REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #3376
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
as i understand it if you buy a house with realtor A that was shown to you by realtor B, realtor B has dibs on the commission that realtor A got, if realtor B finds out the same client purchased it

would need a realtor to chime in though

iirc that's why realtors don't bother giving you their full attention unless you sign an agreement
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:29 AM   #3377
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
as i understand it if you buy a house with realtor A that was shown to you by realtor B, realtor B has dibs on the commission that realtor A got, if realtor B finds out the same client purchased it

would need a realtor to chime in though

iirc that's why realtors don't bother giving you their full attention unless you sign an agreement
It's not that B would get the commission from A, they would sue you for the commish.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 04:32 AM   #3378

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
I have to side with miss_crayon. Choose a realtor. If you don't, then don't expect a full effort from any of them.

Put yourself in their position. You have other clients with needs/demands and one guy says I'm testing you, earn my business and get paid.

Unless:

A - you hold multiple properties or have a boatload of cash to buy
B - I was really slow/desparate/or just starting out

I'd probably politely tell you to get fucked. For anyone to be successful in any reasonable profession, they need to give it their full attention. If you're signed on as a client, you would get my full attention and my service would create word of mouth to build a reputation.

No offense to you, Special K, but you're working 3 realtors and don't even know where you want to live. If I were a realtor, I would, very diplomatically, tell you to pound sand and give my clients the service they deserve.
Shouldn't the onus be on the realtor to work hard and provide the best and smartest service to win ur business? It's what everyone else in the free market has to do, why are realtors any different? They certainly get paid plenty for their work (the "good" ones, at least)
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #3379
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Thanks for the input Miss Crayon. I see buying a house just like buying anything else. Whoever gets me the best deal and meets my needs win the commission.

Perhaps I haven't found "the" agent I can work with. We are debating a house in Coquitlam or a condo/townhouse in Vancouver for $700k-$1m.

Agent 1: He has a bias towards Vancouver and seems knowledgabe only in Vancouver. Shows no interest in Coquitlam (and actually bashes it). Lack electronic communcation skills. But he is a family friend.

Agent 2: Perfect communciation. Sends me Coquitlam listings often and not pushy at all. However, she doesn't explain much (see Agent #3). No ties at all.

Agent 3: Close friend referral. Very knowledge in Coquitlam and explains everything. However, he shows us the expensive stuff and is pushy.

These are the reasons why we are keeping all three. They all have different perspectives. We just want to find the best/suitable purchase. What would you recommend doing differently?
It sounds like you need to get rid of all 3 and find a new agent.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #3380
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Thanks for the input Miss Crayon. I see buying a house just like buying anything else. Whoever gets me the best deal and meets my needs win the commission.

Perhaps I haven't found "the" agent I can work with. We are debating a house in Coquitlam or a condo/townhouse in Vancouver for $700k-$1m.

Agent 1: He has a bias towards Vancouver and seems knowledgabe only in Vancouver. Shows no interest in Coquitlam (and actually bashes it). Lack electronic communcation skills. But he is a family friend.

Agent 2: Perfect communciation. Sends me Coquitlam listings often and not pushy at all. However, she doesn't explain much (see Agent #3). No ties at all.

Agent 3: Close friend referral. Very knowledge in Coquitlam and explains everything. However, he shows us the expensive stuff and is pushy.

These are the reasons why we are keeping all three. They all have different perspectives. We just want to find the best/suitable purchase. What would you recommend doing differently?
It's not really like buying anything else though, because the 'deal' that you end up with invariably has nothing to do with whoever you choose as a realtor. All agents have access to the same properties. What you are looking for is the agent who can connect you with the property that suits your needs most appropriately. ie. You can't tell all 3 agents you're currently working with to get you the best deal on this 1 property you are set on and you will sign on with that one, it doesn't work like that. I'm not sure why you are bothering to keep all 3 agents since none of them meet all your needs; what are the odds they can help you find the property you are looking for (especially since good and reasonably priced properties sell within days of listing)? Have you tried telling each of your agents what they are lacking, and how they can better work for you?

Quote:
It may seem like I'm wasting people's time. However, IMO, I don't care. We are committing ourselves to 25-30 years financially. My realtor has no incentive and shares no risk to be in my best interest.
Well realistically you aren't wasting anybody's time. It doesn't take agents very long to set up your criteria in the areas you are looking for, and any time a new listing pops up it just gets emailed to you. But don't expect any agent to actively show you around different listings and represent you until you have sign on an agreement with them. You are right, your agent has no incentive to share your risk, especially 25-30 years down the road. That's why you NEED to know exactly what it is you are looking for, that way you can at least filter out the BS that many agents will spew off to you to convince you of their own agenda.

In this day and age with the ease of access to information, you could realistically get the best deal by not having a representing buying agent. It sounds like you have access to the new listings in your respective areas from your current 3 agents already. If you find something you really want, represent yourself and tell the selling agent to give you a break on the price of the home since there is only 1 side's commission to take care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
It's not that B would get the commission from A, they would sue you for the commish.
And B can't sue you for that unless you sign on with them. But if you sign on with B, why would you buy a property from A? Both agents have access to selling the same inventory.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #3381

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post

And B can't sue you for that unless you sign on with them. But if you sign on with B, why would you buy a property from A? Both agents have access to selling the same inventory.
we are assuming a BRA is signed with B, why else would B think he or she has a right to the commish? legally no standing in Canada (US might be different, b/c they just love to sue!)
Old 03-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #3382

well open house went well, 40+ groups through, I'm sure half were my neighbours

had a few groups return yesterday as well as a few more appointments

ended up getting two offers, one $20K below asking and another $2K over

apparently they really like the house, their only conditions are home inspection, confirm they can get insurance, 2 visits of contractors before closing (reno's)....they offered to close the day i need for my mortgage (up on April 26, just have to confirm 100% the details with my bank), conditions close April 5th and they've put a 10% deposit

thoughts? the deal is open till the end of today....i don't want to risk loosing this offer but i hate not having a counter offer and i hate loosing the possibility of more offers....
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #3383

of course we're getting bitched at from my wife's parents that this is the stupidest thing we could possibly do (we're leaving to go travel again, last time i rented it out and it didn't go so well so i don't want the stress of worrying about the house again while we're away for another year+)....my dad is supportive (understands my thoughts, plus he dealt with the asshole while i was gone so he doesn't want the stress again either) he just says that i should buy some property or something with the money

i know if i come back in another year or three and the prices have gone up 200,000 (and rates) it'll be tough to get back in but fuck we only live once, why spend our capable years doing shit we hate when we can go travel......

sorry for the rant...lots going on in my head
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #3384
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Hey 4444, still waiting for the right fundamentals to kick in? lol!

Vancouver homes prices will climb to $2.1 million by 2030: report

Vancity Credit Union report says new homebuyers should lower their expectations

By On the Coast, CBC NewsPosted: Mar 25, 2015 9:41 PM PT|Last Updated: Mar 25, 2015 9:41 PM PT

Vancity Credit Union expects the average home in Metro Vancouver to cost more than $2 million. (Canadian Press)

Average Vancouver home expected to cost $2.1 million by 2030 8:22

A new housing report from the VanCity Credit Union says the average house price in Vancouver will climb to $2.1 million within 15 years.

Andy Broderick, Vancity's vice-president of community investment, says future homebuyers who want to stay in the Lower Mainland should lower their expectations of what they'll be able to afford to buy.

"We'll be looking at more and more comfort with condo ownership, with living in denser conditions," says Broderick.

The likelihood of new buyers owning a house with a white picket fence is pretty much nil as the report highlights that wages are not growing at anywhere near the same pace as housing prices.

Broderick says the desirability of living in Metro Vancouver is to blame.

"You're here for the very reasons that the place is unaffordable," says Broderick.

"Realize that you may not be able to buy the kind of house you'd buy far up the Fraser Valley."

The report highlights that although Vancouver is the second-most unaffordable city in the world, it's also been named the third-most liveable city in the world.

But the report also mentions that the cost of condos will rise as well, leaving the most affordable options in Metro Vancouver cities like Langley, Port Moody and Coquitlam.

Focus on millennials

The report focuses on home ownership for millennials, or those born approximately between 1980 and the early 2000s.

However, a recent report from U.S.-based Federated Investors highlighted that millennials in North America stand to inherit $30 trillion over the next few decades.

And a recent housing report from the Vancouver-based Urban Futures Institute showed that despite climbing home and condo prices, millennials were more likely to own a home in 2011 than they were in 2006. And yes, that pattern was the same specifically for the Metro Vancouver region as well.

Broderick says the exponential rise in the cost of home ownership is not inevitable.

"I think we all have to elevate our awareness of the problem and start asking our municipalities and our provincial government to pull together to come up with solutions," he says.

Some of the Vancity report's recommendations for various levels of government include changing zoning to increase density, creating affordable housing, and changing tax structures to create incentives for developers.

To listen to the full interview, click on the audio labelled: Average Vancouver home expected to cost $2.1 million by 2030.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #3385
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
of course we're getting bitched at from my wife's parents that this is the stupidest thing we could possibly do (we're leaving to go travel again, last time i rented it out and it didn't go so well so i don't want the stress of worrying about the house again while we're away for another year+)....my dad is supportive (understands my thoughts, plus he dealt with the asshole while i was gone so he doesn't want the stress again either) he just says that i should buy some property or something with the money

i know if i come back in another year or three and the prices have gone up 200,000 (and rates) it'll be tough to get back in but fuck we only live once, why spend our capable years doing shit we hate when we can go travel......

sorry for the rant...lots going on in my head
Props to you for doing what you want to do, I had a coworker leave his project manager job 3 years ago, move to the Bahamas' and take a job entertaining tourists on an island resort. His day consists of taking people fishing, snorkeling and basically whatever the hell they want to do. At first I was like that won't last, 3 years later he and his girlfriend are still there enjoying the sun, no stress and no plans to come back anytime soon.

If I didn't have kids I could see myself doing something like this as well, don't get my wrong I don't regret having them but they do handcuff you.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #3386
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:

apparently they really like the house, their only conditions are home inspection, confirm they can get insurance, 2 visits of contractors before closing (reno's)....they offered to close the day i need for my mortgage (up on April 26, just have to confirm 100% the details with my bank), conditions close April 5th and they've put a 10% deposit

thoughts? the deal is open till the end of today....i don't want to risk loosing this offer but i hate not having a counter offer and i hate loosing the possibility of more offers....
Your realtor should let the other interested party know about the offer above asking price and try to entice a new bid. If they decide to avoid a bidding war, so be it, take the +2k offer. Can't be unhappy getting more than you asked for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #3387

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Vancouver is freaking out of control.....this seems really fishy....the realtor is a slimeball.....

A Vancouver real estate agent who has just sold a home for $567,000 over its published listing price says that underlisting is an accepted selling strategy in the real estate market.

"If the product's right, the timing's right and the inventory is right, it's the right strategy," Paul Eviston told CBC News.

Nevertheless, Eviston said, he would hesitate from using the term "underlisted" in the case of the home at 65 E 26th Ave., originally listed at $1.6 million, which sold for $2,167,000.

"I wouldn't call it underlisted," he said. "I would call it strategically listed to garner the interest level that we wanted to get the result that we got."

Sitting two blocks west of Main Street — both a physical and psychological divide — the home is in an area where prices often exceed $2 million, but the selling price was still a record high, Eviston said.

"It was the highest price per square foot ever achieved for an East Vancouver home," he said.

"We did some very significant marketing on that home. We did a lot of different things to get the buzz going on it."

The listing price attracted around eight interested buyers, Eviston said. That quickly dropped to three serious buyers when it became clear no one was going to secure the house at or near its asking price.

Eviston stands by his strategy on the property, and in the end, he said, it's the market that dictates price.

"We definitely felt that the value was somewhere between where we listed it and where we sold it," he said. "Pricing it where we did was a strategic position to take in the market, and [we felt] that the market would no doubt dictate what the value of the home was."
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #3388
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
Vancouver is freaking out of control.....this seems really fishy....the realtor is a slimeball.....

A Vancouver real estate agent who has just sold a home for $567,000 over its published listing price says that underlisting is an accepted selling strategy in the real estate market.

"If the product's right, the timing's right and the inventory is right, it's the right strategy," Paul Eviston told CBC News.

Nevertheless, Eviston said, he would hesitate from using the term "underlisted" in the case of the home at 65 E 26th Ave., originally listed at $1.6 million, which sold for $2,167,000.

"I wouldn't call it underlisted," he said. "I would call it strategically listed to garner the interest level that we wanted to get the result that we got."

Sitting two blocks west of Main Street — both a physical and psychological divide — the home is in an area where prices often exceed $2 million, but the selling price was still a record high, Eviston said.

"It was the highest price per square foot ever achieved for an East Vancouver home," he said.

"We did some very significant marketing on that home. We did a lot of different things to get the buzz going on it."

The listing price attracted around eight interested buyers, Eviston said. That quickly dropped to three serious buyers when it became clear no one was going to secure the house at or near its asking price.

Eviston stands by his strategy on the property, and in the end, he said, it's the market that dictates price.

"We definitely felt that the value was somewhere between where we listed it and where we sold it," he said. "Pricing it where we did was a strategic position to take in the market, and [we felt] that the market would no doubt dictate what the value of the home was."
Fuck this guy, if he was an investment advisor and tried pulling this shit with a stock he'd lose his license and be sitting is ass in jail right now (well maybe not the 2nd part).

We should all spam this guy and waste his time with fake offers and interest to buy. Want publicity? You'll get it.

People blame Chinese for rising house prices but this asshole is just if not more culpable.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #3389

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
That property was sold in 2013 for $810k. Buyer probably put $500-600k at most into fixing/rebuilding it and sold it for $2.2 less than two years later.

The crazy thing about that property is that the land is only 31.25x107, which is smaller than the standard sized lot of 33x122. The seller is very lucky there was a bidding war - that is the only way it got sold for 500k over list price. But it is in a popular hippy area with a lot of young caucasian couples.

As for Paul Eviston, I once went to an open house of his 2 years ago, and he said "act fast, because this house will be sold this weekend". Cocky ass MF!

The house was still on MLS the next week...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 03-30-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #3390
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
met him before when i was looking for my 1st house, and yes, he has a pretty arrogant demeanor, as was the realtor that was his partner. they told us up front that they listed it "low" on purpose to get interest and start a bidding war, and it's fairly common.

he also said if we weren't going to put an offer of at least $100k over asking - don't bother, we're wasting our time and he wouldn't bother writing up an offer sheet for us as he knows it's going to sell for at LEAST $100k over - most likely $150 at least. he's just 1 of many realtors i tend to avoid dealing with. i only went to 1 or 2 of his open houses sine then just to check out the house/area. i wouldn't get involved in a transaction with him. appreciate the free note pads left in my mailbox though

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #3391

Quote:
Your realtor should let the other interested party know about the offer above asking price and try to entice a new bid. If they decide to avoid a bidding war, so be it, take the +2k offer. Can't be unhappy getting more than you asked for.
just asked her...apparently they came up to asking price, i'm trying to find out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Props to you for doing what you want to do, I had a coworker leave his project manager job 3 years ago, move to the Bahamas' and take a job entertaining tourists on an island resort. His day consists of taking people fishing, snorkeling and basically whatever the hell they want to do. At first I was like that won't last, 3 years later he and his girlfriend are still there enjoying the sun, no stress and no plans to come back anytime soon.

If I didn't have kids I could see myself doing something like this as well, don't get my wrong I don't regret having them but they do handcuff you.
thanks....it's a massive internal struggle to pull the plug here. I keep going back and forth in my head if i sell and run. or do i keep it and rent out (the "profit" off the rent isn't enough to keep us travelling month to month so that means we need to spend atleast 6 months here saving money)

i know what the "smart" move is....but fuck it my desire to get out of this city and go sit on a beach is just too much

what are peoples thought's when in a few years hopefully oil and hopefully our dollar has come back (2+ years), do you think prices will continue to still rise another 10+%???
Old 03-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #3392

Paul Eviston has sold 3 houses on my street in the past few months. Never met such an arrogant person before. He was leaning against his Mercedes M-Class watching people come in and out of his open house. Doesn't even need to do anything except stage the house and put up some signage.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #3393

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
And THAT is why people hate realtors. Fucks like that are the face of the profession.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #3394
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Merge this thread with The Decline of Vancouver.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #3395

and that's why i went with 1%...less service but fuck it, i saved $14K
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #3396
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
of course we're getting bitched at from my wife's parents that this is the stupidest thing we could possibly do
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Had the same talk with the wife this weekend. Deep down, she wants to buy a house and sell our condo. I told her we don't plan on having any kids and so what if the housing market goes up or crashes. We still need a place to live, so we might as well live somewhere we are happy with and when the time comes, we can sell what we have to give the money to our neices/nephews but we don't owe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
And THAT is why people hate realtors. Fucks like that are the face of the profession.
We had Steve Wong show up as an interested buyer but turns out all he was doing was fishing for business to sell at a lower price and gave us a pitch about how he always sells his listings in a week.

I have realtor friends that are nice people, and then you have jerks like these people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #3397
UFO

Quote:

Have your realtor do up a 48hrs clause for you. You accept their offer and terms, but you keep open to other offers. If you get another offer you decide you like, the orig offer has 48hrs to remove all of their subjects to finish the deal otherwise your new offer gets the house.

We did something similar selling our condo recently with the buyer including a subject to sale clause. They had no problems with our subject for the above mentioned, fair for everybody and can show how serious the potential buyer is also
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #3398

for me right now i'm killing myself trying to figure out if i decline and take it off the market and rent it out.....i know after everything this option sounds crazy but i just don't know what the fuck to do
Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #3399
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Tell your inlaws they can be your property manager while you're away if they care so much

In the end, do what makes you and your wife happy. Meddling inlaws are annoying but you can't let them control your life decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #3400

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
As someone who rented out their property from 1000kms away, don't do it. You've already decided you want to leave, now family pressure is making you second guess it. Do what the fuck you want and block out that pressure. You said how much of a headache it was before, so think back to that. If you are planning on travelling and having fun, do you want that in the back of your mind? Your wife's parents are a perfect example of people that have fallen into the "If you don't have real estate you aren't successful" mentality. If you aren't happy with your life you are the unsuccessful one.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: