REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Stolen phone... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/673061-stolen-phone.html)

pb.kidz 08-29-2012 05:59 PM

Stolen phone...

I week or so back I bought a brand new Samsung SIII on craigslist, met up in person bought it, all good.

Today 2 RCMP officers showed up at my house, but no one was home. Left a card which I called to find out that the phone was a stolen one,

What kind of trouble am I facing.

vafanculo 08-29-2012 07:10 PM

If u can prove you bought it off of CL, probably nothing.

TOS'd 08-29-2012 07:34 PM

Show the proof like email exchanges or text messages with the seller. If that all checks out, they will probably confiscate the phone and you will be out what ever you paid for the stolen phone.

zulutango 08-29-2012 08:12 PM

No matter what you believed or were told when you bought it, you don't get to keep it. Posession of stolen property. Would be good for you to do everything to help them catch the thief so he doesn't rip off anyone else He ripped you and the owner of the phone off and he deliberately lied and screwed you over, knowing he was doing it. Need any more incentive to help them?

zx7rrrr 08-29-2012 08:30 PM

say u sold it. Then sell it on ebay

pb.kidz 08-29-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8016268)
No matter what you believed or were told when you bought it, you don't get to keep it. Posession of stolen property. Would be good for you to do everything to help them catch the thief so he doesn't rip off anyone else He ripped you and the owner of the phone off and he deliberately lied and screwed you over, knowing he was doing it. Need any more incentive to help them?

So pissed out of $500...
Must have been a major crime for them to pursue the phone like they are.
Super choked at my self because I noted their license plate but deleted it a week ago.

CRS 08-29-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx7rrrr (Post 8016282)

What the hell is wrong with you?

You would risk a criminal offence over a phone?!

At the end of the day, its only money. A criminal record, however, will follow you forever.

k00laid 08-29-2012 10:10 PM

wow do cops actually spend their time on this?

bluejays 08-29-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Obviously if they traced the phone to his house in the first place then they can just search up the gps location on the phone again :fulloffuck:

socialenemy69 08-29-2012 11:09 PM

Had an incident a couple of months ago where a guy stole another guys phone. Victim calls his phone and talks to perp who stole it. Perp makes up story how he just bought it from a guy. Victim really wants phone back as it had pics of his new born daughter on it. Perp offers to sell it back to victim. Victim agrees to meet up with perp, and calls police ahead of time. They meet up at a store I was working at and as they exit perp sees police car and starts running back into the store, I see officer run in after him and just give up as he lost him right away. I chase after perp who runs out an emergency exit. Catch up to him, he threatens me, hits me in the head. I then tackle him and hand him over to the cops. He now faces PSP, Assault, and Uttering threats charges.

zulutango 08-30-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb.kidz (Post 8016311)
So pissed out of $500...
Must have been a major crime for them to pursue the phone like they are.
Super choked at my self because I noted their license plate but deleted it a week ago.

The fact that they are following up on a $500 theft...(is that what you paid or what it is actually worth ?) says to me that there is more to this story....like maybe this thief is a major player and you are just one of many victims...or maybe the thief stole lots of them worth lost of $$$$? Was the price too good to be true....a real bargain? If it was, now you know why. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

CA_FTW 08-30-2012 12:03 PM

This seems odd..I have bought Phones of Craigslist before..

When i meet the seller, i test my sim card, if it works i leave the SIM card in the phone.. at this point the phone might be on a different network. how are they tracking it with the Ability to locate the guys house.. seems odd..

Yes i realize that the Phone has the IMEI number etc.. but if your have switched to a different carrier seems to me it would be pretty hard to pursue.

I would think there is more to this story..

pb.kidz 08-30-2012 12:49 PM

Got off the phone with them today, apparently it was a phone store robbery, when I tested the phone with my sim the imei number was flagged to my account which took them straight to my billing address. I'm so choked at my self for deleting the license plate numver

fd3 08-30-2012 01:15 PM

^ makes sense now

pb.kidz 08-30-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8016564)
The fact that they are following up on a $500 theft...(is that what you paid or what it is actually worth ?) says to me that there is more to this story....like maybe this thief is a major player and you are just one of many victims...or maybe the thief stole lots of them worth lost of $$$$? Was the price too good to be true....a real bargain? If it was, now you know why. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

The phone retails for $700, I paid $520 cash so it's not a "to good to be true" deal

cruz-in 08-30-2012 02:00 PM

god dang!

zulutango 08-30-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb.kidz (Post 8016819)
The phone retails for $700, I paid $520 cash so it's not a "to good to be true" deal

Sorry to hear that. Most PSP cases I handled involved super deals that just screamed that the product just "fell of the back of a truck". I guess the $180 minus tax, plus not having to wait, did seem like a deal.

oldsnail 08-30-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA_FTW (Post 8016778)
This seems odd..I have bought Phones of Craigslist before..

When i meet the seller, i test my sim card, if it works i leave the SIM card in the phone.. at this point the phone might be on a different network. how are they tracking it with the Ability to locate the guys house.. seems odd..

Yes i realize that the Phone has the IMEI number etc.. but if your have switched to a different carrier seems to me it would be pretty hard to pursue.

I would think there is more to this story..

there are apps on phones that can trace the whereabouts of the owners phone.
the 'find my iphone' has helped me a few times find my phone.

T4RAWR 08-31-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

:seriously:

Possession of stolen property under $5,000 = hybrid meaning it can be tried as a summary or indictable conviction.

Punishment of PSP under $5,000 = [Summary: 6 months jail time / $5,000 fine] -OR- [Indictable: 2 years in jail]

Why the fuck would you suggest he commit a CRIMINAL offence over $520? :fulloffuck:

Quote:

Originally Posted by k00laid (Post 8016385)
wow do cops actually spend their time on this?

If someone jacked your shit wouldnt you want the police to be working to try and get it back?

Tim Budong 08-31-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb.kidz (Post 8016796)
Got off the phone with them today, apparently it was a phone store robbery, when I tested the phone with my sim the imei number was flagged to my account which took them straight to my billing address. I'm so choked at my self for deleting the license plate numver

this is the only instance in which police will track down the stolen goods

dkvby 09-02-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb.kidz (Post 8016172)

Today 2 RCMP officers showed up at my house, but no one was home. Left a card which I called to find out that the phone was a stolen one

How did u know 2 rcmp showed up if u werent home? left 1 card with both officers name? good luck anyway

k00laid 09-04-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8017340)
:seriously

If someone jacked your shit wouldnt you want the police to be working to try and get it back?

I would, but I would not expect them to and just write it off. To spend time to track down a stolen cellphone is retarded if there is more important matters to attend to. But after what the op said about cellphone store robbery it makes more sense.

HansonBoy 09-08-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8017340)

I want the police to crack down on split second lane changers and people who turn or lane change without signaling, but we cant all get what we want can we?

T4RAWR 09-08-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HansonBoy (Post 8024055)
I want the police to crack down on split second lane changers and people who turn or lane change without signaling, but we cant all get what we want can we?

become a cop :fullofwin:

racerman88 09-17-2012 06:40 PM

Not sure if this would have helped, but my buddy asked the seller of the phone to meet him at a store so that he could have the store check to see if it was legit. Seller met him there and once the store said the phone was all good my buddy handed him the cash.