REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   so i was thinking today... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672810-so-i-thinking-today.html)

mr_chin 08-24-2012 01:44 AM

so i was thinking today...

you know how there are so many constructions now a days?

what if you got in an accident because of road construction and there is no sign indicating there is road hazards, can you sue the city or file a claim against the city?

one time i drove on boundary and just under the bridge, there was literally ditch, i would say about 3 - 4 inches deep. anyways, i drove over and my car literally made a thump sound and every in my car had that headache feeling.

i know recently just entering knight bridge that there is a steep incline/decline that can really mess my car up if i was going 50 km/h. there were no signs or whatever, just very rough road with no lines.

my car was fine though, but i'm just saying, if you wreck your suspension or bumper or whatever, is the city liable for your damage? given that there is no sign saying caution or slow down or anything indicating that there is a pothole there.

bloodline129 08-24-2012 02:37 AM

U'll sue them, they will put up a sign saying there was one there. U loose. Case closed

wing_woo 08-24-2012 04:04 PM

Happened to me in Richmond. It was at night and raining and they left a huge hole in the ground from the construction and didn't put any warning signs about the hole. Went over it and my tire was damaged (bulging sidewall). Took it up with city of Richmond and they told me it was BC Hydro's project and I should go after them. Went after BC Hydro and they said to go through ICBC. I went back to the city telling them what BC Hydro said and told them I'm not paying a deductible for this. Richmond ended up contacting BC Hydro telling them to pay for me to replace my tire.

Guess it's how lucky you are.

BallPeenHammer2 08-27-2012 10:51 PM

I've had 2 cases myself, with a ton of people coming into the dealership I work at, with the same issue.

U hit something? Take a fucking picture. Everyone's got a camera phone nowadays. It's not difficult to pull over, and do it after u assess damages.

Bloodline: Your answer would only apply if someone didn't do the above recording.

So far, I've only seen 1 customer lose their case, 'cuz we proved it was bogus.

Other than that, the city/hydro/highway assoc. is on the hook.

Case in point: a few years back there was a GIGANTIC pothole in the middle of the Kingsway/Boundary intersection. Pretty much not avoidable.

I had a customer try to stop prior to hitting, and she got rear ended, hurt AND the car ended up being pushed into the hole ANYWAY. BROKE her rim, and caved the whole right front suspension.

Guess who pays?

City of Vancouver. Hands down.
They called me and try to argue it too, saying "well what if this and what if that".
We stuck it to them pretty good.

The_AK 08-28-2012 09:35 AM

There was a road being grooved in richmond and the workers failed to put up any signs. At one point I hit a large pothole that bent my rim. Contacted city of richmond, they directed me to company doing the roadwork. Told them the situation and got approx $300 to repair my rim. Guess I got lucky.