REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #7751
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
My favourite idiots are the ones who bought a place (say $1.6 million) and assign false net worth based on it.

Which makes them purchase other things that would otherwise be out of their range such as a fancier car, fancier clothes etc.

They live under the delusion that their home value is always physical and can thus be added to their other assets. So they get this euphoric high out of it and start racking up consumer debt (in addition to mortgage) because they're supposedly a millionaire. It's only physical when you cash out at a profit, otherwise the value remains in thin air.

But hey, first world mentality right?
What exactly do you think a net worth is? It's an estimate at a given time of what would be in your bank account at the end of the day if you sold everything and repaid all debt. I agree that people let it go to their head sometimes that they think of themselves as this savvy investor who has made their way with real estate when the reality is any idiot who bought just about any house is looking very smart right now despite no effort or expertise on their part.

But with that said, there is nothing "false" about their net worth by including their house in it. A $1.6MM house is not guaranteed to be worth that in one year or ten years, but if there is a reasonable expectation it could be resold today for $1.6MM, then its value is $1.6MM, regardless of whether you or I think the real estate market is overhyped.

"It's only physical when you cash out at a profit, otherwise the value remains in thin air."

Uhh... a house is physical all the time. You know, it's a thing, you live in. On the other hand, your stock portfolio is very much a hypothetical thing... it's only real when you cash out at a profit. And statistically the volatility of the equity market dwarfs the housing market, so that's not really a great case to make for why your friends are idiots for including their house values in their estimate of their net worth...

Mark
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2016, 06:58 AM   #7752
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lol peeps touchy when it comes to kids eh?

Do whatever you want. But when you become a single parent, or can no longer afford to live in the city, don't go bitching about the price of RE or how you can't afford to live in a 3+ bed house. The decisions you've made put yourself in that position. "Love" don't fill dat investment portfolio.

Don't see how you can argue against being trapped in the rat race, as CiC may put it, if you've got a kid or large family though. From that point on you've got obligations to fill for the next 25 years. These aforementioned people who always take vacations etc with their kids must have excellent jobs to be able to strike such a balance.
Not really at least from some ppl I know. One of my aunts takes vacation every summer to Japan, Korea, Thailand etc etc but only her husband works and her kid is studying at SFU. Her and her husband lives in HK in those affordable housing built by the gov (I think their rent is like $500 CAN if you convert it back). Not rich at all since they have no assets and always complain about money issue to my mom. We on the other hand haven't gone to family vacation in years and years. My parents basically never went ton trips at all, doesn't spend much or eat out but is sitting on a nice house and renting the basement unit.

Lot's of people just want to enjoy life now and worry about retirement later or better yet let the gov pay for their retirement. That's the worse a person can do, just look at how Greece turn out.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #7753
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Well I have a lot more respect for your parents than I would your relatives living on social assistance and using the remainder for vacations as opposed to bettering their situation.

It's becoming a race to the bottom.

One last point re: kids/family: times have changed so much in the last 30 years and financially, even in the last 3-5 that it's night and day from when us 30 somethings grew up.

I know plenty of people who grew up in north/west van with parents of completely modest incomes. Paying off a west Van mortgage before you were 40/50 with dual incomes as a mechanic and receptionist were completely Normal 25-30 years ago. Back then being a mechanic or a trade was a respectable job, earned an honest living that you could provide for a family on.

Fast forward to today, and you could have two university educated people earning close to 6 figures a peice, and you can't afford a townhouse in east Van.

The topic of family is completely relevant to RE discussion imo.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #7754
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,132 Times in 7,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
What exactly do you think a net worth is? It's an estimate at a given time of what would be in your bank account at the end of the day if you sold everything and repaid all debt. I agree that people let it go to their head sometimes that they think of themselves as this savvy investor who has made their way with real estate when the reality is any idiot who bought just about any house is looking very smart right now despite no effort or expertise on their part.

But with that said, there is nothing "false" about their net worth by including their house in it. A $1.6MM house is not guaranteed to be worth that in one year or ten years, but if there is a reasonable expectation it could be resold today for $1.6MM, then its value is $1.6MM, regardless of whether you or I think the real estate market is overhyped.

"It's only physical when you cash out at a profit, otherwise the value remains in thin air."

Uhh... a house is physical all the time. You know, it's a thing, you live in. On the other hand, your stock portfolio is very much a hypothetical thing... it's only real when you cash out at a profit. And statistically the volatility of the equity market dwarfs the housing market, so that's not really a great case to make for why your friends are idiots for including their house values in their estimate of their net worth...

Mark
I think he's getting at the people who think because they live in a 1.6 million dollar home that the bank owns 1.2 million of consider themselves as "owning" that home. People with these massive mortgages need to stop considering themselves homeowners.
All I did was pay a down payment to get a landlord (the bank) that couldn't tell me what to do quite as much and wouldn't wake me up with her 4am coke binges in the suite below me.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #7755
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
some nice areas
what are on those lots right now?
• 177 West Pender Street: Empty lot

• 3510 Fraser Street: Enterprise Rent a Car

• 2221 Main Street: Easy Park lot on Main and 7th

• 55-79 and 87-115 Southwest Marine Drive: Houses that sit across the st from McDonalds/Best Buy on Marine Drive

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #7756
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

One last point re: kids/family: times have changed so much in the last 30 years and financially, even in the last 3-5 that it's night and day from when us 30 somethings grew up.

I know plenty of people who grew up in north/west van with parents of completely modest incomes. Paying off a west Van mortgage before you were 40/50 with dual incomes as a mechanic and receptionist were completely Normal 25-30 years ago. Back then being a mechanic or a trade was a respectable job, earned an honest living that you could provide for a family on.

Fast forward to today, and you could have two university educated people earning close to 6 figures a peice, and you can't afford a townhouse in east Van.

The topic of family is completely relevant to RE discussion imo.
The game has definitely changed and there's no going back, no matter how many people want it to. I compare buying housing today to buying a modern car: you look at the costs in terms of a monthly payment. Most new houses and apartments are built poorly anyway, just like modern cars. The difference between the two is that housing, particularly if it includes land, tends to appreciate unlike most cars. And housing allows for leverage, which allows people to accumulate more assets.

People can still afford to have kids and have a condo or townhouse, or even house (like in Maple Ridge or Abbotsford), but it all comes down to priorities. Social media and easy credit has changed perceptions around what people think they need. It's good for people in sales and marketing, but not so much for people's pocketbooks.

As I said before, the dirty secret among a lot of child-rearing millennials is at least one source of income coming from the public sector. Job security, steady salaries, parental leave top-ups, and defined benefit pensions. These are things that allow couples to secure mortgages and take more risks with respect to taking on more debt and getting a larger house than they would normally be able to afford.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #7757
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
As I said before, the dirty secret among a lot of child-rearing millennials is at least one source of income coming from the public sector. Job security, steady salaries, parental leave top-ups, and defined benefit pensions. These are things that allow couples to secure mortgages and take more risks with respect to taking on more debt and getting a larger house than they would normally be able to afford.
Brilliant statement, and so very true.
My wife is starting her job at a school board next month, while I'm self employed. Some years I make mad cash, other years, not so much...

That's where the gov't job comes in. Unless you're in a serious social situation, you're going to get paid in your gov't job.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #7758
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Brilliant statement, and so very true.
My wife is starting her job at a school board next month, while I'm self employed. Some years I make mad cash, other years, not so much...

That's where the gov't job comes in. Unless you're in a serious social situation, you're going to get paid in your gov't job.
This is not entirely true. Just because your job is at public sector, it doesn't give you a full job security.

It all depends. A lot of public sector employers would rather NOT hire "permanent full time" employee. They will still try to cut the budget and not create permanent position when they make union contract.

Auxiliary/Seasonal/Casual employees are in most danger of getting fired/laid off. They can easily word it in a way that's legitimate and let you go. Often unfair or unreasonable but what can you do.

Permanent Full Time:
35hrs-40hrs a week, good benefit and everything
Permanent Part Time: 15-17.5hrs a week, you're still entitled for all the benefits but lesser amount
Temporary Full Time: You will have to get re-hired after 6-12 month or never come back.
Temporary Part Time: Same as above, these "temporary" jobs are usually for covering someone's maternity leave
Auxiliary: No job security, union won't care about you much, however you will get % of lieu in benefit
Seasonal/Casual: Usually very seasonal, summer job, winter job, etc.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #7759

The examples you're using are not what tapioca was talking about id think.

He's talking about strictly the full-time permanent positions where, if you show up every day, you'll have a job for life. Or at the very least get a great severance on your way out.

I doubt anyone is planning their life out for the next 20 on temp part time-summer public sector work.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #7760

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
This is not entirely true. Just because your job is at public sector, it doesn't give you a full job security.

It all depends. A lot of public sector employers would rather NOT hire "permanent full time" employee. They will still try to cut the budget and not create permanent position when they make union contract.

Auxiliary/Seasonal/Casual employees are in most danger of getting fired/laid off. They can easily word it in a way that's legitimate and let you go. Often unfair or unreasonable but what can you do.

Permanent Full Time:
35hrs-40hrs a week, good benefit and everything
Permanent Part Time: 15-17.5hrs a week, you're still entitled for all the benefits but lesser amount
Temporary Full Time: You will have to get re-hired after 6-12 month or never come back.
Temporary Part Time: Same as above, these "temporary" jobs are usually for covering someone's maternity leave
Auxiliary: No job security, union won't care about you much, however you will get % of lieu in benefit
Seasonal/Casual: Usually very seasonal, summer job, winter job, etc.
I was a "casual" public sector employee for 3 years and I worked well over 2000 hours each year. It's actually extremely common for "casual" employees at my work place to work as much as or more hours than the permanent full-time employees.

Definitely not seasonal.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #7761

On the topic of real estate, heres a couple photos of the new place we moved into July 29th.
Untitled by Chris West, on Flickr
640 sq foot 1BR and den + 130 sq foot patio. Backs onto protected land, stream, forest. North Van. Paid 340k 1 year ago. Similar units are selling for a shade over 400k now, but it seems its dropping off a little bit. Need to use my HELOC to buy e30 m3 or 911 before it drops back down.
Also, we will be adjusting/purchasing furniture that fits the shape better (reversing the sectional, etc) but for now just enjoying a place of our own (banks)
I'm SO happy living in north van. Its the exact shift in lifestyle I needed to calm down a bit. The stress of how busy kits is was taking its toll a bit.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 08-16-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #7762
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
nice...don`t forget to upgrade to a bigger tv

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #7763

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Ductless split AC in an apartment that small must be nice. Does it heat, too?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #7764
God of Unce

Nice! Now where to find a similiar place like that to rent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Spoiler!
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #7765
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
@westopher How is the traffic so far?

Back when I left in 2013 it was like North Van was a well kept secret... Now it's like there is a massive push to develop it and the traffic seems fucked.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #7766

Traffic is bad, but not as bad as just regular van traffic. Its honestly a fucking nightmare in the whole GVRD. The infrastructure of this city is a fucking catastrophe, and all they plan on doing is removing roads to build condos. My steering wheel is so fucked from punching it I need to order a new airbag because of the fist marks in the BMW logo. That said I bus to work in 15-20 minutes, and the same on the way home to/from downtown vancouver. Its as fast as kits because the bus gets to skip the traffic lineup onto the bridge.
The A/C heats as well and I've been sleeping like a baby in our nice cool place the last couple weeks.
As for the TV, it stays. Last thing I need is a bigger black square that gets used for the occasional live comedy show haha.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #7767
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
On the topic of real estate, heres a couple photos of the new place we moved into July 29th.
640 sq foot 1BR and den + 130 sq foot patio. Backs onto protected land, stream, forest. North Van. Paid 340k 1 year ago. Similar units are selling for a shade over 400k now, but it seems its dropping off a little bit. Need to use my HELOC to buy e30 m3 or 911 before it drops back down.
Also, we will be adjusting/purchasing furniture that fits the shape better (reversing the sectional, etc) but for now just enjoying a place of our own (banks)
I'm SO happy living in north van. Its the exact shift in lifestyle I needed to calm down a bit. The stress of how busy kits is was taking its toll a bit.
Very nice place! A Classic Joe on the deck tops it all off too!
chunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #7768
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
My gofundme senses are tingling...

HELP WESTOPHER GET A BIGGER TELEVISION - Click to donate...
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #7769

If I cash it in do I need to get the bigger TV? I want BMW motorsport seatbelts.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #7770
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armind View Post
Nice! Now where to find a similiar place like that to rent..
more than you can afford pal...

Quote:
The infrastructure of this city is a fucking catastrophe, and all they plan on doing is removing roads to build bike lanes.
fixed

Quote:
If I cash it in do I need to get the bigger TV? I want BMW motorsport seatbelts.
only if it was on indiegogo

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #7771
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Now I understand the hate for charcoal BBQ rules.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #7772

I don't have any issues here, thank fuck after I just spent a billion dollars on this BBQ. Just used an example of crusty old idiots with nothing but time to yell at clouds while normal people work.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #7773

fucking love places that back onto forest like that. Whether it be a condo, townhouse, detached home, etc.

growing up my grandparents had an amazing property that backed onto a huge forest which the fraser perimeter road now runs parallel with, places like this always remind me of it.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #7774
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
I don't have any issues here, thank fuck after I just spent a billion dollars on this BBQ. Just used an example of crusty old idiots with nothing but time to yell at clouds while normal people work.
Does it have balcony sprinkler?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #7775

No, but its got a giant ceramic fireproof container to surround the charcoal.
Just sitting outside and actually it does! Full of exciting surprises.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 08-16-2016 at 07:03 PM.