REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Left at Intersection with two lanes, oncoming car turns into left lane not curb lane (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672793-left-intersection-two-lanes-oncoming-car-turns-into-left-lane-not-curb-lane.html)

Mr.Vic 08-23-2012 08:59 PM

Left at Intersection with two lanes, oncoming car turns into left lane not curb lane

Hey all, not sure if it has been asked already but I couldn't find a thread covering it..

diagram: http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/728...iondrawing.png

So I am in a left turn lane (#1) in a 4 lane intersection, turning left. the oncoming car (#2) in the curb lane is turning right.

I make my left turn staying in the far left lane closest to double yellow line, the oncoming car (#2) takes a right and decides to drive through the curb lane into the left lane where I am (#1)

Am I right in that the car #2 would 100% at fault for not turning into the curb lane as they are turning onto a double lane road? green line indicates what they should do, red line shows what generally happens.

I have had so many close calls because of this and I am pretty confident that I am in the right, because I was taught that you must always turn in the lane closest to you...

make me so angry. I usually end up yelling the other driver and usually get a herp derp look in return like they don't know what they did wrong.

if I'm wrong good to know.. but if I am right... gawd dammit people if your making a right turn in a two lane road, stay in the f*cking curb lane!!!

anyone else deal with this kind of situation?

dahonga 08-23-2012 09:24 PM

Yea it is law that any vehicle turning right at an intersection must turn into the first available lane closest to the curb.

Not worth it to get into a car accident over this though because left turners have a harder time explaining their case since right turners have right of way on a green light unless you have video evidence.

Mr.Vic 08-23-2012 09:36 PM

thanks, I had thought so.. and yeah, not looking to get into an accident, I always am very cautious in this situation. and thanks for confirming that the car turning left would likely be at fault unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

yray 08-24-2012 03:40 AM

I always thought right turning person will always have the right. So even if the driver is all retarded and turns into the fast lane, right turning person is always right regardless unless he/she didn't stop at a red light.

Usually, if I have to do a left turn with a right turning car I will go behind the right turner... if he/she does go retarded, they would pit themselves :lawl:

zulutango 08-24-2012 06:24 AM

You must turn into the closest clear lane. If they did not immediately enter the curb lane and a crash resulted, they would be held at fault...specially as you had already entered first to be in the position where they hit you. You had a longer distance to go and they still hit you, therefore you were there first in the intersection.

wing_woo 08-24-2012 04:02 PM

Same goes for when I am turning right onto the very right lane when the advanced left is on. I see so many turn into the lane I should be turning into.

sebberry 08-24-2012 04:52 PM

Fewer and fewer people care about lane discipline these days. Just this afternoon I was in the right lane about 2 car lengths back from the intersection ready to make a right turn when the car just in front in the left lane decides to make the right turn.

If I wasn't already on the brake to pull back from his blind spot he would have hit me.

BallPeenHammer2 08-27-2012 10:45 PM

that's why I roll with a dash cam.

It's gotten me out of jams a few times.

zulutango 08-28-2012 05:06 AM

:fullofwin:Except when encountering sudden stops or black ice? :devil: