REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #6201
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Gululu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Shaughnessy
Posts: 564
Thanked 755 Times in 209 Posts
whats ur opinion on recently completed high rise condos with no Electric vehicle charging stations. like wtf? just drives me insane
Advertisement
Gululu is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2016, 12:23 AM   #6202
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
bcedhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 604
Posts: 3,813
Thanked 1,096 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
whats ur opinion on recently completed high rise condos with no Electric vehicle charging stations. like wtf? just drives me insane
based on building bylaws for the CoV

Parking stalls - 20% of the parking stalls in every building must include a receptacle for charging cars.
Electrical room - The electrical room must include enough space to install any equipment necessary to provide charging for all residents in the future.

The city probably can boost its rate to maybe 30-40% within this decade, but honestly, the amount of tesla/leaf/volt,etc vehicles are still a margin % in condos.

I see a lot of condos with electric outlets being used for other uses like charging their cordless vacuums and other appliances.
bcedhk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:26 AM   #6203
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
bcedhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 604
Posts: 3,813
Thanked 1,096 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
bcedhk,

do you really get the chance to know who your neighbor is when you buy a developed condo either?
Pretty much what Sonick said. When I was looking for my first rental in Richmond, i went to a condo where the elevator had a sign that said "please do not spit in the elevator". Afterwards, the floor i was on had a strong weed and cig smell. So imo, those are some preliminary signs that I personally would look for in a developed condo unit.
bcedhk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 AM   #6204
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,408
Thanked 7,181 Times in 1,914 Posts
I was looking to buy an investment unit at a new development in Richmond last year and my realtor told me to stay away. He said the new buildings are rundown and not well kept and now reading the comments in this thread confirm what he told me.
Harvey Specter is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:43 AM   #6205
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,950
Thanked 1,439 Times in 726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
whats ur opinion on recently completed high rise condos with no Electric vehicle charging stations. like wtf? just drives me insane
You do know that the install cost for one these outlet is really expensive right. Not to mention the maintanice fees are not cheap. I would rather they add this as an add on. if the unit owner wants to have one install they have to pay more and also pay for their own maintance fees. Some people don't see the need for them (I am one of them why add the cost my unit/starta fee when I am against it). Let those who wants one pay themselves.
Mr.HappySilp is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2016, 01:37 AM   #6206
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,647
Thanked 1,936 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
You do know that the install cost for one these outlet is really expensive right. Not to mention the maintanice fees are not cheap. I would rather they add this as an add on. if the unit owner wants to have one install they have to pay more and also pay for their own maintance fees. Some people don't see the need for them (I am one of them why add the cost my unit/starta fee when I am against it). Let those who wants one pay themselves.
out of interest, who pays for the electricity for an outlet in common space like a garage? would it be from the strata?
4444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #6207
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,950
Thanked 1,439 Times in 726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
out of interest, who pays for the electricity for an outlet in common space like a garage? would it be from the strata?
that's correct.
Mr.HappySilp is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #6208
Old School RS
 
lowside67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: West Vancouver
Posts: 3,962
Thanked 2,868 Times in 862 Posts
Currently, because the electric car phenomenon is somewhat new relative to the age of most real estate. However, you had better believe that the time is coming where strata owners will be billed for the electricity to charge your car - that free ride is not going to last. There are WAY too many people who don't have electric cars who are vocal about not paying for other peoples' uses.

Mark
__________________
2011 BMW 128I
lowside67 is online now  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #6209
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,312
Thanked 1,796 Times in 949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
You can get a good idea of the people living in the building by looking at things like the cars in the parking garage, condition of the garbage room, condition and cleanliness of the public areas, and reading the strata documents.
While you make a good point, it also demonstrates how useless the strata council is. Most strata's will have some bylaws about leaving garbage on the floor and not using the garbage facilities to dump larger items.
We live up on SFU and at the end of every semester you see vaccums, beds, book case, drawers, and microwaves sitting outside the garbage room.
If the caretaker is on top of things, he will check the camera's and issue a warning to the unit that left the garbage. But now we have a useless caretaker so it's gotten pretty bad.
Same goes with tenants parking in visitor parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
Pretty much what Sonick said. When I was looking for my first rental in Richmond, i went to a condo where the elevator had a sign that said "please do not spit in the elevator". Afterwards, the floor i was on had a strong weed and cig smell. So imo, those are some preliminary signs that I personally would look for in a developed condo unit.
Can't really generalize like that. For one, people come and go, especially in a building that has high rentals.
So who your neighbours are now, doesn't mean it won't change in a few months.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #6210
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,226
Thanked 4,878 Times in 1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
While you make a good point, it also demonstrates how useless the strata council is. Most strata's will have some bylaws about leaving garbage on the floor and not using the garbage facilities to dump larger items.
We live up on SFU and at the end of every semester you see vaccums, beds, book case, drawers, and microwaves sitting outside the garbage room.
If the caretaker is on top of things, he will check the camera's and issue a warning to the unit that left the garbage. But now we have a useless caretaker so it's gotten pretty bad.
Same goes with tenants parking in visitor parking.
Heh, aren't we just agreeing here, that there is an advantage of being able to see the building condition and tenants vs a pre-sale?

Stratas and caretakers can go downhill for already built and pre-sale buildings just the same. You just make the decision on the best information available at the time.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #6211
this is the hardest n***a of all time
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,491
Thanked 4,442 Times in 1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
You do know that the install cost for one these outlet is really expensive right. Not to mention the maintanice fees are not cheap. I would rather they add this as an add on. if the unit owner wants to have one install they have to pay more and also pay for their own maintance fees. Some people don't see the need for them (I am one of them why add the cost my unit/starta fee when I am against it). Let those who wants one pay themselves.
no idea why you got failed, they are indeed expensive to supply/install, even if just a receptacle. the station unit themselves are very expensive.

it's not practical to install one for each unit's stall if that's what you're saying, nor is it to install an empty conduit for each stall for future. this isn't even taking in to account the building's electrical service.

if the argument is the electricity is going to be based on pay per use, then you could put a POS on it so that whomever is using it gets charged like they do in commercial areas. but i'm thinking if you go that route you need a station, not a receptacle, and that'll add a lot more in terms of cost. if there isn't already maybe there's a receptacle/POS unit/kit available that'll be a lot cheaper than a stand alone charging station.
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/611711-glow-1-0-0-a.html

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #6212
hello
 
originalhypa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: online
Posts: 18,348
Thanked 2,339 Times in 790 Posts
Really?

Quote:
$31.1-million Point Grey mansion owned by 'student'




It seems like every time you turn around there’s a new eye popping real estate story in Vancouver, and today is no different.

The latest? A $31.1 million dollar Point Grey mansion, allegedly 99% owned by a student, Tian Yu Zhou.


To get some insight on how that could be, and what it could mean we checked in with investigative reporter Kathy Tomlinson who’s been hot on the real estate beat.

Tian’s 14,600 square foot five-bedroom, eight-bathroom mansion at 4833 Belmont Ave certainly seems out of reach of a student.

But Tomlinson says after diving deep into B.C.’s land titles, she’s seen plenty of similar cases where big money properties are registered to students or home makers with little or no income.

She says there’s no ethical or legal issue with a student owning a mansion like this, assuming their parents can pay for it.

But she says the trouble comes when it’s used as a tax dodge.

“The problem comes into play when the property isn’t actually occupied by the student, and when the real owner, the beneficial owner, the parents usually, don’t claim any tax gains because of that. So they’re able to be investors in Canada, and own homes and sell them and have them as investments and not pay capital gains tax.”

On top of that, she says, there’s the issue of such a technique contributing to the city’s empty homes. She says in the course of her investigations she’s seen first hand how many of these properties are vacant.

“I had a list of addresses that were owned by students and I drove around going to those places. And several of them were completely unoccupied. Not furniture and no one home: completely empty. And so that’s where the questions come in of whether these are actual investments by parents or whomever, and that they’re being put in the name of students partially to avoid paying capital gains taxes.”


Tomlinson says the problem is worse than the city’s recent report on empty homes suggests.

She says the survey ignored homes with demolition permits pending, being demolished, or new construction.

She adds it didn’t look at winter months, and that foreign investors typically come for short periods in the summer, potentially making the houses appear occupied.


nice area though...


__________________
woot!
originalhypa is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #6213
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,160
Thanked 2,242 Times in 835 Posts
^
Ridiculous...
__________________
Do Not Put Aftershave on Your Balls. -604CEFIRO
Looks like I'm gonna have some hot sex again tonight...OOPS i got the 6 pack. that wont last me the night, I better go back and get the 24 pack! -Turbo E
kinda off topic but obama is a dilf - miss_crayon
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #6214
PM me for my nudes
 
smoothie.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,459
Thanked 3,078 Times in 801 Posts


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Too bad it isn't about flipping cars to lose money, I'm really good at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is online now  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #6215
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Dragon-88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Van/Bur
Posts: 4,580
Thanked 1,142 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no idea why you got failed, they are indeed expensive to supply/install, even if just a receptacle. the station unit themselves are very expensive.

it's not practical to install one for each unit's stall if that's what you're saying, nor is it to install an empty conduit for each stall for future. this isn't even taking in to account the building's electrical service.

if the argument is the electricity is going to be based on pay per use, then you could put a POS on it so that whomever is using it gets charged like they do in commercial areas. but i'm thinking if you go that route you need a station, not a receptacle, and that'll add a lot more in terms of cost. if there isn't already maybe there's a receptacle/POS unit/kit available that'll be a lot cheaper than a stand alone charging station.
My electrician just quoted installation for charging stations in a business park parking lot and that was about $3-4K per system, not including the cost of the system itself.. So it gets super pricey.

Side note: I learned from a Realtor friend yesterday about finding renters. He mostly posts his ads in Korean or Japanese newspapers. In most cases he looks for 1-2 year students, but apparently they are very well kept and take care of the place and actually clean up when their term is done.
__________________
Cash Rules Everything Around Me!!!
My Buy/Sell Feedback Ratings

Current
2014 Honda Grom (Toy & Shenanigans)
2009 Toyota Corolla CE (DD)

Past:
2007 Honda Ruckus (Toy)
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto (Wheelie Machine)
2001 Honda S2000 (Weekend/Track/AutoX)

Last edited by Dragon-88; 05-13-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Dragon-88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #6216
this is the hardest n***a of all time
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,491
Thanked 4,442 Times in 1,778 Posts
cheap stations (the "system") cost that much plus install...average one will run you double.
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #6217
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
604STIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,255
Thanked 481 Times in 258 Posts
My condo has 2 EV charge stations for anyone that wants to plug in, they just have to log into the station and will get charged according to how many hours they stay plugged in. Currently, I think this is probably the best and most economical method.
__________________
2000 Honda Civic
2002 Honda Accord
2005 Ford F-150 XLT
2008 Mercedes C300 - Current
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4- Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #6218
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Gululu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Shaughnessy
Posts: 564
Thanked 755 Times in 209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
You do know that the install cost for one these outlet is really expensive right. Not to mention the maintanice fees are not cheap. I would rather they add this as an add on. if the unit owner wants to have one install they have to pay more and also pay for their own maintance fees. Some people don't see the need for them (I am one of them why add the cost my unit/starta fee when I am against it). Let those who wants one pay themselves.
I think you re confused. It really doesnt cost as much to install a home wall charger as you think. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YJFHFZ0
I use this one, just your standard 30a j1772 level 2 charger. My total charging bill is less than $10 dollars per month according to my chargepoint app. That's all I pay to charge my electric vehicle per month, not to mention I can free load at places like malls and city halls.

To drive out there to my new condo, ideally i'd like to plug my ev as I go and inspect the unit but to my dismay they dont have any. My other condo has 5 charging stations but not this newer one. why
Gululu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #6219
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Traum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise, BC
Posts: 2,423
Thanked 1,761 Times in 775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Side note: I learned from a Realtor friend yesterday about finding renters. He mostly posts his ads in Korean or Japanese newspapers. In most cases he looks for 1-2 year students, but apparently they are very well kept and take care of the place and actually clean up when their term is done.
Having witnessed international students of different varieties, I refuse to believe that students from certain ethnic groups are tidier than others (but there are definitely certain groups that are worse than average). In particular, I've seen some very messy rooms from Japanese / Korean female students in my younger, wilder days.
Traum is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #6220
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,950
Thanked 1,439 Times in 726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Really?
why not the money is from the parents anyways. Is nothing new.
Mr.HappySilp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #6221
My homepage has been set to RS
 
melloman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: #604
Posts: 2,244
Thanked 2,420 Times in 799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Having witnessed international students of different varieties, I refuse to believe that students from certain ethnic groups are tidier than others (but there are definitely certain groups that are worse than average). In particular, I've seen some very messy rooms from Japanese / Korean female students in my younger, wilder days.
I can confirm that Japanese and Korean students are much cleaner than say.. Taiwanese and Hong Kong students. This comes from my family having home-stay students for about, 15 years.

Granted, the worst were the students from Switzerland and Austria Messy white people
__________________
Quote:
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #6222
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,950
Thanked 1,439 Times in 726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
I can confirm that Japanese and Korean students are much cleaner than say.. Taiwanese and Hong Kong students. This comes from my family having home-stay students for about, 15 years.

Granted, the worst were the students from Switzerland and Austria Messy white people
Lol you haven't seen International students from China yet. They can/will destroy your place if you don't check it every month.
Mr.HappySilp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #6223
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 144
Thanked 141 Times in 43 Posts
When I was condo hunting in Toronto, I couldn't even count the number of units in brand new buildings that were being rented out to mainlanders and were completely trashed.
buhdeh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #6224
hello
 
originalhypa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: online
Posts: 18,348
Thanked 2,339 Times in 790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
why not the money is from the parents anyways. Is nothing new.
It may not be new to your ancient society of corrupt dirtbags, but the last time I checked this was still North America where most business was done in an ethical manner.

So yeah, it is new. Which is why it's on the front page of every news outlet right now.
__________________
woot!
originalhypa is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #6225
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,530
Thanked 16,679 Times in 3,593 Posts
Lol business in North America is done in the most unethical manor in the world. Other countries are just joining the party.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net