REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #4026
Director of RS Cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
The long-term plan for that site is 7 towers, with a maximum height of 70 floors. At least the city of Burnaby managed to negotiate a community centre out of the developer.

I've lived in this area for nearly a decade and the long-term transition from light industrial to residential/commercial is finally being realized. There will be more rezoning and more buildings to come. Onni owns the block between Gilmore and Madison and there's another site by Halifax and Gilmore that will be rezoned soon.
Actually, 10-12 towers. Also, tower 1 and 2 are the tallest at 63 storeys (now sold out) and remaining buildings will be built at a lower height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
So my building doesn't have any floor with 4 in it. I've been told its death in chinese?

I wonder if that brentwood building goes from 39-50
We didn't skip any floors this time and will be built with a true 54 storeys (not 53 as somebody else mentioned). 54 will be PH. We did the full #40s stack in T1/T2.
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #4027
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
If it is a in a central location price tends to stay the same or up over time and is easiler to sell
That's the right idea. But you see a crap ton of HUGE towers and complexes go up right around skytrain stations new and old. It all comes down to supply and demand, not necessarily central location. And it seems like there is and will be lots of supply coming onboard in the near future.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:09 AM   #4028
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
FWIW, if there were smaller unit in PH level (and I do mean the absolute top), it is not bad as an investment as they tend to be the last to go down in downturn and goes crazy when going up.

My dad owned a small corner PH unit (only about 400sqft inside) in Taipei next to Taipei 101 as he used to travel back and forth often for a legal issue in Taiwan and he didn't like to stay in hotel very much. When he first got it, it was 12M TWD, about 400K USD 10 years ago. I believe he got it for 15% down and 4% interest. He figured it'd be cheaper than hotel overall and no one would touch his shit (legal paperworks for the case)

He sold it after the whole legal thing was done in 2013 for 25M, or about 800k USD. Now Taipei is in downturn, but it's still around the same price my dad sold it for 2 years ago, coming off 15-20% from the peak.

Its current owner just rent it out to foreign companies as executive stays and supposedly is doing ok. And his clients love it for the location as well as the environment.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #4029
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

This is fucking bullshit and makes my blood boil.

Quote:
Because homeowners are failing to report global income, some of Metro Vancouver’s most elite neighbourhoods appear “poor” and therefore pay low or no income taxes. Some mansion owners receive welfare cheques.
Thousands of Metro Vancouver mansion owners avoiding taxes | Vancouver Sun
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #4030

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post

It's actually hard to go after those.

Many of their income falls under different people's name and last time I checked, having a mansion while getting minimum wage isn't a crime.

Say a rich second-gen has his parents supplying everything he needs plus more. From a taxable income perspective, gift or family assistance are not considered as taxable income. And if such person doesn't work, he/she actually falls into the definition of low income.

I'd like them to review the welfare checks though, I mean, those are meant to assist people who really need them and not people who live in baller life but falls into the technicality of low-income definition.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #4031
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
there is the idea of giving everyone a welfare cheque, including the wealthy, the belief (universal welfare) is that those that dont need it will simply put that money back into the economy, and it's easier (cheaper) to administer, whereas selective welfare is more tedious and expensive to deal out
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #4032
nah

They really need to do it like Australia where foreigners are taxed on their property purchase regardless if it's new or not. At least the country will be able to recoup some of the welfare money given to these people. When you're considered low income you don't pay MSP premiums, free prescription drugs, etc.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #4033
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
That's the right idea. But you see a crap ton of HUGE towers and complexes go up right around skytrain stations new and old. It all comes down to supply and demand, not necessarily central location. And it seems like there is and will be lots of supply coming onboard in the near future.
More towers going up then during the Olympics, prices are climbing for construction of them. All those guys who signed up cheap towers last year where they are just starting them now are going to get fucked royally when it cost them 25% more plus to complete them. The other side of the coin is all those developers who waited awarding the work planning to shop to the very last minute are going to get a wake up call when nobody is holding there expired prices and it's costing them more money.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 AM   #4034
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
there is the idea of giving everyone a welfare cheque, including the wealthy, the belief (universal welfare) is that those that dont need it will simply put that money back into the economy, and it's easier (cheaper) to administer, whereas selective welfare is more tedious and expensive to deal out
Pretty much. It's not like the people who actually need the welfare checks are doing anything positive with it. Most you could give 5X the amount and it wouldn't make a difference, just more money to spend foolishly
Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #4035
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

Is not hard to do. Say a family of 4 dad wife and 2 kids. Dad decides to stay in his own country to run his multi billion dollar company and chose not to report any of it to revenue Canada coz he isn't a Canada citizen or Canadian. But wife and kids are staying here. Now since wife isn't working coz dad's supplying the money she is considered a low income living in a multi million house, getting free Health Care, low income assistance, doesn't pay tax and her 2 kids are getting child support etc etc.... all while driving a mercedes, using a hermes purse, her kids driving ferrari. Oh and to make it even better since her kids are now Canadian citizen they also get the pay tution fees that local pay rather than the rate international students pay.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #4036

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
All of the foreign multi billionaires I hang out with definitely come to Canada and collect welfare so their kids can drive ferraris and get free Doctor checkup.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #4037
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

Welcome to, oh, 2+ decades ago.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2015, 11:55 PM   #4038
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Welcome to, oh, 2+ decades ago.
Back then it was the Cantonese folks from HK. Now, it's mainlanders from China.

At the end of the day, that student loan money will fund that new body kit (at least from what I witnessed during my day).
Old 10-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #4039
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
Back then it was the Cantonese folks from HK. Now, it's mainlanders from China.
I'm sure we've covered this topic before -- while there are similarities between the Cantonese HK folks from the 90's and the Mainland China folks that we get now, there are also significant differences as well. The 2 things that stand out the most are:

1) the relatively manageable number of Cantonese HK immigrants vs the overwhelming number of Mainland Chinese immigrants

2) the upper middle class wealth from the Cantonese HK immigrants vs the opulent super rich Mainland Chinese immigrants

Try as they might, the HK folks from the 90's could only shift and influence the markets a bit. The current Mainland Chinese folks, on the other hand, are completely re-defining the market landscape.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #4040

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Unrelated to most of the recent discussion, but interesting real estate news nevertheless...

It looks like the Bentall 1-4 towers are now for sale. I'm not sure what Ivanhoe Cambridge is thinking, but maybe they think there's too much office space coming online in Vancouver?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #4041
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'm sure we've covered this topic before -- while there are similarities between the Cantonese HK folks from the 90's and the Mainland China folks that we get now, there are also significant differences as well. The 2 things that stand out the most are:

1) the relatively manageable number of Cantonese HK immigrants vs the overwhelming number of Mainland Chinese immigrants

2) the upper middle class wealth from the Cantonese HK immigrants vs the opulent super rich Mainland Chinese immigrants

Try as they might, the HK folks from the 90's could only shift and influence the markets a bit. The current Mainland Chinese folks, on the other hand, are completely re-defining the market landscape.
Back in those days, those guys drove around in BMW 328's and C280's. And a few M3's.
Today, it's Lambos, Ferarri's, and other super high end super cars with their N's on the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #4042
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
^Back in the day the immigrants made efforts to learn English and assimilate

Now Chinamen still think they are living in China. Ugghh..go back to your shitholes if you don't want to let go of that culture
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #4043
nah

Now they're moving onto commercial real estate. Would not surprise me to see a Chinese firm buy the Bentall complex.

Chinese investors scoop up Vancouver and Toronto office towers, as more eye commercial market
Old 10-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #4044
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Unrelated to most of the recent discussion, but interesting real estate news nevertheless...

It looks like the Bentall 1-4 towers are now for sale. I'm not sure what Ivanhoe Cambridge is thinking, but maybe they think there's too much office space coming online in Vancouver?
they'll get a really good price for it in this cap rate environment. maybe they need the liquidity to build something / make higher return elsewhere.

i'd imagine the bentall centres are a pretty safe bet from the perspective of lease space as they have so many anchor tenants (accounting firms, banks, etc.) as opposed to the consolidating smaller mining companies (though there are plenty in the bentall centres), fly by night tech companies, etc.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #4045
nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
they'll get a really good price for it in this cap rate environment. maybe they need the liquidity to build something / make higher return elsewhere.

i'd imagine the bentall centres are a pretty safe bet from the perspective of lease space as they have so many anchor tenants (accounting firms, banks, etc.) as opposed to the consolidating smaller mining companies (though there are plenty in the bentall centres), fly by night tech companies, etc.
The mall is pretty dead though, only stores that make money is in the food court. They should just make the place a giant food pavilion.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:52 AM   #4046
Old School RS

Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,205 Posts
I work in one of the Bentall towers and there are actually a lot of vacancies in the underground commercial space, there is one good sized one that has been vacant since I started in February.

Mark
Old 10-02-2015, 06:24 AM   #4047
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I work in one of the Bentall towers and there are actually a lot of vacancies in the underground commercial space, there is one good sized one that has been vacant since I started in February.

Mark
i wonder what the relative cost of office vs. commercial space is in those buildings.

whilst way more visible to the average person, given the sheer relative scope i'd imagine that as long as office vacancies are low, the commercial is irrelevant. in the end of the day, the commercial is really only there to cater to the office workers (in simple terms)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #4048
Old School RS

Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,205 Posts
Oh I absolutely agree that that is a small component in the overall project's operating income, but I just thought it was interesting as to the best of my knowledge, the office towers are perpetually leased or close to it, you would think this would drive demand for the retail even though it's only limited hours.

Mark
Old 10-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #4049

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
It's hard to imagine what interesting retail would go in the old Grand and Toy space since most people in the area who want to shop go to Robson or Pacific Centre. There are a few Mom and Pop food outlets there, so it can't be too expensive to lease space.

There's a relatively new men's made-to-measure outlet. I had a chat with the proprietor's daughter one afternoon. Nice people, though I'm not sure how well they'll do over the long-term. At least they're another local source for Allen Edmonds shoes.

Anyway, enough rambling. Where were we? Vancouver has sold its soul! Vancouver has no jobs, no prospects, and has shitty drivers. I'm leaving for San Fran, Austin, Shanghai, Dubai, Berlin! Carry on!

Last edited by Tapioca; 10-02-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #4050
nah

I think you'll see a brain drain down south again with the USD being as strong as it is.