REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Adding to a previously submitted tax return

I filed my tax return early in the spring when I was supposed to, but one of my employers did not give me my T4 in time to include it in my return. I haven't received my return yet, and I think it's because of that missing T4. I've looked on the Revenue Canada website, but I haven't seen a form that's relevant to what I was looking for, other than an adjustment form which lets you adjust a claim you already submitted.

Does anybody know how I can add this T4 to my return, or which form is appropriate for this?
Advertisement
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
How to change your return

Quote:
By Internet

You can make changes yourself to your return online. To access our electronic service, log on to My Account and select the Change my return option. You can then enter and submit any changes to your most recent return, or to your returns of the previous two years, and they will be sent directly to our processing systems. For example, you may want to increase a deduction you claimed or add information from a slip you received after you sent us your income tax return.

To change your address, see How to change your address.

By mail

Send both of the following to your tax centre separately from your return:

a completed Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request, or a signed letter providing the details of your request (including the years of the returns you want us to change), your social insurance number, your address, and a telephone number where we can reach you during the day; and
supporting documents for the changes you want to make and, if you have not sent them to us before, supporting documents for your original claim.
The Canada Revenue Agency processes most adjustment requests received electronically within two weeks, and most of those received by mail within eight weeks. However, it may take longer if any of the following situations apply:

Your request is submitted during those times of the year when we receive a higher volume of adjustment requests (late summer and fall).
Your request is for a particular situation requiring further analysis or additional review.
We need to contact you or your authorized representative for further information or documentation.
When we complete our review of your adjustment request, we will send you a notice of reassessment showing any changes to your return and a letter of explanation if we did not accept the changes you requested or the changes were not required.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

It's as simple as sending in your t4 by mail and asking for the amounts to be included.
You'll get a response back in 1-2 months
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

T1 Adjustment should be done by yourself or the accountant who did your tax return. Simply giving them a copy of your T4 is not enough. Proper documentation has to be filed.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
T1 Adjustment should be done by yourself or the accountant who did your tax return. Simply giving them a copy of your T4 is not enough. Proper documentation has to be filed.
They'll process your request regardless. All you have to do is attach a note asking to add another T4.
By now, the agency would have recognized the op has underreported since the agency also receives a
Copy of the T4. They'd include the income regardless.

Having an accountant send a t1adj with a t4 is waste of $40-80.
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
They'll process your request regardless. All you have to do is attach a note asking to add another T4.
By now, the agency would have recognized the op has underreported since the agency also receives a
Copy of the T4. They'd include the income regardless.

Having an accountant send a t1adj with a t4 is waste of $40-80.
Posted via RS Mobile

I'm an accountant and agree. OP it's not rocket science

1) fill out http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-adj/t1-adj-12e.pdf
2) in the "other details" section write a note and attach your T4.
3) wait one month and be prepared to repay some taxes if you received a refund (shouldn't be much depending on the income)
4) You will receive a new Notice Of Assessment - keep that and shred the old one or mark it old so you dont get confused for next year.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: