REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #2701
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I used to live at 60th and Victoria over a decade ago, that neighborhood was full of gangs and dickheads

Going to the 7-11 on 50th and Victoria at night was dangerous, got my ass kicked twice!

Maybe it's cleaned up now but the neighborhood doesn't exactly look very nice. A lot of dumpy houses, shitty cars, and not exactly very good to walk anywhere. Any bike lanes nearby?

I'd say 3 million is... fucking insane for that place!!!
Advertisement
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #2702
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
The North Arm Trail Greenway (bike lane + pedestrian walkway) cuts right through that area. The intersection and area immediately next to the said 7-11 is a bit ghetto, but the houses that are hidden on the side streets are supposed to be quite nice.

But still... not $3M nice.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #2703
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I used to live at 60th and Victoria over a decade ago, that neighborhood was full of gangs and dickheads

Going to the 7-11 on 50th and Victoria at night was dangerous, got my ass kicked twice!

Maybe it's cleaned up now but the neighborhood doesn't exactly look very nice. A lot of dumpy houses, shitty cars, and not exactly very good to walk anywhere. Any bike lanes nearby?

Lived in that neighborhood for about 15 years and I don't have nearly the same experience. We just sold our place last year and honestly, while the area's been great early on, the last five or so years has been horrible.

With real estate prices skyrocketing, all the new comers now need (illegal) rental suites to afford their homes. Parking's been horrific because tenants across the street are parking in front of our lawn. More people just contributes to more problems (hit and run being one of them, and I was almost a victim once).

GL on the $3m price tag. That house better be decked out with 24karat gold bath tubs or something. Our land size was slightly smaller but with an older house of course (around 25-30yrs) and we sold for roughly half that. Newer houses around the same size are selling under 2M.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #2704
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
That can't be the right price... I can see it asking for just over $2M.

The land itself is assessed at $1M. There's no way the price of the house + "markup" is another $2M.

That house looks totally overbuilt for that neighbourhood. It sticks out in a bad way.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #2705
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post

This area is further down. Fraserview drive area is nice and lined with some nice homes. Plus they're view lots and some of the homes have pretty amazing views of Richmond. Not West Vancouver type view lots but still nice.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #2706
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKC ONE View Post
So guys I'm still having difficulties finding a place to rent in Richmond. I've looked at CL and asked some agents but no luck so far. Could someone PM me if they have a better way to find what I need. Would be very helpful to me.

Basic requirements:
-Townhouse or house
-Will allow 3 (very well mannered) Huskies
-2 car (side by side) garage
-In Richmond
-Has fenced backyard
-Budget under $3500
-Can start renting anytime

Will put down a higher pet deposit and prepay 6mths rent in advanced if need be. Will write an agreement to repair/replace anything that is damaged by the dogs ie grass, carpet etc. Price really isn't an issue, just need to find the right place for my family to live till we find a right place to buy. Will rent for roughly 2-5 years to wait for market correction, currency fluctuations, and teardown/building time.

where ever you go, stay the hell away from the area between Cambie and Alderbridge, west to Shell road.

how this area is even approved for residential, I have no clue.
Giant planes landing every 15min, all the way to 1am~2am.
when a planes fly over your house, with windows open, you cannot hear what the person sitting next to you is saying.
Summer time, you better have AC, cuz you cannot open windows.

there are couple of low rise condos going up near new Walmart, I feel bad for ppl who bought it.
good thing i'm only renting, you can bet i'll be GTFO there as soon as rent is up.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #2707

if they land every 15mins, how could you not know what you were getting into
Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #2708
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
where ever you go, stay the hell away from the area between Cambie and Alderbridge, west to Shell road.

how this area is even approved for residential, I have no clue.
Giant planes landing every 15min, all the way to 1am~2am.
when a planes fly over your house, with windows open, you cannot hear what the person sitting next to you is saying.
Summer time, you better have AC, cuz you cannot open windows.

there are couple of low rise condos going up near new Walmart, I feel bad for ppl who bought it.
good thing i'm only renting, you can bet i'll be GTFO there as soon as rent is up.
This is totally exaggerated. I lived at the #4 and Cambie area for two decades and had no issue. There are airplanes yes but really but after a few months you barely notice it. It is jarring for those who are not used to it hearing it for the first time though.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #2709

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
That can't be the right price... I can see it asking for just over $2M.

The land itself is assessed at $1M. There's no way the price of the house + "markup" is another $2M.

That house looks totally overbuilt for that neighbourhood. It sticks out in a bad way.
Welcome to the new Canadian dream

Did anyone read about that leaked gov document that basically said that Canada is fucking itself over with its economy? Something like that, I'll try to find the link a little later.

edit:
from http://vancouvercondo.info/
take with a grain of salt, as with all media

The middle class is doomed.

You may have heard of that internal Conservative Government report on the middle class prepared by Employment and Social Development Canada even though it was never released.

The Canadian Press used the Access to Information Act to get a copy and it’s mostly remarkable due to some of its blunt take-aways:

“The market does not reward middle-income families so well,” says the report. “As a result, they get an increasingly smaller share of the earnings pie” compared with higher-income families.

The report also refers to debt, saying “many in the middle spend more than they earn, mortgaging their future to sustain their current consumption.”

“Over the medium term, middle-income Canadians are unlikely to move to higher income brackets, i.e., the ‘Canadian dream’ is a myth more than a reality.”

Well it turns out that there’s another way to look at the same data, as Finance Canada has just done.

“Their analysis arrives at conclusions — namely that middle-income families have stagnant wages, are unlikely to move to higher income groups, and are increasingly indebted — which appear to conflict with the general message in Budget 2014 and previous internal briefings,” says an accompanying briefing note for Oliver.

The new report points out that moving from single earner to double earner households as more women have joined the workforce has acted to keep the middle class afloat.

The Finance Canada report estimates about 70 per cent of the increase in middle-class household incomes since the mid-1990s can be attributed to higher workforce participation rates, primarily by women workers.

“There is no second wave of women, spouses, entering the workforce,” said New Democrat MP Nathan Cullen, the opposition’s finance critic.

Of course the MP is being overly pessimistic without cause, there’s an obvious next wave of income for households and it doesn’t require polygamy.

The children are our future.

It’s time for Canada to get in line with global economic trends and fully utilize the productivity of the available workforce. We have a large population of potential workers that remain untapped.

Instead of wasting tax dollars and time in school, children could be gaining valuable experience cleaning homes, mining coal or any number of other jobs to help support the household. Lets not squander this bright future opportunity, let’s put the kids to work!

Last edited by 4444; 09-06-2014 at 02:05 AM.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #2710
Banned (ABWS)

This city blows anyways.
rgaishadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #2711

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgaishadah View Post
This city blows anyways.
if you dislike it, do something about it.

i can complain about vancouver as i did something about it and moved
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-06-2014, 04:19 AM   #2712
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

And I had to move somewhere else to appreciate how great Vancouver really is.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #2713
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
This is totally exaggerated. I lived at the #4 and Cambie area for two decades and had no issue. There are airplanes yes but really but after a few months you barely notice it. It is jarring for those who are not used to it hearing it for the first time though.

Ive been here since Jan this year, not gonna get used this

Maybe not so much your area...
This is just out side my door at 11pm
Located between 4 and gardencity
This one is considered not the worst, plane wasnt big one
Probably 737.
When i say big, i dont mean 747 big, i mean 767 two engine big and loud enough to drive me nuts.

I dont know how anyone can put up with this much noise every 15-30mn at night.
After 12ish when passinger lines stop, then comes the fedex and DHLs throughout 1am 2am.
Not as frequently but still....
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #2714
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #2715

Last thing I'd want is to live in a construction zone in building 1 as buildings 2, 3, 4 etc go up.

Most ppl won't buy financial options or even equities as they say it's "rigged" or not a physical asset, so they buy real estate. But prebuild a are options contracts the same as a call or put on aapl is.. We live in a dangerous financial world for the financially undereducated
Old 09-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #2716

There's several condo buildings being built around the Brentwood area already. Hard to imagine people will buy into it when they know that traffic in a few years will become unbearable.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2014, 01:38 AM   #2717
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

the traffic on lougheed is already terrible. few years ago i recall making a left onto lougheed from boundary. it took almost half an hour to get to willingdon

WTF WAS I THINKING????
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #2718
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
Ive been here since Jan this year, not gonna get used this

Rbc - YouTube

Maybe not so much your area...
This is just out side my door at 11pm
Located between 4 and gardencity
This one is considered not the worst, plane wasnt big one
Probably 737.
When i say big, i dont mean 747 big, i mean 767 two engine big and loud enough to drive me nuts.

I dont know how anyone can put up with this much noise every 15-30mn at night.
After 12ish when passinger lines stop, then comes the fedex and DHLs throughout 1am 2am.
Not as frequently but still....
It has been a plane route since the early 90's. What do you expect ? If you think that's bad, go more north in the bridgeport area. That's why before the pre - olympic boom, no one wanted to live in your area. Notice how the houses in your city block that are being demolished are 40+ year old houses ? There's not much 20 year old houses in that garden city/ 4 road / alderbridge / cambie block. This means, it just was not a desirable place to live back then. That land is marshy as well. We had an old family friend that a had a house with a 10 degree tilt on their house.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #2719
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post

if you're ugly and short man, you may have to work 9-5 real hard to get it.

If you're stud, you can get a chick to purchase one for you
alphaspec1mens is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #2720
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
There's several condo buildings being built around the Brentwood area already. Hard to imagine people will buy into it when they know that traffic in a few years will become unbearable.
it's much more cost-effective to rent a $500/month basement suite or live at home for free and still continuously bring in hot chicks
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #2721
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaspec1mens View Post
it's much more cost-effective to rent a $500/month basement suite or live at home for free and still continuously bring in hot chicks
while making $25/hr?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #2722
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
while making $25/hr?
force your gf/wife to go work 9-5

parent's have millions of cash sitting around and never needed to show gf chicks I had $

living at home and not purchasing saves tons of money

Last edited by alphaspec1mens; 09-08-2014 at 07:20 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #2723
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts

you didn't just put a dog in a washing machine did you?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #2724
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
the traffic on lougheed is already terrible. few years ago i recall making a left onto lougheed from boundary. it took almost half an hour to get to willingdon

WTF WAS I THINKING????
It's just about to get worse. It looks like there's going to be a new traffic light at Alpha St and Lougheed (just east of Willingdon). Couldn't planners just think to use the lower Skytrain station as a pedestrian overpass over Lougheed?

I live in the area and the increase in traffic lights in the area is a headache. The "old new" one just west of Willingdon (east of Rosser) to me seems so unnecessary. You're telling me that people living in Vantage or the West side of SOLO can't walk half a block to Willingdon/Rosser to cross the street? Driving Lougheed between Delta and Boundary is a nightmare nowadays. I'm all for creating a pedestrian-friendly area, but the new lights seems like overkill.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #2725
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaspec1mens View Post
force your gf/wife to go work 9-5

parent's have millions of cash sitting around and never needed to show gf chicks I had $

living at home and not purchasing saves tons of money
Can someone just ban this fucking idiot already?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: