REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #226
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
^ They make more selling phones. However, Samsung doesn't break down their phone sales so there's no way to know how much they make on Android phones or Galaxy variants. Margins on components aren't as good as on finished devices, especially high-end devices which have the biggest margins.
Advertisement
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #227
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
with iPhone 5's imminent release...Samsung joins in on the douchebaggery

This is getting out of hand

Samsung: We'll sue Apple over LTE technology | News | TechRadar
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #228
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

is it douchbaggery or a response to being sued?
or both

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #229
I subscribe to Revscene

Apple started this whole shirad (sp?)
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #230
This title intentionally left blank MOD

charade

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

Samsung won't sue. They're just trying to save face and appear tough.

They already tried to seek injunctions of the 4S on SEP's and failed miserably. They are now the target of an EU anti-trust investigation over their previous attempts, and they're going to try it all over again? Nothing like adding fuel to the fire.

And what are standards bodies going to think of this? When a company like Samsung offers its patents up as a standard, they can't go back and use them as weapons in court to seek injunctions - they can only go to court to collect royalties from someone who hasn't paid. Wait until 5G or 6G come out and Samsung submits their patents to ETSI (for example) for consideration. I bet ETSI will think twice about accepting patents from a company that doesn't respect the rules. Same thing goes for Motorola.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #232
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Samsung pays Apple $1 Billion sending 30 trucks full of 5 cent coins

this sheeet true?

edit: nope it sure isn't...

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #233
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Chinese Clone Company Will Sue Apple Over iPhone 5 Design
Jesus Diaz

The clone manufacturer who released an iPhone 5 knock-off last week now says that they will sue Apple if they release the real iPhone 5 in China. Surreal? Hilarious? Pathetic? All of the above.

Hong Kong-based GooPhone, who designed their cheapo Android phone after the alleged Apple iPhone 5 parts leaked during the last few months, has a very rational argument: they have released their clone first, so everything that comes after that must be a copy, even if they actually made their phone after the parts of a phone that hasn't been released yet but that everyone believes is the real thing.

In other words: since their clone was released first, that makes it the original phone. The iPhone 5 is the actual clone, not theirs.

Makes sense? Of course it doesn't. Who cares! It's fun!

I just hope Samsung is taking notes and hurries up to release an iPhone 5 clone as soon as possible. Come on, Samsung—you got one week! You can totally do this. [Goophone via GizChina via Cult of Mac]
Chinese Clone Company Will Sue Apple Over iPhone 5 Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #234
My homepage has been set to RS

^ its not when it was released... But when the design went on paper..
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #235

Apple reportedly cuts order for Samsung chips for new iPhone | Apple - CNET News
Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #236
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
samsung must be like

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #237
My homepage has been set to RS

If I was Samsung, I wouldn't have sold Apple anything after they announced they were suing. Just out of spite.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #238
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Judge says HTC patents probably valid, could stifle iPhone 5 in US | News | TechRadar

Quote:
HTC's chairperson Cher Wang wasn't kidding around when she said her company had "no intentions" of settling with Apple after Samsung was handed a defeat in their patent lawsuit against the iPhone maker.
The Taiwanese manufacturer is continuing to pursue legal action, as HTC believes Apple is violating two of their patents regarding LTE technology.
Despite having been down a similar road with HTC before, this time around Apple may have a more difficult time earning a victory.
Apple will have to prove the HTC patents are invalid, which an ITC judge believes will be hard to prove.
Regarding the idea that a patent shouldn't have been issued, Judge Thomas Pender said, "Clear and convincing means something to me. I have to be pretty darn certain a U.S. patent is invalid."
A victory for HTC could mean trouble for the iPhone 5

If HTC's patents for LTE technology prove to be valid, Apple could find themselves in a bit of trouble in regards to its use in any of their devices.
With both the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini set to possibly use the 4G wireless technology, it's entirely possible the importing of said devices could be banned in the U.S.
The court filings reveal HTC purchased the patents from ADC Telecommunications Inc for $75 million "to protect itself and its customers from these aggressive tactics and to preserve its ability to compete in the United States."
Despite the path to ownership, Judge Pender believes HTC still has a healthy claim to the patents.
Speaking to Apple's lawyer Michael McKeon, of Fish & Richardson in Washington, Judge Pender said, "I don't care if they bought these patents to sue you or not. They are a property right."
The patent battles continue

This isn't the first time HTC and Apple have tussled over patents, and it certainly isn't the first time Apple has been involved in a patent infringement lawsuit.
However, this outcome of this decision could have a major impact on Apple's success throughout the rest of this year and into 2013.
Additionally, major carriers like Verizon and AT&T, who are anticipating a large push for the rumored upcoming Apple products, could be affected adversely as well.
If previous events are any indication, it's unlikely the issue will be resolved any time soon.
We'll be following the case closely, and will continue to keep you updated on the latest developments.
TL;DR: HTC has LTE patents and HTC isn't licensing it to Apple. If Apple doesn't license them and can't invalidate them, the iPhone can't get sold in the good ol' US of A.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #239
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
but the iphone 5 will be released before they even reach a verdict.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #240
The Lone Wanderator

As soon as they announce that it has LTE (in about 36 hours), HTC can file for a prevention-of-sale injunction; just like apple filed against the Gnex.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #241
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
but the iphone 5 will be released before they even reach a verdict.
That means Apple needs make a MASSIVE recall... paying back people who already bought them... I dont think Apple will be that stupid and give away money...

Apple started this whole thing and IF apple didnt get license, which doesnt sound like it) then they are screwed.. they better come up with MORE goodies to entice people to THINK the iPhone5 is better.... keke

Good Job on HTC to step in and help Samsung/Google...

"The court filings reveal HTC purchased the patents from ADC Telecommunications Inc for $75 million "to protect itself and its customers from these aggressive tactics and to preserve its ability to compete in the United States."
Apple fanboys can still buy their Apple stuff (which has the LTE) overseas.. it just cant be sold in U.S., according to the link
Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #242

LOL at people actually thinking anything will come of this LTE patent dispute. You can't get an injunction over standard essential patents (SEP's). Not in the US, anyway. And you can't ask outrageous prices for your license or charge Apple more than you charge company A, B or C. So you can't hold a company hostage for huge $$$.

BTW, Apple has contributed 44 patents to LTE (that Apple invented themselves, for those people who think Apple never created anything). So if your phone uses LTE/4G, then sorry to say you very likely have Apple created technology in it. On top of the 44 LTE patents Apple owns they also have another 300+ they acquired from the Nortel auction and their stake in Rockstar putting their total just over 400 patents.

Apple has made an official statement they will never sue over SEP's (FRAND patents). It's only the little whiny bitches like Samsung, HTC and Motorola that are trying to get away with this. The entire technology industry agrees with Apple and disagrees with these "rogue" companies.

Now imagine if Apple was as crooked as Samsung/Motorola/HTC. They have enough LTE patents they could shut down every single LTE device sold anywhere in the world. But unlike these companies, Apple follows the rules regarding SEP's.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #243
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^I have to agree with Dagonay with this one. As shitty as the laws are, Apple is playing by the rules. If you don't like the rules, then the company should band together to create the momentum needed to bring patent rules to better coincide with 21st century tech.

*APPL +GOOG shareholder

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #244

The HTC case just keeps getting better.

A crucial witness (Michael Geile, the actual inventor of the two LTE patents HTC is suing Apple over) claims he doesn't know if they are really valid or not. Imagine that - an inventor of something who claims not to know enough about his own invention to be able to determine if it's valid or not.

It was ADC Communications who originally owned the patents and they sold them to HTC. Apparently, they are part of the LTE standard but were never declared to any standards body by ADC or HTC. This is a little odd.

Imagine if you had 100 LTE patents, but only declared 90 of them to a standards setting organization (SSO). Companies line up to license those patents and develop products using your technology. Then a couple years later after LTE becomes a standard you bring out the other 10 patents you kept "hidden" and then try to use those to get money from companies implementing LTE. Does anyone think this practice would be fair?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #245
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
So the witeness came forward after HTC wants to Apple... hmm.. does Apple have anything to do with this "witness"?? just saying
Old 09-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #246

^ You keep looking for things that aren't there to find.

This guy isn't on Apple's side. In fact, Apple is demanding the court sanction the witness.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #247
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Doesn't matter. Can't sue over LTE. Apple will pay HTC a small amount to get them to go away quietly.

If you think anything is stopping the iPhone 5 in the US, you're dreaming.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #248
The Lone Wanderator

One thing this is doing, however, is showing how incredibly broken the patent system is. Huzzah!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Doesn't matter. Can't sue over LTE.
Actually you can sue over LTE or other FRAND patents. You can sue for royalties from a company that refuses to pay. But you can't try to use those patents to seek sales bans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
One thing this is doing, however, is showing how incredibly broken the patent system is. Huzzah!
Nothing wrong with the patent system. It's been working fine for a long time and innovation in technology has been speeding along like gangbusters for the last 30 years. Sure they could make a few tweaks, but they don't need a complete overhaul like many suggest.

Can you even name any cases where a patent battle between major tech companies has hurt consumers or stopped innovation? In order to justify making changes there has to be numerous examples of where the system has failed. One or two cases isn't enough.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #250

sorry for flogging a dead horse

iPod nano looks like a Samsung MP3 player from 2007