REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   A question to all the Officers in the Room (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674458-question-all-officers-room.html)

seekerbeta 09-27-2012 01:02 PM

A question to all the Officers in the Room

i would like to know, when they are out on patrol and they stop on the side of the road to perform radar, do they just choose the location and go? or do they get a higher up to assign them to that duty and location?

thanks in advanced

Sky_High 09-27-2012 02:03 PM

I suppose if the answer is the latter, your next question will then ask where are all these pre-determined locations?

:pokerface:

Soundy 09-27-2012 03:15 PM

fishing hole - Search results - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

zulutango 09-27-2012 08:02 PM

Sometimes the locations are selected due to public request...like school/playground zones, other times due to lots of speeding going on there, high crash areas due to speed, multiple person operations...or just because......Unlike our salmon stocks, there are always lots of fish out there to hook,....just depends on the size you are looking for.

sebberry 09-28-2012 05:07 PM

I was listening on the scanner to members of our local traffic constabulary discussing where to set up their trap. One officer suggested an area where right turns are prohibited (https://maps.google.ca/?ll=48.454922...19.82,,0,-1.11) for no reason that I can think of.

Amazingly, the other officer replied "I don't like that, it's too much of a fishing hole".

Soundy 09-28-2012 08:19 PM

Here's a thought: if it's a "fishing hole", that's probably because people make illegal right turns there A LOT, and the cops know it would be easy to reel them in.

As for a reason: how about residents in the area calling in complaints about all the illegal turns there? Surely this is a reason you could have thought of, if you wanted to?

sebberry 09-28-2012 09:06 PM

Hmm.. not a residential area and I'm sure the major new shopping center that was just built there is complaining about cars trying to access the business.

It's a stupid place for a "No right turn". It's a 50kph zone and left turns from the other direction ARE permitted.

Anyway, this isn't about that restriction, but rather how the police do like fishing holes where it's really easy to write tickets for an infraction that has no apparent safety implications.

The officer who said "no, it's too much of a fishing hole" clearly would rather be catching those putting the safety of others at risk, not violating a rule that shouldn't be in place.

Soundy 09-28-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8042106)
Hmm.. not a residential area and I'm sure the major new shopping center that was just built there is complaining about cars trying to access the business.

How about other drivers/commuters whose travel is impacted by selfish assholes who choose to believe the law doesn't apply to them?

Like the ones I see every day who think the "bus only" lane on Lougheed Hwy. at Dewdney Trunk Rd. is there for their personal escape route to jump the traffic stopped at the light? Or the six to ten cars that regularly flow right on through the no-right-on-red at that same intersection, just because they glance left, see the other traffic has only just started moving, and figure the law doesn't apply to them because they figure they can do it "safely"?

Quote:

Anyway, this isn't about that restriction, but rather how the police do like fishing holes where it's really easy to write tickets
All of them except the ones you talked about above, apparently. Your own stated experience demonstrates they don't always go for the "fishing holes".

Quote:

for an infraction that has no apparent safety implications.
Ah, there's your key word: APPARENT. It may not be apparent to you... but then, you seem to have rather selective vision when it comes to these sorts of things. You want to find something wrong with it, so you're blinded to aspects that others may see. Have you sat and studied this intersection for hours, days, weeks at a time? Compiled traffic statistics from it? Or let me guess: you have a problem with it because you're inconvenienced by the no-right-turn on your own commute, and in your 15-20 seconds in the area each day, because YOU don't see any "apparent" issues, there must not actually be any issues?

jlenko 09-28-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8042106)
It's a stupid place for a "No right turn". It's a 50kph zone and left turns from the other direction ARE permitted.

That is a stupid place for a no right turn. Victoria should have built some kind of right turn bay if they were worried about people blocking the flow of traffic...

...except they don't do that in BC.

sebberry 09-28-2012 09:53 PM

I suspect it is to prevent cars from clogging up Carey Rd trying to bypass the parking lot HWY1 turns into during rush hour.

However, further supporting the "fishing hole" theory, you rarely see the police there at rush hour to catch drivers trying to skirt the traffic - they're always there when traffic is light and people want to use that road to actually get somewhere.

wing_woo 09-29-2012 03:34 PM

I go home on 49th past Rupert everyday. I really hate it when the dicks who go in the right turn only lane and cut back after the intersection. I really wish cops would go there and give those people tickets. You see these people purposely going there to cut in instead of waiting like everyone else. This is right by Killarney high school.

Soundy 09-29-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 8042548)
I go home on 49th past Rupert everyday. I really hate it when the dicks who go in the right turn only lane and cut back after the intersection. I really wish cops would go there and give those people tickets. You see these people purposely going there to cut in instead of waiting like everyone else. This is right by Killarney high school.

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. Apparently the idea of other drivers having a frustration with illegal behaviour in a location such as this is a foreign concept to certain people; of course, since this is an obvious "fishing hole", those same people would likely have an issue with cops ever enforcing there.

Just like a cliche becomes a cliche in large part because there is truth to it... so a fishing hole becomes one largely because it is actually a problem location.

Shorn 09-29-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8040938)

i don't know what the point of posting that link was lol, did you even look at it yourself?

there is no such page on wikipedia

Soundy 09-29-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorn (Post 8042617)
i don't know what the point of posting that link was lol, did you even look at it yourself?

there is no such page on wikipedia

If you didn't get it, there's no point explaining it to you.