REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   U-turn (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672265-u-turn.html)

HansonBoy 08-13-2012 04:54 PM

U-turn

It's been awhile since my tests, but are U-turns prohibited as long as there are ANY lines separating the opposite sides of traffic? Yellow or white, broken or solid, doesn't matter? Does this mean that u-turns are basically illegal in most streets, and should only be attempted in small residential roads?

Sky_High 08-13-2012 06:06 PM

Learn to Drive Smart
Your guide to driving safely

Are you a new driver getting ready for a knowledge or road test?
Or a more experienced driver just wanting to brush up your skills?
Then take some time to read and study the B.C. driving guide, Learn to Drive Smart.

ICBC | driver-full.pdf

HansonBoy 08-13-2012 06:22 PM

Yeah I have that book. It sounded too good to be true, thats why i went online to confirm. At first, when i googled i found this link:

Quote:

First of all, if there is any type of line painted down the center of the highway one must not make a U-turn over it. It doesn't matter if it is double solid, single solid, solid and broken or a single broken line. Only the complete absence of a line allows the maneuver, subject to other limitations.
http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/turns/u-turns

So this is only for highways? Which means, let's say I'm on W.Broadway at night, very little traffic and no oncoming cars at all, no cars behind me, I make a u-turn, it is legal?

Every where I read, U-Turns are generally discouraged, but the general consensus seems to be "only do it if it's safe".

ruthless 08-13-2012 06:35 PM

Imma throw something else into the equation, what about at left turn signals, designated left turn only lanes.

For example I have the green left turn arrow flashing green, am I allowed make a u-turn?
Also I know there are signs at some left turn lanes which say U-turns are allowed when left turn arrow green, but not all lanes have them...

littledog 08-13-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HansonBoy (Post 8002524)
Yeah I have that book. It sounded too good to be true, thats why i went online to confirm. At first, when i googled i found this link:

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/turns/u-turns

So this is only for highways? Which means, let's say I'm on W.Broadway at night, very little traffic and no oncoming cars at all, no cars behind me, I make a u-turn, it is legal?

Every where I read, U-Turns are generally discouraged, but the general consensus seems to be "only do it if it's safe".

I believe there is a painted center-dividing yellow line on Broadway therefore you are not allowed to make a U-turn. Also, keep in mind the legal definition of "highway"

Simnut 08-13-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthless (Post 8002535)
Imma throw something else into the equation, what about at left turn signals, designated left turn only lanes.

For example I have the green left turn arrow flashing green, am I allowed make a u-turn?
Also I know there are signs at some left turn lanes which say U-turns are allowed when left turn arrow green, but not all lanes have them...

What you say? Oh...sorry...still enjoying your avatar :D

littledog 08-13-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

U-turns are prohibited at intersections unless there's a sign specifically says otherwise.

(Rant: The U-turns permitted sign that used to be on No.3 road when the bus lane was in really screwed up a lot of drivers in Richmond even today)

wing_woo 08-14-2012 09:21 AM

I believe the wording I saw was that U-turns are not permitted at any intersections that have a traffic control device. ie. if you are at an intersection that has a traffic light or stop sign, you are not allowed to do a U-turn unless there is a sign saying you can.

What I hate about people doing u-turns while a left turn arrow is on for them is that they turn so wide that when I'm doing a right turn onto the street that they are u-turning onto, I have to watch out for them cause they will turn into my lane.

The other thing I hate is if I'm on the other direction turning left and someone is waiting to do a u-turn, they'll be really far to the right of the left turn lane which then blocks my view of oncoming traffic.

Sky_High 08-14-2012 02:13 PM

My GPS always randomly tell me to U-Turn on random streets :fuckthatshit:

sebberry 08-14-2012 02:53 PM

They really shouldn't have those "No U-Turn" signs scattered about. People think that in the absence of that sign they're permitted to do a U-Turn.

spc 08-14-2012 07:21 PM

Reverse turn
MVA 168 Except as provided by the bylaws of a municipality or the laws of a treaty first nation, a driver must not turn a vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction

(a) unless the driver can do so without interfering with other traffic, or,

(b) when he or she is driving

(i) on a curve,

(ii) on an approach to or near the crest of a grade where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of another vehicle approaching from either direction within 150 m,

(iii) at a place where a sign prohibits making a U-turn,

(iv) at an intersection where a traffic control signal has been erected, or

(v) in a business district, except at an intersection where no traffic control signal has been erected.

LP700-4 08-15-2012 10:42 AM

Someone i know told me that U-turns are prohibited in residential areas in vancouver? Is that true?

nabs 08-15-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

I did the green arrow U-turn twice today as well, am wondering the same thing.

Brad Fuel 08-16-2012 10:09 AM

Doing a U-Turng at a left turn controlled by an arrow is ILLEGAL. That would be an intersection controlled by a traffic control device.

Refer to S.168(b)(iv) MVA. spc posted it a couple posts up.

littledog 08-16-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabs (Post 8004227)
I did the green arrow U-turn twice today as well, am wondering the same thing.

That's illegal and you should have gotten a ticket today...twice.

-ensay- 08-25-2012 01:33 AM

Every municipality has a different bylaw I believe.

Brad Fuel 08-25-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -ensay- (Post 8012529)
Every municipality has a different bylaw I believe.

WRONG in this context. Highways are governed by the Motor Vehicle Act which is a Provincial act, not bylaws. Essentially, the driving laws are the same all across BC.

But yes every municipality does have different bylaws...