REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Cleaning tub grout?

Alright, experts...

One of our bathrooms was previously painted with a lovely forest green... latex. Over the years the green has oozed down the walls like cheap mascara after a prom-night breakup.

On the tiles, this isn't a problem as it wipes right off. The grout, however... it's seeped in over the last 7 years or so, resulting in a lovely green-tinged grid separating the mostly-white tiles.

Now that we're repainting (with the right paint), the wife wants to use a white paint to go over the grout... I think this will look like $#!t. She was looking for a "grout paint" at Home Depot; the guy there recommended a grout saw to chew the top layer off the grout, after which the grout is just re-done. Unfortunately, while this is probably the BEST method, this would mean re-doing ALL the grout around the tub to avoid it looking half-assed...

Is there anything else I can try to get the green out of the grout? A grout "bleach" or something?
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

2 options that come to mind

1. Bleach (get a toothbrush) brush it over the grout and scrub it to see if you can get the paint off. Elbow grease heavily involved.

2. If the paint is not too seeped in, get a steam cleaner and see if the hot water and steam clean can clean it up.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Thanks, will give those a try!
Quote:
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

Soundy did my tips work for you?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #5

Haven't had a chance to try yet - been too busy on other, more pressing parts of the renos. Will be trying it when the time comes though!
Quote:
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
bleach usually works but very time consuming, no easy route tho..
Grout work is annoying
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Something I read awhile ago:

Quote:
Mould and mildew are definitely cleaning challenges. That yucky black stuff is a colony of moisture-loving mold spores. It grows on caulking (the squishy stuff that seals your tub to the wall), in grout lines (the hard material between tiles), on the shower curtain, or on tub and tile surfaces. And it can affect air quality.

You can tackle such mould and mildew on bathroom surfaces a few different ways:

Make a paste with baking soda and liquid castile soap (try the types infused with tea tree or lavender essential oils). Apply with a sponge or rag, let sit for 15 minutes for heavy duty jobs, then rinse and wipe clean.

A spray bottle of undiluted white vinegar will also do the trick, but be careful. Vinegar is a strong acid that can etch tile or grout. Use it only on the caulking and rinse it off thoroughly –- it’s always best to do a test patch.

Liquid oxygen bleach is another option. It’s basically diluted hydrogen peroxide, found in the laundry aisle of your grocery store. Apply it with a spray bottle or follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

The worst case scenario is if the mould has worked its way behind the caulking. In this case, you may have to re-caulk, and if you do, choose non-toxic, 100 per cent silicone.

Of course, mould and mildew prevention is the key. Get a handle on the humidity of your bathroom. Make sure the fan is rated to fit the size of your bathroom and that it’s working properly.
Hope this helps
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: