REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #8051
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd say $500 a month for decent quality food is impressive, but doable. I am bound by needing to know exactly where my meat comes from which means I spend a lot on it. Eating local produce isn't cheap either, but it sure tastes better.
This brings up another point about the real estate. What are you sacrificing to be able to afford your mortgages?
If you are eating $200 of food a month, I guarantee your health is going to be one of the sacrifices.
It's possible to each healthy on $200 a day. Ferra posted a breakdown that shows that.

The worst things on his list are; peanut butter, banana, and milk. IMO.

Even then, you can do alright by looking for the brands/varieties that have the least sugar in them, peanut butter wise. Bananas and milk, I don't think vary much.

You can even out the macros by adding in supplements.

When I was in post secondary, I spent around 150-200 a month.

Best delicious junk food for cheap, frozen pizza. On sale for like 5 dollars a box. that's like 2 days worth of dinners.
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #8052
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
The western diet is way too expensive. Low food costs is one of the main factors on why South Asians are financially successful and why home ownership is so high compared to everyone else. $200 to $300 could easily feed a whole Indian family of 5 for a month.

Last edited by Manic!; 08-28-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2016, 10:01 PM   #8053
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
It's possible to each healthy on $200 a day. Ferra posted a breakdown that shows that.

The worst things on his list are; peanut butter, banana, and milk. IMO.

Even then, you can do alright by looking for the brands/varieties that have the least sugar in them, peanut butter wise. Bananas and milk, I don't think vary much.

You can even out the macros by adding in supplements.

When I was in post secondary, I spent around 150-200 a month.

Best delicious junk food for cheap, frozen pizza. On sale for like 5 dollars a box. that's like 2 days worth of dinners.
wtf all natural peanut butter, banana and milk are all good stuffs
i bet that list is healthier than 95% of what most people eat (0 added sugar and minimal salt)
I'd say the only bad thing is the canned tuna...
I actually kinda ate mostly those stuffs for about a year (swapped the canned tuna for chicken breast, and of course different variety of veggie/fruit, pasta instead of rice..etc)
Not for cost reason, just wanted to eat clean and healthy...it is a bit of a depressing diet tho lol

Monthly grocery was around $200-300 a month for myself. (+eat out 3-4 times a month with friends and family)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #8054
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Not sure if posted, but saw this on a friend's feed

Low oil prices and real estate market are worries in Canada - Business Insider
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:53 PM   #8055
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Jesus $200 on food per month? What are you eating? Mr Noodles twice a day?
If I were to eat at home 2 times a day every day I'd still end up spending 800 dollars a month on food for the 2 of us at the cheapest, but I do like to eat food with nutritional value.
It's not that bad really, you just have to put an effort into trying/planning vs buying whatever you feel like cooking/eating any given day. On $300 for the 2 of us, we shop a lot at asian grocery stores. When certain meats are on sale, stock up and into the freezer. We rarely buy meat or produce at full price. Rice is cheap, $30 for a huge sack that would last us 4-6 months; pasta doesn't cost much more. When we make dinner we always make enough for both our lunches the following day

Nowadays with a toddler and a baby, time is at a premium so we aren't and to deal hunt the same way nor spend as much time cooking and planning meals. But we also don't go out as often either just due to practicality with the kids, and we also have space for a big upright freezer which allows us to hoard cheap meat and ice cream even more effectively. We're around $450-500/mth now for our total food budget, that's for family of 4. I'm sure that will rise some once the baby eats real food too

We've actually become looser while eating out now since we don't go out nearly as often, and also settled into our house and not penny pinching for our next move so disposable income is actually better for us now vs when we were saving aggressively.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #8056
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
It's possible to each healthy on $200 a day.
I sure hope it is

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:51 AM   #8057
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
What do you think is going to happen to the Vancouver real estate market when Donald Trump becomes the US President?

Probably nothing??
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:44 AM   #8058
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
It's not that bad really, you just have to put an effort into trying/planning vs buying whatever you feel like cooking/eating any given day. On $300 for the 2 of us, we shop a lot at asian grocery stores. When certain meats are on sale, stock up and into the freezer. We rarely buy meat or produce at full price. Rice is cheap, $30 for a huge sack that would last us 4-6 months; pasta doesn't cost much more. When we make dinner we always make enough for both our lunches the following day

Nowadays with a toddler and a baby, time is at a premium so we aren't and to deal hunt the same way nor spend as much time cooking and planning meals. But we also don't go out as often either just due to practicality with the kids, and we also have space for a big upright freezer which allows us to hoard cheap meat and ice cream even more effectively. We're around $450-500/mth now for our total food budget, that's for family of 4. I'm sure that will rise some once the baby eats real food too

We've actually become looser while eating out now since we don't go out nearly as often, and also settled into our house and not penny pinching for our next move so disposable income is actually better for us now vs when we were saving aggressively.
That's really reasonable if you can do it. We're a family of 3, I also try and make enough for leftovers for lunches and we spend anywhere from $1,000 to $1,200 a month on just groceries. That doesn't include any eating out which we don't spend much on. My son is growing and eats as much if not more then I do. I don't do frozen meats so that probably hurts the budget, meat is bought as we eat it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:13 AM   #8059
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
200 OR less what in the hell
Is simple you buy what's on sale (doesn't matter if you don't like it if it is on sale you get it). Some supermarkets even start selling ugly looking fruits/veggies cheaper than the good looking ones(get those they same exact the same.). Buy in Bulk like Costco bread is a lot cheaper to buy them bulk, put them in the freezer. No name brand Vs name brand is the same thing so again pick the cheaper one. Is also cheaper to cook the same thing in bulk (used to have a co-worker who eat the same thing for lunch 5 days a week coz he cook the same thing once and protion them into 5 different meals.) yea it sucks but save money.

And that's only for food cost/doesn't include other stuff.
BTW I can't drink milk and most of the stuff I ate are really filling like rice and brown bread. I am really the type to eat little things.

EDIT. I have seen customer who I deal with have $200 to $300 bills in cable and internet each month. When they got cut off for payment issue a lot of claim they either lost their job, didn't have enough money to pay. When i suggested them maybe after they pay the bill off they should downgrade their service. 95% of them refuse to that is like "OMG NO I need to watch movies, I need GoT etc etc...." dude when you have no money and out of a job the last thing you need is $300 bill just for cable and internet or going to Starbucks. The life of DT. Rather be dirt poor and have account sent to collections and ruin your own credit and keep on spending like the sky rains money..........

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 08-29-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #8060

$200/ month for groceries is quite do-able. When I lived on my own that was my monthly grocery bill give or take $50. Like some has said, buy stuff on sale and stock up on discounted meat (freeze right away and it's always fine) or buy bulk like most say. Learn to break down big pieces of meat vs precut to help save costs. If one has to have ribs/steak/lobster every night then yes grocery bill does get up there. However my basis on grocery budgeting is really from my upbringing and has nothing to do with mortgage affordability. Now with my gf living with me and having a new dog I'd say our monthly bill is maybe low $300.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #8061
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Here's the thing about Vancouver - there are places where you can buy cheap produce, but they're typically ethnic markets in neighbourhoods where rent is still cheap, like pockets of East Van, Burnaby, or in Surrey. These markets buy produce that is B-grade and sell it for 10-20% less than the major grocers. While you can save money by going to these shops, you have to know where they are, have to be comfortable picking out the few good pieces from the utter crap, and you have to be comfortable paying cash (no points for your fancy, schmancy credit cards). Unless you live in East Van or in other communities where these grocers are located, you most likely need to drive to get to them which can negate any savings (since you actually have to spend your gas and time to go to these places).

Another reason why immigrants tend to have lower foods costs than Anglo-Canadians is that immigrants eat everything from animals. Tendon, stomach linings, and other lesser cuts and body parts are a typical part of the diet of people from East Asia. Ironically, a restaurant like Wildebeast has made a killing selling to hipsters and yuppies what Asians have done for years.

To bring this tangent back to the tread... the problem I see with all these new transit oriented communities is that while they're designed to minimize the use of the car, what you end up getting is only the most expensive grocers who are able to afford the rents in new retail sites. Less square footage and more expensive stores for your daily needs. It seems like the only businesses who can afford rent in new street level retail are hair salons, dentists, or Starbucks.

Last edited by Tapioca; 08-29-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #8062
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Is simple you buy what's on sale (doesn't matter if you don't like it if it is on sale you get it). Some supermarkets even start selling ugly looking fruits/veggies cheaper than the good looking ones(get those they same exact the same.). Buy in Bulk like Costco bread is a lot cheaper to buy them bulk, put them in the freezer. No name brand Vs name brand is the same thing so again pick the cheaper one. Is also cheaper to cook the same thing in bulk (used to have a co-worker who eat the same thing for lunch 5 days a week coz he cook the same thing once and protion them into 5 different meals.) yea it sucks but save money.

And that's only for food cost/doesn't include other stuff.
BTW I can't drink milk and most of the stuff I ate are really filling like rice and brown bread. I am really the type to eat little things.

EDIT. I have seen customer who I deal with have $200 to $300 bills in cable and internet each month. When they got cut off for payment issue a lot of claim they either lost their job, didn't have enough money to pay. When i suggested them maybe after they pay the bill off they should downgrade their service. 95% of them refuse to that is like "OMG NO I need to watch movies, I need GoT etc etc...." dude when you have no money and out of a job the last thing you need is $300 bill just for cable and internet or going to Starbucks. The life of DT. Rather be dirt poor and have account sent to collections and ruin your own credit and keep on spending like the sky rains money..........
As much as I hate saying this (I don't have cable, haven't for 10 years). Cable TV can save people money. The North American can sit their ass in front of a TV and days go by without moving. When I leave the house I spend money. But I know what your saying as well. Discipline.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #8063
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Not sure if posted, but saw this on a friend's feed

Low oil prices and real estate market are worries in Canada - Business Insider
I don't know how many times I've heard that the market will come down, the bubble will burst, we are all doomed, etc, etc. But I do agree that if there was a housing crash, it will definitely be slow and painful and not drastic and sudden like in the US. It will be impossible to time
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #8064
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Here's the thing about Vancouver - there are places where you can buy cheap produce, but they're typically ethnic markets in neighbourhoods where rent is still cheap, like pockets of East Van, Burnaby, or in Surrey. These markets buy produce that is B-grade and sell it for 10-20% less than the major grocers. While you can save money by going to these shops, you have to know where they are, have to be comfortable picking out the few good pieces from the utter crap, and you have to be comfortable paying cash (no points for your fancy, schmancy credit cards). Unless you live in East Van or in other communities where these grocers are located, you most likely need to drive to get to them which can negate any savings (since you actually have to spend your gas and time to go to these places).

Another reason why immigrants tend to have lower foods costs than Anglo-Canadians is that immigrants eat everything from animals. Tendon, stomach linings, and other lesser cuts and body parts are a typical part of the diet of people from East Asia. Ironically, a restaurant like Wildebeast has made a killing selling to hipsters and yuppies what Asians have done for years.

To bring this tangent back to the tread... the problem I see with all these new transit oriented communities is that while they're designed to minimize the use of the car, what you end up getting is only the most expensive grocers who are able to afford the rents in new retail sites. Less square footage and more expensive stores for your daily needs. It seems like the only businesses who can afford rent in new street level retail are hair salons, dentists, or Starbucks.
These businesses exist all over neighborhoods as well, I know of atleast 5 on the north shore alone. Including one in West van. Many of them are run by iranians, so white people might not know as much about it, but they are awesome family run businesses, they don't have the overhead of a store like superstore.

And the produce isn't B-Grade, many times it can be better than superstore if you spend an extra 10 seconds to pick nice apples instead of just blindly shoving 5 in a bag.

The people in here who say they spend 1000+ on their families (4 people) in groceries, if you are trying to be frugal, you are doing it all wrong.

Don't buy name brand shit, that will cut down 30% right away, grab the no-name brand chips instead of the lays. I actually prefer the presidents choice version of nutella over actual nutella. It also helps that it's like 3 bucks cheaper.

I'm not going to tell you what to eat because people are sensitive about that, I will say though that if you're having steaks a few times a week, then you aren't trying to save money.

This generation constantly uses the excuse that food is a requisite to live and therefore the cost doesn't matter. That's crap. There are plenty of foods that you can live off of healthy and they hardly cost anything. I had a buddy who didn't give a fuck what the cost of something was, he only cared about his gains, he ate brocolli, chicken breast and rice for lunch and dinner every day. You know how cheap his immensely clean diet was? And he wasn't trying to be cheap, he was just eating the cleanest food to aide his bulk.

If you choose organic, and "knowing where my meat comes from", then that's your choice, but that's not an average cost to bear. You made that decision, you decided "hey I rather know that my pig was allowed to frolic in the fields before it was brutally slaughtered." instead of going to the movies, or buying that new car part I wanted, or saving that extra 200 a month so I can buy my dream house 5 years sooner.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #8065
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
And the produce isn't B-Grade, many times it can be better than superstore if you spend an extra 10 seconds to pick nice apples instead of just blindly shoving 5 in a bag.
Both of you guys are talking about the same type of stores.
Both sell A and B grade items.
It all depends on the item and the time of the week/month.

But yes, these family run stores will be cheaper than the big box or Kins/Langley farm type stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #8066
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
i'd definitely like to challenge the notion that you have to spend like $500 a month on groceries to eat 'good'. i eat pretty healthy and enjoy my meals and i'm not spending anything close to that. sure i'm not eating $30/lb meat several times a week (i don't eat much meat in general), but i eat a lot of 'real' food and i prepare it nutritiously.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #8067
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Shop where the Indians shop: Welcome To Fruiticana - Fruiticana he jaaana

If your looking for spices in s place like Superstore head to the Indian food section. Spices like black pepper will be way cheaper than the regular spice isle.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #8068
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
As much as I hate saying this (I don't have cable, haven't for 10 years). Cable TV can save people money. The North American can sit their ass in front of a TV and days go by without moving. When I leave the house I spend money. But I know what your saying as well. Discipline.
But you can do the same thing with YouTube.

Other than live sports, there's no reason to have cable. What can't you stream now?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #8069
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Shop where the Indians shop: Welcome To Fruiticana - Fruiticana he jaaana

If your looking for spices in s place like Superstore head to the Indian food section. Spices like black pepper will be way cheaper than the regular spice isle.
I've only attempted twice but the Fruiticana near my house has terrible produce, looked worse then the wilted shit in the bottom of my crisper that I forgot about for 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe I'm just a food snob? Lol I don't know, we mostly shop at Superstore for the isles, Butcher for meat and I'll go to a Fruit stand for our fruits and vegetables like Two EE's.

For the record I'm not really complaining about my grocery budget, I buy whatever I want to eat because I can. I'm all for saving some money here or there but at the end of the day I'll eat what I want to eat whatever it costs.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #8070

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
hey guys, was wondering how much is a 2br basement suite in east van around these days? Years back, single was like 600 or 800 and double was like 1200.

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #8071
I subscribe to Revscene

i'd say a 2br in my area (joyce/29th) could fetch 1.2-1.5k relatively easily (utils, cable, laundry access included).

a friend just rented a basement studio out for 1k, and apparently there was a ton of interest.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #8072
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
hey guys, was wondering how much is a 2br basement suite in east van around these days? Years back, single was like 600 or 800 and double was like 1200.
We rented our basement suite for $900 it was the price we rented it for the past 7 to 8 years? We got a good family renting so we rather not raise the price.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #8073
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
Our neighbor rents his 2br 1 bath for 1500 a month and it's kind of a dump.

Most open houses I've been to which have a suite are typically a minimum of $1000 for a 1br
Old 08-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #8074
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Our neighbor rents his 2br 1 bath for 1500 a month and it's kind of a dump.

Most open houses I've been to which have a suite are typically a minimum of $1000 for a 1br
Seriously? $1000 for a 1br basement suite?
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:28 PM   #8075
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
This is insane.
I was in Kamloops last week, and found my dream subdivision house for $600k. Brand new executive home in a great neighbourhood. Across from the bike ranch mountain bike park, an ice rink, and both a dirt, and concrete RC car track.

For that kind of money, I could sell my Langley house and buy the one I mentioned, and another, slightly older house with a dock right on the river. Or a house in Vernon, Kelowna, etc. It's insane just how bad our real estate market has become in the lower mainland.

For the record, the most expensive house in Kamloops is $3.14 million, and it's spectacular.

That one is a little out of my range, but for a million bucks you can get a really nice place.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: