REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #1601
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,647
Thanked 1,936 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Who can seriously save up for a downpayment for a place they'd actually want to live in?

Stylish places downtown start at like 500k+ but rent for around 2k a month
What do u do? I'm really interested to see what ppl do and why they think they deserve to live in 'stylish places'
Advertisement
4444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #1602
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,530
Thanked 16,684 Times in 3,593 Posts
I'll play on this one. I'm a chef, my wife is a nurse. We pay 1480 a month, and are moving to a house with 2 fenced yards and will be paying 1600 a month, all bills included. The house is divided into 3 but is massive so I'd say our floor space is around 1200 sq ft. Its 100 years old, in good shape and on a bus route in kits. I cringe to think of what 1200 square feet with a yard would cost me in kits per month with 100k or so down payment. We are fairly decently paid for a young couple and I couldn't imagine the lifestyle change if we were to buy something of similar size/quality. No more M3 with new toys for it every month, no more dinners at our favourite restaurants, no more trips to whistler, no more nearly debt free life, (other than my mortgage in edmonton) no more nice clothes, new snowboard gear, etc. I can't comprehend what people believe they can afford in Vancouver. 100k household income does NOT mean a 500k condo is within reach although it seems people are getting into that situation all the time. Being house poor is something I will never allow to happen to me, I enjoy things and doing things way too much.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #1603
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,424
Thanked 294 Times in 136 Posts
^ me and my wife just went through the same thing. Looking at selling our condo, putting down $160k on a 628k duplex. Even with that money down we would be looking at $3500-$4000 a month for the mortgage, property tax, insurance, hydro. Once we looked at that hard number we stopped looking and said screw that. We would have to give up going out for dinner 2-3x a week, holidays and pretty much doing whatever we want. For what? A house? Its not a dream anymore to own a house its a nightmare. Ill invest my 160k and make some real money instead of losing it in real estate.
VR6GTI is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #1604
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,313
Thanked 1,796 Times in 949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I cringe to think of what 1200 square feet with a yard would cost me in kits per month with 100k or so down payment.
I'll bite.

V1022602, 2795 W 8TH ST, Vancouver, British Columbia $ V6K2B7

Asking $998000. It is a duplex so the 4200 sqft land isn't all yours.
Say $998000 is the final purchasing price with taxes and fees included. $100K down, you are still borrowing $898000 @ 3.15% for 25 years, you are looking at $4319.16 per month plus property taxes, hydro/tv, and whatever other cost that is included with owning a home in Vancouver.
At the end of the 25 years, if nothing else has changed and interest stays at 3.15%, you would have paid an extra $397,615 in interest plus whatever you would have paid in property tax and other bills.
@$1200 for 25 years, you are looking at $360,000. Assuming a 3% increase per year, then that number will be higher.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #1605
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Marshall Placid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,262
Thanked 1,888 Times in 483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'll play on this one. I'm a chef, my wife is a nurse. We pay 1480 a month, and are moving to a house with 2 fenced yards and will be paying 1600 a month, all bills included. The house is divided into 3 but is massive so I'd say our floor space is around 1200 sq ft. Its 100 years old, in good shape and on a bus route in kits. I cringe to think of what 1200 square feet with a yard would cost me in kits per month with 100k or so down payment. We are fairly decently paid for a young couple and I couldn't imagine the lifestyle change if we were to buy something of similar size/quality. No more M3 with new toys for it every month, no more dinners at our favourite restaurants, no more trips to whistler, no more nearly debt free life, (other than my mortgage in edmonton) no more nice clothes, new snowboard gear, etc. I can't comprehend what people believe they can afford in Vancouver. 100k household income does NOT mean a 500k condo is within reach although it seems people are getting into that situation all the time. Being house poor is something I will never allow to happen to me, I enjoy things and doing things way too much.
I'll play as well in regards to the friends I know.

They are definitely house poor.

They really don't go out for dinners any more.

I have to ask them 6 different times to go out on dinners together, and they reject 5 out of 6 times.

I feel bad when I ask them, but at least we get to get together for house parties, so that balances it.

So, the relationships still flows.
Marshall Placid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #1606
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,314
Thanked 2,342 Times in 764 Posts
You know, since I bought my place I find myself not going out for nights on the town anymore not because I can't afford it, but because I find working in my garage, basement, or doing many other things around the place way more enjoyable. Plus I like cooking at home.
If a measure of an enjoyable life is by how many times you can go out to dinner, that's pretty laughable.

Have you ever thought that your friends just don't want to go out for dinners so often anymore?
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 11-05-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Great68 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #1607
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,530
Thanked 16,684 Times in 3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
You know, since I bought my place I find myself not going out for nights on the town anymore not because I can't afford it, but because I find working in my garage, basement, or doing many other things around the place way more enjoyable. Plus I like cooking at home.
If a measure of an enjoyable life is how many times you can go out to dinner, that's pretty laughable.
I think its pretty laughable that you took that from the conversation happening here. He's simply using that as an example. I certainly understand the satisfaction of enjoying your home, but its very much a balance. If you were house poor you probably wouldn't have anything in the garage worth working on, right?
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 11-05-2013 at 09:38 PM.
westopher is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #1608
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,111
Thanked 3,484 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
You know, since I bought my place I find myself not going out for nights on the town anymore not because I can't afford it, but because I find working in my garage, basement, or doing many other things around the place way more enjoyable. Plus I like cooking at home.
If a measure of an enjoyable life is by how many times you can go out to dinner, that's pretty laughable.

Have you ever thought that your friends just don't want to go out for dinners so often anymore?
I think its just called "getting older"
dinosaur is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #1609
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I'll bite.

V1022602, 2795 W 8TH ST, Vancouver, British Columbia $ V6K2B7

Asking $998000. It is a duplex so the 4200 sqft land isn't all yours.
Say $998000 is the final purchasing price with taxes and fees included. $100K down, you are still borrowing $898000 @ 3.15% for 25 years, you are looking at $4319.16 per month plus property taxes, hydro/tv, and whatever other cost that is included with owning a home in Vancouver.
At the end of the 25 years, if nothing else has changed and interest stays at 3.15%, you would have paid an extra $397,615 in interest plus whatever you would have paid in property tax and other bills.
@$1200 for 25 years, you are looking at $360,000. Assuming a 3% increase per year, then that number will be higher.
except you'll need to put down $200k instead of $100k like you said, otherwise you'll be paying an additional $20k for mortgage default insurance and at least 4% interest. You also need a combined income of at least $120k-$140k/year to qualify for a mortgage like that
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #1610
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 6,530
Thanked 16,684 Times in 3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
except you'll need to put down $200k instead of $100k like you said, otherwise you'll be paying an additional $20k for mortgage default insurance and at least 4% interest. You also need a combined income of at least $120k-$140k/year to qualify for a mortgage like that
I sure hope it takes A LOT more than 120-140k a year to qualify for that.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #1611
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
you'll qualify with $120-140k if you claim some rental income and dont have much other debt
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #1612
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,647
Thanked 1,936 Times in 764 Posts
From CMHC

http://twitter.com/VLAlexander/statu...339136/photo/1

Not sure if real or nominal, but regardless, highest payments whilst we have emergency rates, and a sluggish economy.

I can't imagine this will be pretty in the future. Would love to see the rest of this report/presentation
4444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #1613
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,313
Thanked 1,796 Times in 949 Posts
Another article from Global.
Home sales up nearly 40% in Vancouver-area - BC | Globalnews.ca

Quote:
Home sales in Vancouver were up nearly 40 per cent in October compared with a year ago, when sales dropped following changes to the mortgage lending rules, the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver said Monday.

The board says 2,661 homes were sold last month through the Multiple Listing Service, compared with 1,931 a year ago.

Compared with September, sales were up 7.2 per cent.

“We continue to see fairly typical activity when it comes to monthly home sale and listing totals,” said Sandra Wyant, president of the Greater Vancouver board.

“Today’s activity is helping to keep us in balanced market territory, which means that prices tend to experience minimal fluctuation.”

Sales were 2.8 per cent over the 10-year average for the month.

Despite the sharp gain in sales, the total number of homes listed for sale on the MLS system was 15,257, down 12.2 per cent compared with a year ago, while the sales-to-active-listings ratio was 17.4 per cent for the region.

The MLS home price index composite benchmark price was $600,700 for Greater Vancouver, down 0.5 per cent compared with a year ago.

Sales of detached homes were up 35.1 per cent at 1,067 last month compared with 790 a year ago, while the benchmark price for detached properties decreased 0.5 per cent to $922,600.

The board said sales of apartment properties amounted to 1,098, up 36.7 per cent from 803 apartment sales a year ago, while attached property totalled 496, up 46.7 per cent from 338.

The benchmark price apartment price was down 0.9 per cent from last year at $365,600, while the benchmark price of an attached property was unchanged at $458,000.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #1614
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,645
Thanked 343 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
From CMHC

http://twitter.com/VLAlexander/statu...339136/photo/1

Not sure if real or nominal, but regardless, highest payments whilst we have emergency rates, and a sluggish economy.

I can't imagine this will be pretty in the future. Would love to see the rest of this report/presentation
this is definitely going to end well when interest rate normalize. idk if the mining industry slowdown is having any impact on the downtown real estate market and vancouver in general. but I just saw a recent stat about half of the TSX venture mining companies are headquartered in Vancouver. with mining in a huge decline and no rebound in the near future this tells me there is going to be a lot of people out of work.
Carl Johnson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #1615
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,687
Thanked 730 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
From CMHC

http://twitter.com/VLAlexander/statu...339136/photo/1

Not sure if real or nominal, but regardless, highest payments whilst we have emergency rates, and a sluggish economy.

I can't imagine this will be pretty in the future. Would love to see the rest of this report/presentation
Here's an article from the financial post regarding CHMC. In summary, bank profits are high as heck, and they are not worried about bad debt or mortgage defaults because it's all insured by CMHC. That's right, it's our tax dollars that will bail out these bad loans.



Spoiler!


we went from about $50 Billion dollars in insured mortgages by the CMHC in the early 2000's to about $700 billion today. I think the biggest mistake the government did was the 40 year amortization mortgages. That and relaxed lending guidelines such as no income verification and stuff like that.

So for the next 25-40 years (the life of a mortgage), us taxpayers have to be liable for this 700 billion dollars if a catastrophic event happens and real estate values crash. Great, just great.

All so some guy can speculate with 5% down.
iEatClams is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #1616
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,452
Thanked 2,665 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
What do u do? I'm really interested to see what ppl do and why they think they deserve to live in 'stylish places'

Sell porn on the internet and write books


Location determines lifestyle
multicartual is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #1617
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,452
Thanked 2,665 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
So don't live in a $2k/month apartment and don't live downtown.

Do you really need to be walked through this or are you apart of the impatient self-entitled generation who wants every thing right now?

Come on dude, do you really not know how to budget and save money? Live cheap in the present for a goal in the future? Sound like a foreign concept to you?

This is why you probably don't work out, you don't fuck hot chicks, you don't have a sweet car, but you may have a few hundred grand in net worth


Then again, what have you done with your life but saved up? If you're finally a millionaire @ 40 but you did nothing but save up, date a 5, drive a Camry, and your big night out was going to Red Robin and the movies, well, enjoy it I guess!
multicartual is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #1618
RS controls my life!
 
Puck Luck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: lower mainland
Posts: 731
Thanked 87 Times in 74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
This is why you probably don't work out, you don't fuck hot chicks, you don't have a sweet car, but you may have a few hundred grand in net worth


Then again, what have you done with your life but saved up? If you're finally a millionaire @ 40 but you did nothing but save up, date a 5, drive a Camry, and your big night out was going to Red Robin and the movies, well, enjoy it I guess!
Hey that kinda sounds like my life years back. Work out less now that i have a family. Had a townhouse in burnaby, and along with the working out that helped me fuck plenty hot chicks, found one i loved and married her, sold the townhouse, bought a house, suppose my net worth is well north of 100k (house poor) traded my sweet ride for a minivan (but i still have the gisxr and its for sale if anyone is interested) and i still enjoy them sauteed shroom burgers!
I admit, i dated some 5's. We've all brought things home we're not too proud of
__________________
Don't open your hood to strangers........ N 'ouvrez pas votre capot à des inconnus
Puck Luck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #1619
GS8
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
GS8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Fruit Loops
Posts: 1,580
Thanked 3,305 Times in 864 Posts
Sweet! The price of a detached home is now a steal at just over $900k

Would it be wrong to point and laugh at those who are in full tryhard mode to buy property now because status quo?
GS8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #1620
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Langley
Posts: 4,881
Thanked 5,046 Times in 1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Sell porn on the internet and write books


Location determines lifestyle
Jason!

MindBomber is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #1621
VLS Head Mod
 
saucywoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: E Van
Posts: 7,984
Thanked 886 Times in 387 Posts
Why Vancouver Real Estate is Not Going To Crash | Vancity Buzz | Vancouver Events, News, Food, Lifestyle and More

WHY VANCOUVER REAL ESTATE IS NOT GOING TO CRASH
BY VANCITY BUZZ | 3 HOURS AGO | SPEAK UP




It’s Vancouver’s greatest economic export: telling everyone outside of Vancouver how great it is to live here. It’s even on our license plate (“the greatest place on earth”). No – we’re not arrogant, we just live in a delusional rainy day reality.

The Economics

The definition of a real estate bubble is when the price of an asset rises above what local incomes can afford. It’s that simple. If the locals can’t afford it – then an asset is over priced. How do we gauge if something is too expensive?

Easy – we have historical real estate valuations that are based on the incomes of local residents. The historical national average over a very long period of time is approximately three times income to one. What does this mean in English and not finance talk? It means that if you and your partner make a combined income of $100,000 per year, then the house you should be buying is about $300,000.

This isn’t an exact science – but that sounds about right for affordability doesn’t it? This way you can pay your mortgage, save for your kids college, perhaps take a vacation every year or two, and save for a rainy day.

So here’s the magic question – if the rest of Canadian families are making $100,000 per year and buying $300,000 houses, how much do pay at the greatest place on earth?

Well, let me assure you we’re not making any more money: Vancouver is not a great place for young couples to get ahead (think Calgary, Fort Mac, or Toronto if you want to live somewhere and make good coin). So if a Vancouver couple is making $100,000, the average home they are purchasing is $900,000. These aren’t exact numbers, but give or take $100,000 in either direction and you’re probably about bang on. So what are the implications to this?

If you believe in putting down a 25 per cent down payment you’d have to first save about $225,000 to just for your down payment. That’s nearly the cost of a $300,000 house that everyone else in the country is paying. Comparatively speaking, your mortgage is $450,000 higher with living in Vancouver than somewhere else in the country.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is pure insanity.

Never mind the increased mortgage cost, the real cost is what you pay in interest for borrowing that insane amount of money.

I whipped out my trusty mortgage rate calculator (never leave home without it) and believe with a historical 5% interest rate (with a 25 year mortgage), the amount of interest a Vancouver resident will pay in real dollars is $508,794 (Simple Mortgage Interest Calculator | CalcMyMortgage.com).

I hope you love living in the greatest place on earth is worth giving your retirement, college kids savings, and your first born child to the bank, because that’s basically what it’s costing. The average Vancouver family could literally own three homes if they lived somewhere else.

So now that we’ve already figured out that its completely unaffordable to live in this city, let’s try to determine why.

The Limited Land Argument

From a geographic perspective, Vancouver is unlike most American (and Canadian) cities in the sense that we are surrounded by mountains, water and the international border with the United states. This creates a limited space for the region to build housing for its residents.

It’s simple, Vancouver is not a city that can just perpetually build out in every direction (like Calgary), which means we all get stuffed in next to each other as prices continue to escalate. Despite the limited land argument, this is not the main reason why the average Vancouver home is more than twice the national average.

The Foreign Money Argument

Metro Vancouver is touted as one of the most “ethnically diverse” places to live in the world. There’s no argument there, this must be one of the only places in North America where you can live a comfortable lifestyle and never have to speak a word of English.

This has caused Vancouver to be a hot bed of foreign ownership and investment in our real estate, and this is the key reason why Vancouver real estate prices are so high. How you say? Let’s dissect further.

I never really understood why foreigners want to live in Vancouver so much. I mean, why Vancouver over any other city. You would think they would want to live somewhere else like Seattle, Toronto or Montreal. What makes us so special?

There are already well established immigrant communities in Vancouver. Don’t believe me? I would challenge you to hang out in Richmond for the day and take a poll of how many people speak English versus a foreign language. It makes perfect sense – if you wanted to buy real estate outside your own country, you’d buy the next best thing and that’s exactly what Vancouver offers this wealthy foreign contingent.

You need a lot of money to buy real estate in Vancouver, right? The people that can afford to still buy in Vancouver are not exactly middle class, they’re business owners, professionals, and basically already very wealthy in their own country. To these people it doesn’t matter if a Vancouver home costs $500,000, $600,000 or a million dollars.

They’re recession proof, this is the key argument that every real estate analyst (that’s calling for a Vancouver housing crash) is missing. The local residents are simply completely priced out of the market, they’re not buying locally or at all. Ask any realtor (selling houses and not condos) how many of his/her sales are to foreign versus local money. I did a poll in of three realtors in Burnaby and each told me greater then 90 per cent are offshore or only live for a portion of the year.

If you are a wealthy Hong Kong or Mainland Chinese businessman worth millions of dollars, do you think it matters if the Vancouver real estate market crashes? Of course not, they’re investing in Vancouver real estate with cash. They don’t need Canadian mortgages and they wouldn’t qualify anyways, they don’t have any Canadian income.

Their money is made somewhere else – so they just pay cash. If you’re worth millions of dollars, do you think you will care if your $1 million dollar house declined in value by 20%? No – of course you don’t. That’s precisely why the Vancouver market is not in for a housing crash.

Could we see some sort of “correction” of 10 – 20 percent? Sure we could – I wouldn’t say a 1 million dollar box in the sky condo that declined to $800,000 a “huge real estate crash.”

It certainly would be a decline in price – but it’s not exactly going to change the game and make real estate affordable in this city.

How We’re Different then the American Real Estate Crash

Wealthy offshore investors purchase homes in cash (not credit). Therefore less leverage making the market more stable.
Local residents mortgage themselves up with real estate they can’t afford, but they’ll get by through renting out the basement, spare upstairs bedroom, and eating canned soup.
There’s no real trigger for a crash as “thousands of owners flood the market with listings” because the majority of Vancouver real estate are all long term holders and not flippers.
American mortgages are different than Canadian mortgages with respect to the fact that in the United States, you can literally just mail the bank the keys to your place and move out. In Canada, when you default on your mortgage they come after the mortgage owner’s personal assets.
How the Government Can Actually Be Useful Here

Living in a place where foreign investors and non-residents are buying up all the affordable real estate is nothing new. There are similar situations all around the world where this is happening.

Think about it – if you were worth millions of dollars and lived in a developing or politically oppressed country, wouldn’t you want to store your cash in a delightfully, economically and politically stable jurisdiction? You have no idea what the government will do next month never mind the next 50 years. This is what the Government can do:

Start collecting statistics on local real estate. I know it’s crazy – for all of the unnecessary stuff that government does, they haven’t even mandated that proper statistics start being collected for who buys and owns real estate (arguably our most precious asset as a country).
Consider implementing foreign ownership rules in a phased approach over time. Why is it that whenever a foreign government wants to buy a big natural resource or technology company, it becomes mainstream news and it’s subject to a “net benefit test.” But when the same thing happends to individual residents (i.e. real estate being purchased en masse, severely disrupting the equilibrium of a local market), it’s ok and no one does anything. I personally do not care if BHP wants to purchase Potash – where do politician’s think the natural resources are going to go? England? I won’t babble too much about this because that’s a separate opinion article.
The Canadian Government needs to get serious about this foreign ownership of our real estate. Residents need to start standing up and protesting our land being sold to the highest bidder in another country who doesn’t truly plan to live here.

Other countries have implemented foreign ownership rules successfully, most notably Sydney, Australia. Our real estate and home prices are not an investment, they are a home.

It is not good for our society to live in a place where homes are expected to increase $30,000 per year.
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #1622
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,099
Thanked 1,586 Times in 721 Posts
I continue to ask myself, after reading all of the threads here and elsewhere, why are people still here? Metro Vancouver has no jobs, no economic prospects, "hippie" politicians, and people who don't care about the well-being of this place.

People should just pack up, move to Alberta, make 6 figures, and call it a day. Exporting commodities is all we're good at now anyway. (Semi-serious)
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #1623
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,647
Thanked 1,936 Times in 764 Posts
i failed teh above because it was just the worst article ever, so poorly written, totally one sided.

i love how recent history (<10 years) means we can completely ignore everything else - vancouver has had a large asian community for a LONG FUCKING TIME, this isn't a new phenomenon

ugh, such an ugly article, the person who wrote it is probably wearing skinny jeans drinking coffee in a starbucks on a mac.... living with his parents
4444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #1624
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,647
Thanked 1,936 Times in 764 Posts
"American mortgages are different than Canadian mortgages with respect to the fact that in the United States, you can literally just mail the bank the keys to your place and move out. In Canada, when you default on your mortgage they come after the mortgage owner’s personal assets."


hahahaha, really? that's an interesting fact, because only a small number of states have non-recourse loans.

i won't pick at it anymore because i could be here all day, but WOW! this proves how poor our media is (i know it's not a news source, but still shouldn't be published anywhere - this is almost fear mongering)
4444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #1625
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,341
Thanked 1,246 Times in 516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
Why Vancouver Real Estate is Not Going To Crash | Vancity Buzz | Vancouver Events, News, Food, Lifestyle and More

WHY VANCOUVER REAL ESTATE IS NOT GOING TO CRASH
BY VANCITY BUZZ | 3 HOURS AGO | SPEAK UP




It’s Vancouver’s greatest economic export: telling everyone outside of Vancouver how great it is to live here. It’s even on our license plate (“the greatest place on earth”). No – we’re not arrogant, we just live in a delusional rainy day reality.

The Economics

The definition of a real estate bubble is when the price of an asset rises above what local incomes can afford. It’s that simple. If the locals can’t afford it – then an asset is over priced. How do we gauge if something is too expensive?

Easy – we have historical real estate valuations that are based on the incomes of local residents. The historical national average over a very long period of time is approximately three times income to one. What does this mean in English and not finance talk? It means that if you and your partner make a combined income of $100,000 per year, then the house you should be buying is about $300,000.

This isn’t an exact science – but that sounds about right for affordability doesn’t it? This way you can pay your mortgage, save for your kids college, perhaps take a vacation every year or two, and save for a rainy day.

So here’s the magic question – if the rest of Canadian families are making $100,000 per year and buying $300,000 houses, how much do pay at the greatest place on earth?

Well, let me assure you we’re not making any more money: Vancouver is not a great place for young couples to get ahead (think Calgary, Fort Mac, or Toronto if you want to live somewhere and make good coin). So if a Vancouver couple is making $100,000, the average home they are purchasing is $900,000. These aren’t exact numbers, but give or take $100,000 in either direction and you’re probably about bang on. So what are the implications to this?

If you believe in putting down a 25 per cent down payment you’d have to first save about $225,000 to just for your down payment. That’s nearly the cost of a $300,000 house that everyone else in the country is paying. Comparatively speaking, your mortgage is $450,000 higher with living in Vancouver than somewhere else in the country.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is pure insanity.

Never mind the increased mortgage cost, the real cost is what you pay in interest for borrowing that insane amount of money.

I whipped out my trusty mortgage rate calculator (never leave home without it) and believe with a historical 5% interest rate (with a 25 year mortgage), the amount of interest a Vancouver resident will pay in real dollars is $508,794 (Simple Mortgage Interest Calculator | CalcMyMortgage.com).

I hope you love living in the greatest place on earth is worth giving your retirement, college kids savings, and your first born child to the bank, because that’s basically what it’s costing. The average Vancouver family could literally own three homes if they lived somewhere else.

So now that we’ve already figured out that its completely unaffordable to live in this city, let’s try to determine why.

The Limited Land Argument

From a geographic perspective, Vancouver is unlike most American (and Canadian) cities in the sense that we are surrounded by mountains, water and the international border with the United states. This creates a limited space for the region to build housing for its residents.

It’s simple, Vancouver is not a city that can just perpetually build out in every direction (like Calgary), which means we all get stuffed in next to each other as prices continue to escalate. Despite the limited land argument, this is not the main reason why the average Vancouver home is more than twice the national average.

The Foreign Money Argument

Metro Vancouver is touted as one of the most “ethnically diverse” places to live in the world. There’s no argument there, this must be one of the only places in North America where you can live a comfortable lifestyle and never have to speak a word of English.

This has caused Vancouver to be a hot bed of foreign ownership and investment in our real estate, and this is the key reason why Vancouver real estate prices are so high. How you say? Let’s dissect further.

I never really understood why foreigners want to live in Vancouver so much. I mean, why Vancouver over any other city. You would think they would want to live somewhere else like Seattle, Toronto or Montreal. What makes us so special?

There are already well established immigrant communities in Vancouver. Don’t believe me? I would challenge you to hang out in Richmond for the day and take a poll of how many people speak English versus a foreign language. It makes perfect sense – if you wanted to buy real estate outside your own country, you’d buy the next best thing and that’s exactly what Vancouver offers this wealthy foreign contingent.

You need a lot of money to buy real estate in Vancouver, right? The people that can afford to still buy in Vancouver are not exactly middle class, they’re business owners, professionals, and basically already very wealthy in their own country. To these people it doesn’t matter if a Vancouver home costs $500,000, $600,000 or a million dollars.

They’re recession proof, this is the key argument that every real estate analyst (that’s calling for a Vancouver housing crash) is missing. The local residents are simply completely priced out of the market, they’re not buying locally or at all. Ask any realtor (selling houses and not condos) how many of his/her sales are to foreign versus local money. I did a poll in of three realtors in Burnaby and each told me greater then 90 per cent are offshore or only live for a portion of the year.

If you are a wealthy Hong Kong or Mainland Chinese businessman worth millions of dollars, do you think it matters if the Vancouver real estate market crashes? Of course not, they’re investing in Vancouver real estate with cash. They don’t need Canadian mortgages and they wouldn’t qualify anyways, they don’t have any Canadian income.

Their money is made somewhere else – so they just pay cash. If you’re worth millions of dollars, do you think you will care if your $1 million dollar house declined in value by 20%? No – of course you don’t. That’s precisely why the Vancouver market is not in for a housing crash.

Could we see some sort of “correction” of 10 – 20 percent? Sure we could – I wouldn’t say a 1 million dollar box in the sky condo that declined to $800,000 a “huge real estate crash.”

It certainly would be a decline in price – but it’s not exactly going to change the game and make real estate affordable in this city.

How We’re Different then the American Real Estate Crash

Wealthy offshore investors purchase homes in cash (not credit). Therefore less leverage making the market more stable.
Local residents mortgage themselves up with real estate they can’t afford, but they’ll get by through renting out the basement, spare upstairs bedroom, and eating canned soup.
There’s no real trigger for a crash as “thousands of owners flood the market with listings” because the majority of Vancouver real estate are all long term holders and not flippers.
American mortgages are different than Canadian mortgages with respect to the fact that in the United States, you can literally just mail the bank the keys to your place and move out. In Canada, when you default on your mortgage they come after the mortgage owner’s personal assets.
How the Government Can Actually Be Useful Here

Living in a place where foreign investors and non-residents are buying up all the affordable real estate is nothing new. There are similar situations all around the world where this is happening.

Think about it – if you were worth millions of dollars and lived in a developing or politically oppressed country, wouldn’t you want to store your cash in a delightfully, economically and politically stable jurisdiction? You have no idea what the government will do next month never mind the next 50 years. This is what the Government can do:

Start collecting statistics on local real estate. I know it’s crazy – for all of the unnecessary stuff that government does, they haven’t even mandated that proper statistics start being collected for who buys and owns real estate (arguably our most precious asset as a country).
Consider implementing foreign ownership rules in a phased approach over time. Why is it that whenever a foreign government wants to buy a big natural resource or technology company, it becomes mainstream news and it’s subject to a “net benefit test.” But when the same thing happends to individual residents (i.e. real estate being purchased en masse, severely disrupting the equilibrium of a local market), it’s ok and no one does anything. I personally do not care if BHP wants to purchase Potash – where do politician’s think the natural resources are going to go? England? I won’t babble too much about this because that’s a separate opinion article.
The Canadian Government needs to get serious about this foreign ownership of our real estate. Residents need to start standing up and protesting our land being sold to the highest bidder in another country who doesn’t truly plan to live here.

Other countries have implemented foreign ownership rules successfully, most notably Sydney, Australia. Our real estate and home prices are not an investment, they are a home.

It is not good for our society to live in a place where homes are expected to increase $30,000 per year.
Posted via RS Mobile
Vancitybuzz has been posting a lot of pro-real estate situation/industry articles lately, me thinks they're getting some "incentive" to
shawnly1000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net