REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 09-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Cabinets Places?

Need recommendations for both kitchen and bath cabinets. Really like the white shaker look but not firm on it I guess. Thinking of in the ikea price point. Maybe a little more. Still thinking of ikea, but looking for other options - maybe a little sturdier.
Advertisement
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
I don't get it

We're just in the middle of getting prices to reno our kitchen, also with shaker doors but we're going for the darker cherry look. Euro-rite in PoCo seems have good quality. A friend of mine that makes laminated countertops recommended them to me.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

There are alot of cabinet stores along marine drive.. between main and oak.. you should drive around and take a look.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
We buy all of our stuff from DIY Cabinet Warehouse. Good prices, nice products, etc.

DIY Cabinet Warehouse - Burnaby
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I've used Euro-rite a couple of times and we were quite happy with them.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I recently installed a few ikea shaker style pieces, the quality is actually pretty decent and I don't think any of it was made in China. I recall seeing pieces from Germany, Austria and the USA. Ikea cabinets are supposedly low VOC (volatile organic compounds) as well. Installation was also much easier than I had anticipated.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

i've had many contractors tell me there is nothing wrong with IKEA at all. They are actually quite high quality. Not all of their stuff is particle board junk.

But the prices for their cabinets reflect this fact. In some case they are much more expensive than some china place.
highres604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highres604 View Post
i've had many contractors tell me there is nothing wrong with IKEA at all. They are actually quite high quality. Not all of their stuff is particle board junk.

But the prices for their cabinets reflect this fact. In some case they are much more expensive than some china place.
I'm pretty certain that all of their cabinets are very well engineered... out of partical shit board. Some of their furniture is made out of real plywood or solid wood, but not kitchen cabinets.

But, I've heard that their cabinets are better than other crap brands like whatever Canadian Tire sells.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #9

Keep in mind, even tho that the IKEA cabinets are engineered perfectly fine, it's the material that matters. If you have particle board for your kitchen cabinet, once moisture gets in there, it's going to start swelling and twisting
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
I don't get it

My quote from Euro-rite comes out to $12k including installation and taxes. A lot of it is made with particle board. My neighbour will do the same thing for $21k and no particle board anywhere. Only solid wood and plywood is used. Which way to go? $9k difference is a lot of money.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #11

You may want to go half way on it to save some money. ie. do your lower cabinets and drawers in plywood since they are the ones that tend to get wet more often and more likely to get wet and just do your upper cabinet box and shelving in MDF or melamine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
You may want to go half way on it to save some money. ie. do your lower cabinets and drawers in plywood since they are the ones that tend to get wet more often and more likely to get wet and just do your upper cabinet box and shelving in MDF or melamine
Problem would then be trying to get the cabinet door style and colours matched. Lots of different ways of going about it but I think that it would be best to have one person do the complete job. Less headaches.

A big part of the decision is how long does one plan on staying in the same house. If only for another 4 or 5 years, I'd go with the cheaper set, but if it's for a longer time, go with the better alternative. But then, I've lived in this house for years and the melamine cabinets have stood up well except for the shelves that we overload, they tend to bend downwards. Ikea, here I come for an estimate.

Farfetched, have you found someone to make your cabinets?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #13

^
Well you can still get the same cabinet door style and colours, just that the box itself is constructed out of different materials. You won't really know the different until you open the doors
Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Check out Tangs Cabinets.

A custom cabinetry company established since 1980, serving Vancouver.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
Why would your lower cabinets get so wet that a cabinet would fall apart?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Why would your lower cabinets get so wet that a cabinet would fall apart?
The biggest problem with water would be if the shutoff taps for the sink or the drain leaks. Most times no one would notice until it was too late and the particle board has swollen up and fallen apart. I never look that carefully under there.

Since the cabinets in my kitchen have lasted for at least 25 years without problems, I'm going to have the new ones made out of the same kitchen grade particle board. The only difference is that I'm going to get a stainless steel tray made up to fit in the bottom of the sink cabinet and another one to fit under the dishwasher with a moisture alarm.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
I helped my brother install ikea cabinets in his brand new house. We used the supplied hardware + wood glue and so far its rock solid.

Prices were on par with the other cabinet places, we just had to do the labour ourselves (all we needed was a good drill/laser level/stud finder)
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

We recently completed a full reno of our kitchen, stripped it down to the frame and re routed the pipping.

The contractor and cabinet shop we used was with castle innovations, located in Richmond. Superb quality and attention to detail. Finished on time and no hidden cost.

Contact info -

Jessica Lo
Tel: 604 304 2833
Castle Cabinets Ltd
Castle Innovations Ltd
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
I don't get it

Anyone looking for a set of used kitchen cabinets with oak trim and doors? Just pulling it all out now to start on the reno.