REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #4776
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypediss View Post
better question is how the hell can they bring that much cash in such short amount of time when there's these "supposed" limits on how much they could bring out of china or in to Canada

this link shows one: Follow the money: Evidence submitted at fraud probe points to concerns about Vancouver real estate market

but it can't be the only way... other than having 10,000 friends and family to transfer the money to them...
anything and everything can be done in this world.

4 million dollars is really nothing to bring into a country. there are loopholes to everything, or you just don't get caught doing it,

you can take a look at the drug market in the states for example. millions of kilos make there way into the states illegally and billions of dollars leave illegally. how is it possible? it just does
Advertisement
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #4777
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
If I buy a stock and make a profit I have to pay tax on 50% of my gain (excluding RRSP TFSA here). If I work a regular job I have to pay taxes according to my marginal tax rate not to mention all other other deductions like CPP and EI government takes. So why is it this guy who have lived at this residence for less than 5 years can potentially net over $1,000,000+ not have pay a dime on this profit? The current system of principal residence exemption needs to be abolished once for all. This should guy be paying taxes on at least half of his capital gain just like if I a buy a stock since he never had the intention of living their permanently.
like kr4l said, it is because he took a risk. there is little to stop you from buying a place, living there, pay someone to renovate / reconstruct, etc. and take potential gains tax free.

the problem is, if he is $2M into a project, he could sell for $3M or equally the market could crash and he's sitting on $1M, losing $1M. when you go to work everyday, there's no chance of it costing you money (well, opportunity cost, perhaps).

but beyond that, you're point is bang on, the idea of the capital gains exemption is that houses are meant to be homes, not investments. he's clearly skirting the spirit of this tax break, and one could definitely argue that something should be done about it.

i do not know the specifics of that tax law, but have a rough knowledge that there's a limit to how many homes in a certain time period you can claim as a principal residence.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #4778
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

vancouver's property market is basically the wild west of capitalism. 2008 financial crisis was caused by the same shenanigans and greed. i couldn't careless tbh, in fact welcome so i pay less property tax, if home prices drop 30+% in this city to bring it to a more normal level and drive out all the spectators.

to point of about this builder did not violate any laws. Hitler did not break any international laws by starting WWII. the Nuremberg trial was to advance the international law making an hostile invasion of another country illegal; however, Hitler did not break any law so maybe he shouldn't have committed suicide. most of the time laws are lagging behind societal and economic events.

Last edited by Carl Johnson; 02-08-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #4779
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
Problem is, the Chinese are coming in and buying with cash. Only poor people like us would need a mortgage.

It could possibly be an excellent investment. "What if" next year it can sell for $4 million? That's a million in one year, way more than what that guy is pocketing.

It sure beats buying that 100 year old shack in Vancouver a few pages back for like 2.5 million.
I'm sure it is for them. If I were laundering dirty money, I wouldn't give a shit either. Even if the market craters by 50%, losing half is better than losing everything.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #4780
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
organized crime love the Vancouver Housing market too...i wonder how many of these realtors get fronted 2 million dollars to cash 3.1 million on flipping houses than take a cut of 100 grand,launder the 3 million back of "Clean" money back to international Countries. ...Bet you the government doesn't think of these things cause the Tax is Already covering them
Old 02-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #4781
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
vancouver's property market is basically the wild west of capitalism. 2008 financial crisis was caused by the same shenanigans and greed. i couldn't careless tbh, in fact welcome so i pay less property tax, if home prices drop 30+% in this city to bring it to a more normal level and drive out all the spectators.

to point of about this builder did not violate any laws. Hitler did not break any international laws by starting WWII . the Nuremberg trial was to advance the international law making an hostile invasion of another country illegal; however, Hitler did not break any law so maybe he shouldn't have committed suicide. most of the time laws are lagging behind societal and economic events.
Godwin's Law. SMFH at the bolded statement are you fucking serious?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #4782
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Did Vancouver developers just get tossed into the same group as Hitler?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #4783
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
like kr4l
i do not know the specifics of that tax law, but have a rough knowledge that there's a limit to how many homes in a certain time period you can claim as a principal residence.
heeey something I can chime in on... I think :P

"Only one property can be designated a principal residence in any given year"

ITA 40(2)(b) for the capital gain reduction formula

Income Tax Act

quoted here
Spoiler!
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #4784
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
This is a good Globe and Mail article about how some realtors
Use "assignment clauses" in sales contracts to sell houses and make tax free gains as the middlemen:

The real estate technique fuelling Vancouver's housing market - The Globe and Mail
shadow flipping is not even new. lmao what's there to investigate about? everyone in the business already done it. u r 5 years bhind the curve
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #4785
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
These builders with multiple homes aren't claiming residence there, they re buying properties wit holdings companies and then just paying the associated Business taxes no?
Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #4786
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
These builders with multiple homes aren't claiming residence there, they re buying properties wit holdings companies and then just paying the associated Business taxes no?
Holding companies, wives/husband names, kids names, cousins
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #4787
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
you can only use primary residence 1 per year per household (spouse and children under 18) they'll still have to pay taxes under a holding company... eventually?
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #4788
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Could be wrong but can they not defer the tax to the purchaser once the property is listed and sold?

I know that's a common practice for condos when a developer "buys" out abunch of units, he then defers the taxes onto the buyer when the property is sold. (Had this almost happen to me when I bought late last year)
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #4789
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Could be wrong but can they not defer the tax to the purchaser once the property is listed and sold?

I know that's a common practice for condos when a developer "buys" out abunch of units, he then defers the taxes onto the buyer when the property is sold. (Had this almost happen to me when I bought late last year)
forgive my ignorance on the subject, how did you find out? how did you work it out or turned down the deal?
thaks
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #4790

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
you can only use primary residence 1 per year per household (spouse and children under 18) they'll still have to pay taxes under a holding company... eventually?
absolutely, holdco ownership of single family real estate is only good if income is earned in the holdco first (then used to buy said real estate).
Old 02-10-2016, 01:46 AM   #4791
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I know builders who have 3+ homes going, lines of credits against their principle home maxed out, no cash on hand, don't pay contractors so they have liens against their properties. They basically wait for the 1st home to sell so they can pay the bills.

It's actually ridiculous to think some people have leveraged themselves to the point of no return if the RE market starts to tank.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2016, 02:00 AM   #4792
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
An article in the globe and mail about how property transfers are avoiding taxation by assigning properties before the sale closes, and a few other things.

It's a bit long

The real estate technique fuelling Vancouver's housing market - The Globe and Mail

Giant ass scheme that only pushes the prices of Vancouver real estate higher
The author of this story did an AMA (ask me anything) on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...mail_reporter/
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:50 AM   #4793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
I know builders who have 3+ homes going, lines of credits against their principle home maxed out, no cash on hand, don't pay contractors so they have liens against their properties. They basically wait for the 1st home to sell so they can pay the bills.

It's actually ridiculous to think some people have leveraged themselves to the point of no return if the RE market starts to tank.
and many think this won't end badly, or isn't like the US.

though it may not be entirely the same, a similar level of complacency from buyers, to lenders, and even the government is blatantly apparent (to me, at least).
Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #4794
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinico View Post
forgive my ignorance on the subject, how did you find out? how did you work it out or turned down the deal?
thaks
Had a smart realtor that knew to look into it. As my unit was still owned by the developer and had been a professional rental. We just put it in the contract that any taxes that would've been deferred he had to pay if he wanted to complete the sale.

Literally just an extra sentence (clause) in the contract.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #4795
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post

there are also people that are doing that who aren't builders or construction professionals. home renos at best with maybe a couple friends in a trade. i think the mentality is "all you do is hire subs to build for you, what can possibly go wrong amirite?"

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:24 AM   #4796
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,691 Posts
Interesting news about an provincial investigation into "shadow flipping".

Province agrees to shadow-flipping investigation by BC Real Estate Council - NEWS 1130

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The “assignment clause” is being blamed for our out-of-control housing market.

It allows a contract to pass hands between sellers before the closing date.

Even though it’s not illegal, questions have been raised about the ethics of it.

Now the province agrees that so-called shadow-flipping has become enough of an issue to spur an investigation by the BC Real Estate Council.

Some have suggested stripping out certain language from contracts, but is the solution even that complex?

“Many commentators have assumed that somehow there is special wording in the contract that allows assignment. The reality is that standard residential contract is silent. For any contract, including a real estate contract, it can be assigned, unless there is prohibition,” says Ron Usher, a lawyer with the Society of Notaries Public of British Columbia.

Meaning you need to ad, not subtract.

He says there are already existing clauses that work well for that and can easily be inserted in a contract, giving control over assignability to the seller.

“The only way to get control over assignability is to make sure the contract does in fact mention assignments. Typically you’ll want a clause very similar to what every developer does that gives the seller control over what happens to the contract after it’s signed,” says Usher.

The clauses have been around for quite a while but until now, have never been much of an issue for houses.

“In a normal market, this doesn’t come up very often in the residential world but we can certainly look at what the developer has done for decades,” says Usher.

He adds, there is literature on the subject and your realtor should be able to discuss the issue with you.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #4797
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
to spur an investigation by the BC Real Estate Council lol

Crooks investigating crooks imo
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #4798
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
What are peoples thoughts about buying a Pre-Sale from a Developer who's company name is no where to be found?

Specifically I'm talking about Avalonna Home LTD who's selling the pre-sale townhome by Killarney. Beside the company name, nothing exists online. No website, nothing.

Obviously with no history you the trust factor of workmanship etc are unknown. Are there concerns of them taking all your money and running? What are some reasons why a developer basically wants to remain hidden like that?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #4799
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i did a quick google search on that company name and found the following:
Find a Builder
http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/db/avalonna_homes_ltd

both sites point to a home in van.west as the location of the business with a contact "Daljit Dhami". sounds like they're a single detached home builder maybe growing and doing wood frame condos. if that's the case i don't think they're trying to stay hidden, they're just that small and don't even have a company website.

another option could be that this is an umbrella company to protect the owner/developer's assets since it's named after the complex and the farm it's built on. i've seen even big developers do that and create a company and just name it literally the address of the building it's on in case things go south they're financially protected.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #4800
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
What are peoples thoughts about buying a Pre-Sale from a Developer who's company name is no where to be found?

Specifically I'm talking about Avalonna Home LTD who's selling the pre-sale townhome by Killarney. Beside the company name, nothing exists online. No website, nothing.

Obviously with no history you the trust factor of workmanship etc are unknown. Are there concerns of them taking all your money and running? What are some reasons why a developer basically wants to remain hidden like that?
Probably one of those developers that Harvey is talking about. Waiting to sell previous homes under a different name to start new projects. Developer will probably need to build quick to pay bills. Caveat emptor.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote