REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #2601
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Either that or it's working really well!!!
and that might be the part of the problem with the world's current political climate / landscape
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #2602
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
maybe so... i live in mainland Europe nowadays, though.

i don't need to agree with ppl, but everyone has to realize things like vancouver being best city in the world (liek we hear from everyone in vancouver, but few outside of it) is just that, opinion. a lot of ppl leave for their own reasons.

i won't argue that vancouver is beautiful, relatively clean (it's not that clean, most european cities are cleaner as they are so car unfriendly in downtown and utilize transit more), safe, and a VERY easy life - but i want more from my life... i'll come back to vnacouver for part of the year when i retire, it's perfect for that, raising a family, yes, being a professional that yearns to be a 1%er, terrible place.
Mainland Europe is kind of vague don't you think? I travel to Rouen France quite often, you at least close to France?

You're right, for raising a family (if income is not an issue) then Van is the best at least for me. For the guy with even a speck of motivation to make dough, sucks balls. Of course there are exceptions but I'm just saying its much easier elsewhere even without networks, why put yourself in a higher chance of failure?
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #2603
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
In your opinion. In my profession, people are leaving Vancouver in droves, that speaks volumes to me.
quit your job and be a real man
m4_hung is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #2604
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
I assume you are looking at the city in the park neighbourhood? I have relatives who live there with a young child and they say it's great place to live. However they did suffer a pipe burst but since your renting it shouldn't matter!

Anyone else read the employment stats for July? The number of people working in construction dropped by 42,200 in July and employment in health care and social assistance was down by 28,500, Statscan reported. Those two are Vancouver's biggest industries.. NKC ONE you might be getting your real estate plans ahead of schedule...
City in the park?!? That's new to me... I have been away from BC for 3 years... so I need some education on that.

I'm looking at a few newer developments near Edmonds Skytrain. IMO the location is great (easy access to Van, Coquitlam, Surrey, Richmond... etc and no hills) and have enough convenience (Metrotown is 5min drive and has everything I can possibly need to buy on a regular basis) and no need for bridge to get to Van.

And price isn't totally outrageous comparing to Van or Metrotown.

I'm just wondering how's the school around that area? considering my son would eventually return to Canada for school, this would probably be the deciding factor.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #2605

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
for a lot of people, it's not as easy to get up and leave. there's a lot of social and cultural issues to be aware of. and sometimes it's not about the money. sure other places you can make more money, but they say as long as you make above X dollars money doesnt make you that much happier. you can compare with china - and their corruption and pollution and their culture, or you can compare with other western countries. maybe you just prefer canadian culture instead of british culture. lots of other non-monetary issues.

ill take myself as an example. for me, i could easily find jobs now at my age in other provinces and make more (or less). ild say it's relatively easy for me to move within Canada. and i also have some friends or relatives in other provinces.

I grew up ghetto and poor as fck so I wouldn't be able to move to say Europe or US as I dont have any connections. and it's also a big risk to get up and go as I have no social networks in those other places. I'ld be on my own. In vancouver, I have lots of friends and family that can assist and support me.

I would like to move to other countries but in all honestly, it's too risky for me. Unless I can secure the job before I go there, there's no way I would take that chance. A lot of people value security: for work, for friends, for their families.

Is Van the perfect place? I've lived in other cities in other provinces in Canada and I can only compare Vancouver to those other cities. and for me, Vancouver is better due to climate and friends and family. But other cities in the world I have no clue, sure ive visited them as a tourist, but thats like seeing the best parts of the city.
You sound like a guy that prefers security and clams than to take risks. I can respect that as there's nothing wrong about it. There are a lot of words that you use such as, "its too risky, unless I can secure, there's no way I would take that chance," etc. There are two types of people in this world, employees and employers. Both have their pros and cons.

You see, there's nothing wrong about you staying in Van and being happy as long as you're happy with your wages. My comments were targeted to people who are risk-takers and would prefer to do business than to work for someone. You seem like you're in the right place for what you enjoy; climate, friends and family. Those are the things that I love the most about Van too.

Sometimes moving out of the Country to work is not about wages at all. At times you'll get lower wages like when I first moved back to HK ($7000hkd=$985/month cad) for the first 2 years. It sucked balls but I was able to learn a lot about trading products from China. That experience has helped me start, build and grow my own business 3 years later. I did have some family in HK (which I don't see often) but after rent, expenses, etc I was dead broke in less than 1.5 years, I thought I failed. Who can really blame me with $7000hkd/mth in wages and $3500hkd/mth in rent and that was pretty cheap for even back then. I drained out all the savings I had when I worked in Van. Lost a lot of money in trading stocks too which is what a lot of HKer's do. Looked at my wife (just gf back then) and said, sorry I had to bring you through this. She wouldn't have moved back if it wasn't for me. She hates HK with a passion. She had a higher paying job at Poly-U doing Bio-chem research. I had to borrow money from her just so we could eat together.

So after about 2 years of employment in HK, I decided to stop and take another risk. At that time I was heavily into golf. Although broke, I still managed to golf in China lol, the cheapest of the cheap course (longgang public) for those of you who know it. I decided to just say fuck it, I'm leaving back to Van (which imo is also the best place to golf) for 3 months and I'm going to train for my CGTF certification. I had no intention to teach golf but it was the best way for me to lower my handicap strategically within a very tight time frame. I wanted to get real good at this game and I did. I left my wife in HK to continue to work and I flew back to van and for 3 months, I stayed at my friend's place and drove his car to practice daily. That friend is my best friend, my best man and the godfather of my son.

During the 3 months of training in Van. I had a clear perspective of what I had to do. I needed to go back to HK/China and give it my all. I can't just give up after 2 years and call it quits. I can do better. There's no possible way that I quit taking risk at the age 25. So I passed my CGTF (first in class) and flew right back to HK. Mind you, money was all I cared about during my mid 20's. I didn't have a clue about family as I've lost mine since I had a memory. I couldn't care less where I lived, what I had to do, or how long it took but my goal was set on 1 thing, make boat loads of money or die trying.

I used my experiences, resources, friends, and family, gathered up a small start-up fund (roughly $100k Cad) and opened a factory in Shenzhen China. The rest is history.

Working in another place is about experiencing another culture and having the chance to compare with your own. If you've never lived/worked in another place, then how can you really say that Van is the best? I've lived/worked in 6 different countries since I was born and for my criteria, nothing even comes close to Van.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #2606
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
and that might be the part of the problem with the world's current political climate / landscape
I think arguing about political issue is lame. People find ways around it. Or better yet, take your money/presence elsewhere.

I don't like Canada's protectionism on their industries one bit. So I don't invest in Canada at all. I invest elsewhere and give back to Canada in form of taxes and my expenses that stimulate Canadian economy, because I love living in Canada. The day that Canada pisses me off with their laws, I'd just move to a country where I find their law and environment suitable.

IMHO, the problem is not about the 1%... the problem is that the remaining 99% want the life of 1% but not willing to sacrifice as much. If one can't determine to do what it takes to become the 1%, then don't complain how 1% and their heirs are taking more and more from them.

My parents are in the 1%... but they didn't simply give me their shit so I can become one... they only taught me how I can become an 1% one day and I am working my ass off to do it. They did help with their knowledge so I didn't have to repeat some of their mistakes... but there is no easy way to reach it unless you win the lottery. Heck, even for that you'd need to buy the fucking ticket in the first place.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #2607

Quote:
also, you think i'm blinded? i lived in vancouver for over 15 years. unlike most people, i have been fortunte to live around the world, so whilst vnacouver is a fine place, for me, i want more, way more.

personally, i find southern california way more beautiful and a way better place to live. seattle also has the same climate, but a way better economy, and a great social scene.

usually when people have to keep on telling themselves something ('best place on earth'), it's because they're insecure.
I grew up in Van for roughly 13 years and I've also been fortunate enough to live/work around the world. (San Fran, Ojai, Chicago, Van, HK, Shenzhen, Shanghai, France, Reunion Island, and Mauritius). These do not include the places I've traveled to.

Personally, I do not find SoCal way more beautiful and a way better place to live. I've lived in (Ojai Valley) and near So Cal (San Francisco) for 3 years before I went to Van. I do agree they have a way better economy as any other place compared to Van, roughly the same climate, but not a great social scene.

I keep telling myself that Van is the best place on earth because my goal in life is to be able to retire at the age of 35 in Vancouver and raise my family. If that's insecurity to you then we'll agree to disagree.

I think your hold back on Van is because you're not Asian, just an assumption 4444, please don't take offence. As white washed as I am, I'm still very traditionally Chinese. I like my chinese tea, my yum cha, the food, the supermarkets, and sometimes even the Chinese people. For me Van has the best of both worlds. Its gives me the variety of great food (pho, jap, kor, chinese, etc), great cultures mixed together, and best of all, excellent summers for golf and winters for snowboarding, all within an hour drive. Friends I grew up with are still here and are not as complicated as the ones I keep in HK. Simpler place, simpler friends. My family loves it here, my wife's family is here, and basically anywhere else is a better place to live than HK (even if you have money).
Old 08-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #2608
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
My parents are in the 1%... but they didn't simply give me their shit so I can become one...
you don't have the charming seeds

Last edited by m4_hung; 08-09-2014 at 07:49 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #2609

Quote:
IMHO, the problem is not about the 1%... the problem is that the remaining 99% want the life of 1% but not willing to sacrifice as much. If one can't determine to do what it takes to become the 1%, then don't complain how 1% and their heirs are taking more and more from them.

My parents are in the 1%... but they didn't simply give me their shit so I can become one... they only taught me how I can become an 1% one day and I am working my ass off to do it. They did help with their knowledge so I didn't have to repeat some of their mistakes... but there is no easy way to reach it unless you win the lottery. Heck, even for that you'd need to buy the fucking ticket in the first place.
My sloppy research shows that the 1% starts at roughly $200k annual income pre tax in Canada. If people want to become and live like the 1%, what are you doing now to achieve that goal? Are you making $50k, $100k, $150k? What are your plans to make that other step to put you in a whole new income bracket? And even at $200k, we're just talking about the starting wage, that's like those car commercials that says this new BMW is starting at $29,998. The average 1%er is at roughly $380k. That's the goal to reach if you want to be a 1%er. We haven't even touched the importance of net worth yet. Its pointless if you earn $380k and spend all of it within that year. Sound impossible? Look at all those lottery winners or athletes that go bankrupt.

People just want to get rich but never plan to get rich. They plan about what they'll buy when they do get rich but don't plan the path of how to get rich. Like what Hehe said, you gotta at least buy a lottery ticket in order to have a chance to win. Sadly not a lot of people buy but a lot of people dream about winning.

My separated parents use to be in the top 1% but near went bankrupt after my high school years. Had the opportunity to grow up both rich and poor and has helped motivate my aggressive goals in life. If you've never truly been hungry all your life, would you go and hunt for food?
Old 08-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #2610
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKC ONE View Post
My sloppy research shows that the 1% starts at roughly $200k annual income pre tax in Canada. If people want to become and live like the 1%, what are you doing now to achieve that goal?
Making $ is like farming.

you start/own a business plant your seed to the right people grow your reputation whatever business you're in come back and pick the best crops and watch your $$$$$ harvest
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #2611
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
My sloppy research shows that the 1% starts at roughly $200k annual income pre tax in Canada. If people want to become and live like the 1%, what are you doing now to achieve that goal? Are you making $50k, $100k, $150k? What are your plans to make that other step to put you in a whole new income bracket? And even at $200k, we're just talking about the starting wage, that's like those car commercials that says this new BMW is starting at $29,998. The average 1%er is at roughly $380k. That's the goal to reach if you want to be a 1%er. We haven't even touched the importance of net worth yet. Its pointless if you earn $380k and spend all of it within that year. Sound impossible? Look at all those lottery winners or athletes that go bankrupt.

People just want to get rich but never plan to get rich. They plan about what they'll buy when they do get rich but don't plan the path of how to get rich. Like what Hehe said, you gotta at least buy a lottery ticket in order to have a chance to win. Sadly not a lot of people buy but a lot of people dream about winning.

My separated parents use to be in the top 1% but near went bankrupt after my high school years. Had the opportunity to grow up both rich and poor and has helped motivate my aggressive goals in life. If you've never truly been hungry all your life, would you go and hunt for food?
Must have sucked to go from rich to poor but it gave you more motivation as you learned about money a lot faster as a young adult. I went from poor up to around gr.10 to reasonably rich growing up. My parents worked 14hour days 7 days a week for 14 years and we didnt have much as they put every spare dollar paying down the business loan. Although I was sad that I never got a PS2 it sure taught me that money isnt easy to get, especially for new immigrants.

If one is gung ho for a salary job with benefits blah blah then they must also face the reality that have to be content with what they have. Salary jobs will never give you the pay growth you need to buy that Ferrari unless you make senior management with stock options, which of course Vancouver lacks.

I travelled a lot (especially the united states) and I too can conclude that Vancouver is the best place for me. I hate the east coast (shit weather, more poverty, toll roads, too far from asia, etc)

Last edited by noclue; 08-09-2014 at 08:46 PM.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #2612
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
City in the park?!? That's new to me... I have been away from BC for 3 years... so I need some education on that.

I'm looking at a few newer developments near Edmonds Skytrain. IMO the location is great (easy access to Van, Coquitlam, Surrey, Richmond... etc and no hills) and have enough convenience (Metrotown is 5min drive and has everything I can possibly need to buy on a regular basis) and no need for bridge to get to Van.

And price isn't totally outrageous comparing to Van or Metrotown.

I'm just wondering how's the school around that area? considering my son would eventually return to Canada for school, this would probably be the deciding factor.
Apparently the elementary schools in the area is decent but the high school blows so my relatives plan on sending their child to either moscrop secondary school or private.

Edmonds is a good neighbourhood IMO, away from kingsway street, downtown is 30min via skytrain. Have you looked into brentwood? IMO that has a bit more potential.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #2613
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Must have sucked to go from rich to poor but it gave you more motivation as you learned about money a lot faster as a young adult
its not how much you make its what you keep
Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #2614
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I watched a documentary on people in HK that rent basically "cages" to live in.

I cried
after 2 years, you're still at $0?
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4_hung View Post
quit your job and be a real man
Wot?

I think we have a new troll in town.

I don't have a job, I have a career - big difference. Notice the word profession, not industry.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #2616
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Wot?

I think we have a new troll in town.

I don't have a job, I have a career - big difference. Notice the word profession, not industry.
don't be a bitch and work for others

be a man and start your own business
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #2617

Quote:
I grew up in Van for roughly 13 years and I've also been fortunate enough to live/work around the world. (San Fran, Ojai, Chicago, Van, HK, Shenzhen, Shanghai, France, Reunion Island, and Mauritius). These do not include the places I've traveled to.

Personally, I do not find SoCal way more beautiful and a way better place to live. I've lived in (Ojai Valley) and near So Cal (San Francisco) for 3 years before I went to Van. I do agree they have a way better economy as any other place compared to Van, roughly the same climate, but not a great social scene.

I keep telling myself that Van is the best place on earth because my goal in life is to be able to retire at the age of 35 in Vancouver and raise my family. If that's insecurity to you then we'll agree to disagree.

I think your hold back on Van is because you're not Asian, just an assumption 4444, please don't take offence. As white washed as I am, I'm still very traditionally Chinese. I like my chinese tea, my yum cha, the food, the supermarkets, and sometimes even the Chinese people. For me Van has the best of both worlds. Its gives me the variety of great food (pho, jap, kor, chinese, etc), great cultures mixed together, and best of all, excellent summers for golf and winters for snowboarding, all within an hour drive. Friends I grew up with are still here and are not as complicated as the ones I keep in HK. Simpler place, simpler friends. My family loves it here, my wife's family is here, and basically anywhere else is a better place to live than HK (even if you have money).
I think it's all about personal preference, but know San Fran is not that much like so. Cal.

So. Cal and no. Cal are very different. I wouldn't want to live in no. Cal particularity.

U see, exactly what u have said and what u have done defines Vancouver as not the best place in the world, u want to retire in van, I get that entirely, great place to retire, great place to bring up kids. But could u have retired in van at 35 had u stayed in van for ur career? This is the big difference between having the beauty, cleanliness, safety, and being the best place on earth.

And ur right, I'm not Asian, but I've lived around the world, my partner is Asian (first gen Asian), I have no problem with a multi cultural society, I embrace it. I love the food, I enjoy the culture. I don't enjoy being feeling unwelcome in a country which I have assimilated in (I.e. Richmond), but that's the government's fault, u can't blame the immigrants for taking the path of least resistance (maintaining their Chinese ways in the Chinese dominated parts of the city, that now make up more and more of the city).

Again, for me, it's about being able to have a great profession, a career that I enjoy, daily challenges that make my brain work hard. I didn't have that in Vancouver, I have that now.

And, yes, when I retire at 50 (I'll be financially independent at 41, per my calcs, but figure I will continue working for longer for my own reasons), I'll have a spot in Vancouver, one in so cal, one in Europe, and one in Asia

I've never said Vancouver is bad, it's not. It's just not the whole package, few places are, but also, few places constantly bang on about it with license plates, vancity buzz articles, government ads on the tele, and the zombiesque attitude of its residents.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #2618

Quote:
don't be a bitch and work for others

be a man and start your own business
I'm not even going to bother with u.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #2619

Quote:
its not how much you make its what you keep
Even though u appear to be a troll, this is an amazing piece of advice to ppl. One that needs to be heeded to.

Everyone has the capability to retain 10-50% if their take home. Do that from an early age, retire wealthy, younger, and with greater security (it also eliminates the need to ever own real estate, and is easier when u don't as ur net funds, post rent, will be greater - I could prove this with calcs, but I don't want to, I've already done it for myself, so do it for urselves)
Old 08-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #2620
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Even though u appear to be a troll, this is an amazing piece of advice to ppl. One that needs to be heeded to.

Everyone has the capability to retain 10-50% if their take home. Do that from an early age, retire wealthy, younger, and with greater security (it also eliminates the need to ever own real estate, and is easier when u don't as ur net funds, post rent, will be greater - I could prove this with calcs, but I don't want to, I've already done it for myself, so do it for urselves)
I know how $ works
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #2621

Quote:
I know how $ works
I know how you're gonna get banned soon.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #2622
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I know how you're gonna get banned soon.
who cares 99% of the people here are poor and work a job/career

where is the 1%?
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #2623

Quote:
who cares 99% of the people here are poor and work a job/career

where is the 1%?
I have no idea why I will entertain your posts but you sir are an idiot. The 99% are the people I see everyday. I call these people my family and best friends and I care dearly about them. I couldn't seriously care less about entertaining the 1%. If some of my advice/ideas can help motivate even a stranger to see different perspectives, I'm happy, just like how 4444 has helped me find a solution to my current problem thru his constant reminders/facts that renting is better than buying right now in Van. Why does he do it? Because he wants to educate and have some sort of constructive arguments so you can try to prove him wrong. We're all stubborn in a way but its advantageous to see from different angles no matter how smart or dumb you are.

You seem to claim that you're financially successful and sit nicely on the 1% club, does mommy and daddy know you're still on the internet at this time of the night?

Sorry for feeding the troll guys.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 12:49 AM   #2624
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I have no idea why I will entertain your posts but you sir are an idiot. The 99% are the people I see everyday. I call these people my family and best friends and I care dearly about them. I couldn't seriously care less about entertaining the 1%. If some of my advice/ideas can help motivate even a stranger to see different perspectives, I'm happy, just like how 4444 has helped me find a solution to my current problem thru his constant reminders/facts that renting is better than buying right now in Van. Why does he do it? Because he wants to educate and have some sort of constructive arguments so you can try to prove him wrong. We're all stubborn in a way but its advantageous to see from different angles no matter how smart or dumb you are.

You seem to claim that you're financially successful and sit nicely on the 1% club, does mommy and daddy know you're still on the internet at this time of the night?

4444 isn't even rich why listen to him, he sucks his boss's dick at work to feed his family
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #2625

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:

He's a 1%'er. This is probably his bulter that is posting on his behalf.

1%'ers dont have time to browse local car forums
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: