REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Meow

High/Low RCA connections

Hey, so a friend did my sub install for me today, he connected my high/low converter to my two rear speaker wires, it seems to be working fine, but I am wondering if it's possible to connect the high/low converter into the wiring of my now unpluged factory sub. I was hoping his way I could control the sub from my deck instead of buying a bass knob.
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

You probably could control it if your factory stereo has the ability.
Curious what kind of amp did you use? If it has a high level or speaker input then you didn't need to use the convertor.
Posted via RS Mobile
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I have seen this done on an 8th gen civic with premium sound. You connect your LOC the same way, but tap into the subwoofer wires instead of the rear speakers. That allowed for independent control of the sub from the bass
Posted via RS Mobile
aznkev03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Not all LOC's are created equally. I have seen Mercedes, Honda/Acura, Nissan and other vehicles with Bose or Monsoon systems fry a standard PAC hi/low converter on the sub output. If I were you, I would get an Audiocontrol LC2 or something else that will accept a high power or low impedance input like a champ and work well. Otherwise, regular speaker outputs should be fine with a high/low.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
straight from the fields of squamton

LC2i is such a good product. worth it's weight in gold, especially considering it's price over a cheap-o line out converter.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Meow

Hey sorry guys, I am currently driving a 2010 Acura Tsx, non navi. My sub is currently a 12inch JL w3v3-4 with a JL xd600/1 amp. Will be adding my second w3 when I get the money for Mike to build me a box.

The sub wire that is disconnected, might attempt to remove stock sub this weekend.

So the blue wires connected to the left and right deck speakers is my hi/low converter.

Is it possible to run my current set up to the old sub wires? How do I connect the 4 wires to the 2 for the old sub? Would it sound better this way? How does the LC2 compare to the JL clean sweep?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Doest JL havev a built in speaker level input? Should also havle lcurrent sensing turn-on which eliminates the need for extra wiring. If its there use it and enjoy it. It works quite well and saves you some money.
Posted via RS Mobile
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Yes, the JL does have the ability to acept hi level input - You will need to solder on some RCAs to the ends of the speaker wires to make it work. I can do that for you when you come by. Cleansweep is good but redundant in this case.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote