REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #3026
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
We are currently renting but it's time to settle in for a house. No way we will spend $3000 on rent.

With our budget and the current market, we definitely cannot afford van/bby/rich. Coquitlam, New West, and North Van seem to be reasonable.

Perhaps the better question is what websites do you use to find out new listings and settled prices? And can we just assume the bank rates for mortgages are indicative of what we going to actually get?
don't be offended or take this the wrong way, but based on your last few posts, you should NOT be buying a house anytime soon.

You seem so very uneducated on the whole house buying experience. what websites to look at? WTF? are you serious? Your questions are soo newb, bank rates for mortgages are indicative of what we are going to actually get?

you seem to have no clue on the REAL costs of home ownership at all. you really seem like those typical house horny people I often see in Real estate that just want to buy without knowing enough about the market.

you'r getting your BASIC real estate info on a car forum?

maybe you should re-read this thread or do some google research.

to help you out, you should really consider your employment stability, long term goals, real costs of ownership (property taxes, maintenance, utilities etc). how about if say you are on dual income, what happens if one of you gets laid off? or what happens if real estate goes down 10%? there's lots of factors to consider. if you get laid off, would you be okay if sell your house for a 10% lost? have you considered the cost of that child you want to have?

for example, lets say you work in the oil rigs in AB and now work is not as consistent as in the last 5 years. would you still be able to make those mortgage payments? what if the same thing happened at your company that you didnt see coming.

you should spend a lot time researching before buying a house. most prudent people, including myself, look at the market for awhile before finding the right house. it takes months and even years in my case.

there are people on here saying you gotta act quick before it gets snatched up, but for all we know they have vested interests. I see lots of properties sitting on the market for months on MLS. (realtor.ca). 2014 was a hot year, but whose to say 2015 will continue? theres always good deals out there if you are patient and look. if you buy on emotion it could prove costly. make sure you analyze your scenarios before you jump into any major decisions in your life.

House buying is going to be a huge decision, you are signing away an obligation to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the next 25 years +.

Why dont you go around and look at open houses just to see what you can afford in your price range. go talk to a loan officer or mortgage broker to see what you can afford. Do some research. look at mortgage calculators online. Talk to realtors to let you know how the buying process works.

however, one thing to keep in mind is these people in the industry have a vested interest, which is for you to BUY, so please keep that in mind.

Seriously you sound so uneducated on all these topics that I really suggest you not buy anything anytime soon.
Advertisement
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #3027
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Also, buy what u can afford, not what a mortgage idiot says u are approved for!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #3028
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Also, buy what u can afford, not what a mortgage idiot says u are approved for!
This. Banks will over-approve, mercilessly leading many people into the trap of getting in way over their head.

When the bank told me how much I was approved for I just about shit myself, and then bought something for about 1/3 that amount.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #3029

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/va...130418917.html

The highest housing and everyday living costs combined with the lowest median income in Canada is a deadly combination. There is nothing auspicious about the state of RE in Vancouver. With the provincial and municipal governments desperately needing more money for everything as many critical governmental agencies are running deficits, the cost of living are surely only going to go up in Vancouver.

At the end of the day, you need good jobs with good income to support the gargantuan housing costs; and Vancouver just isn't a fertile ground that attract a lot of innovative business. The plethora of businesses we have are mostly centered around resources extraction which are is in a major slump given how far commodity prices have dropped this year, and it doesn't appear these companies will get any respite due the structural slowdown in China which is their biggest customer for the past decade.

Moving to burbs doesn't get to the root of the problem as you have to contend with the extra travel time and stress. Allan Pulga made the right decision and that is to: Move.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #3030
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I have compiled some data from the real estate board for detached house and apartment units of the major region in GVRD.

In general for 2014, listings to sold ratio are apparently getting higher which i believe transaction has been slowing down, and some places on the MLS I have been speculating were dropped by $5,000 to $10,000 and were still on the market for more than 100 days. AND some properties were even re-listed with another MLS number to reset the "list on market day" back to zero (Correct me if realtors are able to do this ?)

However, if you pay attention to Port Coquitlam detached house graph. The ratio is high throughout the year. Homeowner were forced to move to the east for more affordable detached properties.

Please take your time to visit below URL for more other resourceful data:
Listed vs Sold | Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #3031
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/va...130418917.html

The highest housing and everyday living costs combined with the lowest median income in Canada is a deadly combination. There is nothing auspicious about the state of RE in Vancouver. With the provincial and municipal governments desperately needing more money for everything as many critical governmental agencies are running deficits, the cost of living are surely only going to go up in Vancouver.

At the end of the day, you need good jobs with good income to support the gargantuan housing costs; and Vancouver just isn't a fertile ground that attract a lot of innovative business. The plethora of businesses we have are mostly centered around resources extraction which are is in a major slump given how far commodity prices have dropped this year, and it doesn't appear these companies will get any respite due the structural slowdown in China which is their biggest customer for the past decade.

Moving to burbs doesn't get to the root of the problem as you have to contend with the extra travel time and stress. Allan Pulga made the right decision and that is to: Move.
Lol! The author moved to Regina for Lower cost of living? How about lower desirable living? I would live in a 500sq ft apt in van all day long before living in a 4000sq ft house in Regina.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #3032

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Again, as I and many others have said, people need to stop defining themselves by their home ownership. Live where you want to live, being a homeowner is not the be all and end all measure of success in the world as we were brought up to believe.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #3033
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Again, as I and many others have said, people need to stop defining themselves by their home ownership. Live where you want to live, being a homeowner is not the be all and end all measure of success in the world as we were brought up to believe.
then what is? being happy? hahahaha
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #3034
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

This comes down to the basis of capitalism. Those who own properties and who doesn't.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #3035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
Lol! The author moved to Regina for Lower cost of living? How about lower desirable living? I would live in a 500sq ft apt in van all day long before living in a 4000sq ft house in Regina.
Between desirability and affordability, I'd rather have smaller mortgage payments as I can save more and invest more, as well as a bigger accommodation for the children and their friends to come over. He went to Saskatchewan but that's his choice. He could've gone south of the boarder which would've been my first choice.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #3036
Banned (ABWS)

If I told you guys that I had a great investment where you would be guaranteed amazing returns and all you had to do was invite others to join the investment you would call me a ponzi fraud artist. This is Vancouver real estate at the moment. Price growth relies on hype, money from new buyers/foreign cash and is dramatically outpacing household income and other basic fundamentals. Highest housing prices with the lowest average household incomes in Canada. If that still adds up to you then something is wrong.

I'm currently living in Hong Kong right now and with President Xi cracking down on corruption, the Chinese money is going to stop flowing (they're even afraid to take vacations right now). The people who are gonna get left in tatters when the low interest rates end are the ones that bought into the realtor hype.

Last edited by twdm; 12-29-2014 at 08:40 AM.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #3037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
This comes down to the basis of capitalism. Those who own ASSETS and who OWN DEBT.
Fixed for you.
If u don't get it, those that own debt are the losers
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #3038

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
If I told you guys that I had a great investment where you would be guaranteed amazing returns and all you had to do was invite others to join the investment you would call me a ponzi fraud artist. This is Vancouver real estate at the moment. Price growth relies on hype, money from new buyers/foreign cash and is dramatically outpacing household income and other basic fundamentals. Highest housing prices with the lowest average household incomes in Canada. If that doesn't add up to you then something is wrong.

I'm currently living in Hong Kong right now and with President Xi cracking down on corruption, the Chinese money is going to stop flowing (they're even afraid to take vacations right now). The people who are gonna get left in tatters when the low interest rates end are the ones that bought into the realtor hype.
A ponzi. Has been ever since prices decoupled from fundamentals.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #3039
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
-article that lists the top 500 most expensive homes in Vancouver (click on the PDF link in the article).

No surprise, many of the homes are in the west side, Point Grey area of Vancouver on Belmont Avenue. The Lululemon founder is ballin.

Top 10 most expensive homes in BC are located in Vancouver | News1130
Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #3040

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
-article that lists the top 500 most expensive homes in Vancouver (click on the PDF link in the article).

No surprise, many of the homes are in the west side, Point Grey area of Vancouver on Belmont Avenue. The Lululemon founder is ballin.

And according to the PDF, the homes are listed by assessed value, which can differ significantly (usually higher for desirable properties) from selling value!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #3041
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Guy in my building is only paying $2500 a month for the 1600+ sq foot penthouse at the Koret Lofts! What a steal!!!

Meanwhile I believe they sell for 1.6+ million on MLS.ca
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #3042

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
The thing is Regina isn't that cheap either. I mean it's cheaper then Vancouver but if you're comparing it to the Lower Mainland suburbs you're looking close to the same price. It's not like you're going to move there and buy a decent house for $250,000, I mean yes you can find houses for that but they are in Indian Flats or the Hood.

I'm from there, I have an opportunity to go back and get a 60% wage increase to start the problem is I'll have to live there again. It's stupid cold in the winter and it's stupid hot in the summer. You have lots of areas that are a straight fucking ghetto, gangs are terrible there and the crime rate is pretty damm bad.

You got shit like this. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Tru...579/story.html

My parents moved back to Sask a few years ago (dad had a good opportunity) and they built a house about 20 minutes out of Regina and it was anything but cheap to build to there and that was with my dad doing a lot of it himself.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #3043
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

anyone checked their bc assessment property value?
they just updated their values for 2015 online
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #3044
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post

what's the purpose of having this info available to public?
If I had house on that list, I wouldn't want strangers to know how rich I am lol
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #3045
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
If I had house on that list, I wouldn't want strangers to know how rich I am lol
how rich? Or how much debt you are able to rack up?
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #3046

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
public information is public.

address, BC assessed value, no names.

It's also BC assessed value, which while good, isn't all that accurate, especially for niche products such as these.

In the US you can find out who lives in what house, all public record. that's why some ppl own RE in numbered companies.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #3047
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

We finally went out to see a house with a realtor. What would you pick? 1/2 duplex in Vancouver (West/East) or narrow lot house in Delta/Surrey/New West?

Assume similar price, brand new building, and no rental suite.

First hand experience would be helpful.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #3048
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
What does your wife think about it?

Where do you work and where does your wife work?
How far of a drive would it be for you guys?

How old is said duplex in Vancouver and is all maintenance up to date? When was the roof replaced and same with the hot water tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #3049
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
What does your wife think about it?

Where do you work and where does your wife work?
How far of a drive would it be for you guys?

How old is said duplex in Vancouver and is all maintenance up to date? When was the roof replaced and same with the hot water tank.
The neighbour is the biggest concern. To my understanding, the land and building is shared so anything related to it (e.g. insurance, maintenance) would be shared.

Downtown. Less than 1 hour drive.

We are mainly looking at brand new buildings.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #3050
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
If I told you guys that I had a great investment where you would be guaranteed amazing returns and all you had to do was invite others to join the investment you would call me a ponzi fraud artist. This is Vancouver real estate at the moment. Price growth relies on hype, money from new buyers/foreign cash and is dramatically outpacing household income and other basic fundamentals. Highest housing prices with the lowest average household incomes in Canada. If that still adds up to you then something is wrong.

The shocking thing with Xi's corruption crack down is there's no slow down in areas outside of Asia. The chinese don't dare invest in HK and Macau as the China government can easily get their hands on it. Outside of Asia, Canada & USA is fair game. They're washing dirty money and ill gotten gains. Canada and USA won't send the dirty officials back to China so once the money is out, it's gone. It's a different story in HK and Macau where once the money is out, the HK and Macau govt will do nothing to stop the China govt from knocking on your door repatriating you.

I'm watching China constantly to see what they do with John Jia as his ties go right to the top - Canada Resident Caught Up in China Corruption Probe - WSJ
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: