REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #7776
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
RS BBQ meet @ westopher's. Sign up:

1. SkunkWorks
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #7777
God of Unce

1. SkunkWorks
2. Armind
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #7778
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armind View Post

1. SkunkWorks
2. Armind
Damn that's all that's allowed before it gets too cramped in there, maybe next time.

MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #7779
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Shoebox it is, but its got plenty of room for cooking. Here was the first feast for 6 of us with the BBQs maiden voyage.
Untitled by Chris West, on Flickr
We just had to eat standing up
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #7780
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
entrance fee for westopher bbq meat is donation to his seat belt fund

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #7781
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Shoebox it is, but its got plenty of room for cooking. Here was the first feast for 6 of us with the BBQs maiden voyage.
Untitled by Chris West, on Flickr
We just had to eat standing up
Looks like we need to start a BBQ thread in the Food and dining section now!
St Louis cut Ribs and dinner look awesome!
chunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #7782
God of Unce

I want ribs now.. damn you westopher!
Old 08-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #7783
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
@westpher I do find it very interesting that Kits was too hectic for you... the GF and I go back and forth all the time on moving back to rural-ish North Van or Kits/LOLO/English Bay where we can have more of a "walking" lifestyle.

I worry if we move back to rural-ish North Van we will return to a very isolated homely lifestyle, not much is really walking distance so you end up living like you would in Edmonton, driving everywhere :s

On the other hand I worry that living in the more populated areas I will get sick of the people, just as we have living in DT Edmonton.

Tough decisions.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #7784
God of Unce

Vancouver rents on track to jump 20% in 2016 | Metro News
Old 08-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #7785

Jason we just hop the seabus to gastown and have all the best restaurants over there. Kits is kind of the same way. There is stuff there, but if you really are looking for something specific it's a bus ride away. The traffic getting in and out of kits was a daily anyuerism for me on my days off. Getting home from whistler took 3 hours instead of an hour and a half. I found myself ditching riding at Seymour because crossing 2 bridges just took too much time to make a couple hours worth it. Skipping hikes with my dog to walk around the neighbourhood because escaping was near impossible. Not to mention every time I wanted to go for a pint I had to compete for a spot to sit with fucking buddy guy bros that were covered in grease and Armani exchange tankinis. I've spent more time out of the house since I've moved to NV. The step counter on my phone is nearing 20k a day with all the walking I'm doing, and the car only comes out on the days off. It's all what you make of it. I regret not coming here sooner. It's definitely way sleepier and a negative when hoping for late night eats or activities, but I'm 31, married and happy to chill out a bit more often.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #7786
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^ Welcome to suburban living!
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #7787

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Story time

My GF's dad has lived in NVan his entire life, he works with special needs people and probably makes about 30$/hr, he has an ex-GF/business partner of sorts whom he owns a number of heavily leveraged properties with, I believe she makes her living selling some sort of Mary Kay shit, I doubt she breaks 60K/year based on her general appearance and habits etc.

Anyway, they own two apartments worth 400K each and a new townhouse worth about 650K, they rent the two apartments out and currently share the townhouse.

The other day her dad called us and needed to borrow 300$ to cover mortgage costs, he was ashamed but had no other choice than to ask.

W...T....F...

They've bought 2/3 of these places in the last 4 years.

People always point the finger at foreign buyers for everything, these two lower income local degenerates have three properties and can probably barely afford two of them. Boggles my mind, both of these people are almost 60 years old and have zero savings, whatever equity they have could be easily wiped out by a 10-20% correction in prices... I think they actually took out a heloc on the first place to get the down payment needed for the third place.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #7788

Patiently waiting for the globe and mail article that paints them as "victims of the new foreign buyer tax"
"North Van special needs worker loses home due to market downswing"
These are exactly the types of people who's poor decisions make them lose everything. When the market is up they call themselves investors but when the market drops all of the sudden they are a victim. You wanna play the game you better be ready to lose sometimes.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #7789

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
whatever equity they have could be easily wiped out by a 10-20% correction in prices.
They'll be fine.

Spoiler!
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #7790
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Story time
Nice story but not a lot of substance.
A lot of "I thinks" but not much in actual facts.
So both in their 60's. Where did all the money go that they should have accumulated working for the past 30-40 years.

How much do they owe still on each unit.
How much are they getting back in rental income.
Sounds like he has a unionized job with a pension plan.

Do you even know the full story of why he needed to "borrow" $300?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:01 PM   #7791
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I was a "casual" public sector employee for 3 years and I worked well over 2000 hours each year. It's actually extremely common for "casual" employees at my work place to work as much as or more hours than the permanent full-time employees.

Definitely not seasonal.
yeah but it's still different.

say you get hurt or got really sick. You aren't really entitled for sick leave or anything.

also I don't think you'll be getting pension after you retire, no vacation unless you work, and it all adds up.
Things can change over years and they can decrease your hour to 10hours/week or something, and I know many people that had happen.

if 40hrs of work is available year long, that position should be considered as permanent full time, yet they will still label you as auxiliary/casual/seasonal so that they can let you go any time they want.

the prime example is lifeguards at recreation centres.
when the job is available year long, it should be considered as "permanent full time" or "permanent part time" yet they're labelled as "auxiliary"
same as receptionists at municipal hall, recreation centres, etc.

what tend to happen is employees will fight for hours, but they can't..because the employers will keep hiring new staff.

Maybe your situation was different, I don't know.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #7792

Thanked 3,852 Times in 888 Posts
Obviously, but maybe not obvious enough, Tapioca's not talking about seasonal/casual employment. It should be pretty clear what he's referring to in the context of what he is talking about.

Timpo, if it pleases you... yes, seasonal/casual employment has many risks that would make it difficult to commit to buying a house.
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #7793
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Anecdotal evidence, but a couple of years ago we were looking for a house in the 2.5-3k/month rent range, and ended up in Richmond because there was basically nothing in that price range in Burnaby/Vancouver/North Van/West Van.

Nowadays, there are way more options. Odd. Same time of year, too.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 AM   #7794
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Housing prices could cost Richmond businesses their employees: chamber of commerce
Business group says Richmond housing supply is limited by ALR land and height restrictions from airport

By Liam Britten, CBC News Posted: Aug 16, 2016 4:17 PM PT Last Updated: Aug 16, 2016 4:17 PM PT

Housing prices could cost Richmond businesses their employees: chamber of commerce - British Columbia - CBC News

Homes in Richmond. The average price of a detached home in the city is $1.7 million, and the Richmond Chamber of Commerce is worried those high prices and long commutes could cost businesses their employees. (Volodymyr Kyrylyuk/Shutterstock)

Richmond's Chamber of Commerce says the cost of housing is so high, people who work in Richmond can't afford to live there and businesses are at risk of losing those employees.

The chamber conducted a survey of businesses in the city where 65 per cent of respondents said over half of their workers are commuting from outside the city and 60 per cent said housing affordability was a reason why.

"Not only are they losing employees, it's difficult for them to recruit talent," chair Rob Akimow told On The Coast guest host Gloria Macarenko.

"If they're looking at a position in Richmond, they might just look out in those communities of Tri-Cities, or Ladner or Tsawwassen [instead] ... especially if they have a young family."

The average price of a detached home in Richmond is $1.7 million, says the chamber.

While that's not a unique situation in the Lower Mainland, they say Richmond's supply is limited by 39 percent of the city's land being protected in the Agricultural Land Reserve and height restrictions because of the airport.

Commutes, they say, are made worse by Richmond having a few traffic bottlenecks as people try to get into and out of the island and because some employers — like the airport — draw in such large numbers of employees.

Akimow says local businesses want to see a solution, and in their mind, that solution is "Supply, supply, supply."

"Density is the key," he said. "We would encourage and advocate for all levels of government to continue to build our regional strategy with respect to affordable housing and densification."
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:52 AM   #7795
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Patiently waiting for the globe and mail article that paints them as "victims of the new foreign buyer tax"
These are exactly the types of people who's poor decisions make them lose everything. When the market is up they call themselves investors but when the market drops all of the sudden they are a victim. You wanna play the game you better be ready to lose sometimes.
Same type of people in 2007. Did you guys know over 60% of Americans don't have savings over $1000? And 3 in 10 Canadians are living pay cheque to pay chequeu or spending more than they earn.

Personal finance is as old as the hill but most people haven't the slightest idea. They only care about driving that new German car, having that real estate regardless of how much debt they carry. It's not that people don't want to learn, they're just too greedy shit start coming up to their brains.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 AM   #7796
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
People always point the finger at foreign buyers for everything, these two lower income local degenerates have three properties and can probably barely afford two of them. Boggles my mind, both of these people are almost 60 years old and have zero savings, whatever equity they have could be easily wiped out by a 10-20% correction in prices... I think they actually took out a heloc on the first place to get the down payment needed for the third place.
Agree. I think at least 57.09125% of the problem is locals trying to be Donald Trump

Quote:
almost there

Vancouver real estate: Family?s home sale marred in uncertainty by tax | Vancouver Sun

Spoiler!
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #7797
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
yeah but it's still different.

say you get hurt or got really sick. You aren't really entitled for sick leave or anything.

also I don't think you'll be getting pension after you retire, no vacation unless you work, and it all adds up.
Things can change over years and they can decrease your hour to 10hours/week or something, and I know many people that had happen.

if 40hrs of work is available year long, that position should be considered as permanent full time, yet they will still label you as auxiliary/casual/seasonal so that they can let you go any time they want.

the prime example is lifeguards at recreation centres.
when the job is available year long, it should be considered as "permanent full time" or "permanent part time" yet they're labelled as "auxiliary"
same as receptionists at municipal hall, recreation centres, etc.

what tend to happen is employees will fight for hours, but they can't..because the employers will keep hiring new staff.

Maybe your situation was different, I don't know.
Public sector worker here. AUX at my work can often work up to 40hrs (RFT like myself is 35hrs) but you're right, it ain't the same. Despite the fact AUXs can work more hrs and also getting paid in lieu of I think 16% extra they have no sick time, no VAC time, no benefits and that 16% is supposed to cover it all. If you do the math compared to a RFT they actually need to be getting well over 20% in lieu of to be equal. Plus for periods they may get full time hrs but they can just as easily drop back down to 20 something hrs if we're slow. Additionally, I don't believe they start contributing to a pension until they are RPT at least but I could be wrong.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #7798
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Fuck..need to get in on dat public sector
Old 08-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #7799
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Damn, property manager finally caught wind of people doing car maintenance in the parkade and issued a general notice.

I've been doing basic oil and coolant changes every few months, but there's a guy that does suspension and brake work on his two beaters seemingly every other week (seriously who puts that much effort into an old Saturn?)

I think the thing that broke the camel's back was when a new resident started modding his cars on a weekly basis; a few days ago they were spraypainting their rims over the weekend, stinking up the entire garage.

Pretty much ruining it for the rest of us. #stratalife.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #7800
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
We've got a workshop/paint room in our building, each room is approx 20X50 and only 4 people in the entire building have a key lol

Doing painting/wood work at all hours ftw