REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources

Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources All Nissan & Infiniti Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Weird Tire wear on Z370

I've got a 370z With little bit over 8000km...during my last service (I borrow friends hoist) I notice both of the rear tires are suffering from very uneven wear. The outside (facing away from car) part of tire are wear down to probably 30 -40% while the inner part still have 80%.

The vehicle has no camber mod..not lowered..

I called Nissan they don't seems to know why either.

Any idea ? I want to know before heading to Nissan and ask for a new set of rear tires...
Advertisement
Mr.Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
RS controls my life!

You need to chek your alignment. Take it to Nissan, I believe it's 1 year or 20000kms for alignment warranty. Not unless you curbed your wheels then warranty is voided.
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #3

no curb wheel....weird...Nissan is telling me every thing IS FINE !! that is just the way it is...which i think is full of BS
Mr.Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
did you get an alignment done? a lot guy could have hit a speed bump going fast, or parked into a curb, dealerships will always be quick to tell you everythings ok when it comes to free work you want
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

That sounds off. My guess it maybe could be the toe.

If the alignment is covered under the warranty bring it in to the dealership to have them look at it. There are chances are the dealership doesn't even have the right people who specialize in alignments as well (ie. the folks simply match up the green lights and call it good). There are few dealerships that do however.

I would probably advise you to bring it to alignment shop which specializes in suspension systems get them to align it and see what it comes up with.

How long did you have the vehicle for? Could be a possibility that the car was in alignment the factory and got out of alignment somewhere along the line during the transport of the vehicle (ie. cargo was banged, while the car was being securely held down). If that is the case, the geometry could also be thrown off along with the alignment.
Sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

If the wear patterns are feathered it's most likely toe.

If you don't, do you notice positive camber?
dcE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #7

Just checked my 370Z. Everything looks fine to me. No uneven wear. I'm almost 4000km on mine. Are you corning hard all the time?
Smallermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallermouse View Post
Just checked my 370Z. Everything looks fine to me. No uneven wear. I'm almost 4000km on mine. Are you corning hard all the time?
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
tire pressure?
jpark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

Any news on this? Sounds like the tires are pretty badly worn for only 8000 km of driving. If not an alignment problem, maybe it's a tire defect? As others have mentioned, I'd take it to a suspension and alignment shop and have them give you a second opinion on the alignment.

Another thing I might check out is if there are any kind of spring isolators installed on the rear coil springs? I'm not sure what your car's suspension looks like in the rear, but there's a chance that when the car was new, and before the PDI was performed, there were isolators (pieces of dense foam) on the coil springs for transportation. Believe it or not, I worked on a car today that had over 130,000 km on it, and it had the isolators still on the rear springs! That would cause the ride height to be higher than normal, and theoretically cause a positive camber situation which would wear the outer edge of your tires more than the inner (kind of the opposite of when you slam your car and get major negative camber).
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #11

You need an allignment, or to stop driving the thing like a racecar.

One or the other, should be nothing major at all.
JDMTrueLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Re: Tire Wear

Sounds like toe is off, get an alignment done!!! ASAP!!
sflores2565 is offline   Reply With Quote