REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Fashionable and warm winter jackets?

Hey guys, winter is creeping up. Do want a few new winter jackets for this season. Any suggestions? Preferably semiformal or jackets you could wear button ups and business attire with.
Thanks!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,534 Times in 555 Posts
You can never go wrong with a wool coat for business attire.

Trench coat style or the shorter jacket style. Take your pick!
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Fabric: Wool, wool, wool! Cheaper coats will have a wool blend, often with higher concentrations of polyester. Wool is warmer and wears better.

Styles:

Car Coat:

Pea Coat (could probably find these cheaper at a military surplus store):

Note: J. Crew makes a pea coat lined with Thinsulate synthetic insulation which would be super warm.

Duffle/Toggle Coat:

Trenchcoat (3/4 length shown, full length will hit the knee - tie the belt, you'll look better):

Stylish, less warm choices: (add some layers underneath)

Chore Coat:

Leather Jacket: (double rider shown)

Last edited by woob; 10-04-2012 at 11:12 PM.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
'

Thanks woob! Sadly Im kinda allergic to wool WOOPS should've asked what brands you guys recommend instead of styles
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #5

(lol I've been looking at some coats to buy recently too)

Other brands: Barbour, Filson, Norse Projects, Club Monaco, Zara, H&M, etc. (obviously these brands aren't all the same quality)

Indochino has also recently started offering outerwear and the jackets all look pretty damn good, but the jury is still out on quality.

Alternatively, you could always go the Canada Goose/Nobis/Mooseknuckle route but it's never THAT cold in Van, and they don't really fit the bus-cas/semi-formal look
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
When it comes to most jackets altogether, I've always liked G-Star. I'm not a fan of the brand altogether, but I've always liked their selection and fits of jackets. I have a leather, a wool, a thick winter bomber, and a couple light casuals from them.

@OP
If you're allergic to wool, your choices are a little limited when it comes to stylish semi-formal..

If it were me, and wool/leather was out of the question, I'd go with a soft-shell from Arc'teryx, Columbia, North Face, or something of that sort. It's a little more of a grown-up smart look, but it makes sense in your situation. Also these jackets are durable and warm as hell. Had one for 3 years and still looks like-new.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

This is all you need eh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000004.jpg (91.6 KB, 0 views)
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

HYBRIDGE JACKET | Canada Goose

I personally have this one, its nice and slim fit. It's windproof and warm.
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
I was looking at the Hybridge too. This is one of the few things I'd actually consider from Canada Goose.

The parkas are way too overkill. They're made for mountains and extreme conditions. It's never gonna be cold enough in Vancouver to actually need that heavy of a jacket. One of my friends was wearing one on one of the coldest Vancouver days, and he was sweating from wearing just a t-shirt under the parka.

I hate how they've become more of a fashion statement/status symbol than anything.

But hey.. to each their own.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

Yeah, I was looking for a peacoat type thing as well..
I saw one at Guess which was $200, but I think that's too expensive for something from Guess, no?
I want one as the OP said, semi-formal, pea coat type thingy but not like the top collars going outwards, I want it more of a turtle-neck type which you zip up then button..
Any suggestions? I am looking for one around $100, not too expensive. I tried H&M but they're way to short.
rzrshrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Fabric: Wool, wool, wool! Cheaper coats will have a wool blend, often with higher concentrations of polyester. Wool is warmer and wears better.

Styles:

Trenchcoat (3/4 length shown, full length will hit the knee - tie the belt, you'll look better):
Whoa, this jacket looks super nice. What brand is this or where can i find something similar to this jacket?

Thanks
wyuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
Thanks woob! Sadly Im kinda allergic to wool WOOPS should've asked what brands you guys recommend instead of styles
Posted via RS Mobile
Try cotton instead of wool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrshrp View Post
I saw one at Guess which was $200, but I think that's too expensive for something from Guess, no?
I want one as the OP said, semi-formal, pea coat type thingy but not like the top collars going outwards, I want it more of a turtle-neck type which you zip up then button..
Any suggestions? I am looking for one around $100, not too expensive. I tried H&M but they're way to short.
You want a car coat, but at $100, your choices are slim. H&M and F21 come to mind. If you've got a proxy in the states, you could try Uniqlo for $99.90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyuzz View Post
Whoa, this jacket looks super nice. What brand is this or where can i find something similar to this jacket?
I'm not sure where that's from. I just snagged the photo off the web. Just based on the photo, though, I think it's a Club Monaco coat from an old collection.

Most mens clothing brands will carry something like it. Check out H&M, Zara, Qlo on the cheap end, J. Crew, Club Monaco, etc. if you're willing to spend more. And of course Burberry if you're super loaded.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
fashionable jackets usually arent terribly warm.
the good thing is that the more you layer under them the better you look
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

Good thing you made that call, because if you paid $200 for something from guess, you'd be paying for something with low quality fabric, second tier construction and essentially garbage.
ToddPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Field jackets have been in you could get a winter one if you wanted something different from the business look

like so

Nanamica goretex field jacket

golden goose

if you're ballin

moncler field jacket

if you're ballin outta control

armani

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-07-2012 at 09:22 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I have one from Columbia that I wear since high school (Yea yea is been over 15years but still fits and looks new). I think in terms jackets I like those skiing sports jacket like NorthFace or Columbia. Sure they might not be in fashion but they are never made to be in fashion.

I use mine since highschool and is still warm. Not to mention is easy to wash too! Just throw it in the washer. Also they last a long time too. I got mine for $299 at that time but is well worth it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Somethign Warm, Fashionable and for <$100 is hard to find unless its on sale or something. Most fashionable (and acceptable for kinda formal occasions) would be peacoats, duffle coat or that sort. Seeing how you're allergic to wool really limits your options. Maybe look for a down or insulated jacket then, as those are very warm. Price wise, it will likely be >$100

I personally have a North Face jacket (plasma therma, not one of those 700 down jackets) that is really warm (not fashionable) but damn it does the job. Got it super cheap on sale for $120.

Quote:
Hey guys, winter is creeping up. Do want a few new winter jackets for this season. Any suggestions? Preferably semiformal or jackets you could wear button ups and business attire with.
Thanks!
Posted via RS Mobile
I'd recommend getting a peacoat from Temple of Jawnz if you don't mind the incredibly long lead time. Made to measure peacoat, duffle, and really nice leathers, but a bit pricier.
http://templeofjawnz.com/
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post

i think i'll buy that for my Halloween costume

and what the entire fuck,dear watson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
armani
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #19

personally vouch for Schott NYC..bought one of their pea coats last year and quality was amazing. Downside was it was super heavy lol..

and if you're looking into that brand..much cheaper to buy from Karmaloop with their occasional 25% to 30% promos
cctw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
'

thanks for all the suggestions guys! ended up getting a JL jacket, zara and h&m lol. highly recommend zara jackets haha. i wonder how it will hold up overtime. also want a canada goose hybridge lite jacket but its pretty costly
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ wow 3 jackets at once@@
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #22
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Moncler or Canada Goose is all you neeeeeed.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #23

Quote:
thanks for all the suggestions guys! ended up getting a JL jacket, zara and h&m lol. highly recommend zara jackets haha. i wonder how it will hold up overtime. also want a canada goose hybridge lite jacket but its pretty costly
fit pics!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I have been falling in love with the Filson brand. All of their stuff seems to be well built, ultra durable, and all made in the USA. Some of their stuff might be a bit expensive but I'm sure the price is fine if you pay for designer brands.

The tincloth they use is awesome for rain!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #25

Filson, Barbour, and Penfield are great for that Americana/workwear aesthetic.