REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #8851
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
fuck that, i don't want those extremist liberal SJW americans moving up here. fuck them. they can stay put.

that and all the extremist liberals are poor, so they couldn't even afford canada lol.
Mayor Moonbean will find them a home. Remember back he said he will end homeless in Vancouver by 2015. He still working hard at it LOL.
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #8852
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
what do you guys think about Concord Brentwood?
Old 11-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #8853
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
FYI:

Quote:
SALES BEGIN THIS SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 12th

We want to thank all those who attended the opening of Avalon Park this past weekend. The response to the first phase of Avalon Park has been overwhelming. We've already seen hundreds through our newly updated River District Sales Centre and fully furnished display suite. Due to this great response, we've moved up our sales date to this Saturday, November 12th. Doors open at 12pm.

Avalon Park is the latest addition to the award winning River District neighbourhood. Situated next to a park and just steps from everyday urban essentials, Avalon Park offers a fresh living experience with easy access to shops, cafes, groceries and eateries. Visit the newly updated River District website to learn about the building features, design and community amenities as well, view the great selection of floorplans available. ​

3 STEPS TO OWNING

1. REVIEW FLOORPLANS: If you haven't already, visit us at the River District Sales Centre to learn more about Avalon Park, tour our brand-new display home, and review the floorplans. We have an excellent variety of one-, two-, and three-bedroom homes, and spacious townhomes to choose from. You can also find them on our website here. We encourage you to review the plans and select your favourites.

2. DEPOSIT: Bring your cheque book with you. A deposit in the amount of 10% of your new home purchase price will be required to secure your home.

3. GET READY: Come prepared with everything and everyone you need to make a selection and we’ll see you this Saturday!

The River District Sales Centre is open daily from 12pm to 5pm at 8700 Kinross St. in Vancouver.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #8854
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
what do you guys think about Concord Brentwood?
It's hard to comment on the building/development itself without seeing it in person. However, as someone who lived in Brentwood for over 9 years, I can offer some pros and cons of the area because you're really buying into a community when you buy a condo.

Pros:
- location is central to many areas of Metro Vancouver
- everything you need for everyday life is within walking distance
- a little bit more diverse than other high rise communities like Metrotown or Coquitlam Centre

Cons:
- currently overvalued compared to other emerging areas like the River District or Burquitlam
- traffic is a nightmare at the intersection of Willingdon and Lougheed. I'm not sure if they're going to create access to the property from Dawson, so you should look into that on the site plans.
- construction will continue for another 10-15 years, so be prepared for noise and dust
- new complexes are a magnet for transient renters, and petty crime. The common property of your building will be trashed after the first couple of years, so you'll probably have to pony up special assessments for new paint, panels, etc.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #8855
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Vancouver slaps $10,000 a year tax on empty homes. Lie about it and it?s $10,000 a day | Financial Post

Excellent lol I'm currently looking for a rental DT, market is shit.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #8856

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Vancouver slaps $10,000 a year tax on empty homes. Lie about it and it?s $10,000 a day | Financial Post

I wouldn't get too excited. Even if more empty houses and condos come on the market the rent will still be unaffordable.

It's like with everything the Gov't does, they're always late to the party and try to do quick patch work to make it look like they actual give a shit and they're fixing the problem when in reality they're worsen it.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2016, 03:26 AM   #8857
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
that's fucking harsh...lol, imagine a chinese investor, one year later, he heads back to vancouver and found out he owes $3.65mil of empty house penality.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:39 AM   #8858
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
I could care less if the rent remains expensive, I just wish there was more selection.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #8859
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
that's fucking harsh...lol, imagine a chinese investor, one year later, he heads back to vancouver and found out he owes $3.65mil of empty house penality.
LOL.
Sweet math.....
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #8860
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post

But how would it work for people who are "selling" their house? Lets say that I am an owner overseas and have a property worth $2 mil, but I dont want to rent it out. So I put it up for sale for $8mil, knowing that noone will purchase it and even if they do I can deny to sell at that price.

The city can't dictate what I list my house for, and since its up for sale I don't want to rent it out because the potential new homeowners will want to move in asap. Then the homeowner can just come back and use it whenever they want to and just keep the house for sale on the market.
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #8861
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
When we lived in the condo it wasn't uncommon to have foreign owners miss on monthly strata fees and special assessments, sometimes for 1-2 years.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #8862

I'm sure residents in areas with $4m+ homes will love having rental homes in their area with 10 renters live in one house so they can afford the $10,000/month. Might as well start calling vacant rental homes "million dollar hostels".
Old 11-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #8863
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
excluding condo's that have no renting bylaws is b.s.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #8864
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post
But how would it work for people who are "selling" their house? Lets say that I am an owner overseas and have a property worth $2 mil, but I dont want to rent it out. So I put it up for sale for $8mil, knowing that noone will purchase it and even if they do I can deny to sell at that price.

The city can't dictate what I list my house for, and since its up for sale I don't want to rent it out because the potential new homeowners will want to move in asap. Then the homeowner can just come back and use it whenever they want to and just keep the house for sale on the market.
Thats what you call "lieing" and get slapped with $10k a day penalty.

Then we will see a thread on revscene "How To Appeal $10k A Day Penalty"
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #8865
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post
Thats what you call "lieing" and get slapped with $10k a day penalty.

Then we will see a thread on revscene "How To Appeal $10k A Day Penalty"
Gov can't make you sell your house with the price they decide. Is my house I can decide to sell it what I see my house is worth.

Same with renting it. I can rent my house for $20k a month because I feel that's how much my house is worth.

Just like people selling 2nd clotes, cell phones, cars they put the price they feel their item is worth it. If the buyer don't like the price they can look elsewhere.

If the gov starts forcing ppl to sell/rent their house at a certain it will lead to a lot of issue possible a ton of lawsuit.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #8866
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
In Hong Kong, my family rents out apartments to parents who want our address for entering certain famous elementary school, they just pay the rent and never live there. The School Board learned the trick and hired inspectors to check out the utility meters. These parents began to turn on all the lights inside the house 24/7 to pretend someone lives there.

School board isn't stupid, but can't do shit about it. Now they check mailbox, ask the property managers, ring the bell at 7am on weekdays. So there is no absolute way to avoid empty house.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 PM   #8867

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post

That's not how a legal loophole could potentially work. In order to prove that you are selling in good faith, you'd have to prove that you are genuinely trying to sell.

By jacking up your asking price multi-fold just gives the city the evidence they need to prove in court that you are not selling in good faith and hence lying just to avoid the tax. You might as well consider paying the 10k per year tax to begin with than doing that.

Remember, as most of the city accusations (tickets) go, the burden to prove otherwise is on you. You need to first find that proof to make a legal loophole works
Old 11-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #8868
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
If you listed your home at slightly over asking but never had showings or entertained offers, would be pretty hard to claim foul?
Old 11-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #8869

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
If that's all it takes to get around the tax then it's a huge fail. Brb just put your house up for sale for 15 years and never have a showing or entertain offers while you live somewhere else, nothing fishy about that.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #8870
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Fishy is one thing, but how can the city actually prove that? Are you gonna drag homeowners to court and put a lien if you win and they dont pay the fines?

Or is it gonna be an no argument thing? where the city says that you get fined and thats the end of the story, but we all know thats not gonna happen. I would like to see how the city is gonna mitigate this
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:36 PM   #8871
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by und3f3at3d View Post
Fishy is one thing, but how can the city actually prove that? Are you gonna drag homeowners to court and put a lien if you win and they dont pay the fines?

Or is it gonna be an no argument thing? where the city says that you get fined and thats the end of the story, but we all know thats not gonna happen. I would like to see how the city is gonna mitigate this
Easy. Get the neighbours snitching and give them a monetary reward. It works in the states for minority communities with illegal immigrants.

It's politics. Whatever keeps them in office, best believe they will do it.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #8872

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you listed your home at slightly over asking but never had showings or entertained offers, would be pretty hard to claim foul?
Easy to say, harder to actually do.

I assume anyone who is trying to get out of paying this 10k a year tax is planning on leaving their house empty for years on end. Otherwise you own a multimillion dollar investment, if you have to pay 10k on it for a year because you can't stay there just pay it. Or if you are so broke, then you should probably be renting it out to generate money, and save the 10k tax.

So with the understanding that someone who is avoiding the tax is going to list their property for like 2 years, in order to avoid this tax. What happens when values shift north and you aren't quick enough to react to the price shift, then all of a sudden you have 3 offers on your property, and one of them is no subjects, and full asking. If you decline all 3, I'm pretty sure you have just made the governments case of "dealing in bad faith".

And then what, you tried to save 20k (over two years), and instead you end up owing 10k*400+ Days.

Honestly I think this could work, the people with 500k-900k condos will probably have to rent them out, because paying 10k tax on that when they can be rented to make 30k a year is pretty retarded (taking a 40k a year hit on a 500k investment is not advisable).

And those who have multimillion dollar properties won't even think twice, they will just pay the tax.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #8873

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Or we'll see multiple listings going up for billion dollar condos soon, cause the government can't tell me what to do!
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #8874
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Setting an asking price so high that your property sits on the market for years? You might as well walk around with a big sign saying "AUDIT ME - I'M A BIG CHEAT."

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #8875
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
What happens when values shift north and you aren't quick enough to react to the price shift, then all of a sudden you have 3 offers on your property, and one of them is no subjects, and full asking. If you decline all 3, I'm pretty sure you have just made the governments case of "dealing in bad faith".
Then you just let it go and sell it at that profit? That's the point of an investment no?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote