REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
garage makeover.. need some advice/help

well, the gawtdamn garage bug has bitten me which made me decide to do some garage makeover for my garage to prepare for the upcoming winter when my car will be stored and what not.. and also to make it look pretty as its an absolute mess right now.

im a complete NOOB when it comes to stuff like this so please bare with me.. ive done some research on the internet but havn't had much precise answers yet.. and thought asking the locals would help

couple questions i would like to ask to anyone who may be knowledgeable in the area..

1.) Epoxy floor:
im planning to epoxy the floor, my brother will be helping me.. should i even attempt it myself if i've never done it before?
i want my floor to turn out something like this...

2.) Lighting:
where could i possibly purchase these type of lights at an affordable price? should i attempt to install this myself as well?

3.) Roof bike hooks
i always wanted to do this, but scared that it might not hold and fall off on top of my car lol.. i know that i have to screw it directly onto the wooden part of the house structure, but i dont know if i can trust myself with this one

4.) Cabinets(?)
i dont want anything nice or fancy.. just need something that looks.. well.. suitable for a GARAGE.. all the ones at ikea ive looked at are quite pricey and too nice for it to be in the garage. i could buy some used ones but im going to try and look for new ones first before going there.. any ideas?

these are my noob questions for now, and thank you
Advertisement
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
For cabinets, make them yourself, even if you have little to no woodworking knowledge, they will always come out to your desired size and specs. Its pretty simple too.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
1. Epoxy floor is easy.. rent a storage unit, clear your garage, vacuum, rent a gas power washer wash the floor and get rid of the oil stains, get some concrete patch compound to cover any cracks, read the instructions and apply when dry. That's something you want to do after you have done your lightning and bike rack.

2. Those lightning are pretty cheap to start off with.. Crappy tire usually have them on sale for $10 each. The trick of those lights is wire routing.. especially if you have existing light sockets... as with bike racks. It would be useful if you map out the orientation of your joists and where they are. A stud finder is like $20 at any hardware store? If your garage has a panel, seperate the floor outlets with the lights.. just in case you overload something you wouldn't be left in the dark.

3. Places like Princess auto carries cabinets that honestly is cheaper than getting your own made. eg http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...-Floor-Cabinet check out Lowe's KMS etc. Attach your cabinet to the studs in the wall.

Last edited by godwin; 08-11-2012 at 06:07 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
I opened the Page and saw the first pictures and was like damn, nice garage... Until I saw your questions.

Good luck with your make over!
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Hopeless Romantic

Cool cats epoxy floor meet at jparks house!
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
no

^i provide food and dranks
btw, thanks alot godwin, your answer was really helpful hopefully tackle this project next week when im off work
Old 08-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

wow that is a nice genesis coupe
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.w *// View Post
wow that is a nice genesis coupe
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
1. An epoxy floor is very beginner friendly; it's not difficult, just labour intensive. The quality of the end result will be measured almost entirely in how much attention you give to the prep. Pressure wash extremely well, scrub any oil stains, fill cracks, and I would etch the floor with a muriatic acid solution. It'll take you a couple days at least, because of the drying time required in between all the steps.

2. Those lights are very simple. The ones I've seen do not tie directly into a circuit, they just have a plug. Secure the lights to a joist or rafter you locate using a stud finder, run the plug, done.

3. If you install the hook properly there should be a very slim likelihood that you have any issues. The key will be ensuring you hit the center of the joist/rafter when you pre-drill the holes. If you're a bit paranoid you could put construction adhesive into the hole you drill then screw the hook into place for a bit of added security.

4. It's easy to slap together a shitty set of cabinets with junk wood for cheap yourself, but then you'll have shitty cabinets made of junk wood that are more of an eyesore than a benefit. I would either purchase a set of budget cabinets from PA, CT, etc. or buy a something used someone else made. It's not worth it to DIY, especially if you have limited/no woodworking tools.

And, post pictures of the end result!
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
I don't get it

For the fluorescent lights, make sure you get the ones that work in the cold for the wintertime, something to do with the ballast inside. I bought the regular ones for my service truck and they were really dim when it was cold. The ones I have now are work well at whatever ambient temp it is.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Are those epoxy floors oil proof? That is, if I spill engine oil on it will it stain like concrete or can you just wipe them off? Thanks.
SILVERBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #12

You can wipe it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERBULL View Post
Are those epoxy floors oil proof? That is, if I spill engine oil on it will it stain like concrete or can you just wipe them off? Thanks.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #13

All I can say is take your time and read the instructions.

Oh another thing you should think about when putting in lights is trouble shooting lights.. the ones that hangs from the ceiling and retract when not needed, those are pretty useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
^i provide food and dranks
btw, thanks alot godwin, your answer was really helpful hopefully tackle this project next week when im off work
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #14

Nearly all of them to do that.. especially when close to 0C. I just leave mine on for a while before I need to work in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
For the fluorescent lights, make sure you get the ones that work in the cold for the wintertime, something to do with the ballast inside. I bought the regular ones for my service truck and they were really dim when it was cold. The ones I have now are work well at whatever ambient temp it is.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
+1 on the retractable trouble light. I also use a retractable airline.

When you do the floor, I suggest you go a few inches up the wall too.

Paint the walls. Semi-gloss white walls make the room seem a bit bigger and brighter. Also, helps when you have to wipe dirty paw prints off.

For cabinetry you can always check on CL for someone demoing a kitchen. I would only use the uppers though. Metal base/workbench would be best w/ a very solid top for taking things apart and don't forget the vice.

Once the floor is done, before you start moving stuff in, think about wiring for speakers.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Jpark I also caught the garage Reno bug about a month back.

Epoxy floors- what I've found is what you want to spend. If you want the ultimate garage floor, you have to employ a professional to lay it down and do the whole job for you. Reason being, is that the epoxy is industrial strength stuff and isn't very user friendly for noobs like you and I. Also the professionals are actually certified to work with this stuff. 2 part high solids is your ticket for the ultimate finish and durability, pricey as hell,but so nice you'll park you car on the street and move your bedroom in there, bank on say $1500 and up.

You can find the high solids at general paint for $160 a gallon. Not cheap at all if you consider that 1 gallon of the stuff covers roughly 100 sq ft.$160 was the cheapest I've found, I went to other paint specific stores and got quoted anywhere from $200-$300 per gallon. Don't go to Homo Depot looking for this stuff. Went to 2 of them and got "Huh??" both times.
If you want to do it on a reasonable budget, go to Home depot in the states and get the Rustoleum kit which has enough epoxy to cover approximately an average 2 car garage and is $100 US. The kits they sell in our Canadian Home Depots are basically half the kit in a separate box and go for $75- $99 per kit.

The Rustolem and similar kits consist of a 2 part epoxy but have a low solid content. They also dont include the all important clear epoxy top coat that the professionals do. This means its more prone to hot tire lift , flaking from age,impact and chemicals and you need to reapply the coating every couple of years or so.

The high solids professional stuff stays on the concrete for life and is pretty much bullet proof to whatever you leave on it. If you decide to do it yourself, which ever epoxy you buy, best advice I can give to you is spend a lot of time and attention to prep. Without that no epoxy will stay on the concrete.

Cabinets- I'm not good at wood work, so I looked around the usual places and found a Black and Decker cabinet bench, standing storage cabinet and wall unit for around $500. I went to Home Depot, the pricing was similar for the same set, but I didn't want my garage to look like a bathroom .

Lighting- I did some research and most people go with double lamp 4ft fluorescents. Get ones that have electronic ballasts and you don't have worry about them not turning on in the winter.

As far as wiring them up, quite simple, always turn off the power via the fusebox on the receptacles your working on and if you can match a black wire to another black wire and then the white wire etc your good.

Hope this helps, cuz that's some of what I learned while doing my own batcave.....

Last edited by percevil; 08-11-2012 at 10:13 PM.
percevil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
You can also go with garage floor tiles instead of epoxy and Costco sells a garage mat.

Costco - VersaRoll 6.5 ft. x 20 ft. PVC Garage Flooring

Costco - MotofloorŪ Modular Garage Flooring

Costco - Rhino LiningsŪ Do-it-yourself Epoxy Floor-coating Kit
Old 08-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #18
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Thanks for the links Manic!

I think the optimal solution are the VersaRolls or something similar because they are affordable and easy to install-you just roll it out lol. Also you can readjust or get new ones when you want to.

OT: I just noticed that the garage with the Genesis has carpet surrounding his car LOL.
SILVERBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #19
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,789 Times in 980 Posts
I had my epoxy floor professionally done. I understand that you can DIY, but after asking around, it seems like a noob like me wouldn't really be able to prep the floor as much as it deserves. Giving it a proper wash, treatment, fixing, acid bath, diamond grinding, etc seemed to be too much work. I also didn't want it to peel in a few years and have to redo it.

I spent a bit more to get it professionally done, but it looks great, comes with a warranty, etc.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Just wondering how much a pro job costs, garage size and how long they took?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #21
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I'm probably over thinking here, but there's a nearly inevitable likelihood that condensation will build up under the roll out vinyl laid directly onto concrete; especially in our wet climate. Condensation build up will foster mold growth under the vinyl, and possibly act as a catalyst for the concrete degrading and cracking. I wouldn't use it in my home, unless there was a thermal break (insulation) underneath the concrete.

Just my 0.02 cents.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #22
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

put in a half height 2 post hoist

Last edited by UnName; 08-12-2012 at 12:51 AM.
UnName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #23
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

tip: if epoxying garage floor, don't paint yourself into a corner =P
ree666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #24
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,255 Times in 1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I had my epoxy floor professionally done. I understand that you can DIY, but after asking around, it seems like a noob like me wouldn't really be able to prep the floor as much as it deserves. Giving it a proper wash, treatment, fixing, acid bath, diamond grinding, etc seemed to be too much work. I also didn't want it to peel in a few years and have to redo it.

I spent a bit more to get it professionally done, but it looks great, comes with a warranty, etc.
final cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl89rl89 View Post
tip: if epoxying garage floor, don't paint yourself into a corner =P
LOL
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

i believe there must be lots of experts on this forum,

but most of stuffs you wish-listed can be done with little help and DIY.

No need to pay big bills to someone to do it for you.

I've also attempted to do the exact same thing on my parents' garage long ago.

and i moved out

Details based on my experience has been pm'd !

give me a ring whenever you need some help !
Mkhun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: