REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #3326
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I have nothing to add to the conversation.

Except I would like to just respond to this comment which is something I hear a lot of realtor's say. I've just never bothered to stop them and explain how their case isn't special at all really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
All realtors are covered by insurance and there are many fees to be a realtor that most people do not consider - taxes on earnings, Real Estate Board fees, deal fees, monthly desk fees ($260 at a mid-tier brokerage to as high as ~800 I heard for Re/Max), referral commissions, cheque fees, etc.
#1 - We all get taxed on earnings, even the dude at Mcdonalds. So what the fuck?

#2 - Insurance? Yeah I carry insurance as well, professional Liability, Errors and omissions, etc.

#3 - Board Fees - You pay board fees, I pay fees to the associations and designations that I am a part of as well. Everyone does, doctors, engineers, FRICS, PQS, PMP, etc. It's nothing special.

#4 - Deal fees? Oh you mean the overhead you have to pay to do business? Yeah I have to pay for lawyers to read over paperwork and stuff as well, I need documents notarized as well. Again Realty isn't that special, regular business' need this type of shit as well.

My point is that Realtor's seem to believe they are the only ones who have expenses, ask any working professional, or any business owner. Making money isn't cheap.
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #3327
I HERP TO YOU DERP

offtopic question:

does anyone know how someone like me could get access to closed deal figures around my neighbourhood WITHOUT consulting a realtor?
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #3328
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Ask your neighbours!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #3329

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypediss View Post
offtopic question:

does anyone know how someone like me could get access to closed deal figures around my neighbourhood WITHOUT consulting a realtor?
BC Assessment currently has both sale and assessed values on their website available to the public for free. Otherwise, open a BCOnline account and pay $10 per assessment.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #3330
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Is it bad practice to have multiple realtors working for me (as a buyer)?

I have three right now. Two for Coquitlam and one for Vancouver.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:30 PM   #3331
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Is it bad practice to have multiple realtors working for me (as a buyer)?

I have three right now. Two for Coquitlam and one for Vancouver.

You have two in the same city ? What's the point? I'm guessing you haven't singed with any of them.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #3332
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I have nothing to add to the conversation.

Except I would like to just respond to this comment which is something I hear a lot of realtor's say. I've just never bothered to stop them and explain how their case isn't special at all really.
Quote:
#1 - We all get taxed on earnings, even the dude at Mcdonalds. So what the fuck?
McDonald's guy makes too little and gets all that money back at tax return time. If you really want me to bring that chart up again the bottom half of society pays little to no taxes at all.

Quote:
#2 - Insurance? Yeah I carry insurance as well, professional Liability, Errors and omissions, etc.
I don't.

Quote:
#3 - Board Fees - You pay board fees, I pay fees to the associations and designations that I am a part of as well. Everyone does, doctors, engineers, FRICS, PQS, PMP, etc. It's nothing special.
Only people considered professionals pay association fees. Most people have jobs, not careers.

Quote:
#4 - Deal fees? Oh you mean the overhead you have to pay to do business? Yeah I have to pay for lawyers to read over paperwork and stuff as well, I need documents notarized as well. Again Realty isn't that special, regular business' need this type of shit as well.
Yeah that's fine my point is that they do incur these expenses and the commission is used to cover these costs.

Quote:
My point is that Realtor's seem to believe they are the only ones who have expenses, ask any working professional, or any business owner. Making money isn't cheap.
You have to take the whole paragraph into account, not isolate one sentence and skip the most important part: that the housing market is skewed in Vancouver and everyone asks for a rebate of 25-50%. Then consider the fact that you may have to use the remaining commission to make the deal work and pay referral fees. Unless you are selling/buying a house, condos do not offer that much commission.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2015, 11:15 PM   #3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
You have two in the same city ? What's the point? I'm guessing you haven't singed with any of them.
Sign what? I'm looking to buy.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #3334
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:

You have to take the whole paragraph into account, not isolate one sentence and skip the most important part: that the housing market is skewed in Vancouver and everyone asks for a rebate of 25-50%. Then consider the fact that you may have to use the remaining commission to make the deal work and pay referral fees. Unless you are selling/buying a house, condos do not offer that much commission.
It is of my opinion that the real estate industry has allowed many people with little real skills/education/knowledge to make obscene amount of money while doing relatively little work. Not only is it little work, it's work that does not really contribute much value.

The main reason for the commissions being so high is because they have a near monopoly on the industry and will do anything to protect it.

A lot of the practices used in the real estate industry would be deemed illegal and the individual would have their licenses revoked if this were say, the financial industry.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #3335
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Sign what? I'm looking to buy.
Signed with (one) of the agents such that they are your exclusive agent into buying a place

E.g. exclusive buyer's broker agreement

If not, I guess good for you.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #3336
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
It is of my opinion that the real estate industry has allowed many people with little real skills/education/knowledge to make obscene amount of money while doing relatively little work. Not only is it little work, it's work that does not really contribute much value.

The main reason for the commissions being so high is because they have a near monopoly on the industry and will do anything to protect it.

A lot of the practices used in the real estate industry would be deemed illegal and the individual would have their licenses revoked if this were say, the financial industry.
I could say that of many industries. There are people who make over a hundred grand a year selling clothes at Harry Rosen or purely shoes at Holt Renfrew. Ya sure a lot of realtors make an obscene amount of money but a lot of people do so when their at the top of any industry. The average realtor makes enough to supplement their income but not enough to leave their other job. That's not too say that I don't think real estate commissions are too high past a certain price point but everything is negotiable.

How much education do you propose realtors have? professional sales as a field typically requires only a high school diploma but a lot of people have at least a bachelors. It is Vancouver after all.

Lots of industries have a monopoly. Do we need to discuss the banking cartel? OPEC nations? the "biggest scam" that is diamonds?

There are scumbags in any industry. I don't think the financial services industry is any better.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 03-12-2015 at 09:44 AM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #3337

Quote:
Lots of industries have a monopoly. Do we need to discuss the banking cartel? OPEC nations? the "biggest scam" that is diamonds?
I do work with De Beers, I'll limit my exposure here.

But I will say that Diamonds are intrinsically worthless. They are absolutely USELESS, the only reason they have value is because you people seem to think they have value.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #3338
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:

But I will say that Diamonds are intrinsically worthless. They are absolutely USELESS, the only reason they have value is because you people seem to think they have value.

Every Jewish girl I have dated has said this. They don't want diamonds, they want gold!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #3339
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:

This sounds like a RS hookup to me!

Hook up some diamonds, bruh. The RS population is getting old and engagement rings are going to be needed.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

Hook up some diamonds, bruh. The RS population is getting old and engagement rings are going to be needed.
You wouldn't believe the security they have at their facilities. You get searched going in and out.

The depths they go to ensure you aren't sneaking diamonds out of their facilities are insane. It makes most airport security screenings look like amateur hour at your local rodeo.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #3341
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:

Diamonds are over-rated (esp those from De Beers). Just get your girl a CZ (cubic zirconia) and call it a day.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #3342
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Every Jewish girl I have dated has said this. They don't want diamonds, they want gold!

Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #3343
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i wish i had smartened up before buying my wife her engagement ring but the "old school" in me won....should have just bought her a single plain band and used the money on my house
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #3344
CRS

Quote:
You wouldn't believe the security they have at their facilities. You get searched going in and out.

The depths they go to ensure you aren't sneaking diamonds out of their facilities are insane. It makes most airport security screenings look like amateur hour at your local rodeo.

I wasn't saying steal it or have it fall off a truck.

Employee discount, bruh!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 03-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #3345
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:

That's a lie. They make great sandpaper.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #3346

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
Signed with (one) of the agents such that they are your exclusive agent into buying a place

E.g. exclusive buyer's broker agreement

If not, I guess good for you.

One is a realtor we met at an open house. The other two are referrals/friends.

None of them asked for any signed documents. Why would they? I don't sign anything with a car salesperson or any sales. Or is this common RE practice?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #3347
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

So how's everyone doing in the real estate market these days? Everyone moved back to Vancouver?

I was bored so I skimmed the 2014 conversations to see all our predictions. The prediction that the CAD will tank came true along with commodities. No one here saw the rate cut coming though. What I've noticed is that condo's are pretty flat or in some cases declined in price. Single family detached is still hot though. What's interesting is that people are taking out sub-prime loans to pay for a downpayment these days. Along with the 96month car loans. Yikes!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #3348
CRS

Is there a way to find out when there are open houses in a given neighbourhood without having to click on each MLS ad?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 03-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #3349
2 Wheelin' Mod

Quote:

One is a realtor we met at an open house. The other two are referrals/friends.

None of them asked for any signed documents. Why would they? I don't sign anything with a car salesperson or any sales. Or is this common RE practice?
A lot do because they want to get the commission rather than them showing the house and you buying the house using the other Realtor
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #3350
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Is there a way to find out when there are open houses in a given neighbourhood without having to click on each MLS ad?
Click on the "open houses" only radio button when searching (on the bottom right corner of the search options)

You get the most #s of open houses as it nears the weekends.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: