REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #8776
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
My wife and I are starting to think about moving back to Vancouver. Currently just renting in TO.

We found an apartment listing that suites our needs, 2 bedroom (+ small office space) 1 bath, balcony for close to $500k. It's also really close to our family and friends. It's in a mid 90s building and was renovated and looks a lot like most modern apartments today.

Never thought I'd consider buying an apartment at this price but it seems perfect for us and would still be a decent size for when we have a kid.

Would it be much harder to close on a house while we are in TO? We're gonna be back for Christmas but doubt this would still be there.
Advertisement
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #8777

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Three harbour green PH listed at 58 mill:

3101 277 THURLOW STREET - For Sale | Blu Realty - Unique Property Marketing - Vancouver Real Estate

Looks like buddys from Dragons Den/Boston pizza?

unless the prestige of 3HG is just that crazy, the northwest PH of Trump has to go for at least this if not more, it's view is wayyyyy crazier and as big if not bigger
I love the ad.

Dryr - Check
Fridg - Check
Stve - Check

It's 58 million dollars, Fucking Micheal Caine better be waiting on me hand and foot...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #8778

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
My wife and I are starting to think about moving back to Vancouver. Currently just renting in TO.

We found an apartment listing that suites our needs, 2 bedroom (+ small office space) 1 bath, balcony for close to $500k. It's also really close to our family and friends. It's in a mid 90s building and was renovated and looks a lot like most modern apartments today.

Never thought I'd consider buying an apartment at this price but it seems perfect for us and would still be a decent size for when we have a kid.

Would it be much harder to close on a house while we are in TO? We're gonna be back for Christmas but doubt this would still be there.
Is it a wood frame building? You might want to see if the building has been rainscreened.

You could probably buy the apartment sight unseen and work with a mortgage broker to secure your financing from Toronto, but the question is would you want to? Pictures don't tell the whole story.

Something that might work in your favour is that most 2-bedroom units now have 2-bathrooms and that is something the majority of buyers now want. This unit could sit longer on the market because of that.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #8779
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I love the ad.

Dryr - Check
Fridg - Check
Stve - Check

It's 58 million dollars, Fucking Micheal Caine better be waiting on me hand and foot...
such a small looking place for 59 million dollars compared what you could get in Hollywood.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #8780
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
such a small looking place for 59 million dollars compared what you could get in Hollywood.
no view and your share of smog all day is the trade off
Old 11-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #8781
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Might be buying a 2 bedroom to add to my investments...
Good pricing. If only there was a sky train that ran there, I'd invest. Im putting a down at the city of lougheed
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #8782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Is it a wood frame building? You might want to see if the building has been rainscreened.

You could probably buy the apartment sight unseen and work with a mortgage broker to secure your financing from Toronto, but the question is would you want to? Pictures don't tell the whole story.

Something that might work in your favour is that most 2-bedroom units now have 2-bathrooms and that is something the majority of buyers now want. This unit could sit longer on the market because of that.
Yea I don't think I'd want to, we are going to try and see if the inlaws can book a viewing with the realtor to check it out for us.

I just realized it's in the same building that a childhood friend of mine has lived in, I'm going to check with him and see if his family knows what's been done and how the building is from their perspective.

It's been on the market for a little over 2 weeks now so maybe everyone is looking for the 2bed/bath. We don't mind if it's only 1 bath.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #8783
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post

Have an inspector who can check the building for you. Last thing you want is to buy it and a few months later everyone needs to chip in thousands for a leaking roof/etc.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #8784
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,151 Times in 7,150 Posts
Quote:
I love the ad.

Dryr - Check
Fridg - Check
Stve - Check

That appears to literally be the worst deal in the history of real estate. What sets that shit away from the 15 or even 10 million dollar PH's?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #8785

8000+ sq ft
Three harbour green

About it seemingly.

Thought the Shangrila PH went for like 28 within the last few years so it does seem quite high
Old 11-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #8786

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I wonder what it went for brand new
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #8787

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I wonder what it went for brand new
I dont know about brand new.

But it's valued at 22 ish million.

And sold for almost 18 million in 2014.

All in all 58 million is a bit of a stretch (Or you know about 30 million worth of a stretch).

E-value:

https://evaluebc.bcassessment.ca/Pro...AwMDBGUzFGQg==

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #8788

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Maybe 58 mil includes the 15% foreign tax..

boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #8789
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Have an inspector who can check the building for you. Last thing you want is to buy it and a few months later everyone needs to chip in thousands for a leaking roof/etc.
Skip the home inspector if you are looking at a condo. All they will do is check to see if the electrical plugs work, fans work, and if the doors work.
They won't cut open the walls to check for issues that you see on Holmes on Homes.
The strata will not give them access to the roof or access outside to check the caulking around the windows.

As a potential buyer, ask your realtor to get access to the building's depreciation report. Since it is now the rainy season, any issues in the unit will be show up. Look for water around the base of the windows. See if the drywall is soft or moist and if there is any pooling water on the window ledge.

Not to mention, home inspectors are not insured so even if they claim the condo is fine and a few months down the road, something happens, the owner is still on the hook for all costs of repairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #8790

home inspectors are a joke for the most part. especially in a condo where they won't have access to all the major systems
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #8791

Thanks for the info everyone. The in-laws went to the open house this weekend and said the unit itself was nice and would be the perfect size for my wife and I. They know what we like and have seen our current place in TO. That said, their reservations were with the building itself. Like everyone said, since it's old, the future repairs might end up being problematic.

Also going to be taking it a little slower and see if there are any developments that interest us when we visit during Christmas season.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #8792

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Skip the home inspector if you are looking at a condo. All they will do is check to see if the electrical plugs work, fans work, and if the doors work.
They won't cut open the walls to check for issues that you see on Holmes on Homes.
The strata will not give them access to the roof or access outside to check the caulking around the windows.

As a potential buyer, ask your realtor to get access to the building's depreciation report. Since it is now the rainy season, any issues in the unit will be show up. Look for water around the base of the windows. See if the drywall is soft or moist and if there is any pooling water on the window ledge.

Not to mention, home inspectors are not insured so even if they claim the condo is fine and a few months down the road, something happens, the owner is still on the hook for all costs of repairs.
There's 2 types of inspectors. Certified Home Inspector (CHI) and Certified Property Inspector (CPI). For the most part you're right on the fact the CHI can only inspect the unit however the CPI is able to inspect both the unit and the building (assuming they're doing their job). Secondly no inspector will open up walls and so forth, imagine you're the seller and you have some random stranger cutting up holes and damaging your property. How would you feel about that? I'd imagine you or any seller would be furious. Don't forget Holmes on Homes at the end of the day is still Hollywood glamour. Thirdly the checking of outlets they should be plugging in a Ground Fault Interrupter checker (I think that's what is called). It's to see if the proper current is flowing and if there was an overflow of electricity that the breaker would trip so ono one electrocutes themselves. Checking the doors..I have not idea what that's all about lol. As for looking for water around the frames you should be looking at the top of the window for any discoloration or rust spots. Last time I checked rain falls down not up. Lastly all inspectors do carry insurance. It's called Errors and Omissions. It's actually required prior to licencing. If you hired someone who didn't carry insurance you may have been duped. Finding a good inspector is equivalent to finding an honest mechanic. It's hard and you never know what you're getting. Best is to ask what they can inspect before hiring one and being at the property and watching them work.

For the record I'm not an inspector LOL.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #8793
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
There's 2 types of inspectors. Certified Home Inspector (CHI) and Certified Property Inspector (CPI). For the most part you're right on the fact the CHI can only inspect the unit however the CPI is able to inspect both the unit and the building (assuming they're doing their job). Secondly no inspector will open up walls and so forth, imagine you're the seller and you have some random stranger cutting up holes and damaging your property. How would you feel about that? I'd imagine you or any seller would be furious. Don't forget Holmes on Homes at the end of the day is still Hollywood glamour. Thirdly the checking of outlets they should be plugging in a Ground Fault Interrupter checker (I think that's what is called). It's to see if the proper current is flowing and if there was an overflow of electricity that the breaker would trip so ono one electrocutes themselves. Checking the doors..I have not idea what that's all about lol. As for looking for water around the frames you should be looking at the top of the window for any discoloration or rust spots. Last time I checked rain falls down not up. Lastly all inspectors do carry insurance. It's called Errors and Omissions. It's actually required prior to licencing. If you hired someone who didn't carry insurance you may have been duped. Finding a good inspector is equivalent to finding an honest mechanic. It's hard and you never know what you're getting. Best is to ask what they can inspect before hiring one and being at the property and watching them work.

For the record I'm not an inspector LOL.
We are talking about condo's. Even CPI's won't have access to all the places that potential buyers will want inspected.
Like I said, they won't be cutting holes into walks to see what is going on behind the walls, especially around windows.
I'm glad you are not an inspector because yes, rain down fall down hence why you look at the walls under the windows.
And the insurance they have will not pay out if the inspector has done all they can do and later on there is a water leak problem in another unit and everyone has to pony up.

The best bet is look at the history of the building, old strata meeting minutes to see if anyone has complained about water issues, and the depreciation report. Pay attention to what has been serviced and what will need servicing.
Hot water tanks have a life span.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #8794
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Who in there right mind would pay $2million to live right beside YVR and a runway?

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...olumbia-V7B1H8
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #8795
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ Asian people. Most Asians are actually are kool with living close to airports.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #8796
UFO

Burkeville is actually quite a desirable area. Quaint and very tightknit community feel. Airport proximity not withstanding.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #8797

didnt even realize there was a neighborhood in that little pocket..
Old 11-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #8798
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I bought some Weber's in that area in the summer. Never knew that place existed, and I work out of the airport. Neat area though, I liked it.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #8799
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
That's a beautiful house though.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #8800
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
I dont know about brand new.

But it's valued at 22 ish million.

And sold for almost 18 million in 2014.

All in all 58 million is a bit of a stretch (Or you know about 30 million worth of a stretch).

E-value:

https://evaluebc.bcassessment.ca/Pro...AwMDBGUzFGQg==

even 18 million is highly outrageous knowing what 2 million can normally buy you without being in a High Demand overpriced housing market...the yearly land tax on that also is gonna be sucking you dry unless you're fully ready.