REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #6226
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
We really only have ourselves to blame for China's corrupt money. We have demanded cheaper prices and we, as shareholders of some of the world's largest companies, have demanded higher returns. It's coming home to roost, unfortunately.

Since we're on the topic of electric vehicle charging stations, the new condo development in Langley that people were lining up for actually has charging stations assigned to each unit:

Condo & Penthouse Features - Yorkson Creek

There's no mention if the strata will be on the hook for the power, or if the power will be bundled in the billing for each suite.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #6227
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Side note: I learned from a Realtor friend yesterday about finding renters. He mostly posts his ads in Korean or Japanese newspapers. In most cases he looks for 1-2 year students, but apparently they are very well kept and take care of the place and actually clean up when their term is done.
Just don't go on CL looking for korean students. My wife did that and founds lots of "ads" for them.

To be fair, we've dealt with many types of china students/families in our building.
There was one girl who was raised in a boarding school in England so she was able to take care of herself and spoke very good english.
We've also met the poor ones who didn't want strata to go through with the building being repainted cause they like to live in a dive.
Some of these kids are living on their own for the very first time so they have no concept of what we deem as acceptable or not acceptable behaviour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #6228

Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post
When I was condo hunting in Toronto, I couldn't even count the number of units in brand new buildings that were being rented out to mainlanders and were completely trashed.
One of my neighbours just returned from their 6 month stay in Mexico.
Retired couple who spends their winters in Mexico and rented out their unit while they were away.

The couple they rented to seemed nice at first. Then after the moved in, they got a puppy and let the dog poop and pee everywhere.
They left rotting garbage in the sink till the unit was full of fruit flies.

Fast forward to last week, the couple that rented had broken up sometime in the past 6 months and all that was left was the girl and her dog plus another female room mate. They claimed they hired a professional cleaner to clean the place before returning the keys. The owners went into the unit and found dried doogy doo everywhere as well as the furniture was all chewed up from the puppy.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #6229
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I seriously don't understand how people can live like that.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #6230
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Lol business in North America is done in the most unethical manor in the world. Other countries are just joining the party.
+1.

Just one example is Vancouver city council and list goes on.

Only difference between corruption in North America vs. Asia is it's not as obvious. It most places in Asia it's a known fact that you need to pay off certain individuals to get stuff done, here it's more hush hush and favors are usually done at a smaller scale e.g get me a permit and I'll fix your house or give you a donation next time around, etc...
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #6231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
+1.

Just one example is Vancouver city council and list goes on.

Only difference between corruption in North America vs. Asia is it's not as obvious. It most places in Asia it's a known fact that you need to pay off certain individuals to get stuff done, here it's more hush hush and favors are usually done at a smaller scale e.g get me a permit and I'll fix your house or give you a donation next time around, etc...
Lots of fine dinners with nice wine. Bring your wife. We can watch the canucks in my private suite. etc....

Hell, put a $20 in your palm and shake the bouncer's hand to get into the club faster.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 05-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #6232
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I seriously don't understand how people can live like that.
LOL one of the students we rented out for 2 years. After she left we had to throw out the whole bed. Apparently there was blood stains all over the matress and cover is dirt. I guess she never bother to change the bed sheets either coz it is black. Yea...... and I think I am lazy for not washing my bed sheets every week.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #6233
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Vancouver's Real Estate Market

Vancouver realtor accused of making threats

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle30024457/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 11:18 PM   #6234
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
We really only have ourselves to blame for China's corrupt money. We have demanded cheaper prices and we, as shareholders of some of the world's largest companies, have demanded higher returns. It's coming home to roost, unfortunately.

Since we're on the topic of electric vehicle charging stations, the new condo development in Langley that people were lining up for actually has charging stations assigned to each unit:

Condo & Penthouse Features - Yorkson Creek

There's no mention if the strata will be on the hook for the power, or if the power will be bundled in the billing for each suite.
Oh, god. All that yellow highlighted text reminds me of a Geocities website or something
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:36 AM   #6235
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Lol business in North America is done in the most unethical manor in the world. Other countries are just joining the party.
i disagree, there can be questionable acts, but in general all the companies i have worked for truly do look out for their employees, the environment, the betterment of the world, though profits do dictate to what extent the above occurs.

I don't think i could say the same for developing nations.

a lot of this comes down to government regulation too. in china, for example, there are no regulations against dumping chemicals in streams and rivers (i was there once and told that, couldn't believe it).
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-14-2016, 03:26 AM   #6236
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i disagree, there can be questionable acts, but in general all the companies i have worked for truly do look out for their employees, the environment, the betterment of the world, though profits do dictate to what extent the above occurs.

I don't think i could say the same for developing nations.

a lot of this comes down to government regulation too. in china, for example, there are no regulations against dumping chemicals in streams and rivers (i was there once and told that, couldn't believe it).
I think youre the last person on RS to judge "betterment of the world" when you take opposition to such a profound comment made by someone who isnt a rat race brainwashed robot.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70753...ml#post8755082
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-14-2016, 06:50 AM   #6237
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixfwd View Post

Vancouver realtor accused of making threats - The Globe and Mail

inb4 layla yang scumbag memes
#thuglyfe

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #6238

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
I think youre the last person on RS to judge "betterment of the world" when you take opposition to such a profound comment made by someone who isnt a rat race brainwashed robot.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70753...ml#post8755082
Yup, I'm brainwashed, uneducated, a puppet... whatever you think
Old 05-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #6239
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
It may not be new to your ancient society of corrupt dirtbags, but the last time I checked this was still North America where most business was done in an ethical manner.

So yeah, it is new. Which is why it's on the front page of every news outlet right now.
I know you're an old man, astute in your wisdom of the real world. Which is why I'm having trouble accepting your naivity that things like the above happen

Businesses take advantage/abuse loopholes all the same, which is really what this is, a loophole that is being abused. And you can also bet that these students and their families who 'live' here are collecting welfare cheques, free MSP, subsidized/free education.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #6240
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixfwd View Post

Vancouver realtor accused of making threats - The Globe and Mail

Reading this garbage disgusted me to the nth degree. Nevermind the lowlife realtor, it's immensely appalling how all levels of government can essentially plug their ears and cover their eyes and say absolutely nothing wrong is happening with our housing market, all the while pretty much acknowledging that this is going on right under their noses and nothing is going to be done to stop it because nothing can be done, otherwise they'd all be labelled racists and they'd stop earning their equally insanely high salaries.

It's just so frustrating when those who have lived in Vancouver their entire lives are witnessing their city going to shit, as a result of these greedy politicians who know nothing more but to continuously shovel money into their pockets. For young families who are looking to purchase a home for a first time, having to compete with foreign criminals trying to launder their corrupted money out from another country, must be a terrible experience.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #6241
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

These foreigners have cold hard cash and laundering it through. How does the government stop it when its the canadian relatives and fake business that are purchasing it.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #6242

i know it may seem cool to be anti corporate, saying all companies are corrupt, just consider this for western companies:

A company has to act within guidelines, financial, regulatory, sector specific, etc. A company will have rules that must be complied with, and if not complied with, will be found out and those breaking the rules will be held accountable (having said that, white collar crime isn't heavily enough hit). Sarbanes Oxley rules are just one to prevent issues stemming from the Enron/Worldcom accounting cluster fuck.

There have been issues, of course, but we learn from them and move on.

Corporate entities being used by individuals to skirt the laws (panama papers style) is not anything to do with companies. Companies and corporations are not interchangeable. Any corporate entity used is just an extension of the person utilizing said entity to avoid tax, hide money, etc.

I know CIC will just say i'm brainwashed, uneducated, rat racer, etc. but in the end of the day, it is humans that are corrupt, company guidelines, governmental regulations, etc. prevent much more fraud and unethical behaviour occurring. The problem is, people like CIC have probably never worked a real job, or has no actual experience seeing how companies work.

Regulations in the western world are so much more strict than in the developing world. Corruption and unethical behaviour, whilst still alive in the western world (and will always be to some degree), is significantly greater in developing economics and markets due to a lack of regulation and a greater focus on growth than morality.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2016, 12:06 AM   #6243

Kareem Serageldin, its his fault clearly
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #6244
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Let me say that I would like to think that it's better in North America, where we actually teach ethics to business students.

In my industry we deal with Cable and Telephone companies where there is a strong focus on ethical business. Look at Telus' corporate statement on corruption.

Quote:
Bribery and corruption is one of the primary obstacles to economic development. It undermines the rule of law, weakens trust in public institutions and challenges democratic principles. Bribery and corruption can exist in any society, rich or poor, creating a need for continued vigilance by regulators, law enforcement agencies and industry leaders.

Risks from bribery and other forms of corruption are a concern for companies both in Canada and abroad. Companies may be confronted with demands for bribes, challenged by competitors acting corruptly or faced with employees violating their codes of conduct. TELUS mitigates these risks by implementing and enforcing a robust Anti-Bribery and Corruption Compliance Program that is supported by clear policies, processes and controls.

Since 2012, we have addressed anti-bribery and corruption risks through a risk-based framework that includes:

Senior management involvement and support: senior leaders across TELUS were identified as responsible and accountable for making sure the Anti-Bribery and Corruption Compliance Program is effectively implemented and consistently monitored. Senior executives set the tone to create a culture where bribery is unacceptable.

Corporate compliance policies and procedures: a specific Anti-Bribery and Corruption Policy was rolled out to the TELUS team after being approved by the TELUS Board of Directors. The policy provides further clarity and guidance for employees and third parties engaged by TELUS, and supplements other guidance in the TELUS Code of Ethics and Conduct, the Supplier Code of Conduct, and our Code of Conduct for Business Sales Activities.

Training and education: our annual Integrity training highlights our zero-tolerance approach to bribery and corruption. Further training continues to be provided through our Business Sales Code of Conduct and Anti-Bribery and Corruption programs.

Incentives and consistent disciplinary procedures: annual performance objectives were created for employees responsible for implementing and monitoring the compliance program. Failure to act in accordance with the Anti-Bribery and Corruption Policy may subject employees to disciplinary action, which may include dismissal.
I have seen many situations where we as suppliers knew one of our competitors was using personal gain as an incentive to do business. In all of those situations, it wasn't long before someone figured it out, and people lost their jobs.

So yes, unethical practices still exist. But not even close to the extent that bribery and scandals happen in Asia and South America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i know it may seem cool to be anti corporate, saying all companies are corrupt, just consider this for western companies:

A company has to act within guidelines, financial, regulatory, sector specific, etc. A company will have rules that must be complied with, and if not complied with, will be found out and those breaking the rules will be held accountable (having said that, white collar crime isn't heavily enough hit). Sarbanes Oxley rules are just one to prevent issues stemming from the Enron/Worldcom accounting cluster fuck.

There have been issues, of course, but we learn from them and move on.
werd.

However I would like to see bankers and fraudsters actually get jail time for what they've done. People manipulating the markets, banks profiting off drugs or arms. Then there are situations like the Mike Duffy trial make me wonder if justice is really blind, or just inconsistent.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #6245

Quote:
I have seen many situations where we as suppliers knew one of our competitors was using personal gain as an incentive to do business. In all of those situations, it wasn't long before someone figured it out, and people lost their jobs.

So yes, unethical practices still exist. But not even close to the extent that bribery and scandals happen in Asia and South America.
I think the key to it all is your last the second line here.
It's not uncommon to take people out on business lunches/dinners
I've also heard stories of after dinner events in the name of building better customer/supplier relationships.
Like my example. Tickets to the Canucks in someone's private box.

I've heard of stories where drug companies take pharmacist/doctors to info seminars + golf and dinner to introduce them to new medications that they can prescribe for certain illnesses.

Of course, all this doesn't compare to the amount of corruption there is in other developing countries.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #6246
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
It's not uncommon to take people out on business lunches/dinners
I've also heard stories of after dinner events in the name of building better customer/supplier relationships.
Like my example. Tickets to the Canucks in someone's private box.
We're not even allowed to give our customers donuts based on their corporate policies. It sucks to work for one of the big corporations.

So it looks like if you're into grey market, under the table, or straight up bribery, get into a trade or politics.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #6247
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
building repore or getting to know your customers via hockey suites or playing golf is normal business practices to me. Heck, the stuff the pharma guys do is borderline unethical. However, for most part, North American business is competitive as heck where everyone is looking for an edge, but for the most part, play pretty above board. Asian business seems to start with the corrupt route or "how can I benefit personally Vs the company" mentality first. It is a huge difference imo.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #6248
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
Quote:
We're not even allowed to give our customers donuts based on their corporate policies. It sucks to work for one of the big corporations.

So it looks like if you're into grey market, under the table, or straight up bribery, get into a trade or politics.
my old company was sort of like that as well. we used to get tons of xmas party prizes from vendors, then as we got bigger we weren't able to accept them anymore.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #6249

Quote:
We're not even allowed to give our customers donuts based on their corporate policies.
NOOO!!!!
Spoiler!
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #6250
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Reading this garbage disgusted me to the nth degree.
That and the fact that any threats uttered with such poor, poor English really loses any effect. "You don't want to fucking be alive"..wait don't you mean I do want to be alive and I don't want to die?
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: