REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #8101
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
^yeah, but you live in Kamloops..
I don't know who you were addressing this to, but I'll assume it's me since I posted the Kamloops property.

Vancouver is done. It is no longer the city that I grew up in and around. It's become nothing more than a haven for foreign money. The mountains are full of selfie taking hipsters, while every service and opportunity we have is oversaturated. The rinks are always full. You can't ride the seawall without hitting a homeless addict, or a confused tourist. But worst of all, you can't afford to raise a family or live like we used to. I was fortunate to grow up on a nice property in a nice area. Whereas my kids have friends who live in high density, where crime and drug use are rampant.

When I went to Kamloops I was met with open spaces, polite people, and a great climate. I am an outdoorsman. I like to ride bikes, I like to shoot guns, and I like to have the freedom and space to enjoy these things. You can no longer do any of my passions in the lower mainland without running into trouble.

So consider that anyone who doesn't subscribe to the "lifestyle" of Vancouver living just doesn't feel at home here anymore.

I don't look like this.

So I'm completely fine with going to a place where I can fit in.
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #8102
God of Unce

Are there any other websites I should know for rentals?

The only one I use is Craigslist and sometimes Padmapper.
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #8103
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
You won't be getting entire houses for that money in Richmond or Metrotown. You will get them in Coquitlam or south of the Fraser.

vancouver, BC apts/housing for rent - craigslist

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to rent a house unless you have 3+ kids. Sure, it makes sense financially to rent the house rather than to own it, but I think what we're seeing in the market is that a lot of families would still rather buy a 1700-2000 square foot townhouse rather than a detached house because given low interest rates, you could own a townhouse at $2500/month and at least continue to build equity rather than paying $2500/month for a house that you probably don't need. Opportunity costs, blah, blah, blah notwithstanding.
Yeah, I figured as much and his few examples is just further proof.
So $1500 to rent a 1 br condo beside a sky train station vs paying $2500 to rent a house in south Richmond.

If I was a single, I would rent near Joyce and look for a female room mate.
Sell the car and take transit everywhere.

Renting a whole house may seem like fun, but looking for 3 room mates and taking the finanical risk is quite a lot.
Any of those cheaper houses/TH's means I would have to have a car or be willing to spend extra time waiting for the bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #8104
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
I'm into the outdoors, hunted and fished all my life, family has a cabin 25 minutes this side of kamloops

Outside of having a large family I could no longer support in vancouver, you'd never see me living in kamloops, try to demean Van all you want, for the most part kamloops is a fucking dump and I've spent enough time there to form a relatively informed opinion

Also imo the prices in kamloops are not infinitely better than the lower mainland for what you get imo. I'm sure there is a sweet spot like you've outlined hypa at that 1.2+ but on that lower end scale, from 200-600k you might be getting more "bang for your buck" but with massive trade offs.

The nicer areas that are more family oriented are all up in the hills there, and those vinyl boxes and 10-15 year old townhomes/duplexes are still 400-700k

Not to mention every other place is seemingly out of work rig pig with a jacked up F350 with a welder in the back or two boats overflowing from the tiny side yard.

There is a tonne around Langley 232nd to 264th for 1.1-1.6 which are insanely nice properties. A good family friend of ours just sold his place near tall timbers golf course, 5600 sq feet 14 room house on 2 acres all renovated for 1.5. Private neighborhood, backing onto a forest, etc

Similar properties in "nice" neighborhoods don't exist in kamloops as far as I've seen.

It's either sparce acerage, or dense development. Not much in between for older nicely established neighborhoods.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 08-30-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #8105
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,276 Times in 1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I don't know who you were addressing this to, but I'll assume it's me since I posted the Kamloops property.

Vancouver is done. It is no longer the city that I grew up in and around. It's become nothing more than a haven for foreign money. The mountains are full of selfie taking hipsters, while every service and opportunity we have is oversaturated. The rinks are always full. You can't ride the seawall without hitting a homeless addict, or a confused tourist. But worst of all, you can't afford to raise a family or live like we used to. I was fortunate to grow up on a nice property in a nice area. Whereas my kids have friends who live in high density, where crime and drug use are rampant.

When I went to Kamloops I was met with open spaces, polite people, and a great climate. I am an outdoorsman. I like to ride bikes, I like to shoot guns, and I like to have the freedom and space to enjoy these things. You can no longer do any of my passions in the lower mainland without running into trouble.

So consider that anyone who doesn't subscribe to the "lifestyle" of Vancouver living just doesn't feel at home here anymore.
I lived in Kamloops for 5 months this year (I'm back now). I agree with everything you said. In the past, Kamloops used to be my 'pitstop' city on my way to Kelowna or to Revelstoke etc. but after immersing myself in the culture (yes, culture) over there, I could see myself fitting in. I was very tempted to move. Don't let the surroundings fool you. People always complain there's nothing to do in cities like that but it really depends on what you value. Personally I value space which the GVRD doesn't offer me especially now with density shooting through the roof.

Funny enough, I get bored in Vancouver much faster than I did in Kamloops. Why? Because 90% of activities around here cost more $$$ and the experience is barely worth it.

But if rich foreigners will pay, then all the other slobs should pay the same!

People in Kamloops flock to the hardware stores because they love building things. Why not? Pay for materials and DIY. Seems like a great alternative to spending $40 at a hip cafe surrounded by talking tanned mannequins as they discuss the best wheat free diet they should integrate into their active lifestyle between working at Hootsuite and posting sunset reviews on their wordpress page.

I'm old and like to rant about this. People always call this a world class city but where is it? Please show me?

Want to stay in Vancouver for $60 a night? How about in a van? - British Columbia - CBC News

I mean look at this shit ^

I guess we can all this city

Van City!
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #8106
God of Unce

^ Saw that post on craigslist...
Old 08-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #8107
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
I don't look like this.

So I'm completely fine with going to a place where I can fit in.
i had you pegged for this guy

just kidding i know that's armind

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #8108
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Outside of having a large family I could no longer support in vancouver, you'd never see me living in kamloops, try to demean Van all you want, for the most part kamloops is a fucking dump and I've spent enough time there to form a relatively informed opinion
My friend works for Telus up in Kamloops and has been there for about 5 years now. He loves it there. The weather is great, and while he is having a tough time breaking into the "born in Loops" crowd, he has made a few friends. Mainly transplants from the Lower Mainland, or Alberta.

I get what you say though. My dad scoffed when I told him about my love of the town. He remembers it as a smelly Lafarge town full of drunks and lowlifes. Same goes for Squamish. But gentrification can be a wonderful thing.

I really like the Juniper area. Census states that the average family income there is $171k/year, and the area consists of Medical professionals, management types, and third is construction/labor.

Staying with my buddy in westside, I could see that the area was a little rough. But shit man, it's still ten times better than Whalley, Maple Ridge/Haney, Chilliwack, and twenty other places I could name within an hour drive. We went to see SNFU at CJ's nightclub and had a great time.

I may have rose colored glasses, but I made friends right away with the dudes at the Bike Ranch. I didn't see the meth, heroin and crime issues that we see in Willoughby or Cloverdale.

I see where you're coming from though. We had a hard time finding good service while we were there. It seems like 90% of the folks under the age of 20 had nothing going for them, and absolutely no drive. Is that a Kamloops thing? Or simply typical of the millenial generation? You're always going to get the bro dawg douchebags. But in a town of 70k folks, you're going to have fewer of those than we do in Surrey where the population is 12 times that of Loops. At least it's not as bad as Kelowna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
I lived in Kamloops for 5 months this year (I'm back now). I agree with everything you said. In the past, Kamloops used to be my 'pitstop' city on my way to Kelowna or to Revelstoke etc. but after immersing myself in the culture (yes, culture) over there, I could see myself fitting in. I was very tempted to move. Don't let the surroundings fool you. People always complain there's nothing to do in cities like that but it really depends on what you value. Personally I value space which the GVRD doesn't offer me especially now with density shooting through the roof.
I totally agree with you man.
I'd rather hike up a mountain and spend a week cutting a trail into it, then hang out at a tapas bar in Vancouver. I'd rather have a beer with my hockey buddies after a hard fought game than take selfies at the pier.

Maybe I'm more like the rig pigs?
I have a dirtbike, and a rzr. But I don't dip the chew.

I think what made my stay so awesome was that I was with my single buddy and had no wife and kids with me. Maybe it wasn't so much the Kamloops lifestyle, but the bachelor lifestyle that I craved?

I'm heading there again thursday with my son for a few days. I'm pretty sure he is going to love it. Although I won't make a move until the kids graduate. We're still about 6-7 years away from that. But it doesn't mean that I couldn't buy a place in Juniper and rent it out for that time.

Want to rent out my Kamloops basement suite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #8109
God of Unce

You know nothing, John Glow.

Quote:

Old 08-30-2016, 03:33 PM   #8110
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
You had me at snfu, but lost me when you said you don't dip. I get the desire to pick up and head elsewhere, but I think you and gs8 are just as far on the spectrum about why Van sucks, at least in the tone of your posts, as the people who believe there is no better place in the universe.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #8111
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
What hypa said.

The gf is out in Vernon right now and I've been heading out there a few times a month. We have seriously been considering moving out there. In part due to real estate, and the other for lifestyle. For us anyway, the smaller town, interior life suits us much more than in Vancouver.

Couple that with being able to get a house overlooking the lake for 700k, it's pretty damn tempting.

Throw a set of studded snows on the 911, already have the rack, the 20 min. drive up Silverstar is gonna be epic.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #8112
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:

Nah, lemme show you what hypa looks like

Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #8113
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
If I wasn't tied to an office in Vancouver, I would move to the Sunshine Coast. Return ferry for those needed trips to the city, but a slower pace of life and reasonable prices for land. You get the same climate as Metro Vancouver. Lots of young families are moving there.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #8114
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I'd strongly consider the Sunshine Coast as well but would likely have to take a 50% pay cut to remain in my industry.. good friend of mine moved there from White Rock 2 days ago, in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #8115

Quote:
I'd strongly consider the Sunshine Coast as well but would likely have to take a 50% pay cut to remain in my industry.. good friend of mine moved there from White Rock 2 days ago, in fact.
My wife and I stayed at a coach house owned by a young family we found on AirBnB last summer. They ran a print shop out of the lower level of the coach house. They had another workshop on their lot for vintage car storage in addition to their house.

I think legal bed and breakfasts on the Sunshine Coast are now selling close to a million now, but if you have a large enough lot, I doubt using your workshop as an AirBnB is bound to annoy the neighbours much unlike in Vancouver.

This family has it made - large lot, home based business, and AirBnB income.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #8116
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Want to stay in Vancouver for $60 a night? How about in a van? - British Columbia - CBC News

I mean look at this shit ^

I guess we can all this city

Van City!
i think there's someone on RS looking for cheapest room rental by the hour to take his gf, someone can send him this

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #8117
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
I get what you say though. My dad scoffed when I told him about my love of the town. He remembers it as a smelly Lafarge town full of drunks and lowlifes. Same goes for Squamish. But gentrification can be a wonderful thing.
It's almost too late for Squamish. Prices have gone up a tonne, and they have started developing the place like crazy. I know it's still good for those who have been living there for 20 years to finally have a Walmart and Boston pizza lol. But gvrd people have gotten desperate and moved out farther and farther.

I'd move there tomorrow if I was more willing to deal with trying to get to north van/downtown just to get to Richmond where all my friends/family is
Old 08-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #8118
SiRVs up, dude

Nothing against the loops', but I find Kelowna much nicer i.m.o! Been in Kelowna for a year now and I love it.

Property is cheap, beautiful lake-view properties for $1 million or less. LOT more 'implant' people from all over lots of YVR + Toronto people. And yes, I also find the 'culture' here much better also, everyone is much more friendly, and strangers willing to talk to you for no reason at all. I was never friends with any of the people I went to the gym with in Vancouver, but now, I know most of the trainers/regulars by name now (no I don't pay for training).

I gotta say, weather in the interior is much nicer than Vancouver too.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...olumbia-V1W5B4
Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #8119
GS8

Thanked 7,276 Times in 1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You had me at snfu, but lost me when you said you don't dip. I get the desire to pick up and head elsewhere, but I think you and gs8 are just as far on the spectrum about why Van sucks, at least in the tone of your posts, as the people who believe there is no better place in the universe.
I guess for me, personally, based on my history and my family's history, I just don't see the Vancouver I used to see. I mean it's there in small pockets, namely some small communities in and around East Van.

I have no issues with cities evolving but I personally would like to see the MAJORITY of people benefiting from those changes. Instead I see class discrimination as a result from the housing market. I see inept infrastructure maintenance thanks to companies like Translink. I see commercial rent is now the fourth highest on the continent which doesn't help an entrepreneurial market. I love mom and pop shops but how many companies can't get off the ground because of high rent? And now high rent is migrating to housing. So we've gone from housing bid-offs to now rental housing bid-offs. Better get in there before it becomes an Air BnB.

I guess I miss Vancouver when it had a mid-size population. Granted this city could become world class in another 15 years but I feel like the governments (namely municipal and provincial) have all been exposed for only caring about lining their pockets with dirty developer money. Expo '86 and 2010 Olympics only made the city as a world class beacon for rich laundering fucks to bring their shit into another country with zero plans to integrate to said country.

Hmm, maybe I just hate everything?
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #8120

As others have said, Vancouver is a city in transition. It's natural that people will resist or resent change, particularly if that change involves people and culture that is different than the same they grew up with.

As I've said a few times in this thread, many parts of East Van in the 1970s and 1980s were considered to be ghettos by those living on the West Side. This is reflected in the housing (vinyl-siding, tar roofed Vancouver specials with 2 full suites) and the types of businesses that used to be on the main streets. However, whatever real down-to-earth charm that East Van had has been lost to trust-fund kids, who have taken over neighbourhoods previously home to ethnic communities such as South Asians (Main and 49th), Vietnamese and Chinese (Kingsway and Main), Italians and Portuguese (Hastings-Sunrise) and Filipinos (Fraser). The city I grew up is no longer the same and never will be, no matter how much people bitch about Gregor, the NIMBYs, foreign money, etc.

At the end of the day, people will do what's best for themselves and their loved ones. If that means leaving the region for quieter and greener pastures somewhere else, so be it. The thing is that neither the region nor your neighbours will really care much if you do. Metro Vancouver will continue to steamroll along.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 05:20 AM   #8121
UFO

That's a great point hypa. Many have Vancouver isn't a world class city, it's not THAT nice, can't compare to the other world class cities in the world. I've always said that change doesn't just occur overnight, and I believe that Vancouver with all it used to and does offer is well on its way to becoming that world class city. I think what many of us 'locals' are feeling is the growing pains associated with that process, and obviously our kids won't be able to grow up and enjoy the same life that we had.

Unfortunately we just can't have our cake and eat it too.

Ps: some amazing biking out in the tricities. You can run into 1 or 2 other riders maybe on some amazingly built and maintained trails
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 06:39 AM   #8122
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Spoiler!
I agree with most of what you say here to be honest.
Since crossing the bridge I've had a bit of change in perspective however. Fuck these rich people with no manners. Fuck these greedy flippers. Fuck the (provincial)liberal cunts. Fuck the greedy landlords that are renovicting tenants for short term air BandB money.
The sooner you accept you are always surrounded by pieces of shit where ever you go, you can focus on what isn't shit. Go sit at the beach for a sunset or walk up the side of a mountain with a good friend. It puts things in perspective about how nice it is here. Not to say there aren't other places you can do it, but don't believe they will be exempt from the assholes that make Vancouver suck, because it's a systematic problem with greedy people and capitalism. It's everywhere for the most part.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 07:18 AM   #8123

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
That's a great point hypa. Many have Vancouver isn't a world class city, it's not THAT nice, can't compare to the other world class cities in the world. I've always said that change doesn't just occur overnight, and I believe that Vancouver with all it used to and does offer is well on its way to becoming that world class city. I think what many of us 'locals' are feeling is the growing pains associated with that process, and obviously our kids won't be able to grow up and enjoy the same life that we had.

Unfortunately we just can't have our cake and eat it too.

Ps: some amazing biking out in the tricities. You can run into 1 or 2 other riders maybe on some amazingly built and maintained trails

Ironically, the millennials who are championing disruptive businesses such as Uber and AirBnB are the most stubborn when it comes to change in the dynamics of the city.

Bert Flynn Park is a gem that no one in Vancouver knows about. It would be a pity if David Avenue gets built through it.

If you want to be surrounded by professionals and want your kids to go to good schools, there are neighbourhoods in the Tri-Cities where the average income is 150K+. If I was in the market for a house in East Van, these are the areas I would cross shop.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 AM   #8124
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Nah, lemme show you what hypa looks like

Spoiler!
Hypa is more brown.

#brownlivesmatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 09:37 AM   #8125
I am Hook'd on RS

imo even today you don't really need a million to live around here.
no offense to the #donthaveamillion guys or their supporters

say if you look at the real estate market, and I'm just giving ideas out there.
Tsawwassen I'm sure many of you had taken the ferry over to Victoria to see the rose garden or parliament building

many people have the assumption only rich people lives around there because of the water front nice beach walk near the terminal but the price of real estate there is as matter of fact quite decent

203-1250 55 Street, Delta, BC, Apt/Condo For Sale | REW.ca

89-1400 164 Street, Surrey, BC, House For Sale | REW.ca

and then there's the 55+ houses over in Surrey some have over 3000 sq feet of land and that's a very good option too

peace
sakuma drops is offline   Reply With Quote