REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Seat Belts Save Lives

I've witnessed the immediate aftermath of three fatal car accidents over the course of my life, each scene is engrained in my memory. Tonight, I very nearly witnessed a fourth.

Driving home tonight on a dark quiet country road, I was shocked to see a young man standing in the middle flagging me down. At first I was confused, but then a blood soaked young girl and severely damaged car came into view and it all made sense.

The young man had lost control and the car had careened into a field, I suspect as a result of a tire catching loose gravel on the shoulder. The car only barely avoided a truck parked in the field; a truck that would have brought them to a dead stop instead of the relatively gentle one that occurred.

Even with that relatively gentle stop, the young girl, who was not wearing a seat belt, hit the windshield and has a very serious head injury. If the car had hit the truck, I would likely have come across a young man who had just killed his girlfriend and the body of a young life cut short.

The young man was totally fine, he'll be sore but nothing more, because he was wearing a seat belt.

So, remember everyone...

Wear your damn seat belts, and make your passengers do the same, because when you get behind the wheel it's not only your life in your hands.

Thanks.
Advertisement
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
I never understood why people don't wear seat belts =/

It's safety and common sense at the same time, aaaand it's annoying when the seat belt light comes on and beeps on and on, for newer cars at least.

I also never understood the "I'm in the back seat so I don't need to wear a seat belt" wut
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

What I hate is being in taxis in third world countries where they hide the seatbelt buckles under the rear seats so you can't buckle up.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Some of my friends came from countries where it was legal to not wear the seat belt when sitting in the back seats of a car, so whenever they sit in my car, I always have to remind them to buckle up.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
from where I was from... it's only illegal if you dont buckle up on the highway.
i'm sure the laws are different now but I've witnessed people flying to the windshield and cracking it..luckily they suffered no injuries but it's pretty scary

i've also seen an x-ray of someone who didn't wear their seatbelts..and their jaws literally fractured into pieces when they hit the steering wheel...so to me it seems stupid for people to install racing wheels in their cars, unless it's purely a track car and you'll be wearing helmet all the time it doesn't seem worth it to have wheels without SRS
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Thanks Dad.

LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
from where I was from... it's only illegal if you dont buckle up on the highway.
Welcome to Vancouver. We don't have any real "highways" here but that doesn't stop everyone from doing highway speeds on regular roads.

I always wear my seatbelt... I know how to drive, but I don't trust a single one of you idiots out there.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
I never start my car without a seat belt if i am about to drive.
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post

I also never understood the "I'm in the back seat so I don't need to wear a seat belt" wut
I think it's because if you do go forward, the two front seats will stop your momentum. Correct me if I'm wrong - but that is my guess.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Buckling up should be a habitual, subconscious behaviour. It's tantamount to sitting in the seat of the car.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
if you need to think about wearing a seat belt you need to gtfo my car.
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I think it's because if you do go forward, the two front seats will stop your momentum. Correct me if I'm wrong - but that is my guess.
where as if you flip you are going to no get stopped by the front seats... idiots

My best friend and i were run off a gravel road when an oncoming white truck was speeding through the middle of the blind corner, we missed head on by inches but the passenger rear dropped over the edge of the ditch and my friend lost control, slid to the side then he over corrected and slid into the ditch on the left

Wear your seat belts, only injuries were my cuts from the shattered window, and some bruising but we both walked away and were sore for a few weeks.
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Quote:
I still rather be secured by a seatbelt than to get slammed into the front seats though lol I hope seatbelt sensors get installed in the back seats in new cars soon as a requirement
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
I never start my car without a seat belt if i am about to drive.
Never start a car if your passengers are not buckled up, and DO NOT allow your passengers to read a book or to fall asleep, it's as bad as not buckling up. Pay attention to the road will likely to survive in an accident.

I say that because my neighbour died in a collision, she was reading a book in the backseat, her head smashed the rear window.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Thanks Dad.

You're welcome, Son.

At times some of us may forget, RS has a lot of members ranging from their mid-to-late teens. Teens as inexperienced drivers are far more likely to be involved in an accident; they have a propensity to behave foolishly and flout rules for no logical reason; and are especially vulnerable to peer pressure making it difficult to stand up to a passenger not wearing a seat belt. It's those young members that this post is most directed at. Making mistakes in youth is to be expected, but leaving seat belts dangling is simply not a mistake that can afford to be made.

If an adult chooses to not wear a seat belt and is involved in an accident, frankly they're past the age where I would give them any sympathy for injuries sustained. It's just a matter of natural selection, then.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #16
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Wearing a seat belt for me is a habitual, subconscious act. I even feel slightly anxious not wearing it and I get absolutely no benefit not wearing it (I don't feel mild discomfort in the first place).

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I've got a relative that refuses to wear seatbelt. He said he drove many years without incident and he's good enough of a driver that he won't need seatbelts. The weird part is that his wife agrees with him. WTF.
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
I've got a relative that refuses to wear seatbelt. He said he drove many years without incident and he's good enough of a driver that he won't need seatbelts. The weird part is that his wife agrees with him. WTF.
good enough ... until the first hit that is. Some people have absolutely no sense for risk.
synchro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Then you end up like me.
Buddy in the back seat was 240lbs and not wearing his belt. I was in the front seat, wearing my belt. When we hit the tree he flew forward with such force that it pushed me into the windshield smashing 6 teeth, and fracturing my neck.

Wear your motherfucking seat belts, please.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Never start a car if your passengers are not buckled up, and DO NOT allow your passengers to read a book or to fall asleep, it's as bad as not buckling up. Pay attention to the road will likely to survive in an accident.

I say that because my neighbour died in a collision, she was reading a book in the backseat, her head smashed the rear window.
i remember reading or watching something that states dogs and babies are more likely to come out of an accident better because their body is relaxed when the accident occurs thus helps prevent injuries. The reason why you would be more prone to accidents when you are aware is because your body tenses up a lot and you naturally try to over correct the forces of impact which increases injuries.
So shouldn't the passenger reading a book or not paying attention be better?
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I don't understand how people don't put on seat belts. It has became a second nature to just get into the car and just buckle up. it doesn't even bother your driving.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
When I get into a car, I feel uncomfortable not wearing a seatbelt.
I like the feeling of something holding me onto the seat and it's always a safety precaution I don't want to forget.
I only got one life, and I'm not stupid enough to risk it by not wearing a damn belt that doesn't even seem uncomfortable to have around me
ForeverYours is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,452 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverYours View Post
When I get into a car, I feel uncomfortable not wearing a seatbelt.
Took the words right out of my mouth (no homo)

my cousin was driving a car with his friend in the passenger seat with no seat belt, they lost control of the car and hit a cement post under BC place. cousin lived, the friend didn't.
jepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #24
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
You're welcome, Son.

At times some of us may forget, RS has a lot of members ranging from their mid-to-late teens. Teens as inexperienced drivers are far more likely to be involved in an accident; they have a propensity to behave foolishly and flout rules for no logical reason; and are especially vulnerable to peer pressure making it difficult to stand up to a passenger not wearing a seat belt. It's those young members that this post is most directed at. Making mistakes in youth is to be expected, but leaving seat belts dangling is simply not a mistake that can afford to be made.

If an adult chooses to not wear a seat belt and is involved in an accident, frankly they're past the age where I would give them any sympathy for injuries sustained. It's just a matter of natural selection, then.
People obviously fail if they can't detect sarcasm with a . I do agree with you.

I look back at some of the stuff I did in my teen years and just go .

Life is short, and life is fragile. We all seem to forget too often.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: