REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #576
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex123 View Post
I haven't been to Whistler in a long while. So I'm just wondering, for you money conscious boarder/skiers is it really worth going up for a day trip or one night stay? Last time I went they still had night riding. Now they're only opened 8:30-3:30. That's pretty weak.. 1 day of Whistler equals to 2 FULL Cypress days where I can take my time and stay there 9AM-10PM if I really wanted to. The drive is also much longer compared to Cypress (almost 3x the distance for me). Is the Whistler experience that much better?

I'm also thinking about Mount Baker instead of Whistler. Anyone stay the night there before? How is the drive?
Do you want a mini vacation? If so its nice getting out of the city and getting to light it up after a day of riding in whistler. Lots of things to consider. If whistler hasn't got snow recently, and it isn't going to be sunny spring like conditions, fuck that, but if the weather is awesome, it will be great. Weekends are packed, but if everything is open and there is new snow I'd say its worth it. Also, I don't know about you, but I'm a guy who has ridden 35+ days a year since I was 11, 16 years ago, and there is no way even when I was in the best shape I could handle riding 13 hours, even stamina aside, unless it was the most epic of days it would be boring.
Now baker....Baker is unreal. It rarely is busy, its cheaper than whistler (by half) has amazing snow and couldn't be a better day to spend a day, if the weather cooperates. As far as a mini vacation though, if you can't get a cabin, staying in bellingham isn't exactly relaxing, its just boring. But cheap beer is nice. Basically what it all comes down to, follow the weather, check snow forecasts, then decide what sort of trip you want to take and the money you want to spend based on that.
Advertisement
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #577
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Yeah I would never be able to do 13 hours either but I'm just putting it out there. I'm still researching Mount Baker and although the hours of operation are about the same as Whistler it seems very promising and much cheaper! I think there is a place called Glacier 20 minutes down the mountain where there are a lot of lodges/cabins. We're a group of 6 so entertainment in the area isn't that much of a problem.
This place looks decent Baker Accommodations | Home
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #578

Sick dude! You will have so much fun with a cabin and a posse.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #579
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I agree. While the local mountains are easy to pull 8+ hour days, anything that involves a run that has massive vertical decent will just destroy stamina.

It's SO tough to be able to pull a 6 hour day at a resort style mountain. The runs, the waiting on the lift lines, the lift up and waiting on people make for you body to relax too often, lactic acid build up and all sorts of things to cause fatigue.

My opinion on a getaway of sorts, does involve a weekend, but it's a worthwhile one at that. And that's anything within the interior. Sunpeaks and Bigwhite are at the top of my list.

You can find lift and accommodation packages that rival the most economical options of whistler, and the mountains there offer so much of a diversity that you won't get bored. Add to the fact that the temp is usually MUCH MUCH colder than the coastal mountains means great snow to be had regardless if the sun is shining or not.

The only downside i can see is the 4+ hour drive to and from the resorts.

Vangruver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #580
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
I went to take a look at some snowboard shorts today since the last time I went I fell on my ass and hurt my tail bone pretty bad lol. I looked at the Protec and Red protective shorts and noticed the padding on the shorts seem pretty hard.

How much would they really help if I were to fall on my ass again if I had these shorts?
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #581
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
I went to take a look at some snowboard shorts today since the last time I went I fell on my ass and hurt my tail bone pretty bad lol. I looked at the Protec and Red protective shorts and noticed the padding on the shorts seem pretty hard.

How much would they really help if I were to fall on my ass again if I had these shorts?
Man the fuck up! Lol shit happens man, not worth spending the $$. Fell hard on my tailbone last Saturday (not yesterday) and was out for a good 10min on the snow cus I cudnt move. Almost got patrol to take me off lol but I was ok to go after , and went boarding yesterday ad pulled my groin when I fell on my tailbone again ;/ been sore as fuck. You don't need that stuff IMO, you'll learn not to fall when it hurts too much haha
Posted via RS Mobile
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #582

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
Man the fuck up! Lol shit happens man, not worth spending the $$. Fell hard on my tailbone last Saturday (not yesterday) and was out for a good 10min on the snow cus I cudnt move. Almost got patrol to take me off lol but I was ok to go after , and went boarding yesterday ad pulled my groin when I fell on my tailbone again ;/ been sore as fuck. You don't need that stuff IMO, you'll learn not to fall when it hurts too much haha
Posted via RS Mobile
you're kidding right?

I have a pair of padded shorts, and they protect the tail bone, your hip bones and other vital areas that you might hit when you fall.

I wear them 9 out 10 times, and especially on hard packed days on the hill. And especially when i'm jumping.

yes they are pricey for what they are, but it's just like anything else in winter sports.

they do benefit you when the chair lift is wet, as they don't absorb water so you won't feel the dampness on your butt.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #583
Throw yo paws in da air!

Yes I was kidding lol if he has the $ sure why not, I just know he can prob do fine without it. I was just going off from my experience but I know others have had worse I forgot to insert smiley faces in my last post. I sound too serious ;(
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #584

I wish I was good enough that I didn't need them lol, but that's not the case. Also I have a couple of injuries that are stuck with me for my entire life. I don't wanna add anymore to that list, so I would rather fork out the money for some protection.

Last edited by ziggyx; 01-28-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #585
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangruver View Post
you're kidding right?

I have a pair of padded shorts, and they protect the tail bone, your hip bones and other vital areas that you might hit when you fall.

I wear them 9 out 10 times, and especially on hard packed days on the hill. And especially when i'm jumping.

yes they are pricey for what they are, but it's just like anything else in winter sports.

they do benefit you when the chair lift is wet, as they don't absorb water so you won't feel the dampness on your butt.
which impact shorts do you use, Vangruver? care to name drop some good ones worth looking at? REDs, maybe some Dainese... Skeletoolz?

Fairly easy to get REDs from Showcase, but not really sure how good they are. Dainese must be fairly good (I would assume) since they probably have tech from their motorcycle division, though finding a local dealer maybe harder. Skeletoolz has been name dropped on different forums, so they've probably got some form of reputation...
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #586
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
I wish I was good enough that I didn't need them lol, but that's not the case. Also I have a couple of injuries that are stuck with me for my entire life. I don't wanna add anymore to that list, so I would rather fork out the money for some protection.
Vangruver is probably better then any snowboarder in this thread and he wears them.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #587
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

There's some on sale on Canadian cartel right now.
http://www.canadiancartel.com/?ref_id=15781
Posted via RS Mobile
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post
which impact shorts do you use, Vangruver? care to name drop some good ones worth looking at? REDs, maybe some Dainese... Skeletoolz?

Fairly easy to get REDs from Showcase, but not really sure how good they are. Dainese must be fairly good (I would assume) since they probably have tech from their motorcycle division, though finding a local dealer maybe harder. Skeletoolz has been name dropped on different forums, so they've probably got some form of reputation...
I currently have a pair of RED impact shorts, and did use Crash pads before this pair.

Crash Pads protective

I like the red over the crashpads due to the foam that they use, its like a memory foam type. VERY dense and disperses the impact over a larger surface than traditional closed cell foam.

I can't speak on Dainese or other brands considering i haven't used anything other than RED or Crashpads, but Dainese is MASSIVE in full body protection. And not just for motorcycles. DH biking is one of their fortes as well.

They do take a little bit to get used to.....make your pants tighter in areas that you never thought they'd be tight :/ But in the end they do benefit even in the slightest slip up.

If you want something that can protect your tail bone, what I could suggest is that you go and buy a thin dense piece of foam and have it sewn into your snowboard pants, within the liner. Similar in nature to how bicycle shorts have padding on the crotch area. If you sew in a "pocket" you can put in and take out the foam padding depending on how you feel. Make it 10cm wide by 15-20cm long and it might actually be the cheapest protection for your butt possible.

otherwise, there's a whole SLEW of them featured here.

Extreme Sports Equipment and Accessories | AllSportProtection.com

One thing i will forewarn is never wear wrist guards when snowboarding. Wear wrist wraps instead.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #589

^ I ordered the demon d3o shorts from there. I was considering the RED total impact shorts.

and what's wrong with wrist guards?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #590

Typical wrist guards will just snap your arm instead. There is a good reason that your wrists bend the way they do. There are snowboard specific wrist guards though I believe that allow flex. Still though, learning to keep my arms in when I fall has absolutely saved me. I used to dislocate my shoulder weekly when I was younger during snowboard season. Since I've learned to fall properly, it hasn't happened once snowboarding over the past 3 years. Too bad I fucking did it during hockey anyways 2 weeks ago.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #591
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Only padding I rock is a helmet to protect my brain bucket. Even when I was downhilling mountain biking I just wore helmet and shin pads, never believed or wanted to wear the full body armour. All it's really going to protect you from is road rash, and chicks dig that shit.

Skiing? Hell you don't need them padded shorts, I snowboarded for about 8 seasons and if you're really riding it's not going to do much imo. Plus, your LCF without pads is far superior.

Getting bumps and bruises is all part of the sport, I did a 360 the other weekend and when I landed my face went into my pole and bent it pretty good and I couldn't see too well out of my left eye. Had a wicked headache and ended up drinking it off that night. Pain is all in your head man.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #592
Throw yo paws in da air!

^ no bro.

according to the salesman vangruver is the best boarder in this thread and since he wears em its only right that this guy buys pads cus riding without em is silly and since it protects vangruver then its gonna protect him. gosh get it right!

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #593
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
^ no bro.

according to the salesman vangruver is the best boarder in this thread and since he wears em its only right that this guy buys pads cus riding without em is silly and since it protects vangruver then its gonna protect him. gosh get it right!
That's not what I meant but ok. The guy posting says he's a noob and he's going to get some pads. I was just pointing out that it doesn't matter if you're good or bad, you can still wear them. I don't wear them either but if you're falling on your ass enough then it doesn't hurt to get them.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #594
Throw yo paws in da air!

i know im jus messing, hence the ending lol as much as i would love a pair myself, my pants are already tight enough, with pads it would only make it more uncomfortable lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #595

Back when I lived in whistler I'd wear a down jacket when I was riding black park just for the extra cushion on those fucking jumps, even if it was +5 and sunny. Haha I'd be so sweaty after a day of lapping that park it would feel like I got out of a hot tub. I think if I was going to wear any pads my first choice would be knee pads. The thought of a rail off the kneecap is vomit worthy.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #596
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
oh god, rail off the kneecap....been there before and it sucks so much.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Only padding I rock is a helmet to protect my brain bucket. Even when I was downhilling mountain biking I just wore helmet and shin pads, never believed or wanted to wear the full body armour. All it's really going to protect you from is road rash, and chicks dig that shit.

Skiing? Hell you don't need them padded shorts, I snowboarded for about 8 seasons and if you're really riding it's not going to do much imo. Plus, your LCF without pads is far superior.

Getting bumps and bruises is all part of the sport, I did a 360 the other weekend and when I landed my face went into my pole and bent it pretty good and I couldn't see too well out of my left eye. Had a wicked headache and ended up drinking it off that night. Pain is all in your head man.

Everyone is different, and everyone has a different opinion on what's good and what's proper.

If you must know why i opt to wear padded shorts, it's because of skateboarding, and the last 27 years of skateboarding.

Falling and having you land on your tailbone ON a handrail isn't the best feeling in the world, doing that multiple times results in a fractured tailbone. A bone within your body that is utterly USELESS.

I can't say that I'm the BEST snowboarder on this board, but i am pretty sure that i'm am immesnily competent rider. So for TheSalesman to put forward a compliment like that is much appreciated.

To add.

Bumps and bruises are a part of any sport, I agree, but let me put it to you this way.

A lot of people don't ski or snowboard full time, and i bet a fair bit of those same individuals do require to be 100% attentive in their day to day lives.

Not everyone has a desk job and can stay immobile the majority of the day. and I'm sure some people even interact with the public.

I'm going to call you out, because if you want those bumps and bruises and facial scars for the rest of your life, so be it. Not one person here is going to stop you.

but if you're like me, and want to be able to teach your kids how to ski or snowboard, then take the safe way out protect yourself if you don't feel comfortable.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #598

Bumps and bruises are one thing but injury is another thing. Although the likely hood of getting injured isnt super high or anything, I would just rather be on the safe side.

Also if I can walk away with less pain from bailing it'll be better for me since I'm still learning. Less bumps and bruises = less healing time, therefore I can get out there more.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #599
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
I wish I was good enough that I didn't need them lol, but that's not the case.

FYI, there's no such thing as being good enough to not need protective gear.

The better you are, the faster/quicker your riding speed is going to be. That means that when you tumble/catch an edge/collide with someone (and I promise you that you will no matter how good you are), you're consequences are a lot more magnified.

Not to mention in general, that when your skill increases anyways, you tend to do more crazier, challenging things like small bump jumps, to park stuff.

If you can spare the coin.... do it. And crash pads isn't even like the helmet issue where most people don't wear it for style purposes. considering how baggy snowboarding clothes are... there's no way anyone can tell you're wearing one.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #600

^ That's true. When I said that sentence I probably meant I wish I was good period. lol
but I just got my shorts and knee pads and I'll definitely be putting them to use.