REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
yea as soon as the cop gets behind me and they see the tires it's on like donkey kong...
I understand it however, because from the back lookin at my tires it does look worse than it really is...
the problem really is the way my rear bumper is designed from the factory, the edge doesn't flow straight down like a typical bumper but instead curves in towards the center, so what this does is it makes the rear tires even more visible than they should be....
BUT there are actually OEM mud guards that clip on on the rear bumper that would fix this issue as they would almost completely cover the visible part of the tire...
I just realized the mudguard thing today, kinda mad at myself I didn't think of it sooner....
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The the front spoiler looks lower than the base of the wheel, isn't that illegal? To my understanding the front needs to be at or above the wheel base at least to be considered legal.

Maybe it's just the angle of the picture which makes it look like it.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...l#section7.091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Vehicle Act Regulations
Clearance height

7.091 A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4 500 kg must have a minimum clearance for all parts of it, other than the wheels in contact with the level roadway, that is no lower than the lowest point on the rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

[en. B.C. Reg. 167/2006, s. (a).]

Last edited by Sango; 09-20-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #28

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
See, that's the thing. While you're obviously entitled to, you're pushing many boundaries to existing laws...and while you may not be breaking any of them, the police are going to make sure that they aren't being broken, because visibly it's very hard to tell.

If you wave around a plastic gun with a orange muzzle as legally required, nobody's going to say anything. If you wave around a plastic gun with a very dark orange muzzle, because technically it's still orange, you're going to get tasered.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #29
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Or shot!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #30
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Or shot!
hopefully shot
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #31
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Gotta pay to play.. and when you modify your car to attract attention like you have, it's going to attract police attention as well.

Illegal or not.. you'll eventually grow up and realize the hassle and internet e-thugging isn't worth the constant hassles or VI's. I gave up on appearance mods when I turned 30.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #32

Yup agreed. Seems like one is asking to be targeted because they made their car high profile such that is grabs attention.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #33
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
This always comes to mind in situations like this.

http://philipchircop.com/post/917891...son-creator-of
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #34
I bringith the lowerballerith

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations 25.30 says:
Quote:
Powers of peace officer
25.30 (1.)
If a peace officer has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a vehicle is, by reason of mechanical, structural or other defect, unsafe for use on a highway, whether or not the vehicle meets the standards prescribed under the Act, he or she may order the owner or operator of the vehicle, either immediately or within such time as is specified in the order, to do one or both of the following:
(a) remove it from the highway and keep it so removed until either (i) repairs as may be set out in the order of the peace officer have been
implemented, or (ii) the peace officer revokes the order;
(b) surrender the vehicle licence or number plates, or both, for that vehicle to the corporation or to the peace officer.
So, when I joined the traffic stop earlier this month and couldn't put my pinky finger between the tire and the fender (within where the wheel would reasonably rise due to suspension compression) and the tire was sticking out past that part of the fender, I find it quite reasonable that the vehicle may not be safe for use on the road despite your claims and the inspection report.

As I explained to you quite thoroughly at the time, having seen the Inspection report that says that the vehicle FAILED the initial inspection for ride height and clearance (or whatever the 2 suspension-related items were), I believe the report combined with my own observations more than someone roadside trying to avoid a ticket/Notice and Order.

Aside from the suggestions I made to you roadside, the only thing I can see MAYBE making someone believe that it rolled in and out of the inspection station and passed as-is, is filming the entire thing, and hoping that the officer who pulls you over is patient enough to watch the whole thing and believes that the inspection station did a proper job.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #35
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Once air care is taken out, I wonder if mandatory VI are put into place.
Seems like a cash grab to me.

Anyone have stats on how many accidents have been caused because of tires rubbing inside the fender?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #36

^ Sho_BC hey so that was you that issued me the first VI? the second white guy that came after the brown cop didn't know what to do ? good stuff, thanks for posting..... I made this thread while I was getting pulled over a second time by another Burnaby RCMP officer, it wasn't directly in regards to your traffic stop but it may as well have been....
I got a long reply for you specifically I hope you read it and I'd appreciate a reply if possible, thanks

I talked to you straight up like I would to anyone else and I understand your position, I never expected you to believe me in the first place, it's why I kept saying almost literally from the beginning let's cut the bs just give me the ticket so we can stop wasting each other's time, for whatever reason you guys seemed to want to continue talking about the issue, I'd really like to know why ? were you hesitant at least to issue the VI given my paperwork, or were you just trying to find more reasons to nail me for ?
And I liked your little bit about this being "Richmond" as if you were literally trying to coyly say, "It's Richmond brah, what you expect coming here with a modified car"
I wasn't trying to talk much I wanted my ticket asap not disrespectfully as I told you and you partner "No disrespect, but could I have my ticket" that was because I knew I wasn't going to convince either of you of the FACTS, and that's the only thing that bothers me, is that the FACTS were I passed a VI in the same exact state the car was, the rear tires DONT rub in that same spot you kept looking at (LIKE I SAID THEY USED TOO PRIOR TO ME PULLING THE FENDERS)
The second VI i got in Burnaby was the day after I had come back from Whistler going up and down the treacherous Sea to Sky, so I told the cop "My car is unwashed since I got back from Whistler, if it DID indeed rub anywhere, you would see nothing but gunk and shreds of tire all over my car and fenders since the Sea to Sky you're hitting corners at like 80+ suspension workin like crazy"

In any case you guys are doing your job fine, I got no problem with it
But my position was and still is, I passed the VI in that same exact state, my rear tire does NOT rub at that spot, I asked you to come for a ride to see for yourself you said no, you could have easily took a 5 min spin around the block with me and problem solved in minutes, but instead we spent 30-40 minutes of all our time I don't know just talking about the same things really, repeating ourselves (not saying that like I got better things to do, it's YOU guys that got better things to do)
I understand MOST cops don't understand and know how to deal with cars like mine, and I get the position you take, you have a instinct that says ok it doesn't look safe so I'll ticket it JUST to be safe, that's fine as long as there's no evidence to prove the contrary, but I mean I had paperwork, I had facts and details that you guys chose to ignore or maybe not understand I'm not sure.

Ok that post there was just dealing with facts, but I just want to say so you could understand from my perspective and why I came off like a little bit of a jacka$$, is that on a personal level my own personal frustrations is my position is as you saw in your computer database I have been pulled over NUMEROUS times, half of them just straight up running plates and profiling. I've received well over $2000 in fines and paid close to $1500 in violation fines since 2007 when I bought this car and started modifying it. Disputed some tickets I thought unfair and I paid the rest that were clear violations because I'm one who admits his mistakes and pays for them. Those were my issues I take responsibility for, tickets for things like improper license plate mounting, custom lights, etc...... I've paid in full and I have spent a lot of time and even more money than tickets to get my car to the point where everything is fully road worthy to the point if I do get pulled over, cops are unable to ticket me for anything...

Prior to me going to get my government/police issued VI, I actually went and got a normal inspection at a shop to see what possible deficiencies and failures the vehicle had that would possible make it illegal for road use, things like dash components not working properly, airbag lights, seat-belt issues.... a bunch of things that aren't even illegal really and would never warrant a VI, but I went overkill and I have paid quite a bit of money rightfully so to get fixed JUST so I can avoid issues with legality and only THEN i went in for my VI which I passed.
And now for me to still have problems after I thought I had put all this shit behind me, I'm deflated mentally, since you gave me my VI again I was at the point where I was literally thinking about selling my car and getting another sports car and leaving it stock, I mean that's how low I was to think about basically giving something away that I spent years and put my heart and soul into and that's a part of my life.

In any case yea I'm thinking clearly now and I'm ready to once again deal with this issue head on, something I thought I put behind me with that VI pass, I was naive to think that would be the end of it, but I have decided to spend even more money on something I PROMISED my fiancee I wasn't going to spend money on (you guys with girls should know how mission impossible that is to do)
Not gonna list the details of what I'm doing, but it involves at least another few grand into the car, and I knew it was gonna be pay to play from the beginning, but gotdamn after this I should have paid my dues two fold.... and if I still get static from the po after this, then fck it like I told the last cop who ran my plates and profiled me, take me to jail, charge me with somethin, I'm done retreating trying to conform to certain police officer's opinions, my goal is to be legal according to the books if I'm not already, and I will find that out when I go get my inspection done at an official government ICBC facility....

Sho_BC, I will take the Burnaby officer and your suggestion of video and picture proof of me at the inspection facility, in fact if even possible try to get this guy out TO the facility so he can see for himself, he left me his phone # at the back of the ticket for that exact purpose. I'm not gonna be naive to think this is gonna solve my issue 100%, but it really has to go a helluva long way to alleviate it wouldn't you or anyone else say ?
anyway thanks for reading

Last edited by G-spec; 09-22-2012 at 10:05 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #37
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Sounds like a case of a few cops with bigger egos than brains.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #38

guys I gotta say and let me be clear, the two officers who issued me these VI's legitimately DID think they had reasonable cause, and honestly I AGREE with them as would I.... they were upfront with me and didn't bs around which I appreciated no matter the outcome....
at least I wasn't disrespected, called a drug dealer, handcuffed on the side of the road like some of my other previous experiences with other cops

my ONLY problem with me still getting issued 2 more tickets, was the fact that I had already passed a VI with the car in the exact state as it's currently in and that was completely ignored, almost laughed at....
but anyway I'm actually glad this happened, because now I know exactly what to do, as my goal has been for a while now to get my car up to standards 100%
Old 09-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #39

Again, as I said at the time, I can understand your frustation, however you say/said yourself that the car is modified in such a way that it attracts a ton of negative attention and it LOOKS like there are many legal issues with it. Thats the path you've decided to take it. Not every police officer has the time, knowledge or tools to do a full inspection roadside, but if it looks like it can be or is a safety issue, the responsibility is on us to make sure that is isn't, by issuing the Notice and Order. For safety reasons alone, I can't imagine anyone wanting to do it roadside. Thats what the inspection stations are for.

I explained several ways to avoid being such a heat-score (for lack of better term) that would minimize further trouble with police having safety concerns while still maintaining the look you want/like. I declined having a ride around the block for many reasons, and a 5 minute ride around the block wouldn't have changed my mind anyway for reasons I explained.

You were as polite as anyone could have expected and hoped for in the circumstances, and I hope I came across the same to you. I'd rather have someone make a complaint against me for taking too long to ensure a proper explanation than someone complain that I issued paper with no explanation.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #40
I subscribe to Revscene

I'd like to see some of the police cars around here given VI orders for disabled DRL's.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #41

Its just a switch on the dash next to the various buttons for emergency sirens etc that allows police to turn then on/off as needed. Generally don't need to be off at all.......
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #42
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
Point of me creating this thread, I actually literally created it as I was waiting for the officer to come back to my car, the point was I was worried about having to go get and pay for two inspections, now that I know even the officer told me just bring both with me and I can knock them both off, I'm good with that, I got no issue getting 30 vi's in 30 days if I can get it all done at one inspection.... would be ridiculous to have to pay separately which is what I initially thought
I'm confused: why would the PO issue you a VI while you were issued one for the same thing less than 30 days ago? It serves no purpose that I can think of except for him being able to record that he issued one.

Redundant.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,490 Times in 570 Posts
I dont think anyone should have the power and authority to use their "judgment" when they are uneducated in the matter pending.
When it comes to shit like this why do we have insurance? If car in question passes an inspection that should be it, at least for a year. Now in the event it was modified to pass and returned to its previous pre pass condition and an accident occurred then your coverage is voided. Problem solved. People can quit gettin harassed repeatedly by uneducated cops just expressing uneducated opinion. ICBC has there ass covered from ignorant car owners with no regard for safety and the system in place and legit car owners not tryin to screw the system dont get harassed by said cops.
Secondly the CVSE can pull cars over can they not? If they are only commercial then broaden their reach so they can. Then regular RCMP without the training or education can focus on what they are trained to do hand out tickets to dangerous drivers.
Cus we all know the RCMP has a great track record with judgment here in BC.

11938 95a Ave Delta
I can be reached VIA text @ 778-232-1465

Oil change special $70 5 liters synthetic oil including OEM filter Fender rolling from $45 per fender
Car Audio:
Focal, Morel, Genesis, Clarion, Scosche, Escort, Compustar, GReddy, Blitz, Tomei, Motul, Endless, Defi, Cusco, Nismo + More

We specialize in:
Custom Car Audio
Race/4x4 Fabrication
Forced Induction
Engine Swaps
General Maintenance
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #44
I am Hook'd on RS

this is why i plan to get airbags. officer comes over just slowly raise the car

Old 09-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #45
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
It sounds like G-spec was being polite and very reasonable and he even had proof that his car passes a vehicle inspection and yet the cops wouldn't budge.

Sometimes cops need to realize that not everyone is a liar and to use their discretion and common sense more often.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #46
I am Hook'd on RS

^agreed. and safety should be the main concern.not petty sh%t. do they really believe that even if you had some tire rub, that would be a serious hazard?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #47

yea sho_bc was telling me he used to race cars and that he has a few friends that are into the stance scene... so then I explained to him, I said well you should understand coilovers, custom spring rates, suspension components... etc and how it all works
In any case it got me nowhere like I knew from the beginning, I knew I was gonna get hit up with something so I just wanted my ticket so I could leave.

I don't get one thing though Sho, when you said even a quick roadside inspection/test drive would not have changed your mind about you giving me the VI... your only problem was the rear tires rubbing, so a quick inspection drive would have shown you that it doesn't rub, yet even with that you STILL would have given me a VI, whyyyyy bro... lol, whyyyyyy
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #48
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Because he can is the simple answer.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #49

^ nah, you know what though for real I'm not even mad, I'm pretty sure if I was a cop and I pulled someone over inspecting their car for almost an hour, I'd probably tag him with something too, it's just one of those things that's commonly acceptable to the police in that type of situation although we don't agree with it.... especially if the guy has a massive history of getting pulled over by cops like me

I won't lie, my last run in with the police did not go great, directly as a result of all the police encounters I have been subject too just boiled over the top. I ended up handcuffed and pep talked on the sidewalk for 2 hours, I really wonder if that is written up on their record there about me as being aggressive and whatnot, so then the next cop that pulls me over is gonna already have it in for me

and because RS obviously always wants info... long story short, was dropping my gf off at work, saw a cop eyeball me follow me run my plates, and on instinct I pulled over parked my car by safeway, got out proceeded to walk accross the street as the officer jumped out of his car telling me to stop, I turned around looked at him and yelled out "Go fuck yourself" as you can imagine it didn't end well but could have been a lot worse, it was an older cop I'm absolutely sure if it was a younger cop I would have gotten worked.
In any case when he asked why I was acting that way, I told him I was sick and tired of it all and just take me to jail I didn't give a fuck at that point. It wasn't me being a badass, wasn't me being a thug, it was just me getting to the point where I just didn't give a fuck anymore and basically I was giving up...
BTW the cop was completely justified when it turns out my license had expired, but obviously the fact that he was profiling running plates didn't sit well with me, but I had no problem with him towing my car and handcuffing me, I deserved it.... though I may not agree with what that officer is doing, I have to respect the badge they wear

I don't know if you guys seen that movie Crash where Terrence Howard gets pulled over and just loses it cuz he's had enough, it was literally exactly the same type of thing, except I didn't have a Ryan Phillippe helping me out, lol, he had his partner a female manage to cool me off, was pretty cute too

Last edited by G-spec; 09-24-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #50

Maybe just have to stop being the odd person out in terms of the car mods.
Closed Thread