REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning

Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning This forum is brought to you by Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam.
Supercharger vs Turbocharger vs NA? Hondata vs Megasquirt? 94oct vs 87oct? Through technical discussion, let's find out what will the best option for you...

Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

honda only

so im new to the forum but not to cars. but i gotta a question. i own 2005 civic dx with a d17a2 head swap. now im building for boost an if anyone her owns an em2 they know its impossible to get turbo kits for these car or boost parts. now my question is could i take a k20 turbo mani and use it for my d17 the flange looks the same. any imput would be awesome. thanks
Advertisement
em2_stance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
boosting a d17 is a massive waste of money, a K swap can be had for cheaper.

the D17 flange is unique to itself.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #3

id love to give my my baby some of that special k. but im having a hell of a time finding a wrecked rsx up here for the swap. an the wrecker wants way to much for all the parts. so i figured build my self a bad ass lil d17
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I agree with glove, wait/save for a k series. There are rsx's being parted out on craigslist from time to time.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

ive owned the car for four years now and am having a hell of time trying to find these things. but the car most defently needs more power.any ideas i got full exhaust, v2 aem intake, vtech headswap with pnp and arp studs. had nos but removed it. now im at a stand still do i keep building or keep searching
Old 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
the biggest problem with D17 is everything is unique and standalone on that car,

so you gotta buy the hondata d17 ems, which is like 1200 bucks, and has no resale value because no one bothers with d17's,

then you gotta create your own kit from scratch,

also the motor needs to be forged/built because D series rods are like toothpicks.

so after all that cost, and time, and effort,

you could boost a K, have way more power, with less money.

I mean do what you want, its your car in the end. But it doesnt make any financial sense,

possibly look into importing K series parts one piece at a time from down south on honda-tech. its not as expensive or hard to find as you think.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #7

very good call man, im kinda at the point ware im trying to keep my self going with the car or just off load it and start new with something rwd. thinking 240sx either s13 or s14
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

We made 260 at 10 lbs on a d17. It was running on a hondata kpro and 440 injectors and a stock pump. Wouldnt be hard to make more power with bigger injectors and a Walbro pump.

So it is doable, without a aftermarket standalone. Hardest part would the turbo manifold as others have stated.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #9

Well if i keep going with the build i was gonna buy a turbo mmanifold for a turbo d16 cut the flange off and have one made like my d17 one and have it welded on
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by em2_stance View Post
very good call man, im kinda at the point ware im trying to keep my self going with the car or just off load it and start new with something rwd. thinking 240sx either s13 or s14
I'd vote for ditching the EM2 and just picking up something else if performance is what you are after. Both the car and the engine were never meant to be performance-oriented in the first place, so it seems like a waste to keep sinking perfectly good money on it when you can spend it more wisely on something else.

(And this is coming from a fellow ES1 owner -- so believe me, I've tried looking for "stuff" for the car.)

On a different note, if you do end up switching to an S13/S14, be ready for a drop in reliability. The 04-05 EM2/ES1 are quite well built and trouble-free even though they are gutless and dead slow. The S13/S14, on the other hand, are much older cars, and I'd expect them to be less reliable than your Honda.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'd vote for ditching the EM2 and just picking up something else if performance is what you are after. Both the car and the engine were never meant to be performance-oriented in the first place, so it seems like a waste to keep sinking perfectly good money on it when you can spend it more wisely on something else.

(And this is coming from a fellow ES1 owner -- so believe me, I've tried looking for "stuff" for the car.)

On a different note, if you do end up switching to an S13/S14, be ready for a drop in reliability. The 04-05 EM2/ES1 are quite well built and trouble-free even though they are gutless and dead slow. The S13/S14, on the other hand, are much older cars, and I'd expect them to be less reliable than your Honda.
Ya my 05 is a super awesome daily driver! And good winter car might buy a s13 for high power fun car build it for a nice stance look
Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
10psi aint enough...

Pm sent bud.
Posted via RS Mobile
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #13

got another question for engine control how would a greddy ultimate work out for my d17? anyone have any opinon?