REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #51
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
40%

we were looking at properties to upgrade our house as our family is growing, and pricing in vancouver/burnaby for houses is still pretty ridiculous. i see the same homes on the market for months. i can see it's harder to sell a $800k house for $1.1 million ... i walk in to the open house i can almost see the realtors' faces looking like

we'll be holding on upgrading and see how things play out for a bit. not too worried about increase/decrease in prices since when we sell the gap to upgrade the bigger house IMO will still be the same. i figure if pricing for the bigger house drops, pricing for my smaller house drops too and vice versa.

i agree with some of meowjin's assessment to an extent, but you make what you can of your situation. for me i choose not to hang out with dbag's or people with drama and hang out with real people and live my life, and don't worry about all the other negative stuff you might see. every city will have stuff like that.
Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #52
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,334 Times in 5,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBettah View Post
Vancouver is a great city. However, it's not the world class city people make it out to be.

The general attitude and culture of Vancouver is that it thinks itself a Big City with all the amenities and depth of a San Francisco, New York, Paris or Hong Kong. This is simply not true, we are nowhere near on par with those cities.

The idea that Vancouver is unique is also a sham. Every time I visit Seattle, Portland or San Francisco I can't believe how similar these cities and their cultures are to Vancouver... even the layout of San Francisco is similar to Vancouver, except in that their layout is better because they have water separating the city from Oakland (East Van & Burnaby).

Also all those cities have Cheesecake Factories... I'm just sayin.
Vancouver is an extension of BC, all of those places you mentioned are mostly dumps outside of their metro area

Although foreign buyers and plenty of long time residences probably have never been north of Squamish or east of Langley
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #53
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^

LOL
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #54

wtf

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #55
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Canadian Housing Bubble - Business Insider
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #56
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
^^Well, that sums it up right there.

People are spending too much of their income on housing, and as soon as one little thing goes wrong(ie.interest rates), we could be in for a snap.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #57
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post

Having said that, the more I travel for work, the more I realize just how amazing Vancouver is. The scenery, the beach all summer, the mountains all winter, how well groomed the city stays, the traffic is not that bad IMO (go drive around Toronto for a week), the city did a very good job ensuring park space DT didn't vanish as new buildings were erected, the people are friendly, the FOOD OMG, the parking is usually easy, the airport is located in a good spot, close to US border, close to many nature areas, close to Whis, attracts maor venues, etc..

Van is THAT GREAT.
Where has your work sent you?

This year I travelled to the beaches of Hawaii, South Florida, and the Black Sea. Might wanna see those places first. All the stuff you wrote up there is the opinion of someone with rose coloured glasses on.

Last edited by JaPoola; 10-04-2012 at 06:55 PM.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPoola View Post

This year I travelled to the beaches of Hawaii, South Florida, and the Black Sea. Might wanna see those places first. All the stuff you wrote up there is the opinion of someone with rose coloured glasses on.
You think those places are better than van? I've been to Hawaii for a reasonable vacation I'll take Cabo over it any day...

I'm not going to turn this into a bigger dick type thread but I've been around pretty well and coming back to Van to simply drive across the port Mann in the morning with the sun coming up is more beauty then alot of people in these other places will ever see (of course being subjective)
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #59
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
40%? Where do these people get these numbers from!?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #60
I don't get it

Quote:

Funny you mention vacation destinations when we're talking about liveable cities. Is that all the travelling you've done?
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #61
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
There are a lot of people, who have been a lot of places, that still choose to call vancouver home. I still love hawaii, mexico, chile, and many other places for vacations and would love to see all over the world, but lots of people are very happy and proud to call Canada home for many reasons, and as far as Canada goes, I can't think of somewhere better than Vancouver.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #62
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Funny you mention vacation destinations when we're talking about liveable cities. Is that all the travelling you've done?
No that's the travelling I've done plus 3 months in London this year alone

South Florida has a bunch of liveable cities, you should go visit.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #63

Conditions continue to favour buyers in the Greater Vancouver housing market | Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver

Coles Notes:

Basically September 2012 sales (# of sales) are 42% below the 10 year average for september. So volume or amount of transactions are decreasing, but prices have only gone down 2.3% over the last three months according to the benchmark prices.

Which means inventory is at a high and not many people are buying or selling, but prices havnt really come down.

However if you annualize 2.3% for 3 months over a 12 month period that is a significant decrease (assuming prices are going down at that same rate).
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #64
Banned (ABWS)

guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #65

^ PS, the REBGV has the title "Conditions continue to favour buyers", but a disclaimer should be put as these guys represent the Real estate industry and want realtors to do well, so of course they will say conditions favor buyers.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #66
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
What are peoples thoughts about buying in the False Creek area?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #67
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Its directly in between my work and home, and I think it looks great. They have reasonable $/sq ft, are close to DT, a close walk to the water, and close to gastown if you are into great local food. The only thing that worries me is with the whole olympic village fiasco, how well built are these places? They are going up FAST. Also I can see the yuppie attitude of yaletown filling it up quickly.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #68

I remember the insulation in the mechanical duct was all wrong in the village and made front Page News. Don't know if and how it was resolved.

Also not sure how the chunk of housing there used for social housing affects things either. But I remember seeing units of the village advertising in the paper hory shit its expensive lol. Rather try to get in to the social housing portion

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #69

If you think the Olympic village was built poorly you should see how all these pre-fab 3 story townhouses are built.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #70
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
What are peoples thoughts about buying in the False Creek area?
I have been shopping very seriously in the area and have spent some time looking at every display available in the area. IMO one of the biggest problems is that a lot of the new units are on either W2nd or Quebec St. ie big ass traffic. Also, a lot of the builders in the area are not being 100% straightforward about other proposed developments, the SEFC community plan is located here:
https://vancouver.ca/docs/sefc/offic...pment-plan.pdf

Currently there are approximately 2000 units that are being developed and there are about another 1500 units that havent even been announced - ie the big parking lot directly to the east of the existing olympic village is actually owned by Concert and slated to be 3 towers 12, 13, 14 floors respectively but nobody who sells at Lido or Central across the street seem to be acknowledging that all their units will stare directly at 2 years of construction and then into new units.

The biggest problem is all the units will be like interior yaletown - facing one another directly, which I personally really don't like.

With that said, the prices are reasonable - ground floor walkups are what I have been looking at and prices are around $620-$630sqft which is definitely a good 20% cheaper than equivalent downtown.

Hope that helps, if you have questions about specific developments, shoot. FWIW if I was buying pre-sale I have narrowed it to Lido (Bosa) or Meccanica (Cressey).

Mark

Last edited by lowside67; 10-05-2012 at 08:45 AM.
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #71
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Holy fak. I was wondering when someone would start construction on that plot of land. Now we know.

Don't forget the plot of land on the north side of the water near Rogers Arena. That is owned by Concord Pacific if I'm not mistaken. I believe that is going to become condo's too.

Like I said, a lot of $$$ and planning is going into underdelveloped space in Vancouver.

I wonder who owns the piece of land behind the Mediterranian market on Venables?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #72
My homepage has been set to RS

40‰ drop is too drastic. If it hit 20% boc and govt is sure to step in. I melt down of real estate will be bad for economy overall. A correction maybe not so and will be justified.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #73
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Anybody who is considering should go over this document very carefully:
https://vancouver.ca/docs/sefc/offic...pment-plan.pdf

The area is going to be a dramatically different place as of late 2014 when most of the buildings in this phase are complete, but you want to make sure you are clear with what it will look like!

Mark
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #74
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
No that's the travelling I've done plus 3 months in London this year alone

South Florida has a bunch of liveable cities, you should go visit.
Travelling to a city for work when you're housed up in a hotel and are living on an expense account is completely different than living in a city. South Florida is great if you're retired and have investments to fund your lifestyle, but it sucks if you're young and have to support yourself. In fact, South Florida is what Vancouver will be in 30 years if there is no focus on drawing capital and investment here. And the Black Sea? Sure it's nice to visit, but look at the countries surrounding it - Ukraine, Turkey, Georgia, Romania, etc. All of these countries may be nice to visit and be good to stay for a short period of time if you are in a position of privilege, but I would argue that your average Joe is way better off in Vancouver than in say Odessa.

I'd love to buy a detached house in Metro Vancouver, but the economy has changed. You need to be mobile and be willing to leave on a moment's notice for the next job.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #75
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Travelling to a city for work when you're housed up in a hotel and are living on an expense account is completely different than living in a city. South Florida is great if you're retired and have investments to fund your lifestyle, but it sucks if you're young and have to support yourself. In fact, South Florida is what Vancouver will be in 30 years if there is no focus on drawing capital and investment here.
Having been to S. Florida for vacy and knowing people there, it's not as nice as people make it out to be. The crime/murder rate is pretty high there. Step into the wrong neighbourhood and it is almost as bad as Compton.

Driving along the highway, you will see a lot of boarded up buildings and run down crack shacks a few minutes from the beach. Remember the hotel scene in Slum Dog Millionaire? There is a big hotel that went under and is all boarded up right on the beach.

Oh yeah, and when it is huricanne season, you don't want to be living in S. Florida.

But like what Tapioca said. Short term work or vacay doesn't give you the full spectrum of what living in that place is like.

I always enjoy my visits to Hong Kong, but I don't think I would enjoy living/working there in the summer when it is hot and humid or when the typhoons hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote