REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Schools these day are absurd (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672866-schools-these-day-absurd.html)

asian_XL 08-25-2012 09:59 PM

Schools these day are absurd

Elementary school 10-15 years ago, Macintosh or iMac only appears in the library or computer lab. No one ever needs a Mac to do their homework or to study. Some cool looking binders, calculator, and pens are all we need every September.

Nowaday, schools no longer need a basketball court or playground. Macbooks will keep them all quiet and study. I can foresee the failure of the education system is coming.

Energy 08-25-2012 10:03 PM

Sometimes I feel that we rely on technology too much...

parm104 08-25-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8012979)
Elementary school 10-15 years ago, Macintosh or iMac only appears in the library or computer lab. No one ever needs a Mac to do their homework or to study. Some cool looking binders, calculator, and pens are all we need every September.

Nowaday, schools no longer need a basketball court or playground. Macbooks will keep them all quiet and study. I can foresee the failure of the education system is coming.

When you were in elementary school 10-15 years ago...the rich kids in private schools had more resources...They had more than 2 iMac's in the school. Granted, it wasn't one computer per child but they still have substantially more technological aids than public elementary schools.

Similarly, like in the picture you posted...THAT PRIVATE school has money most probably and so do the parents so they can afford extra luxuries and technology that most schools can't.

I know your point may have been that in general, schools are giving kids more tech. that we didn't have growing up but I'm certain, if you go to a public school in Vancouver, you won't find those Macbooks with every student.

Look at the size of that class and compare it to your elementary school class. Your class would've been 1/3 that size. Private schools aren't geared for play time and story telling time. They're aimed to prepare you for the next level. These students are most probably being taught lessons that will aid them when they need to do homework in high school. Similarly, in high school, they will be taught how to do work on computers for college.

bnguyen220 08-25-2012 11:48 PM

pretty sure that a private school for all those rich and spoil kid public school in van is pretty decent out of 1000 student i said i see like 1 or 2 bring a macbooks to school and we use one of those crappy PC for library not even Imac or Macintosh(only in tech or graphic class) and the pc is soooo slow took forever to load and print something out -_- but true about the basketball and playground thing highschool dont even need it all we do is hang around the hall way but elementary kid still use the playground and the court

kunoman1 08-26-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnguyen220 (Post 8013067)
pretty sure that a private school for all those rich and spoil kid public school in van is pretty decent out of 1000 student i said i see like 1 or 2 bring a macbooks to school and we use one of those crappy PC for library not even Imac or Macintosh(only in tech or graphic class) t

Speaking from personal experience not every private school kid is rich and spoiled..
And not every school is filled with underprivileged kids...what is the point of generalizing private schools as a place filled with spoiled kids and public school as an awful underequipped awful place..

kwy 08-26-2012 12:18 AM

What the fuck are you going on about.

jack3d 08-26-2012 02:25 AM

what difference does this make? Its not like theyre allowed to play games.. the internets got alot of resources, if anything its gonna enhance the learning experience. they still have a gym and playground

asian_XL 08-26-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

What the fuck are you going on about.
^ http://diendan.honvietnam.com/images...edobear_03.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 8013047)
When you were in elementary school 10-15 years ago...the rich kids in private schools had more resources...They had more than 2 iMac's in the school. Granted, it wasn't one computer per child but they still have substantially more technological aids than public elementary schools.

when I worked for LFA in a summer many many years ago, I've already learned the difference. They have a department just to manage the school network. I just feel sorry for these kids not be able to enjoy the school life what is supposed to be, and need google calender to remind them what to do next. I mean, some of them are just grade 7.

pinn3r 08-26-2012 02:45 AM

you jelly 'cause your school didn't have macs back then? :troll:

silvercivicdx 08-26-2012 09:49 AM

they weren't called macs back then

it was a number 2 pencil and lined paper

Geoc 08-26-2012 09:57 AM

That's a private school, I am sure they can afford macbook's on top of basketball courts and playgrounds because of the amount of tuition they receive annually.

Did the school specifically say that they will no longer be needing basketball courts and playgrounds? Why are you creating a strawman argument?

Also, you can't just post one photo of a private school and assume it is status quo for the rest of the education system, that's ludicrous.

k00laid 08-26-2012 09:57 AM

and those fuckiing shity pink erasers that couldnt eraase shit and ripped the paper everytime

Yodamaster 08-26-2012 09:30 PM

I'll probably be telling my grand children the stories of how we came out of class with gray fingers and hand cramps.

It's going to be the new "I walked to school barefoot" stories that you hear from your parents.

Spectre_Cdn 08-26-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k00laid (Post 8013243)
and those fuckiing shity pink erasers that couldnt eraase shit and ripped the paper everytime

Pink Pearl erasers. The only thing they were good for was drawing on them and making them into cars.

Noran 08-26-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 8013663)
I'll probably be telling my grand children the stories of how we came out of class with gray fingers and hand cramps.

It's going to be the new "I walked to school barefoot" stories that you hear from your parents.

Or the walking to school uphill both ways.

yray 08-27-2012 04:22 AM

Don't know why my elementary school had those machintosh classic... they were useless all the time; didn't have word or anything. Only thing its good for is playing simcity 2000 :troll:.

Do they give out free pencils and eraser/month anymore, I remember sneaking into the storage room to steal a box and trading it for stuff :lawl:

GLOW 08-27-2012 07:18 AM

are you concerned that one day we'll forget how to wipe our own asses like in judge dread? :lawl:

Spoon 08-27-2012 08:05 AM

Each generation has their own problems. I remember when I was in elementary/high school, the "problem" was kids having to chug loads of text books and how it was bad for their backs. This solves that.

As a parent, I rather get my kid a laptop than an iphone which I see far too often. Whether you like it or not, computers are part of our lives now (similar to how a tv was part of ours). It's up to parents to help provide them a balance by having them participate in sports and what not. Relying on the school system to do that is just lazy parenting.

marksport 08-27-2012 08:34 AM

Manic! 08-27-2012 10:36 AM

When I went to school we used Windows 95. Some schools today are still running windows 95. Sad state of technology in public schools today.

-ensay- 08-28-2012 04:06 AM

all those poor kids without PCs. </3

forthewinwin 09-16-2012 09:48 PM

Our world is becoming increasingly technology dependent.

What's even worse is they are further trying to encourage and push this.
I mean it's nice, but we are becoming TOO dependent on it, IMO.

I actually find it really awkward doing university math on a computer.

So what would we do if we lost our computers for a while?

T4RAWR 09-16-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 8012984)
Sometimes I feel that we rely on technology too much...

Quote:

Originally Posted by forthewinwin (Post 8031575)
Our world is becoming increasingly technology dependent.

What's even worse is they are further trying to encourage and push this.
I mean it's nice, but we are becoming TOO dependent on it, IMO.

yep.

hell in a hand basket.

1231 10-04-2012 04:33 PM

Good ol Netscape back in the days

vafanculo 10-04-2012 06:21 PM

Pros and cons to all. Face it, we live in a computer based world.

But one thing I'm curiuos about. I didn't depend on a computer until I hit post secondary. So, I grew up with a pen and paper, and one hour of computer class a week. My handwriting sucks balls, now. Do these kids even know handwriting?
Posted via RS Mobile