REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Chef Hung's Tawainese Beef Noodle - Any Reviews?

Live and work at UBC. UBC Branch opening here soon in South Campus Chef Hung Beef Noodle

Tried to find out when it opens but the listed phone number does not work yet.

Any reviews from existing locations? Is it any good?

It's kind of a waste land for Asian food up here in UBC and surrounding areas and to have a good go to place would make me very happy.

Thanks in advance RS.

<Excuse the Misspelling of Taiwan in the title please ... thank you>
Advertisement

Last edited by DD//M3; 08-07-2012 at 12:12 PM.
DD//M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
There was a lot of hype back when they first opened in Aberdeen. Noodles are ok. Better quality for sure then whats already available at UBC.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Noodles and handmade. Not bad in terms of taste. A little pricey for it though (9 dollars +)
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Who's naughty? I___i

They have opened a couple locations now but I have only tried the one in Aberdeen when Chef Hung himself was actually here.

It's better than your food court beef noodle but $10+/add tax and tips is pricey for a bowl of noodle.
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
It's above average for beef noodle, evening from soup, noodles and meat are petty solid, but nothing i would get excited about. would say it's still at least worth one try.
Culverin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Worth to try once but I won't go back, it's kind of overpriced for the tiny portion you get.
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Ouch. I was interested when I saw the title of this thread, but the price is gonna prevent my sampling of Hung's noodle.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
I am Hook'd on RS

That's the thing, when you live in the outer part of Vancouver with a complete lack of good asian food you tend to look at the extra 2 to 3 dollars per bowl as equivalent to how much gas you would spend driving to a decent place elsewhere.

Last edited by DD//M3; 08-09-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I went to the Chef Hung in West Vancouver and the food was pretty good. Kinda pricey though.
GeneralCho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
I LOVE SQWAT

I quite like Chef Hung. I get the braised beef shank noodles which is $8; not much more than what other beef noodle places charge. I like the $11 champion beef shank noodles too but not worth the $3 difference IMO.

Chicken nuggets are also good, but portion is small.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
If your someone who relies heavily on food review sites then UrbanSpoon has it rated at 50% with 198 people voted which is terrible. Consider the fact that Guu at Aberdeen is pretty notorious for people saying it's terrible, even they have a 79% rating with 238 votes which shocks me.

In my opinion, Chef Hung isn't anything special. Lets not take the price into consideration for a moment but the beef noodle alone isn't anything to be desired. It isn't horrible but I would rate it as avg at best. Now throw in the price which is almost double then well we got some problems here. However, you live and work at UBC and people in your situation are often forced with limited options. I would say if it's a day where you really want to eat a Beef Noodle but you don't really have an option then go for it but otherwise I would avoid it.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
I am Hook'd on RS

Considering the Chinese population up here at UBC, not even including Students, then you would think there would be one decent Cafe, Won Ton house or Restaurant?

Or how about decent Sushi...etc.

Last edited by DD//M3; 08-10-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Considering the food selection at UBC saves people from driving off campus to eat lunch and come back
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I share the sentiment of many of the posts above me already.
The noodles are "good" but not worth the price. There are definitely better noodles for lower prices in Vancouver.
It was a huge rage when it first opened a couple years ago, there would be 30+ min lineups at the Aberdeen location every afternoon. I was and sure enough nowadays it's barely half full in there.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I share the sentiment of many of the posts above me already.
The noodles are "good" but not worth the price. There are definitely better noodles for lower prices in Vancouver.
It was a huge rage when it first opened a couple years ago, there would be 30+ min lineups at the Aberdeen location every afternoon. I was and sure enough nowadays it's barely half full in there.
Hey there are FIVE Japanese Restaurants at UBC and they all SUCK!

Time to expand up here. Students and Staff drink a lot ...
Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
degenerate extraordinaire

the hype back then

it's good enough to try once, but not good enough to return

exact sentiments with the people above: it's average (read: it's edible) but nothing to warrant the price .
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #17
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,042 Times in 2,076 Posts
$9 isn't very expensive for a meal. Handmade noodles too. I pay $9 for pho regularly, even fast food burger meals are $9 these days... Can't eat sushi for less than $15 unless you want to leave hungry..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
Ebisu Boss

^ Where do you go for such expensive noodles?!... most places I know that sell pho and beef noodle are in the $6-$7 range which comes out to just under $9 after taxes.
Chef Hung sells it for $9+ for one bowl so it comes out to over $10 for 1 bowl and the portions are small as well. They are pretty good noodles (as in it's not bland or disgusting) and I know it's just nickle and diming now talking about a couple dollars difference. But the point is that I don't really see a reason to purposely drive out there to try these "Hung noodles" just to end up overpaying for a bowl of noodles that could be had elsewhere, closer to you and cheaper.

This is speaking from personal experience mind you. I would not drive out to Richmond to park in the shitty lot that is Aberdeen only for Chef Hung when I can eat at Beefy Beef on Main street which is 5 minutes away from me. Actually when I somehow end up at Aberdeen I'd still rather eat at the food court lol
Old 08-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
$9 isn't very expensive for a meal. Handmade noodles too. I pay $9 for pho regularly, even fast food burger meals are $9 these days... Can't eat sushi for less than $15 unless you want to leave hungry..
You're comparing apples to oranges, of course Sushi is going to be more expensive, unless you are referring to places like Samurai which I don't even consider sushi.
Paying $10 for a small bowl of beef brisket and noodles on the other hand, like what most of the people already stated above is just not "worth it"
Old 08-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Yea, where the hell do you get $9 pho. I didn't even think such a price existed in Van.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #21
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Yea, where the hell do you get $9 pho. I didn't even think such a price existed in Van.
Kim Phung on 41st & Victoria.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: