REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Number of Hours worked question

Hi guys, one of my friends is in dispute with their manager about the number of hours he has worked. He works at a place where the number of customers is very sporadic so there's a lot of time when there is no work to be done.

Since my friend is working there part time, he only takes a 30 minute lunch break. However, where there are no customers, the manager counts it as a coffee breaks for a total of 1 hour break including lunch.

Is this legal?
Advertisement
dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
If he is working an 8 hour shift he is entitled to 2 15 minute PAID breaks, and an unpaid (some companies will pay, most don't) lunch/dinner break. The company can state when they want him to take his breaks, but the 15 minute breaks are paid. If they are docking him 1hr a day, call labour relations.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Nope that ilgeal. Time off means your friend is log out not working. What if after 4mins a customer calls in? That's not fair now is it if he is doing his own thing and have to drop everything that he is doing to help the customer.

If he is working 8 hours that day he should get a 30min lunch and 2x 15min break. I work in a call center so I know. Downtime can't be control therefore can't be counted towards break or lunch time.

Next time have your buddy log out for lunch and breaks and when the manager ask let them know he is on break therefore he is not going to take any calls since break time should be 15mins break or 30mins lunch so the BS they are feeding your buddy.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
If he is working an 8 hour shift he is entitled to 2 15 minute PAID breaks, and an unpaid (some companies will pay, most don't) lunch/dinner break. The company can state when they want him to take his breaks, but the 15 minute breaks are paid. If they are docking him 1hr a day, call labour relations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Nope that ilgeal. Time off means your friend is log out not working. What if after 4mins a customer calls in? That's not fair now is it if he is doing his own thing and have to drop everything that he is doing to help the customer.

If he is working 8 hours that day he should get a 30min lunch and 2x 15min break. I work in a call center so I know. Downtime can't be control therefore can't be counted towards break or lunch time.

Next time have your buddy log out for lunch and breaks and when the manager ask let them know he is on break therefore he is not going to take any calls since break time should be 15mins break or 30mins lunch so the BS they are feeding your buddy.
Not true. Employers are not required by law to give coffee breaks, just a 30 min lunch break after 5 hours of work. Because most employers provide a coffee break, some people mistake them for being mandatory which is not the case.

Government of B.C., Ministry of Labour, Employment Standards Branch, A Guide to B.C. Employment Standards

From what I know (might be mistaken), the employer should specify whether the break is 30 mins or 1 hr from the start and not dock an extra 30 mins when there are no customers.
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetazeta View Post
Not true. Employers are not required by law to give coffee breaks, just a 30 min lunch break after 5 hours of work. Because most employers provide a coffee break, some people mistake them for being mandatory which is not the case.

Government of B.C., Ministry of Labour, Employment Standards Branch, A Guide to B.C. Employment Standards

From what I know (might be mistaken), the employer should specify whether the break is 30 mins or 1 hr from the start and not dock an extra 30 mins when there are no customers.
This is true, I remember because we took them away for a while when they were being abused. We used to let guys wrap up 15 minutes early instead of a last break but they started to wrap up 30 minutes early and there first 15 was becoming a 25 so we took those breaks away.

Do the math, 20 guys on a job stealing say 20 minutes a day (probably more then that) was over 30 hours a week to stolen time.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #6

Thanks guys. Like I said, he is working P/T and he doesn't want those breaks. There's also nothing that lets him clock in/out so the boss always lowballs him. Can my friend use the following quote from the BC Labour site to state that it's illegal?

Quote:
An employer cannot deduct any of the employer’s business costs from wages. This includes cash shortages, breakage, damage to company property or loss resulting from a customer leaving without paying.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual View Post
Thanks guys. Like I said, he is working P/T and he doesn't want those breaks. There's also nothing that lets him clock in/out so the boss always lowballs him. Can my friend use the following quote from the BC Labour site to state that it's illegal?
That one is most likely unrelated. He might be able to use this:

"An employee who is required to work or be available for work during a meal break must be paid for the meal break."

edit: source http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/esaguide/
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #8

Quote:
That one is most likely unrelated. He might be able to use this:

"An employee who is required to work or be available for work during a meal break must be paid for the meal break."

edit: source Government of B.C., Ministry of Labour, Employment Standards Branch, A Guide to B.C. Employment Standards
It's not a meal break though. I should clarify the quote I used in my last post. He works at a car wash so the number of customers depends on many factors including the weather and season. If the weather is bad and people don't come, would that be classified as business cost?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
It's not a meal break though. I should clarify the quote I used in my last post. He works at a car wash so the number of customers depends on many factors including the weather and season. If the weather is bad and people don't come, would that be classified as business cost?
Oh I see. Pardon my understanding, the situation is that if there are no customers, he retrospectively changes your friend's lunch break to 1 hour? Or does he do this at the beginning of the shift? If it is the former, then technically the extra 30 mins is counted as work since he has to be available in case customers arrive. But if he was told his break would be 1 hour at the start, then that is legal (i think... :P)
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Oh I see. Pardon my understanding, the situation is that if there are no customers, he retrospectively changes your friend's lunch break to 1 hour? Or does he do this at the beginning of the shift? If it is the former, then technically the extra 30 mins is counted as work since he has to be available in case customers arrive. But if he was told his break would be 1 hour at the start, then that is legal (i think... :P)
Well his lunch break is 30 mins and he always gets back in time. I don't think his boss told him to take a 1 hour break every day though. The boss only deducts another 30 mins if there's downtime (which there always is).
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ then accordign to you that's ilgeal since the boss needs to tell your frd at the beginning of the shift that your frd is taking an extra 30mins break unpaid. Also if there is custtomer that comes in during the break time your frd needs to be paid for the time he work or he can contiune taking his break and not work till his full 1hour break is over.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
The boss only deducts another 30 mins if there's downtime (which there always is).
The employer can't do that. Extending a break retrospectively based on downtime is an outright violation. Your friend was essentially working (but waiting for customers) at that time. Not his fault the business was quiet.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #13

Quote:
The employer can't do that. Extending a break retrospectively based on downtime is an outright violation. Your friend was essentially working (but waiting for customers) at that time. Not his fault the business was quiet.
Yes, I feel that the boss is treating him unfairly too. But does it violate any part of the Employment Standards Act? Can downtime be considered Business Cost? If so, does it apply to the quote I used earlier?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
This guy sounds like a complete douchebag, screwing his employees out of pay..
Call the Labour Relations Board and get them involved..

If the employer doesn't want to pay the employee for sitting around because there's no business.. maybe he shouldn't have any employees..
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
What is the company policy / contract with the employee? If there is nothing written - good luck defending the case at LRB.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote