REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Cheque Fraud

Anyone have any experience with this?

I had one of my cheques stolen out of my mail, and cashed through ATM at a bank... Talked to the VPD, no help, and spoke with the bank, and they said tough luck...

What do I do now?
Advertisement

Last edited by Fuhrėr-Z; 09-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Fuhrėr-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Talk to the person that handed you the cheque? Maybe his bank can tell where the money was deposit it to and hopefully they freeze that theif acc and give you the money in return?
Posted via RS Mobile
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
How is someone cashing a cheque in your name your fault?
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

You need to go to the Issuer and have them re-issue you the cheque, the only thing that will happen is the issuer will cancel the original and the guy who cashed it will end up with a negative balance, it's actually really hard to prove, and even if you can, most cops dont/wont want to deal with it, neither do the banks.
xerograv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
1) go to the issuer
2) have the issuer print a copy of the cancelled checked
3) examine the numbers and figure out which bank / branch / account
4) file police report
5) take police report copy to said branch and explain to the manager that one of his clients are defrauding the bank
6) request funds be credited back to the issuer
7) request a new check from the issuer

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

they shouldn't be able to cash it unless they have the same name as you...the clearing company who deals with the atm will return the cheque if the payee isnt the account holder...unless you endorsed the back and the bank accepts third party cheques...

best way to deal with it is talk with the issuer...he can cheque imagine the cleared cheque and see whos account it went into and which bank cleared it by looking at the back of the cleared cheque. The issuers bank should be able to assist you on that..but the issuer usually has to be the one intitating this because it is his information. the bank will investigate and credit back the customer. Then just get him to re-issue you another cheque. not sure on the cost or how long the process is...but from experience the cheque should come back on its own within few days because it is not going to the payees account it will be easy to tell it's fraud...
aznl3oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

How long has it been since it has been cashed?
blue_reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #8

The bank only has a certain amount of time that they can try and reverse the funds.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #9

Oh and not to mention no financial institution wants to deal with this petty stuff or willingly take on a loss, the RCMP report is key