REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 09-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
dlu
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Aggressive dog training

It seems that my 3 year old shar-pei has been acting more and more aggressive as she ages. It was the sweetest dog before and it seems that a switch just turned on which made her super protective about her surroundings to the point where she will bite me. It seems that sometimes she will just snap even when I'm just petting her and it has gotten to the point where I get paranoid because she is getting to be unpredictable. When she is sleeping, as well, at times she will start to growl when I get too close.

I have no clue what brought this on as I have never treated her negatively or spoiled her and feel that I have lost dominance. I also don't know what to do at this point beside seek professional help.

I was wondering if anybody had these sort of problems before and if anyone had any experience with a professional trainer that deals with aggressive dogs. I have used google to locate local trainers, but I would love some referrals from people that have had successful sessions with previous trainers.
Advertisement
dlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

DCT Dog Obedience Training & Problem Solving | No dog is too much for me to handle. No problem that can't be resolved
flipkronikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Had some experiences with these dogs back in the day, some of them are super nice some are crazy. From the talks I've had with the owners (some), it seems the ones that were docile and sweet were always around people: dog parks or dog dates. The ones that were aggressive were usually not. As far as I know, these guys are bred to be guard dogs, and most guard dogs, if not properly socialized at a young age will develop a very aggressive and territorial personality.

Gluck!
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Canadian Association of Professional Dog Training
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Do you live in a big house?

I have a friend whose yorkie used to have free access to the entire house, and thus made the yorkie feel it was his duty to protect the entire house. Anyways, dog got crazy stressed out and became very aggressive. As an experiment (based off a suggestion from a professional trainer) they only allowed the dog access to the upper floor, now he's much more docile. Just something free to try before you go spend big bucks on dog training
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

It seems like your dog has considered herself to be the pack leader and view you as a pack member below her.You need to take charge and start taking control of the situation.

One of the first things you should do is make her work for her food/treats,make her sit before you give her a treat,tell her to stay and sit before you give her a meal,don't let her have it until you say it's okay.When you walk her,don't let her walk in front of you or let her pull you to whatever direction she wants to go.One more thing,if she growls at you,grab her by the back on her neck and put her on her back and keep her there for a bit and make eye contact during the whole time.

You need to show her that you're the dominant alpha male in the pack.I have 3 pitbulls and not one of them dare show any signs of aggressive dominance towards me.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
It seems like your dog has considered herself to be the pack leader and view you as a pack member below her.You need to take charge and start taking control of the situation.

One of the first things you should do is make her work for her food/treats,make her sit before you give her a treat,tell her to stay and sit before you give her a meal,don't let her have it until you say it's okay.When you walk her,don't let her walk in front of you or let her pull you to whatever direction she wants to go.One more thing,if she growls at you,grab her by the back on her neck and put her on her back and keep her there for a bit and make eye contact during the whole time.

You need to show her that you're the dominant alpha male in the pack.I have 3 pitbulls and not one of them dare show any signs of aggressive dominance towards me.
you sound pretty badass haha
Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

iirc, he visited Bosley's last year and gonna visit again sometime soon.

try to email him maybe..?
Mkhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #9

MFW OP is gone and won't check thread back ever again...
Old 09-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
dlu
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post

I live with my parents and brother as well. I think a main reason is that we may all treat her differently, but she has shown aggressive tendencies to all of us.

I never let her pull on the leash when going for walks and she is usually really good on walks except with other dogs, but it is only when we are at home she will act up. Another point I forgot to mention is that I don't think she was properly socialized when she was younger as she also does not like other dogs and it takes her a while before she warms up to strangers into our house. I usually only make her work when I give her treats, but I will start doing it for her regular food as well now. I can't actually grab her anymore when she is growling because it has gotten to the point where she will bite and it does hurt. I don't know whether I should just man up and let her get a couple of bites in, then throw her down or not though.

And as mentioned before, I have found local trainers in the GVA, but I was wondering if anyone on rs has had any personal experiences with any of them with promising results. There are so many to choose from that I want to find the best one so I won't have to hire a second trainer.

Last edited by dlu; 09-22-2012 at 02:11 AM.
dlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlu View Post
I live with my parents and brother as well. I think a main reason is that we may all treat her differently, but she has shown aggressive tendencies to all of us.

I never let her pull on the leash when going for walks and she is usually really good on walks except with other dogs, but it is only when we are at home she will act up. Another point I forgot to mention is that I don't think she was properly socialized when she was younger as she also does not like other dogs and it takes her a while before she warms up to strangers into our house. I usually only make her work when I give her treats, but I will start doing it for her regular food as well now. I can't actually grab her anymore when she is growling because it has gotten to the point where she will bite and it does hurt. I don't know whether I should just man up and let her get a couple of bites in, then throw her down or not though.

And as mentioned before, I have found local trainers in the GVA, but I was wondering if anyone on rs has had any personal experiences with any of them with promising results. There are so many to choose from that I want to find the best one so I won't have to hire a second trainer.
If you are afraid of your dog, you've already lost........I have rottweiler/mastiff with a bite force of around 500 pounds.....In the past, I've had him growl at me, snarl at me, do the same with others, and even bite me......I don't even think twice when it comes to putting him in his place.....Anyway, like I said: If you're scared of your dog, you have no hope......I say this in the nicest way possible: stop being a pussy.

Last edited by bballguy; 09-22-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlu View Post
I don't know whether I should just man up and let her get a couple of bites in, then throw her down or not though.
Why would you let her "get a couple of bites in"?

The second she bites or tries to bite, you should throw her on her back immediately.

Also I think when she growls at you don't back off or act scared, dogs can sense when you're scared. Just ignore her completely even if you're shitting your pants inside. You shouldn't be scared of your dog in the first place though.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote