REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #476
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
Brb, checking what else you did on my computer
Advertisement
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #477
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
!NR: i found a drift HD1080 on ebay for 200$, i think i'm gonna buy that. free shipping to the states, pick it up at PR
Damn ss brake lines, want a camera so bad but cant afford

Maybe ill just strap my t3i to my chest and roll out some video
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #478
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
I have an old mini cam you can have if you want. Not hd but decent quality in daylight. Don't even need a harness just clip it on.
Posted via RS Mobile
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #479
Need to Seek Professional Help

Anyone know or had experience with suomy or shark helmets? The only model I tried locally was the suomy vandal; I'd like to try the spec 1r extreme/excel.
As for shark, haven't seen any around. Looking at the rsr2 model; has anyone seen anything local?
Thanks!
Posted via RS Mobile
v1nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #480
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

^AFAIK Shark no longer offered in Canada, with maybe the exception direct from Yamaha back east. You can however get a shop to special order it for you, or order online (Revzilla). No experience with Suomy so I cannot comment.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #481
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 3,568 Times in 291 Posts
Weooo buddy doing a wheelie.. He actually went much further but I had to get my hands back on the steering wheel lmao
Posted via RS Mobile
benjiggla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #482
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

wanting to buy a bike real soon off of craigslist. what kind of process do you guys like to go through in terms of seeing if the bike is in good condition or not? check out the bike yourself, take it for a ride then take it to a dealership to have it checked out?
kev1n9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #483
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

I would schedule a visual look-see visit first, as pictures often lie. (whoever said pictures don't lie should be shot).

look for tell-tale signs. ie cracked fairings, usage/abuse. Check the tires for wear and chicken strips (that can tell you how aggressive the owner has been with the bike). Fluid leaks ie oil or coolant or other, check the suspension travel if it's abnormal. Check chain for rust and/or wear. These can be done visually. Obviously if the forks or frame looks bent, walk away.

If above mentioned criterias look decent and you are commiting to it, request a vin # so you can check the history, if any. If possible and if owner allows, a short ride around the block can let you feel if there is anything amiss. (chances are most owners will not allow test rides unless they have cash in hand. fyi), If the owner doesn't allow test rides, ask if they are willing to ride it to a shop of your choice for an inspection.

go from there.

I may have missed something, feel free to add or correct if needed.

Good luck!

Which bike are you looking to get anyways?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by !NR View Post
I would schedule a visual look-see visit first, as pictures often lie. (whoever said pictures don't lie should be shot).

look for tell-tale signs. ie cracked fairings, usage/abuse. Check the tires for wear and chicken strips (that can tell you how aggressive the owner has been with the bike). Fluid leaks ie oil or coolant or other, check the suspension travel if it's abnormal. Check chain for rust and/or wear. These can be done visually. Obviously if the forks or frame looks bent, walk away.

If above mentioned criterias look decent and you are commiting to it, request a vin # so you can check the history, if any. If possible and if owner allows, a short ride around the block can let you feel if there is anything amiss. (chances are most owners will not allow test rides unless they have cash in hand. fyi), If the owner doesn't allow test rides, ask if they are willing to ride it to a shop of your choice for an inspection.

go from there.

I may have missed something, feel free to add or correct if needed.

Good luck!

Which bike are you looking to get anyways?
Ahhh all very helpful tips, thanks! Was looking at either the R6 or CBR 600RR but there's not many R6's up for sale in my price range. Also read into some weird problems with the R6 with the engine cutting off? Sorta trying to steer away from that now and got my eye on the CBR haha. Hopefully this bike is in good condition and lasts me a while without any problems! Will be my first bike purchase too!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #485
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n9121 View Post
Ahhh all very helpful tips, thanks! Was looking at either the R6 or CBR 600RR but there's not many R6's up for sale in my price range. Also read into some weird problems with the R6 with the engine cutting off? Sorta trying to steer away from that now and got my eye on the CBR haha. Hopefully this bike is in good condition and lasts me a while without any problems! Will be my first bike purchase too!
Which gen R6/CBR are you thinking of? First bike purchase? I'm pretty sure your friends have mentioned or maybe suggested something else, maybe a ninja 250R or something else to start. I personally suggest that as well and not limiting yourself to those 2 choices. R6 is a lot of bike, I would recommend a couple seasons honing your skills beforehand.

but ultimately it is your choice, but I do hope you consider my advice.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #486

Quote:
Which gen R6/CBR are you thinking of? First bike purchase? I'm pretty sure your friends have mentioned or maybe suggested something else, maybe a ninja 250R or something else to start. I personally suggest that as well and not limiting yourself to those 2 choices. R6 is a lot of bike, I would recommend a couple seasons honing your skills beforehand.

but ultimately it is your choice, but I do hope you consider my advice.
03/04 for both CBR and R6. I've only rode the Sherpa at PRS so I don't know how the Ninja compares to it.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #487
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n9121 View Post
03/04 for both CBR and R6. I've only rode the Sherpa at PRS so I don't know how the Ninja compares to it.
Ah the super sherpas at Prs. It's a night and day difference between them and the ninja 250rs. A few good starter bikes would be the aforementioned ninja250r, cbr250, gs500e/f, all good nimble machines to start of with a forgiving. Look into those as well.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #488
Why'd you do that for?

i'd recommend the ninja 250 as well as a starter bike, but most people would want to upgrade relatively quick to a 600cc. Go for a 600cc if you want to save the time but keep in mind that its a load of bike to learn on imo.

In terms of checking bikes out:
- What !NR said
- Check engine/clutch covers on both sides to see if any scratches are present (can tell if its been dropped
- Bar ends on both sides
- See how the bike starts when its cold WITHOUT any throttle. Feel the engine cover to make sure bike is cold or even turn the bike on to see temperature to see if owner started the bike before you came to see. This can show signs of battery wear, bike hasn't been up to date on maintenance, bike has been stored for a while.
- Get to know the owner...i know i'll probably get flamed for this but use your best judgement to see the owner's personality. I would rather buy a bike from a mature owner than a younger gentleman in his 20s.

Keep in mind that 03/04 CBR is about 10 years old and seeing how we have a short season in Vancouver, I find that bikes are sitting and going through owners relatively quick. If you consider a 250 ninja, you'll find yourself being able to find a clean unmolested one that can be sold back into the market with ease

Goodluck!
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #489
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i started on a '78 GS400 that cost me 500$... i didn't give a shit about it and that is a perfect bike to start on. you can drop it, shrug it off, pick up the bike and carry on...

not worry about replacing a thousand dollars in fairings...

this is just my opinion though.

---------------------------

on a different note, just ordered a set of BT-45's for my bike =D my tires are starting to show their age, and the front and rear are different brands lol.

rear is a challenger, front is (and i just noticed this) a BT-45

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #490
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiggla View Post
Weooo buddy doing a wheelie.. He actually went much further but I had to get my hands back on the steering wheel lmao
Lubeass wheelie - YouTube
Posted via RS Mobile

I hope your buddy signed up to be an organ donor.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #491
Prove them wrong

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there were any local stores that would be selling alpinestar leather jackets.

I'm looking into getting the GPR perforated one.
Alpinestars GP-R Perforated Leather Jacket - Canada's Motorcycle

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
AuStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #492
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy- View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there were any local stores that would be selling alpinestar leather jackets.

I'm looking into getting the GPR perforated one.
Alpinestars GP-R Perforated Leather Jacket - Canada's Motorcycle

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Holeshot
Bayside Performance
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:36 AM   #493
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Quote:
^AFAIK Shark no longer offered in Canada, with maybe the exception direct from Yamaha back east. You can however get a shop to special order it for you, or order online (Revzilla). No experience with Suomy so I cannot comment.
Shark was a pain in the ass to get into North America. They had the worst distributor in NA and their lead times were horrendous. Highly not recommended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk604 View Post
i'd recommend the ninja 250 as well as a starter bike, but most people would want to upgrade relatively quick to a 600cc. Go for a 600cc if you want to save the time but keep in mind that its a load of bike to learn on imo.

In terms of checking bikes out:
- What !NR said
- Check engine/clutch covers on both sides to see if any scratches are present (can tell if its been dropped
- Bar ends on both sides
- See how the bike starts when its cold WITHOUT any throttle. Feel the engine cover to make sure bike is cold or even turn the bike on to see temperature to see if owner started the bike before you came to see. This can show signs of battery wear, bike hasn't been up to date on maintenance, bike has been stored for a while.
- Get to know the owner...i know i'll probably get flamed for this but use your best judgement to see the owner's personality. I would rather buy a bike from a mature owner than a younger gentleman in his 20s.

Keep in mind that 03/04 CBR is about 10 years old and seeing how we have a short season in Vancouver, I find that bikes are sitting and going through owners relatively quick. If you consider a 250 ninja, you'll find yourself being able to find a clean unmolested one that can be sold back into the market with ease

Goodluck!
All very valid points and great advice.

I'll throw in my 5 cents:

1. I went through a handful of 49cc scooters
2. Went to 125cc - 150cc manual transmission scooters (Vespa)
3. Took lessons @ PRS on their Sherpa, Honda Rebel, Suzuki Maurader, and Suzuki GS500
4. Bought myself a beater 2-stroke 200cc Yamaha RD200 (that thing was fast)
5. Bought myself a 1979 Yamaha SR500 cafe racer (recently sold)

I've been bike-less since last month but I don't miss riding. Why? Because I find that big displacement bikes, particularly sport bikes have no place in the city.

I don't ride much. I went out maybe 4 times last year? One of the rides was to a RS Stock and Noobie meet at Ironwood Plaza. Even then, with a single cylinder 500cc bike, I wasn't able to take advantage of its capabilities. I could ride throughout town in 3rd gear tops. I tried Alphamale's CBR600 F4i and managed to ride around in 2nd gear all over the place.

Mind you, I rode mainly in the city but ultimately what I'm trying to get at is that a 250cc bike is good for a beginner and more bike than any of us really need. Will it be as exhilarating as a 600cc bike? Of course not, but will it achieve the same purpose for you to just ride? Yes. There are so many times where I just want to get onto a 600cc sport bike and just tear up the streets but we all know that there are severe consequences with that. I know that I got that urge for speed and the adrenaline rush but because I knew that I'd be a dare devil on the street, I decided it was best not to pursue this any further knowing I'd kill myself (and others.)

Case in point - I saw a group of guys riding their Yamaha R6s over the Burrard Bridge on Sunday while Alphamale and I struggled to ride our bicycles on the bike lane. Sure, it looked cool and all but it's sad when a bicycle is keeping up with a 600cc sport bike on a Sunday afternoon. That reminded me why I didn't miss riding.

Good luck!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-03-2013 at 02:43 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #494

thanks so much for the feedback guys! these are all very helpful tips and advices!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #495
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

can anyone recommend me some good shops in east van area.ive been trying to get my bike started but no luck...seems like i need to clean my carbs but i dont really know how to and i dont wanna mess it up even more.anyone have any experience with a place called rising sun?i googled them and its seems like they even pick up motorcycles.
areyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #496
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

what kind of bike is it
Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
what kind of bike is it
09 ninja 250
Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #498
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

how long has the bike been sitting for
Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #499
Support Team Mod

You are in Burnaby, two shops Burnaby Kawasaki or Imperial

Burnaby Kawasaki | Kawasaki dealership in BURNABY, BC V3N 1B9

imperialmotorcycles.com

Imperial may be cheaper

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
how long has the bike been sitting for
since october