REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #5751
linguistic ninja
 
CivicBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 13,739
Thanked 564 Times in 176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
says the man whose parents own multiple properties and runs a landlord business. hypocrite like you don't know when to STFU and just leave this thread once and for all.
Sounds like you're the biggest butthurt poster here and this post confirms it. So you don't agree with what 4444 says so he should just stop posting? Wow. I've read most of his and your posts and what he says makes perfect sense from an financial advice standpoint. Just because you made good in a completely irrational and unprecedented time period on a single asset, doesn't mean it's going to be that way for everybody else.
Advertisement
__________________
http://www.en.wikipedia.org

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #5752
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
quasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cloverdale
Posts: 9,926
Thanked 1,965 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
I'm almost certain that house was a fire repair from year back. The house almost completely burnt down but they rebuilt it without doing a complete tear down. It was either this house or the one next to it but I'm pretty sure it was this one.

As mentioned above that's a super busy intersection, traffic noise would be brutal.
__________________



“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #5753
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 26,830
Thanked 6,604 Times in 2,295 Posts
For $499 though, some value there.

In regards to the river district, I'm gonna head down there soon and walk around, it's an area that intrigues me but I have no idea what's going on there, much like Burke mountain.

I'll drag my camera with me and get some pics to bring back.

Also, is there an easy way for me to upload a word document to share? Drop box or somthing? I just completed a walk through list for a friend buying a new townhouse, includes things to look for in terms of deficiencies etc. be more than happy to share it here, it's relevant for all new construction really
__________________
Canucks - ftw!
Hondaracer is online now  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #5754
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,286
Thanked 5,396 Times in 1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
For $499 though, some value there.

In regards to the river district, I'm gonna head down there soon and walk around, it's an area that intrigues me but I have no idea what's going on there, much like Burke mountain.

I'll drag my camera with me and get some pics to bring back.

Also, is there an easy way for me to upload a word document to share? Drop box or somthing? I just completed a walk through list for a friend buying a new townhouse, includes things to look for in terms of deficiencies etc. be more than happy to share it here, it's relevant for all new construction really
Google drive is a good choice where you can get a shareable link. From this link you can choose if the link allows other people to edit or to only view. It also allows for real time changes.
CRS is online now  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #5755
Lomac owned my ass at least once
 
winson604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vansterdam
Posts: 6,493
Thanked 891 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
For $499 though, some value there.

In regards to the river district, I'm gonna head down there soon and walk around, it's an area that intrigues me but I have no idea what's going on there, much like Burke mountain.

I'll drag my camera with me and get some pics to bring back.

Also, is there an easy way for me to upload a word document to share? Drop box or somthing? I just completed a walk through list for a friend buying a new townhouse, includes things to look for in terms of deficiencies etc. be more than happy to share it here, it's relevant for all new construction really
Will come in handy for me next year thanks in advance!
__________________
"back at the line to Babych.... LONG SHOT....Potvin had trouble with it....ADAM SHOOTS SCORES!!!!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #5756
this is the hardest n***a of all time
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,492
Thanked 4,444 Times in 1,780 Posts
i have an acquaintance living there. nice area. i would think all the new traffic lights going in on marine would slow any potential speeding down there now. i wonder if fraser and water levels are an issue during heavy rain.
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/611711-glow-1-0-0-a.html

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #5757
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
pure.life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,819
Thanked 799 Times in 239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Will come in handy for me next year thanks in advance!
There is a railway track there and a train passes by every day. It's quite close to the residential area. I have heard mix reviews.
pure.life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #5758
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 239 Times in 120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure.life View Post
There is a railway track there and a train passes by every day. It's quite close to the residential area. I have heard mix reviews.
I find quite the opposite. Mind you I'm at work during the day but weeknights and weekends I rarely hear a train go by. Although I've been home the past 2 Fridays including today and it's never passed any of these days. Maybe the people you know that says it passes by everyday is just unlucky on the days they're home?
6thGear. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #5759
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 26,830
Thanked 6,604 Times in 2,295 Posts
Once you've lived by the train for a while you never hear it anyways
__________________
Canucks - ftw!
Hondaracer is online now  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #5760
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 136
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
There's also a new development going on at the NW corner of Boundary and Marine Dr so that's across from the River District. Still Vancouver

I don't drive slow enough to read the sign but I think it's also residential. They cleared a forest to build there.
Scotsman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #5761
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts
 
jing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: tha C-O-Q
Posts: 5,281
Thanked 1,991 Times in 526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
There's also a new development going on at the NW corner of Boundary and Marine Dr so that's across from the River District. Still Vancouver

I don't drive slow enough to read the sign but I think it's also residential. They cleared a forest to build there.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that development you're referring to is still a part of the "new" River District.
__________________
my feedback
jing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #5762
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
fishCak3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: .
Posts: 577
Thanked 230 Times in 81 Posts
I work in the business park next to River District on the Burnaby side. Sometimes we use Kent Ave to avoid traffic on Marine until the construction shut Kent down.

I would worry about liquidfaction along the river though. Our building had visible signs showing the building sliding towards the river. But this could only be us though since we're an older building built in the early 2000s.

One thing to note is the smell. We do receive various smells in the business park from time to time and it's not pleasant. We've filed smell complaints to Metro Vancouver and notified WorkSafeBC as some people have showed signs of discomfort.

Just FYI
fishCak3s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #5763
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,645
Thanked 343 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
sorry dude, i own lots of different types of assets (remember, I preach diversification, so owning lots of different assets and rebalance, this totally includes a portion of RE): buy low sell high. you can't win them all, but follow that advice and you'll do well.

not sure why you're talking about my parents, i'm not some 20 something punk who considers their parents' stuff as their own.
your point of diversification has gone back since the beginning and it hasn't helped anyone who is still renting by listing to your specious argument. my point is that you have already made your point long ago, it is time to move on. I don't get what is your true agenda here because i don't honestly believe you are trying to "help" anyone here by telling them don't buy and rent. diversification sounds nice but diversification has another meaning: you don't know what you are doing.
Carl Johnson is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #5764
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,645
Thanked 343 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Sounds like you're the biggest butthurt poster here and this post confirms it. So you don't agree with what 4444 says so he should just stop posting? Wow. I've read most of his and your posts and what he says makes perfect sense from an financial advice standpoint. Just because you made good in a completely irrational and unprecedented time period on a single asset, doesn't mean it's going to be that way for everybody else.
reality is often not what it seems. the guys who makes it big don't go the conventional route like 4444 is "preaching".
Carl Johnson is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #5765
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,181
Thanked 447 Times in 160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
I would worry about liquidfaction along the river though. Our building had visible signs showing the building sliding towards the river. But this could only be us though since we're an older building built in the early 2000s.
Dude less than 20 years old and your building is sliding? That's kinda scary.
jackmeister is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #5766
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: van
Posts: 335
Thanked 1,890 Times in 166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
There's also a new development going on at the NW corner of Boundary and Marine Dr so that's across from the River District. Still Vancouver

I don't drive slow enough to read the sign but I think it's also residential. They cleared a forest to build there.
2 6 story buildings going in that space and I believe they are rental only
Coren is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #5767
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,530
Thanked 16,683 Times in 3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
reality is often not what it seems. the guys who makes it big don't go the conventional route like 4444 is "preaching".
K actually stop now....
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #5768
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 26,830
Thanked 6,604 Times in 2,295 Posts
Here's a link to my home owner orientation walk-through checklist:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0e...ew?usp=sharing

This was something i adapted from the checklists we use for our own walkthroughs prior to customer walkthroughs, I added notes in each section as to what to look for specifically, it was kind of rushed so i will try to make a revised version in the future, but a little help for people right now, i'll post it on the next page as well when we roll onto it.
__________________
Canucks - ftw!
Hondaracer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #5769
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 193
Thanked 98 Times in 39 Posts
So you being a numbers guy and all, tell me.... short of a dirty bomb or earthquake. How is the projected population increase of 1.2M in vancouver/surrey/burnaby/tricities in the next 30 years going to make house prices drop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
WTF is the obsession with owning. why does the government want to interfere with lower income people's ability to buy a place.

i do understand the theory that ownership makes for more stable neighbourhoods, and their is truth to that, but it also limits flexibility and mobility to a large degree which is a massive negative in our more and more globalized economy.

personally, i hate these types of programs. if you can't afford to buy, don't. but then again, we all know that this is just a way to force people to save... even though this is basically making real estate a massive ponzi scheme.

governments really just need to protect their residents' interests, not mess around with low income/ high income/ whatever income people's ability to do this, that, or the other. they should concentrate on tightening their borders, banking, and real estate activities if they want to bring reality and affordability back to the masses.
Digitalis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:25 PM   #5770
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,530
Thanked 16,683 Times in 3,593 Posts
Show me the jobs that can sustain that growth AND allow people to afford to live here. All it's going to take is one change in ownership restrictions to drastically affect this. Now, it's always going to be a desirable place to live. It's not going to come crumbling down anytime soon. But changes certainly can, and will happen.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #5771
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Hehe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YVR/TPE
Posts: 2,688
Thanked 1,239 Times in 503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
So you being a numbers guy and all, tell me.... short of a dirty bomb or earthquake. How is the projected population increase of 1.2M in vancouver/surrey/burnaby/tricities in the next 30 years going to make house prices drop?
Honestly, if we are going to talk about long term like 30yrs, how is this even a question?

It's all about affordability. A decent income (say 130k pre-tax?) couple can afford what? Maybe 1M mortgage (roughly 3k/mth in payment and another 1~1.5k or so for property tax, insurance... etc) at 2.8% interest rate, a relative historic low.

This is a stretch already. Let's assume the couple has 8k/month after tax. You take 4k out of that equation, the couple is left with 4k to bring food to the table, child care, and every other expense for the family.

Let's just assume that NOTHING changes in the next 30yrs except the population for simplicity sake. Unless all 1.3M new immigrants to BC are all multi-millionaire or all CEO who gets paid 500k+ per year, I really don't see how much further can the real estate go. No matter how you justify the pricing, it can only go until people simply can't afford anymore.

For the price to continue growing, Vancouver's economic has to have a major transformation. We cannot sustain the RE pricing with RE industry as the main contributor to GDP. There has to be a similar growth in wage, job opportunities or if we want to cater rich foreign investors, a devaluation on CAD in similar percentage to the RE growth... all which simply mean the loonie in your hand would worth less (inflation).
__________________
Nothing for now
Hehe is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 11:43 PM   #5772
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,645
Thanked 343 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Show me the jobs that can sustain that growth AND allow people to afford to live here. All it's going to take is one change in ownership restrictions to drastically affect this. Now, it's always going to be a desirable place to live. It's not going to come crumbling down anytime soon. But changes certainly can, and will happen.
really? do you honestly think government will put a stop to the real industry which has being a huge bonanza to the government's coffer when the energy/mining sector has taken quite a hit lately?

by the way, prices are usually a leading indicator of things to come. and i believe Vancouver and the province as a whole has got a lot momentum going for it. if you think it is expensive now, you just wait.
Carl Johnson is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-15-2016, 11:47 PM   #5773
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Ludepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,323
Thanked 548 Times in 159 Posts
If the price goes down or up. Who cares. You have no control over these external factors.
Just get in and worry about the consequences later. At the end of the day its upto both husband and wife to bring home the money by having solid careers. That way when the ship sinks...your neighbors will go down first.
Ludepower is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 11:48 PM   #5774
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 237
Thanked 191 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Honestly, if we are going to talk about long term like 30yrs, how is this even a question?

It's all about affordability. A decent income (say 130k pre-tax?) couple can afford what? Maybe 1M mortgage (roughly 3k/mth in payment and another 1~1.5k or so for property tax, insurance... etc) at 2.8% interest rate, a relative historic low.

This is a stretch already. Let's assume the couple has 8k/month after tax. You take 4k out of that equation, the couple is left with 4k to bring food to the table, child care, and every other expense for the family.

Let's just assume that NOTHING changes in the next 30yrs except the population for simplicity sake. Unless all 1.3M new immigrants to BC are all multi-millionaire or all CEO who gets paid 500k+ per year, I really don't see how much further can the real estate go. No matter how you justify the pricing, it can only go until people simply can't afford anymore.

For the price to continue growing, Vancouver's economic has to have a major transformation. We cannot sustain the RE pricing with RE industry as the main contributor to GDP. There has to be a similar growth in wage, job opportunities or if we want to cater rich foreign investors, a devaluation on CAD in similar percentage to the RE growth... all which simply mean the loonie in your hand would worth less (inflation).
Even if you assume they can afford the monthly payments how are most people going to be able to afford the down payment on such an expensive property with the cost of living being so high.
Adorkami is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #5775
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,645
Thanked 343 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
If the price goes down or up. Who cares. You have no control over these external factors.
Just get in and worry about the consequences later. At the end of the day its upto both husband and wife to bring home the money by having solid careers. That way when the ship sinks...your neighbors will go down first.
if only others will listen. too many people analyze the most trivial data and somehow try to fit those information into their already established beliefs (confirmation bias).

you want stay in vancouver for the long term and have a family? buy if you have the financial backings. do not wait! it doesn't get any more simpler than that. all the other stuff is garbage.
Carl Johnson is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net