REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Tonsil Rocks! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/673914-tonsil-rocks.html)

Qmx323 09-16-2012 01:31 PM

Tonsil Rocks!

No, not that they are awesome (which they are clearly not, for some)

I'm referring to "Tonsil Stones' AKA Tonsilloliths. They are stinky little buggers that get stuck deep in your tonsil flaps.

So I just dug out quite a few chunks of tonsil cheese, and as I'm sure there are a WHOLE LOT MORE deeper in the flaps of my tonsils.

Has anyone had to deal with these f*ckers? Also, has anyone had their tonsils removed as an adult (I'm 22)? Do I book tonsillectomies through a GP or what?

Thanks.

dinosaur 09-18-2012 04:33 PM

A lot people get them. The theory is they are bit or food and plaque from your teeth. Older people get them a lot more.

They don't hurt you and there is really nothing you can do. Apparently, even having your tonsils removed is not a guaranteed fix.

Some methods you can try to reduce them is gargling with salt water after meals, or gargling with mouthwash frequently.

If it becomes a major problems, you can talk to and ENT or dentist about the problem but it is highly unlikely that you will be able to get your tonsils out b/c of them.

murd0c 09-18-2012 09:02 PM

I've had once and a while and you are so right how annoying it is. I find if I wash my mouth out with salt water or putting salt directly on the spot it helps a lot and the go away wicker that way.

SkinnyPupp 09-18-2012 09:15 PM

:heckno:

ajax 09-18-2012 09:18 PM

Had these when I was younger. Ever since I started scraping my tongue I never had any issues with them.
Posted via RS Mobile

G-spec 09-18-2012 09:36 PM

I've been tonque scraping my tonque for many years now, I still get this.... it's a normal thing, i think everyone has it...

what I do personally is once a week or so since that's how long it takes for them to move back in, lol, I use the end of my toothbrush (gotta make sure it's freely smooth, any plastic edges from manufacture process will cut you easily since the back of your throat is very sensitive area) but yea end of my tooth brush, do both the right side and left side they usually have the same amount....
but then use the end of the toothbrush to push aside the flaps of the back of my mouth starting from the top, and push the flaps to the outside, towards my cheek, which exposes this white bacteria chunks as I call them and then gently push them out with the end of the toothbrush....

works like a charm every time and I get all of it out this way too.... definitely rinse the back of my mouth area for a good minute afterwards for a super fresh n clean feelin

highres604 09-19-2012 08:22 AM

how the hell do you get in there without gag reflex kicking in?

sonick 09-19-2012 08:39 AM

I hate these fucking stinky things. Sometimes I even get a sore throat because of them; but once removed or coughed out the pain immediately goes away.

It could be a diet thing, as I find for me it only happens (or rather happens regularly) when I drink certain types of juices; orange and pineapple especially. Also if I drink milk.

This is kinda gross, but I actually use one of those chinese earwax 'scoops' (of course not used for earwax), sanitized in some alcohol or peroxide first (since it is near the tonsils, easily gets infected), with a flashlight to carefully scoop it out.

InvisibleSoul 09-19-2012 08:47 AM

Cool, I never knew what these were before.

Two or three times in the past half year, I've coughed these up while brushing my teeth in the morning.

At least now I know what they are, and that they aren't a big problem.

originalhypa 09-19-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highres604 (Post 8033758)
how the hell do you get in there without gag reflex kicking in?

Because, cocksuck?

:badpokerface:

Srsly, the gag reflex is tough to get over. I get these every once in a while, and they are stinky little bastards. You can get those little plastic curved syringes from the drug store. I find that a little warm saline water will help flush them out without causing inflammation around the throat.

spideyv2 09-19-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8033454)

thanks for the informative post, skinny!

SkinnyPupp 09-19-2012 10:41 AM

murd0c 09-19-2012 12:25 PM

I thought it was from a piece of food getting stuck in your tonsals and then getting effected?

Ri2 09-19-2012 05:56 PM

this thread freaks me out, i've never had these from what i know of. now i'm paranoid :( i still have my tonsils!
should i be looking for them extensively????
i gargle with mouthwash everyday, salt water pretty often.
i brush my teeth/tongue twice a day til i gag lol.
would i know by now if i had them you think?

m3thods 09-20-2012 09:36 AM

There's really no fix.

I have huge tonsils with huge pits, so I get them once every couple of months (and they are HUGE).

Rinsing with salt water will help decrease the formation time, but it'll get there eventually (like plaque on teeth).

It's essentially calcifying crap in your mouth- minerals, food, bacteria (hence the smell). It's really not a huge deal (unless you're frenching some chick/dude and you happen to cough one up, but seriously what are the chances :fullofwin:).

And tonsillectomy for the sake of not getting tonsilloliths can be dangerous- it's still surgery, plus your tonsils are immune system organs that help fight infection. So there's that angle too.

skyxx 09-20-2012 11:04 PM

WTF.... :heckno:

smoothie. 09-21-2012 11:08 PM

I get a few every now and then.

theyre fuckin gross.

LookitsMarkA 09-22-2012 10:24 AM

open your mouth infront of the mirror, stick your tounge out and say AHHHHHHH loud enough and u see it shake lol

Qmx323 09-23-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 8033803)
I hate these fucking stinky things. Sometimes I even get a sore throat because of them; but once removed or coughed out the pain immediately goes away.

It could be a diet thing, as I find for me it only happens (or rather happens regularly) when I drink certain types of juices; orange and pineapple especially. Also if I drink milk.

This is kinda gross, but I actually use one of those chinese earwax 'scoops' (of course not used for earwax), sanitized in some alcohol or peroxide first (since it is near the tonsils, easily gets infected), with a flashlight to carefully scoop it out.

I LOL'd cuz thats exactly what I do.

Shorn 09-26-2012 10:57 PM

wtf. i have no idea what you guys are talking about.

am i the only one?

BRB going to washroom and staring into my mouth for a few hours

shenmecar 09-27-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorn (Post 8040500)
wtf. i have no idea what you guys are talking about.

am i the only one?

BRB going to washroom and staring into my mouth for a few hours

Me too, I didnt know things can grow in one's mouth from their tonsils. SHIT.

G-spec 09-27-2012 10:15 PM

it's not something that grows, it's just bacteria behind some flaps on the back of your mouth basically, pretty much everyone has it it just depends on the person how much one has, i guess diet and dental care are a big part of it as well

it's basically from the food you eat and whatever goes in your mouth, bits and pieces get stuck behind these flaps at the back of your mouth on both sides, both flaps the left side and right side, so it gets left behind and stuck there, then eventually forms into these bacteria clumps....

the method I mentioned that I use in my earlier post, literally takes me 2 seconds to get it out, it's highly effective, you guys should try it

skyxx 09-27-2012 10:32 PM

I don't know about you guys but i've never got these before. Maybe it's because I clean my tongue with a tongue cleaner since the day I started brushing my teeth.

G-spec 09-27-2012 10:37 PM

you may think you never get them because you never see them.... well you don't see them unless you pull the flaps on the back of your mouth open, that's the only time they will be visible.... once you pull the flaps back using my toothbrush method they fall right out end up on the tip of the tooth brush and you just rinse it off with sink water

and the odd time where they may fall out by themselves which rarely happens, they just sort of melt away over time if you don't pick them out

skyxx 09-27-2012 11:00 PM

Just did your test. I got none. I don't think EVERYONE has it.