REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #176
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You guys can get stuff locally for pretty much the same price. I'd rather spend my money at local shops than spend it in the states to save 15 bucks on a 300 dollar jacket, that you don't even get to look at in person. That said the last years gear that you can find online you probably won't find here, but if you can get it here, support your local shops.

I second this. While "some" deals are too good to pass up, there a lot of hidden treasures in many shops in the lowermainland. Even Craigslist has a lot of pros selling barely used gear at a stupid low price.

Hint.

If you do manage to find a pro or a sponsored rider selling their gear, chances are you will get yourself a one off item, sometimes a deck that is a prototype or a custom item. Happens all the time

I'd offer and provide links but there is a certain mod on this site that has a hard on for deleting my posts. That mod think I'm trying to make a profit from things that aren't even things I'm selling.

Some of you guys have gotten messages from me about deals, and I'm sure it will happen again.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Vangruver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #177

and

forecast doens't look promising. so get yo kix while you can folks

i'm taking a couple weeks off till more snow falls

Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #178
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Where is that? cypress?
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #179
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
yup, 100% cypress by the looks of it
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #180

yeah the green olympic sign looks like it's cypress.

Speaking of which... has anyone here actually gone to cypress or grouse yet this season?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
yeah the green olympic sign looks like it's cypress.

Speaking of which... has anyone here actually gone to cypress or grouse yet this season?
judging by the pictures i posted up, and the fact that they are my pictures. I am safe to say that I went to cypress today.

This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #182

ahh I thought I read somewhere that you weren't gonna be heading up there for awhile before you posted those pictures so I was confused, but I guess I read wrong.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #183

Quote:
ahh I thought I read somewhere that you weren't gonna be heading up there for awhile before you posted those pictures so I was confused, but I guess I read wrong.
heh, all good bro.

i wanted to go up for opening day. it's pretty much a tradition i've had for the last 10+ years or so.

now that it's done i'm happy.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #184
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,037 Times in 94 Posts
well well well looks like whistler is opening up on the 17th.

SOOO STOKED!
Amped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #185

Going to wait for blackcomb to open first. I spend most of my time on there rather than whistler anyways.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangruver View Post
heh, all good bro.

i wanted to go up for opening day. it's pretty much a tradition i've had for the last 10+ years or so.

now that it's done i'm happy.
whoa, you've been at it a long time, haha that's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Going to wait for blackcomb to open first. I spend most of my time on there rather than whistler anyways.
is there a reason why you prefer blackcomb over whistler?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #187

Quote:
I first learned how to board up on 7th heaven maybe its just instinct, I just enjoy the runs more there. I admit though I probably haven't given whistler a fair change. Usually I would end the day with a run or so down whistler. Either way, I'm excited.

To upgrade jacket or not....my current one is fine, I just want something brighter, lol..
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #188

Lol yeah me too.. I want brighter pants and/or a brighter jacket just so I don't always have to wear the same thing. But I'm happy with what I have right now.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #189
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
didn't want to make a new thread about my question.

for those of you who ski and play ice hockey as well, how easy is it to pick up skiing with the hockey background? i'm imagining it as being fairly similar, as you turn on your edges and stop somewhat the same way?

TIA
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #190
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:

Blackcomb is a much better place to be on a busy day. Most people don't know the mountain as well as whistler and it makes it a lot easier to find stuff that hasn't been hit yet.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #191
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Hey all, I will be teaching someone snowboarding this year. IIRC, wasn't there a small run for kids/beginners in Whistler where the lift to the top was really more of a conveyer belt? and the slope is highly gentle.

Anyone know if this still exists? or the name the run/place so I can find it? It would really really be a big help for that someone.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #192

I briefly looked at the trail map for whistler blackcomb but I didn't see any conveyor belt. You can always try the local mountains, seymour has a conveyor belt and cypress has a dedicated bunny slope chair lift that is supposed to be easy for beginners to learn how to use the chairs.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #193
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Hey all, I will be teaching someone snowboarding this year. IIRC, wasn't there a small run for kids/beginners in Whistler where the lift to the top was really more of a conveyer belt? and the slope is highly gentle.

Anyone know if this still exists? or the name the run/place so I can find it? It would really really be a big help for that someone.
They're actually called carpets or magic carpets. There's one at the first gondola station on Whistler and then a couple on Blackcomb. Not sure where those are though.
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #194
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmotion View Post
They're actually called carpets or magic carpets. There's one at the first gondola station on Whistler and then a couple on Blackcomb. Not sure where those are though.
I think this is the one I came across to by chance years ago; but I wouldn't know how to get back to it now. I'll admit since Cypress is my home mtn and I only go to Whistler on special occassions, I don't really know my way around there because the place is huge in comparison to the local mtns.

I didn't know there was 2 magic carpets on the Blackcomb side though. Thanks for the tip.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #195

Quote:
whoa, you've been at it a long time, haha that's awesome.

Been snowboarding now since 1990.

yes, i'm old.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #196
LYC
I don't get it

We finally got our first snowfall up here in Niseko! So excited. Going for a hike up the hill tomorrow for my first turns of the season!
LYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #197
RS Lurker, I don't post!

At cypress right now. Its not that bad. U need to be covered head to toe but its snowing and im liking the new snow. Too bad i cant see bumps in the ground. Tripping me.
Posted via RS Mobile
leetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #198
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
I was at Cypress today as well from 10-2. Pretty decent for opening week. Felt like a lot of people because there was only one run open. Was foggy/hailing most of the time I was there and I forgot to bring something to cover my face

Also a tip for those with gold medal cards: if you purchased it online, you don't need to wait in the super long guest relations line. There is a door on the right and you can just let them know you are picking up your card. I stood in the line for 20 minutes before I found out.
Posted via RS Mobile
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #199
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I wouldn't mind getting some new gear, my jacket and pants are waaaay too baggy and since I'm not a park rat I look dumb wearing what I wear haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
didn't want to make a new thread about my question.

for those of you who ski and play ice hockey as well, how easy is it to pick up skiing with the hockey background? i'm imagining it as being fairly similar, as you turn on your edges and stop somewhat the same way?

TIA
I'm a terrible skater and I picked up skiing after a couple private lessons. Was doing blacks and double blacks on my 4-5th day out.

As for my friends who play hockey and ski they say that yes the "pushing" part is very similar. But, honestly the only time you over "skate" is when you're on flat.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #200
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

So... I was looking at the mountains current conditions and each mountain is claiming to have at mid mountain:

Seymour:18cm
Grouse:55cm
Cypress:115cm
Whistler:65cm

Did Cypress truck in snow and put snow blowers going on max every opportunity they had or am I reading this wrong? I call shenanigans.
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote