REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #7676
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Does the landscaper hired manicure the garden beds as well or just grass?
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #7677
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
My condo has a big patio space with garden beds with some original strata plants but also spaces to plant your own stuffs, not to mention you can plant more in pots.

My partner townhouse: strata forbid to plant anything and I was told they actually have people go and pull "illegal" plants. So all that's left is an area of dirt in front each townhouse.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #7678
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,158 Times in 7,153 Posts
The thought of having such a cunty strata is so stressful. If I find out someone in mine is going to act like that I will personally torment them until they can't handle living there anymore.
Seriously, who is so miserable and bored that they have time to police someone's gardening.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #7679
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Or you could, you know, be a member of the strata council and contribute to making your building/complex a better place for all to live... Then realize why those cunty rules and regulations are in place because many owners don't give a rat's ass.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #7680
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
It's okay, RE thread will support your go fund me

Mandarin-speaking council settles human rights case

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #7681
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Does the landscaper hired manicure the garden beds as well or just grass?
In my brief experience, the grass only for the most part. Each lot has its own garden bed and that's up up to owners to maintain. Many have ripped out what was put in by the developer many years ago and put in their own plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The thought of having such a cunty strata is so stressful. If I find out someone in mine is going to act like that I will personally torment them until they can't handle living there anymore.
Seriously, who is so miserable and bored that they have time to police someone's gardening.
I've never been on strata myself, but usually it's 1 or 2 people that do something stupid which ruins it for everyone. When you're managing a multi-family complex with insurance to worry about, you can't always let people do things that may violate the insurance policy, compromise the integrity of the exterior, etc. Usually, small things which may go against the rules are ignored because they're risk-managed (e.g. Leaving tires at the end of your assigned parking spot in an underground parkade). However, someone does an oil change (which is against the rules) and doesn't clean up, then you can see how a strata council would come down hard on the rest of the owners. There's probably something in your bylaws about not being able to maintain mechanical vehicles on the common property. It's probably not a good idea to use jackstands, but you'll probably get away with engine work if you don't make a mess and don't impact the use of the parkade by others.

Usually, this is where becoming friends with the resident care-taker and council members goes a long way.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #7682

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Or you could, you know, be a member of the strata council and contribute to making your building/complex a better place for all to live... Then realize why those cunty rules and regulations are in place because many owners don't give a rat's ass.
Or you could, you know, make the place a better complex by not being a shitty neighbour. A rule about no plants, no tools touching a car in the parkade or no charcoal bbqs isn't making the fucking complex a better place.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #7683

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I've never been on strata myself, but usually it's 1 or 2 people that do something stupid which ruins it for everyone. When you're managing a multi-family complex with insurance to worry about, you can't always let people do things that may violate the insurance policy, compromise the integrity of the exterior, etc. Usually, small things which may go against the rules are ignored because they're risk-managed (e.g. Leaving tires at the end of your assigned parking spot in an underground parkade). However, someone does an oil change (which is against the rules) and doesn't clean up, then you can see how a strata council would come down hard on the rest of the owners. There's probably something in your bylaws about not being able to maintain mechanical vehicles on the common property. It's probably not a good idea to use jackstands, but you'll probably get away with engine work if you don't make a mess and don't impact the use of the parkade by others.

Usually, this is where becoming friends with the resident care-taker and council members goes a long way.
I hate strata's with a passion.

In my building there is 12 extra storage lockers for rent, and a few extra parking stalls. These are all owned by the building, and the rent goes back into the pocket of the strata in order to offset our monthly maintenance costs.

The storage lockers range in size from small to medium and extremely large. Small are like the standard 4'x8' lockers, medium are slight larger 8'x8' or 8'x10', and then the large ones are actual individual rooms, which are as big as 400sf-600sf.

The small lockers rent for like 30 bucks, medium ones 70, and the large ones are like 110 bucks a month or some shit.

I have complained to my council numerous times about how cheap the rent is on these storage units, and how I rent a garage to store my stuff which is smaller than some of these units and it costs me 300 bucks a month. Not to mention I gotta get in my car and drive 8 blocks to get to it.

I told them I am willing to pay 300-400 bucks a month to rent one of the large units, but they say that the storage units are available on a first come first serve basis only. Well none of the people who rent these storage units has given one up in like 7 years, because they are so goddamn cheap.

The best part about this entire thing, 8 of the 12 storage lockers (and all 4 of the large ones) are rented to members who are on the council. So of course they won't raise the price on them, because it's just going to cost them more money.

It's a similar story with the parking stalls. To rent a parking stall off a member in the building, it costs like 80-100 bucks a month. The strata parking stalls are rented out for 25 bucks a month (guess who rents most of them).

The issue with my condo, is that many of the people are old, and they simply don't care, and don't pay attention at how the council is anally raping them.

I tried to go on the council, but they have voted for the exact same 8 muppets the last 5 years I have lived here. I have now given up and I don't even pay attention to them or the meetings anymore because I am convinced these people are fucking retarded, it's not worth the headache. No matter what I try to do, what reasonable action I call for, the people on council just huddle into their little senior citizen groups and make me look like I am just some punk asshole.

I went toe to toe with my strata council for 2 full years, but they can just keep delaying or deferring and I ended up just stressing over it so much and getting so angry at times, that it was just easier to let it go and let them do whatever they want to fuck me over.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 08-11-2016 at 04:10 PM.
meme405 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #7684
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
^ thats why you need the chinaman to vote you in by proxy

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #7685

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The best part about this entire thing, 8 of the 12 storage lockers (and all 4 of the large ones) are rented to members who are on the council. So of course they won't raise the price on them, because it's just going to cost them more money.
Your strata doesn't have limits on how long member can sit on council and the lockers/parking? Totally fuck'd up if it doesn't.

The complex I'm staying has 2yr limits on council length in their strata bylaws. (in any position) One could be reelected after 1yr off, but the idea is to continue to rotate council members.

And any common properties available for rent have a maximum period of 2yrs. After that, it goes to the waitlist or if none on the waitlist, the current tenant can stay.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #7686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Your strata doesn't have limits on how long member can sit on council and the lockers/parking? Totally fuck'd up if it doesn't.

The complex I'm staying has 2yr limits on council length in their strata bylaws. (in any position) One could be reelected after 1yr off, but the idea is to continue to rotate council members.

And any common properties available for rent have a maximum period of 2yrs. After that, it goes to the waitlist or if none on the waitlist, the current tenant can stay.
Not as far as I know, but it's the first thing I am gonna look into tomorrow. Because besides one individual who changed the council has been the same for the last 5 years I have lived here. If that is the case then I'm gonna serve them some fucking democracy.

As for the parking and lockers, no there is absolutely nothing about length, it's explicitly first come first serve, and anyone beyond that goes on a waitlist. I've been on a waitlist for a storage locker since I moved in (I have the one which came with my unit), if I can get a second one it would be super handy for me, since I could probably get rid of the garage I currently rent.

Last edited by meme405; 08-11-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #7687

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Or you could, you know, make the place a better complex by not being a shitty neighbour. A rule about no plants, no tools touching a car in the parkade or no charcoal bbqs isn't making the fucking complex a better place.
Charcoal is a touchy issue. It is actually a real fire hazard and it only takes one idiot who doesn't know what they're doing to cause a fire. A building's insurance won't likely cover a fire caused by a charcoal BBQ.

Some stratas have gone so far as to ban propane BBQs. It sucks, but I can understand the reasons behind such a ban especially if the patios are fairly enclosed with nowhere for smoke to escape. Over time, the smoke gets into the building envelope and becomes expensive to clean.

Tools are another story. I did some wrenching on my BMWs in the condo a few times. As long as you're discrete about it, no one cares.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:22 PM   #7688

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Not as far as I know, but it's the first thing I am gonna look into tomorrow. Because besides one individual who changed the council has been the same for the last 5 years I have lived here. If that is the case then I'm gonna serve them some fucking democracy.

As for the parking and lockers, no there is absolutely nothing about length, it's explicitly first come first serve, and anyone beyond that goes on a waitlist. I've been on a waitlist for a storage locker since I moved in (I have the one which came with my unit), if I can get a second one it would be super handy for me, since I could probably get rid of the garage I currently rent.
Check on the length thing. I have heard from my friends in different strata where their building has 1yr limit on seat, although it's for the position they are in and I thought that's quite common and I thought mine was a bit fuck'd up when I heard it's 2 yrs.

But strata is a democracy thing... if there's anything you want done... you need to play the game along.

Get to know your neighbours, and then ask them to support you to add amendments to bylaws. You just need enough vote. I've had neighbours to go as far as soft bribing (BBQ party, distributing cookies suite to suite... etc) just to get enough vote for strata to amend the type of dogs others can have.

Check how much counts as having quorum (the q'ty needed to make a decision made binding), and make enough friends to make a special general meeting (it's better than waiting until AGM) and vote...
Old 08-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #7689
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Well my council just decided to remove buzzing people into the building for safety issues even though we have a security guard on watch 24/7. Fun.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #7690
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
But strata is a democracy thing... if there's anything you want done... you need to play the game along.
like kramer & george's dad in seinfeld at the retirement home

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Well my council just decided to remove buzzing people into the building for safety issues even though we have a security guard on watch 24/7. Fun.
that's b/c they realize this is their 24/7 security guard on watch

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #7691

Quote:
Check on the length thing. I have heard from my friends in different strata where their building has 1yr limit on seat, although it's for the position they are in and I thought that's quite common and I thought mine was a bit fuck'd up when I heard it's 2 yrs.

Get to know your neighbours, and then ask them to support you to add amendments to bylaws. You just need enough vote. I've had neighbours to go as far as soft bribing (BBQ party, distributing cookies suite to suite... etc) just to get enough vote for strata to amend the type of dogs others can have.

Check how much counts as having quorum (the q'ty needed to make a decision made binding), and make enough friends to make a special general meeting (it's better than waiting until AGM) and vote...
That's whats so frustrating about this for me. In my building we are literally talking about 90% of the owners are over 50 years of age. And 75% of them are retired and probably well past 70 y/o.

So they have all the time in the world to sit around the building common areas and play scrabble and bullshit with each other, whereas I someone who has a fucking life and a job, have no interest in trying to pander to them.

So the people on strata have all the time in the world to brainwash these old fogies, and I who has way more reasonable ideas about how to make our building better and save money so our maintenance fees don't spiral out of control, am just made out to look like a fool while I am not present at their spades games at 11am on a tuesday.

I have maybe two other owners on a side with me, cause they are sick of having a 15-20k special assesment every year, because these old people like to renovate our fucking courtyard all the time, or repaint the building, or whatever other ridiculous project they can come up with.

The worst part about our special assessments is the people on council which make the decisions relating to which companies to hire or the work that needs to be performed have literally no concept of construction. Whereas I do this for a living every fucking day, you think when I say something they might listen, but they literally stare at you with a stupid look and proceed to do whatever retarded bullshit they were going to do before.

I'm getting pissed just thinking about this. which is why I eventually let it go, cause it's actually not worth the headache.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #7692
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
That's whats so frustrating about this for me. In my building we are literally talking about 90% of the owners are over 50 years of age. And 75% of them are retired and probably well past 70 y/o.

So they have all the time in the world to sit around the building common areas and play scrabble and bullshit with each other, whereas I someone who has a fucking life and a job, have no interest in trying to pander to them.

So the people on strata have all the time in the world to brainwash these old fogies, and I who has way more reasonable ideas about how to make our building better and save money so our maintenance fees don't spiral out of control, am just made out to look like a fool while I am not present at their spades games at 11am on a tuesday.

I have maybe two other owners on a side with me, cause they are sick of having a 15-20k special assesment every year, because these old people like to renovate our fucking courtyard all the time, or repaint the building, or whatever other ridiculous project they can come up with.

The worst part about our special assessments is the people on council which make the decisions relating to which companies to hire or the work that needs to be performed have literally no concept of construction. Whereas I do this for a living every fucking day, you think when I say something they might listen, but they literally stare at you with a stupid look and proceed to do whatever retarded bullshit they were going to do before.

I'm getting pissed just thinking about this. which is why I eventually let it go, cause it's actually not worth the headache.
we were in a similar situation before. 1st 20min of an AGM they fight/bicker about politics of 1 group supporting a guy that was kicked off the board vs another group. not fun watching old people yell at each other with zero logic

sad thing was that they had 1 board member that was an architect (he actually knew stuff vs everyone else that didn't know ANYTHING about construction) and his voice gets lost/ignored during all the arguing. we got out as it was a gong show and i knew the people, strata, and building manager didn't have a clue.

when you need repairs/construction done, and you have access to people in the field of construction giving free sincere advice and you ignore them, alarm bells are sounding in my head. ever thought of selling/moving? that's too stressful for me man.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #7693

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
like kramer & george's dad in seinfeld at the retirement home

that's b/c they realize this is their 24/7 security guard on watch

How can you make a Seinfeld reference and not use this image.

Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #7694
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Preaching to the choir. I was on our council for 5/6 years we lived there, president for 3 or those 5 working through a full building envelope remediation project. Most frustrating experience in my life those 2.5 years from when we found out the building needed work to the time the last sacffild was removed.

Spend some time on council, and you'll realize how many owners are morons, self serving, expect everything to be done for them and cheap, and generally don't give an F. That's a big part of the reason we decided to pay the extra premium and be the own boss of our property.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #7695
I subscribe to Revscene

Chinese Envoy Challenges Vancouver Home Tax as Fallout Spreads - Bloomberg

Quote:
Liu said she has expressed qualms to some provincial ministers after receiving calls from distressed Chinese students locked in contracts to buy homes but unable to drum up the extra cash to pay the tax.

Liu says BC needs to improve transit, I assume to make the burbs more accessible/desirable. Yeah, on whose dime? I'd say a 15% tax on foreign speculators is a good start.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #7696

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
"Why a 15 percent tax? Why now? Why this rate? What’s the purpose? Will it work?" Liu Fei, China’s consul general in Vancouver, said in an interview Thursday. "The issue is how to help young people afford housing," she added. "I’m not sure even a 50 percent tax would solve the problem."
Good idea, I think she's on to something.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #7697
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
Chinese Envoy Challenges Vancouver Home Tax as Fallout Spreads - Bloomberg

Liu says BC needs to improve transit, I assume to make the burbs more accessible/desirable. Yeah, on whose dime? I'd say a 15% tax on foreign speculators is a good start.
Her last sentence, "We can send people to the moon -- housing is just a small problem," demonstrates how little she knows about the dire situations many Canadians are facing and how callous she is as a person. These Chinese diplomats are absolutely unbelievable. Hey China, just because you are rich now it doesn't mean Canadians will kowtow (no pun intended) to you at every juncture. This 15% is a good start and hopefully the government will follow with more measures if things doesn't cool down.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #7698

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Perhaps a bit off topic, condos in Alberta (Especially downtown Edmonton/Calgary) have been taking a shit kicking over the last few months, if the rate of depreciation continues I would say things are heading for a cliff of sorts.

From my perspective the financial agony of Alberta will last at least another 18 months, I expect some really nasty statistics to come out in the fall for employment and real estate.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #7699

So stoked I dodged that bullet and sold my condo in that shithole when I did. One of the craziest things there for the condo market is the condo fees. I wouldn't pay over 100k for a condo if my fees are going to be 600 a month. Put that in your mortgage and you can buy a fucking house there.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #7700
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
^ Are the higher strata costs in AB due to cost of snow removal?

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote