REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:51 PM   #5501
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
what are the prices for ellsworth
I usually did best guesses while I was waiting for prices to be released but at a best guess at least $700/sq foot but probably higher. $700/sq foot is already just nasty.
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #5502
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I usually did best guesses while I was waiting for prices to be released but at a best guess at least $700/sq foot but probably higher. $700/sq foot is already just nasty.
Bought in The Creek (SEFC) at just over $760/sq ft. Not the same area, but I would guess anywhere between $700 - 740/sq ft.
soymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #5503
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

ellsworth use to be called focal.

pricing for focal back then, I would guess the prices are higher now.

https://www.pixilink.com/upload/hous...alpricings.pdf
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam0m0 View Post
ellsworth use to be called focal.

pricing for focal back then, I would guess the prices are higher now.

https://www.pixilink.com/upload/hous...alpricings.pdf
Yea it was Focal > Paragon > Ellsworth all in 1 year or so.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:08 PM   #5505
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Def more then $740sq/f. Starting prices are higher. Anyhow, just left the showing. Have one suite in mind but I'm thinking it's just too much for too little.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:44 PM   #5506
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,127 Times in 7,142 Posts
I've said it before and will say it again. Anyone who wants a bargain, North Van is where its at, or at least it was. I managed $510/sq ft and thats not including my 100+ sq ft balcony overlooking a creek that can never be built on due to protected land. UG car wash in the parking, pretty legit quality finishings, 2 dog limit with no restrictions on size or breed, 10 minute walk to the sea bus, gym, etc....
Id be happy to have some RS neighbours and take over the UG parking.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #5507
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,125 Posts
^ No doubt you did well for new construction in North Van. I think it would be hard to get that pricing today.

I would say that Port Moody, specifically Klahanie/Suterbrook, is still a decent value. Better than Brentwood, IMHO, for transit-oriented communities outside the City of Vancouver. Your choice of West Coast Express, or Evergreen Line, or a nice drive on the Barnet into town. Craft breweries all along Murray St. Lots of trails and parks for the kids or dogs. Well run municipality with low property taxes considering the size and population. Water access. It's the North Van of the Tri-Cities.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2016, 10:55 PM   #5508

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Def more then $740sq/f. Starting prices are higher. Anyhow, just left the showing. Have one suite in mind but I'm thinking it's just too much for too little.
I guess it comes down to what you want. Coworker who gave up driving and was well into the biking lifestyle who also works by downtown was hard set on something in or around Olympic Village and he had to pay the price for it but it was non negotiable to be in that area so be it.

What are you seeking?

Old 04-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #5509

I'm about as flexible as a 14 y/o gymnist when it comes to what I want. Honestly it comes down to fear of being left behind. Wrong mindset. I was looking at a Jr 2 bedroom at this place. Only because by the time it's built, I can free up some more cash, and/or my gf and I will finally have a second income. Other then that, I've been looking at basic older 1 bedrooms. Need a deck, that's about what it comes down to. Looking to keep it central for ease of future employement.

Right now I live in what I consider the best block in Vancouver. My rent is dirt cheap (although not nice), and if I were smart I'd be piling money under my mattress like Scrooge mcduck.

We've had ideas to move to south surrey and buy a townhouse. A garage would make my day. But until that second job is available we don't really want to go through the hassle of buying/selling. I hate commuting but will do it since I don't have to go into work very often. But if I can save my gf a daily commute, id sacrifice my man space.

North Van would be rad. I love the outdoors, but right now it doesn't work for us. By next year that may change. I guess I better smarten up and start saving.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #5510

^^
Flexible is good but I think you should narrow it down a bit with a little more focus. Best of luck!!!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #5511
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
I agree with Westopher, North Van is the best value right now for condos or houses. $ for $, it is the same price as east van. I think traditionalists still have the issue with crossing a bridge. $510/ft is a great deal. I highly doubt you can get that value in East Van.

Heck, heritage building condos in Gastown or Railtown are going for $900/ft. Most places are going for $100K over asking! since very few mainlanders buy in gastown, it is driven by regular Vancourites.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #5512
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
North van has been value for quite some time it seems. Wish I had a bit more buying power at the moment..

For me and my fiancé, but moreso for me since I grew up in surrey, I hate the thought of spending 800+ to stay in Burnaby/van when I could buy a detached home in surrey/walnut grove, etc for same price.

We really want to stay north of the Fraser though. At the end of the day may just stay wherewe are and hold cash and see what happens, but the desire is always there to upgrade.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 04-01-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #5513
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
if you have the view of the water a north van condo would be pretty cool if you don't mind the bridge or just stay in n.van.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #5514
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
^ No doubt you did well for new construction in North Van. I think it would be hard to get that pricing today.

I would say that Port Moody, specifically Klahanie/Suterbrook, is still a decent value. Better than Brentwood, IMHO, for transit-oriented communities outside the City of Vancouver. Your choice of West Coast Express, or Evergreen Line, or a nice drive on the Barnet into town. Craft breweries all along Murray St. Lots of trails and parks for the kids or dogs. Well run municipality with low property taxes considering the size and population. Water access. It's the North Van of the Tri-Cities.
Problems with the Klahanie/Suterbrook are traffic at peak times, there is so much population in that area now and no roads, so everywhere is crammed. Every other person has dogs and is a younger community. Dog shit everywhere, people let dogs shit and piss in the underground in the winter.
Summertime is awesome you walk out your door to hikes, breweries, grocery stores near by.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #5515
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
Dog shit everywhere, people let dogs shit and piss in the underground in the winter.
I'm up on SFU and we have that problem too. It's horrible.
The worst one was someone letting their pet pee in the lobby.

Went to throw out sold old veggies in the organics bin and saw 2 plastic bags full of orange peels and other compost items. Seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #5516

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Went to throw out sold old veggies in the organics bin and saw 2 plastic bags full of orange peels and other compost items. Seriously?
Are plastic bags erking your chain? There are biodegradable bags which look just like a normal plastic bag available.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #5517
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Are plastic bags erking your chain? There are biodegradable bags which look just like a normal plastic bag available.
I wished it was, but alas they were regular plastic bags.
I live in a building that is 90% rentals and most of them are from overseas where it is normal for them to leave full garbage bags in the fire escape.
Or leave their baby stroller outside their units.
And parking over night in the fire lane is also acceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #5518
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
when i was renting a condo by brentwood the neighbour would leave their full garbage bags in the hallway by their door (i guess to take down in the morning) god the hallway would smell like a dumpster bin as soon as you opened your door or the elevator door opened it was so gross

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #5519
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I'm up on SFU and we have that problem too. It's horrible.
The worst one was someone letting their pet pee in the lobby.

Same stuff in our building with the pee. Seen shit a few times in the hallway and in the lobby. I pretty much said i'm done with condo living when i almost stepped in shit in the underground i put my place up for sale 7 days later.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #5520

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
Problems with the Klahanie/Suterbrook are traffic at peak times, there is so much population in that area now and no roads, so everywhere is crammed. Every other person has dogs and is a younger community. Dog shit everywhere, people let dogs shit and piss in the underground in the winter.
Summertime is awesome you walk out your door to hikes, breweries, grocery stores near by.
Frankly, any complex that allows pets and rentals is going to have these problems. It was pretty bad in my building for a while too, but the residents got fed up and started going after people who were caught in the act.

I'm up in PoMo all of the time and traffic isn't as bad as it is in Burnaby-Brentwood during peak hours. Traffic anywhere in Metro Vancouver is bad during rush hour. At least city planners did some thinking and granted the rights to develop the land to developers en-bloc as opposed to rezoning plots peacemeal like the City of Burnaby is doing. The sidewalks in that area are poor, particularly on Dawson. For a young person, it doesn't matter, but for a young family with kids, sidewalks are a small, but important component of a neighbourhood.

There are two plots of land left to be developed in Klahanie, and that's it. You know what you're buying into in terms of scale. On the other hand, with Brentwood, it's open season in terms of future rezoning and development. Sure, it'll look nice in 10 years, but in the interim, you're going to have construction, traffic, and all of the other issues associated with new buildings and developments.

But, Whole Foods!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #5521
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
when i was renting a condo by brentwood the neighbour would leave their full garbage bags in the hallway by their door (i guess to take down in the morning) god the hallway would smell like a dumpster bin as soon as you opened your door or the elevator door opened it was so gross
While it's no excuse, I wonder if they were from overseas. During my stay in TW, that was the norm (as the garbage lady would walk down from the top and grab all of the garbage).

Again, not an excuse for that behaviour here, but just an observation.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #5522

Quote:
Biodegradable plastic bags are actually illegal in compost bins in Metro Vancouver.

Metro Vancouver has bin inspectors and they tag bins that have improperly sorted materials. If they find enough violations from your complex's bins, the strata gets fined which of course is eventually passed down to the owners. Some buildings have taken the steps to install cameras in garbage rooms to ensure people aren't dumping prohibited materials.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #5523
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
I agree with Westopher, North Van is the best value right now for condos or houses. $ for $, it is the same price as east van. I think traditionalists still have the issue with crossing a bridge. $510/ft is a great deal. I highly doubt you can get that value in East Van.
I work in Richmond, so as tempting as North Van is, I can't imagine crossing a two bridges twice a day. I think I would lose my mind.

I have family that have lived in North Van for 40 years, they refuse to leave the North Shore between 3pm and 6pm.

I think the North Shore is great if you work different hours than the typical 9-5, can take the Seabus into work, or if you work on the North Shore. Anything else and it can become a hassle.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #5524
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Biodegradable plastic bags are actually illegal in compost bins in Metro Vancouver.

i used to do that, until i actually read the the sticker on my compost bin and saw it was banned. i hate that...it's the easiest fucking solution to keep that goddamned stink ass piece of shit bin relatively easy to clean and easy to dispose off and its fucking banned
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #5525
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
Use the wax lined paper bags..they are like 200 for $8

Our building is bad for it as well, our building management is amazing too, and they made it as easy as could be, labelled the hell out of each bin, two sets of bins on each parkade lecel, and fucking idiots still can't understand.

Seems like it's just fobs who can't read or be bothered to look at the pictures of what goes in each bin. Our building manager is amazing and a super nice woman, and she was even saying that she politely confronts people puting plastic etc into the green bins and the people just stare at her blankly and continue puting their shit in the wrong bins..