REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Looking for any witnesses (Accident @ 41st & Vic)

Time & Date: Sunday, October 14 between 7:15PM to 7:45PM
Vehicles involved: 1993 black Toyota Camry (my dad's car) & a silver 4x4 (all my dad could remember)

What happened: My dad was heading north up Victoria Drive and was making a left on 41st Ave towards Oakridge when the traffic light turned yellow, but the guy coming from the opposite direction (south down Victoria) decided to speed up (went 60-70km) to get past it and crashed into my dad's vehicle nearly head-on (passenger side corner).
My dad suffered from a fractured wrist, sprained shoulder, a concussion, and had some glass shards cut up his left hand. He was admitted into the hospital for a day.
Fire fighters arrived at the scene and had to cut the driver's side door open to get my dad out.
The other person did not suffer from any injuries.

Apparently the other guy told the police it was my dad's fault. My dad's been driving for 30+ years and has only been in 2 other accidents (none were of his fault), so I doubt it could've been my dad's mistake.

If anybody has any information or was there/driving by there that night, please contact me. It would be very much appreciated and would help a ton.

Thank you in advance
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Shit dude, sounds terrible... wish I could be a witness I wish you luck, hope your dad's doing alright!
Posted via RS Mobile
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

good luck with getting a witness. Only way your dad will get out of being at fault is if the guy entered the intersection when the light was red. The guy may have run a stale yellow but your dad still did not take the extra time to see that it was safe to enter the intersection (see if oncoming traffic was stopping or not). Best of luck but i think it might be 25/75 unless there is proof to help your dad
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolowtone View Post
good luck with getting a witness. Only way your dad will get out of being at fault is if the guy entered the intersection when the light was red. The guy may have run a stale yellow but your dad still did not take the extra time to see that it was safe to enter the intersection (see if oncoming traffic was stopping or not). Best of luck but i think it might be 25/75 unless there is proof to help your dad
Yeah it was pouring last night and vision was pretty limited, but the other guy should've chilled it and not attempt to beat a yellow, especially in that kind of weather
Thanks though
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Sorry to say but left hand turners are 99% of the time always at fault, even if the light was red and you have a witness willing to testify, it'll still be 75/25 as mentioned earlier at best.
Posted via RS Mobile
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

drove by the scene yesterday night. Looked horrific. Hope your dad is okay, but yeah left hand turners are almost always at fault
Posted via RS Mobile
Jobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

hope you find a witness!

hope your dad gets better!
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
from what you described your dad is at fault.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Left hand turns are ALMOST as cut and dried as rear ending someone... Sorry bro
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #10

Guess my dad will just have to deal with it, how unfortunate
Thanks for the insight guys!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Oh damn that was your dad. I drove by that intersection and saw the aftermath. I hope your father has a quick recovery.
Posted via RS Mobile
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
Sorry to say but left hand turners are 99% of the time always at fault, even if the light was red and you have a witness willing to testify, it'll still be 75/25 as mentioned earlier at best.
Posted via RS Mobile
Eh, then why didn't that happen to me? I ran an early yellow going speed limit, got smacked by the guy turning left. Witness said I ran the red, and I was put 100% at fault.

OP, hope your dad is okay, sounds like a bad accident.
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Get a witness bro, your dad isn't at fault, but it may not be 100% the other guy's fault either. Visibility was an issue and since the road was pretty wet that day, oil and water create a slippery surface. Left turns are somewhat tricky, but from what you described, sounded like the guy wanted to slip pass the yellow and probably didn't see your dad's car - Your dad may have been in his blind spot ( ie: A car may have blocked their view). Anyways, be sure to get an attorney ( if the dude plays stupid and blames your dad ) or check up on some security cams if they'll let you (mcdonalds might :P)

Edit: Was it something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=puO00_Ml9Fk
@0:39

Last edited by SpeedStars; 10-15-2012 at 09:44 PM.
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Damn that sucks, hopefully your dad makes a full recovery and it's nothing too serious.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
Rider

If only the accident happened earlier innthe afternoon. 41st and Victoria is the mini Chinatown area and the people around there are mostly regular c-lais buying groceries. Post up ads looking for a witness.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #16

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
hey this could be a long shot but maybe try asking banks in the surrounding area to provide their front door cam vids? or the businesses in that corner?
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferio_EG View Post
drove by the scene yesterday night. Looked horrific. Hope your dad is okay, but yeah left hand turners are almost always at fault
Posted via RS Mobile
i got into an accident where i was left turning and the guy ran a red light. witness said in the police report the light was yellow. i fought long and hard in the end only got 25% fault.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Get a witness bro, your dad isn't at fault, but it may not be 100% the other guy's fault either. Visibility was an issue and since the road was pretty wet that day, oil and water create a slippery surface. Left turns are somewhat tricky, but from what you described, sounded like the guy wanted to slip pass the yellow and probably didn't see your dad's car - Your dad may have been in his blind spot ( ie: A car may have blocked their view). Anyways, be sure to get an attorney ( if the dude plays stupid and blames your dad ) or check up on some security cams if they'll let you (mcdonalds might :P)

Edit: Was it something like this?
Red Light Camera Intersection Accidents - YouTube
@0:39
Yeah the accident looks similar, but the crash was on a much larger scale + the guy tried to rush through the yellow

man thank you guys so much, i'll be sure to check in with the businesses around there
Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboogz View Post
hey this could be a long shot but maybe try asking banks in the surrounding area to provide their front door cam vids? or the businesses in that corner?
There's a CIBC and a BMO on the corners there. Also isn't there a traffic red-light traffic cam on the BMO side of Victoria? Perhaps consult a lawyer and see if they can request that info.

Hope your dad recovers fast and everything is alright.
dutd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
If he's really been driving 30 years without an at-fault accident, it means he's deep in roadstar status and his insurance won't go up. Any lawsuits will be handled by ICBC.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
visibility would play a big factor in the car accident, if you are able to prove that he was actually speeding in those weather conditions also, he would be put at some fault too, i hope your father a speedy recovery and hope this doesnt stress yall too much
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #22
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
If he's really been driving 30 years without an at-fault accident, it means he's deep in roadstar status and his insurance won't go up. Any lawsuits will be handled by ICBC.
only thing is he could miss out on a lot of money from an injury claim if it was the other guy's fault. broken wrist and a concussion sound pretty god damn painful. hopefully no serious neck/back injuries surface in the next few days. good luck OP.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #23
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
only thing is he could miss out on a lot of money from an injury claim if it was the other guy's fault. broken wrist and a concussion sound pretty god damn painful. hopefully no serious neck/back injuries surface in the next few days. good luck OP.

my friend has something similar but luckily he got a witness after a 2 year lawsuit he got 40k from ICBC
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Need my Daily Fix of RS

damn man i was sitting in tea works when it happened. I didn't see the accident happen but I saw everything afterwards. hope your dads alright.
buddha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Hoping for a speedy recovery for your dad. Been through the left turn thing, never ends well for the turner. o

Last edited by Expresso; 10-16-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote