REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Seattle Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/seattle-automotive-chat_158/)
-   -   Right turn on red, is it allow ? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672288-right-turn-red-allow.html)

Greenstoner 08-13-2012 10:58 PM

Right turn on red, is it allow ?

As title, may sound stupid but i wanted to confirm if right turn on red is allow in seattle ?

I applied the same rule as driving in vancouver but i heard in some places in washington turning right on red is illegal ?? ( turning right on red is always legal in vancouver unless special sign is posted)

Ver.Mitsubishi 08-14-2012 12:00 AM

i always see seperate red lights for right turners in belingham so it looks like no

finbar 08-14-2012 10:58 AM

unless otherwise posted, Yes! after coming to a full and complete stop.

InvisibleSoul 08-14-2012 11:33 AM

It looks like Washington State is same as BC.

RCW 46.61.055: Traffic control signal legend.

(a) Vehicle operators facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection control area and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. However, the vehicle operators facing a steady circular red signal may, after stopping proceed to make a right turn from a one-way or two-way street into a two-way street or into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the right turn; or a left turn from a one-way or two-way street into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the left turn; unless a sign posted by competent authority prohibits such movement. Vehicle operators planning to make such turns shall remain stopped to allow other vehicles lawfully within or approaching the intersection control area to complete their movements. Vehicle operators planning to make such turns shall also remain stopped for pedestrians who are lawfully within the intersection control area as required by RCW 46.61.235(1).

Jayboogz 08-14-2012 11:42 AM

im not sure bout seattle but down in cali/ LA my fam says dont turn on reds.

Araaadi 08-14-2012 11:46 AM

i believe its legal unless specified, i got sent a ticket for turning right on a red because i didnt see the sign that says it was illegal. I rather be safe and not get a ticket and just stop turning right on reds. Saving a minute waiting for a light isnt worth $140

InvisibleSoul 08-14-2012 02:10 PM

Not sure why people are still guessing when I posted the excerpt from Washington State's government website.

If you want more hard facts, there's also this from Seattle's government website:

Municipal Court of Seattle - Ticket Payment

Quote:

NOTE: A complete stop is required before turning right at a red light. If you were ticketed while making a right turn, the police officer who reviewed the video and issued the ticket determined that you did not come to a complete stop before making the turn, as required by law.
So yeah, it's the same as in BC.

TheSalesman 08-24-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Araaadi (Post 8003154)
i believe its legal unless specified, i got sent a ticket for turning right on a red because i didnt see the sign that says it was illegal. I rather be safe and not get a ticket and just stop turning right on reds. Saving a minute waiting for a light isnt worth $140

Where is the fail button?
So you're going to hold up traffic because you can't read traffic signs? :facepalm:

Renthal 08-24-2012 05:28 AM

yeah i was just driving down and LA and was trying to figure out about turning on reds… some people were doing it, some were not