REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 09-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

paper route for the little one

hey guys,

quick question... the local newspaper here in poco is looking for someone to take over a paper route that's right in my neighbourhood.

I was thinking that this would be a good start for me to do this with my little one. Anyone here have an idea as to how much they pay?

Now, I know it's not going to be a lot and I'm not expecting it to be even the equivalent of a $10/hr job. But I just wanna get a gauge.

The route probably spans about 4 blocks. That's about it.

This is NOT the Province, or the Vancouver Sun where we have to go collect money. It's the TriCities newspaper.

Thanks!
Advertisement
zephyrantes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
I had a paper route as a child, looking back it was probably a good thing because I was chubby as a child and now I'm not, so it is a good form of exercise.

You get paid per house, and the actual deliveries weren't so bad, but some days you just don't want to do it because of the weather fluctuations. It may also be dangerous after school during winter because it gets darker faster.

The most annoying part of the job was the fact you had to assemble the newspapers beforehand. The Newspaper and the "weekly flyers" were separated and it is quite time consuming putting them together.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
when i did it for my neighbourhood when i was younger it was something like 10-15cents a newspaper and 10cents per flyer or something like that. each month i got about..60$ or so ? forget

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
i believe for each week i made about 15 ish bucks, which makes it about 60 bucks a month. they do it per paper delivered, they just count the amount of houses in your route...

i loved it when they gave samples and they give Extra samples!! once I got 2 extra boxes left over of craft easy mac!!! it was the best thing ever, felt like it lasted forever as well.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #5

hey guys,

thanks for the responses. I figured it would be by the house, but wasn't 100% sure (after all, it's not like you can get paid per hour or flat rate).

If anything, it'll be a good starting point.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
helped a friend a few times for his route. and from what i remember, you get paid extra if there's ads to be stuffed in.

i'd scout for dogs before i take on the route
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

I did this for years. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It sounds fine until you're out there delivering in the rain, or the cold, or the snow. It sucks.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I did it for poco as well. They are 1 0 cents per house. If there extra AD, it depends which company. Its extra 5 cents pet house.

Made around 8 0$ per month
Posted via RS Mobile
hc529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #9

thanks again guys for the input.

I think we'll try it till x'mas time, and see how it goes. I wanna do it with her all the time, but when it starts getting dark around 400pm in the rain.. and we have to do this when we come home. I guess it just seems appealing right now because of the weather.

TekDragon: that's a good point regarding the weather.

hc529: thanks for the local advice!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Did it when i was 10 for 2 years, good income for a kid if you ask me ($60 a month?) for about 100 homes. Got chased by a dog

Just ask them how many homes there are on the route. One time i got a bonus $10 because somebody called and said i was a hard worker for delivering in 1ft snow

My dad used to do it with me...somedays my grandma...definitely not worth their hard work now that you ask me. Try after winter... the previous person probably quit because school and winter is coming up. Dogs should be taken into consideration too.

Good experience i guess
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
I don't get it

My daughters have been delivering the local paper twice a week for a few years now. It's shit pay for the work you have to do. Stuffing the flyers into the paper and delivering them twice a week rain or shine isn't a whole lot of fun. The midweek paper usually has a lot of flyers and they get heavy really fast. You'll probably need a cart of some kind to carry them.

The newspaper won't back you up if a customer has a complaint, and you are not covered by Workers Comp. We had one house that had two dogs and they would try jumping through the screen door at my daughters so they started leaving the paper at the gate. The owners complained to the paper and they gave us notice that it had to be dropped by the front door. I asked what would happen if someone got bit and they told me that it would be up to my daughters to sue the dog owners. The paper was then thrown over the fence towards the front door, wet or dry.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

I had a paper route, well a few of them over the years. If anything it made me learn the value of hard work and having to do something even though you really DID NOT want to do it. Like when it was hailing out, 3 feet of snow or wanted to hang with friends. Paid OK, and I manged to buy a nice bike with it after saving for a year. IIRC it was around 12cents per house and extra on flyer days/sample days. Some days I made $30-$40 and it was about an hour and a half of work including stuffing the papers.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
My daughters have been delivering the local paper twice a week for a few years now. It's shit pay for the work you have to do. Stuffing the flyers into the paper and delivering them twice a week rain or shine isn't a whole lot of fun. The midweek paper usually has a lot of flyers and they get heavy really fast. You'll probably need a cart of some kind to carry them.

The newspaper won't back you up if a customer has a complaint, and you are not covered by Workers Comp. We had one house that had two dogs and they would try jumping through the screen door at my daughters so they started leaving the paper at the gate. The owners complained to the paper and they gave us notice that it had to be dropped by the front door. I asked what would happen if someone got bit and they told me that it would be up to my daughters to sue the dog owners. The paper was then thrown over the fence towards the front door, wet or dry.
I did a paper route too and there are dogs in the yard I usually just leave it on the gate. No way I am risking my life. If they complain let them lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote