REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #76
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
you'd be better off opening an asian supermarket

the workers aren't going to be making enough to eat out

half or more of their pay is going back to china to the people who allowed them to get these jobs and half of the other half is going to their families (if not more)

so open up a supermarket selling really cheap/bulk asian food products and you're set (like rice and canned veggies)
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #77
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
There was a discussion in my class about this, in conclusion its a benefit to Canada.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #78
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
you'd be better off opening an asian supermarket

the workers aren't going to be making enough to eat out
Probably a good idea with the imported workers. If you're talking regular union-wage locals though...

Some 25-30 years ago, my dad renovated a couple Chinese restaurants around town here (anyone remember the Pearl Inn in PoCo?)... the owner of those then asked him to build a Chinese restaurant for him in Ft. St. John. By the time he was finished that, he had two more jobs to build restaurants up there.

Dad figured over 50% of the businesses in FSJ, at least back then, were eateries of some sort - people had lots of disposable income, and not always a lot of free time to cook, so they ate out all the time.

Of course, working for a Chinese guy, Dad was fed a *lot* of Chinese food... but *real* Chinese food, not the "westernized" menus: lots of boiled veggies and the like. Lost a BUNCH of weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #79
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
There was a discussion in my class about this, in conclusion its a benefit to Canada.
a 'talk' in class is great, but its just some arsehole's opinion (teacher, lecturer, or student)

here's a thought - lets get rid of the social welfare state we live in, and say 'as long as you're mentally and physically A OK to work, and there are jobs available - no social welfare past XYZ number of months'

i don't understand an able bodied person who is not working, unless by choice

i have worked every week (bar my vacation) from age 17, through university, all the way - this won't end until i have enough money to provide me passive income that will be greater than my cash outflows - hopefully sooner than later

same thing happened in england, we (the english), opened up our country to immigrants to take the shite jobs - now look what cluster fuck of a situation england is in - huge amounts of social welfare expenditures, lazy arse sons of bitches, unemployed immigrants (as their jobs are now gone)

do i blame the chinese workers? no - if they lost their jobs (economic downturn, coal prices tank, mine goes on care and maintenance) crusty clark would send them back to china - i blame the pussy politicians and lazy canadians who are too pussy to work in a mine

and for the record, i'm WAY too pussy to work in a mine, that's why i got an education!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #80

I bet your white and dont want the those scapegoats working chinese in Canada.

No body is willing or has the experience to work in a mine in Canada, every Canadian is too pussy to get blown up it's too dangerous. Canada rather pay experienced workers from China to work for them because in the end each worker get about 10k total whole year. The fees for a working visa cost them from 10k-30k. Oh and if a chinese get blown up its just a write off, if that shit happened in Canada insurance money is going to go up.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #81
Need to Seek Professional Help

Last edited by m!chael; 11-05-2018 at 09:29 PM.
m!chael is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #82

The point is, there aren't enough Canadians willing to work up north or have the experience. This country is too rich in the mining area. I know the white folks don't want the Chinese workers to stay but after the job is done they will leave to go home. Which brings another topic... What if, there are so much to mine that more and more Chinese comes to Canada.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #83

Quote:
I bet your white and dont want the those scapegoats working chinese in Canada.

No body is willing or has the experience to work in a mine in Canada, every Canadian is too pussy to get blown up it's too dangerous. Canada rather pay experienced workers from China to work for them because in the end each worker get about 10k total whole year. The fees for a working visa cost them from 10k-30k. Oh and if a chinese get blown up its just a write off, if that shit happened in Canada insurance money is going to go up.
Wow, nice work, biggot

I am an immigrant to this country, who works hard, pays my taxes

I said straight up that I'm too pussy to work in a mine, that's why I have one hell of an education, which cost me a loooooot of money (my money)

What I want is Canadians (white, yellow, brown, green, purple) who are on welfare to either take the job, or stop collecting welfare (mental and physical issues, aside) before we bring in cheaper labour
I have no problem with foreigners when there is a need - they want to come here, work hard, earn more money than they can do at home, but with a 7% unemployment rate, and a social welfare state like we have, I don't think it's needed
Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #84

Im sorry for being a biggot, just refer back to MoBettah's post.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
I am an immigrant to this country, who works hard, pays my taxes

What I want is Canadians (white, yellow, brown, green, purple) who are on welfare to either take the job, or stop collecting welfare (mental and physical issues, aside) before we bring in cheaper labour
I have no problem with foreigners when there is a need - they want to come here, work hard, earn more money than they can do at home, but with a 7% unemployment rate, and a social welfare state like we have, I don't think it's needed
I'm (at least) third-generation Canadian, about as white as it gets, and I agree with the first paragraph wholeheartedly.

I also agree with the sentiment of the second paragraph... however, as long as those able-bodied slackers refuse to take jobs that are available, import workers ARE needed - the jobs still need to be done.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #86
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
No disrespect intended, I'm talking about hipsters like me, hehe

Working, a labour job outside of the city, busting your balls in a dangerous space?!?!

ugh
Exactly.

And besides, teenagers these days aren't graduating high school and then going into the trades. It is no longer desirable and now there is a negative stigma attached to it. You are lesser in society here if you don't have a University degree. I graduated high school not to long ago and my auto shop class was incredibly small, only 15 kids in our class and only 1 girl.
Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I'm (at least) third-generation Canadian, about as white as it gets, and I agree with the first paragraph wholeheartedly.

I also agree with the sentiment of the second paragraph... however, as long as those able-bodied slackers refuse to take jobs that are available, import workers ARE needed - the jobs still need to be done.
That's exactly what I'm saying - but if Canadian person won't do the job, take his/her benefits away, then you'll see more interest being shown
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #88

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBettah View Post
These are the facts.

Companies don't save money by bringing foreign nationals in. Period. It's federal law that dictates you have to pay them the going wage. This isn't Dubai.

Secondly, there is a labour shortage.

How many of you read and hear about the wages and salaries up North and actually are willing to sacrifice and take the leap of faith to go try it for a few years? Be introspective. You've read the articles, you might know people who have done it, but how many of you are just too content to go outside your comfort zones for an opportunity? How many of you are willing to sacrifice your so called work-life balance?

During occupy Vancouver, the mayor of a small town in BC (Dawson Creek) came down and offered jobs to the protesters, as long as they were willing to relocate they would be paid 50-80K/year even with no post secondary or trades education. How many people took him up on his offer? Zero.

You can't have it both ways, this thread is full of hypocrisy and scape goating. You can complain about these opportunities being given to foreign nationals (not just Chinese btw, the Americans have been allowed to do this forever, but we're ok with the US stealing "our jobs"), or you can get off your asses and go make money that would allow you to retire at 40.

Like I said earlier, we're fortunate enough to live in what is one of the strongest economies in the WORLD right now. You can choose to be a part of it, or whine and protest against it.
thanks for putting things into perspective
If I took a job last week I would've been lowballed for someone with a professional education
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #89
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
saw this article today
Chinese miner files rights complaint against union | CTV British Columbia News

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #90
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Probably a good idea with the imported workers. If you're talking regular union-wage locals though...

Some 25-30 years ago, my dad renovated a couple Chinese restaurants around town here (anyone remember the Pearl Inn in PoCo?)... the owner of those then asked him to build a Chinese restaurant for him in Ft. St. John. By the time he was finished that, he had two more jobs to build restaurants up there.

Dad figured over 50% of the businesses in FSJ, at least back then, were eateries of some sort - people had lots of disposable income, and not always a lot of free time to cook, so they ate out all the time.

Of course, working for a Chinese guy, Dad was fed a *lot* of Chinese food... but *real* Chinese food, not the "westernized" menus: lots of boiled veggies and the like. Lost a BUNCH of weight.
This is reassuring to hear actually since I'm going into this business in buttfuck alberta.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #91

Keep in mind that this was 25-30 years ago when the area was booming with mining *and* dam workers... it may or may not translate to where you're going.
Quote:
Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #92
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I live in Tumbler Ridge and they just got done building a bunch of brand new houses (modular homes) for these guys. Looks like De Hua is treating these guys good.

There are a bunch of mines around this area and due to recent economic slow down 2 have shut down and 1 is in rough shape. The chinese coming into town will actually stimulate the economy around this area and do some good. Speaking to some of the guys I work with they actually don't have a problem with these guys coming, in fact one guy mentioned a lot of people don't actually want to work in a underground mine let alone coal. There is a mine right close to the chinese mines and they drill and blast an open pit mine which will cause major vibrations to the chinese mines which make it that much more dangerous.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
V4NCITYRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #93
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Agreed. Chinese workers will stimulate the economy, and I find it funny that such an uproar has been brought up by this subject of importing workers.

Personally I know of 2 Chinese mines that are being built in Northern BC ATM, and afew in operation already. None of them being mentioned, and not receiving any flack. And I highly doubt that they are filled with Canadian workers just for the fact that when we talk with them, we need a translator to speak on behalf of us. (None of their higher up's speak English.)
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #94
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
The point is, there aren't enough Canadians willing to work up north or have the experience. This country is too rich in the mining area. I know the white folks don't want the Chinese workers to stay but after the job is done they will leave to go home. Which brings another topic... What if, there are so much to mine that more and more Chinese comes to Canada.
IIRC, the boss/spokesperson from one of the miner unions said that the union have a sufficiently large number (I forgot the exact numbers, but I'm sure it was over 100) of members who are willing and available to work those mines. This was from an article I read in the Vancouver Sun when the foreign workers hiring came up in the news.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #95

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Lol at someone starting a thread about two-hundred TFW's...

Read me: Temporary Foreign Workers: the full story

Quote:
In 2010, about 182,000 temporary foreign workers (TFWs) entered Canada.
Epic fail of a thread IMO.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Agreed. Chinese workers will stimulate the economy, and I find it funny that such an uproar has been brought up by this subject of importing workers.

Personally I know of 2 Chinese mines that are being built in Northern BC ATM, and afew in operation already. None of them being mentioned, and not receiving any flack. And I highly doubt that they are filled with Canadian workers just for the fact that when we talk with them, we need a translator to speak on behalf of us. (None of their higher up's speak English.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Lol at someone starting a thread about two-hundred TFW's...

Read me: Temporary Foreign Workers: the full story

Epic fail of a thread IMO.
The one that gets me is listening to NW in the afternoon and hearing McComb harping on how the "temporary" permits will have these workers staying up to *14 years* and how that "redefines temporary" and blah blah blah....

Seriously, if you went to a new country to work for *14 years*, what are the odds that you don't start to consider that "home"? If these guys are pulling in such good money, what are the chances they bring their families (if they have any) over here to live with them?

Whether they stay or not, they're not just MAKING money while they're here, they're SPENDING it as well... and if they stay, they're going to continue contributing to the economy long-term.

So what happens to the "taking jobs from Canadians" argument if they then BECOME Canadians?

And just think, it's that many more people to, say... bring Meowjin business (okay, maybe not specifically, but you get the idea).
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #97

I work underground at a Uranium mine in northern Saskatchewan and at least up here we have only a couple Chinese workers. Problem is they are terrible (electricians at least) here and get fired very quickly. Most of the miners up here are native actually that do the mining.
Posted via RS Mobile
CRX SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #98
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

The truth is.. something like this would happen if they were to temporarily work in Canada.
The only difference is they won't have their kids driving m6 and lambos since they weren't weathly to begin with.

Before working in Canada:

50% secretly plan to somehow stay in Canada forever
50% plan to reunite with their familes in China

While working in Canada:

90% figure out that we have it so much better here and want to bring their important family members over to start a new life
10% just can't fit in and like to GTFO asap

After they finish their project in Canada:

70% get kicked out
2% find a way to stay in Canada under the shadow
28% apply for citizenships and some of them make it in

I know the percentages are not even close to being accurate, but this is just for a reference anyway.
MandarinOrange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #99

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
lol orange 7 is back
what's your point though?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote