REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Competitors to the 335xi

I doubt I'll get another car for at least another year, but who knows how well my book will do when I release it soon. If it does really well, the first thing I'm going to do is not change my lifestyle or expenses.

After paying off some bullshit, I'm going to get another car.

I really like the idea of something with 4 comfortable seats, turbo, and AWD. It must have style, a sunroof, and a rocking stereo.

From what I've read, the 335xi is super reliable, the transmission can handle serious power, and it's drop-dead timelessly good looking.

What else is there? Any 335xi owners want to chime in with their experiences?

Without a car it limits the number of hot chicks I can possibly date at once, haha.(STDs are like pokemon, got to collect them all)
Advertisement
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
I don't know about 335ix but I did have a E90 335i 6AT for a couple years. I assume the 335ix is the same thing except with xDrive. Are you looking for AT or MT? The E90 sedan or the E92 coupe or E93 convertible? I think its a great car, comfortable, powerful, and handles well. Its a wonderful daily driver, I still prefer it to the M3 if I am stuck in the city making commutes everyday.

Couple things you need to know if you don't already:

-HPFP, BMW still don't have a solid fix for it, but its got a 10year warranty on that part alone.
-Wastegate rattle, a fairly common annoyance on the earlier cars, some had the turbos replaced by BMW under warranty.
-Injectors, misfires and jerking, usually tied to the HPFP.

I am sure most of the 335i are fine, but there is a bunch I believe 07-08 that suffer from a lot of small problems. Mine was 08 and I had pretty much every thing gone wrong. Tranny/HPFP/injectors/gaskets/vanos, just to list a few... I am sure I can dig up a lot more.

I guess it depends how hard you will drive the car and will you tune it or not. I ran a tune on mine and thats when all the gremlins popped up. Good luck on your decision!

I'd honestly suggest a S4 if your looking for a comfy/awd/force induction saloon.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
I doubt I'll get another car for at least another year, but who knows how well my book will do when I release it soon. If it does really well, the first thing I'm going to do is not change my lifestyle or expenses.

After paying off some bullshit, I'm going to get another car.

I really like the idea of something with 4 comfortable seats, turbo, and AWD. It must have style, a sunroof, and a rocking stereo.

From what I've read, the 335xi is super reliable, the transmission can handle serious power, and it's drop-dead timelessly good looking.

What else is there? Any 335xi owners want to chime in with their experiences?

Without a car it limits the number of hot chicks I can possibly date at once, haha.(STDs are like pokemon, got to collect them all)
From my exp with the coupe, it's not really AWD, most ratio is still at the rear. Hence, pretty horrible during winter unless just flat road snow. Steering feel and brakes response deffinitely one of the best for its category. Not that fast due to its heaviness, but much more than enough for daily driving.

Also don't forget to get the aero front spoiler lip! To unlimit the number of "rides" you can possibly get at once
Slow63 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong View Post
I'd honestly suggest a S4 if your looking for a comfy/awd/force induction saloon.

You dick, I spent like an hour reading up on the B8 S4, it seems pretty bad ass

Unfortunately, it's 3 inches longer than the 335, and I prefer smaller cars. I wonder if the back seat is comfortable? For sitting, that is
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Are you thinking of the E9x generation of of the 335? If so I would say S4 as well. The E90 interior really isn't much to write home about. The new F30's are a different story though.

Unless you are into tuning, modding, and otherwise getting stupid power out of the 335 turbo, I would say S4 again.

Ever thought about the new VW Golf R? Its really not cheap, but its also not mainstream.

Such a bummer that they didn't bring the Opel Insignia OPC over. We only get the slightly warmed over Buick Regal GS.

Also, don't hate me for bringing so much to the table. Take a look at the new Cadillac ATS. 2.0 turbo with available AWD.
Compact Luxury Sport Sedan | 2013 Cadillac ATS
Its not the same level as the 335 I don't hink, but I personally quite like Cadillacs.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Legacy Spec B, Mazdaspeed 6....... hmmm what else...?

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
2011+ 35s will be the twinscroll, and less if no hpfp issues.

xi will feel a bit different over the rwd counter part as the front steering knuckle, and control arms are different to handle the added weight and stress of a front diff and axles.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

+1 for S4.

My friend has a 2011 S4. AWD, Supercharged V6, very fast.

Backseat appears smaller than a E90 sedan and definitely smaller than the F30 though.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Yeah I gotta say s4 too. As for the 3 inches, you aren't going to notice that minimal of a size increase. Or if you have a bit more money, an rs4, if you want a fucking monster.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
For those that say S4 why? Its really easy and cheap to get extra power from a 335i. The S4 had a lot of understeer when I drove one.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
^^ + 1

not to mention VAG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
I bringith the lowerballerith

Jason Have you looked into Japanese cars?

When I was in the market for a brand spanking new car,I looked at what the Germans,Japanese and even what the Yankees had to offer,test drove all of them,did my research online and even walked up to owners of the cars I was interested in and asked them their opinion on what they liked and hated about the car,the pros & cons,whole nine yards.I narrowed my choices down to two cars,the Lexus IS350 and the Cadillac CTS.

I ended up with the Lexus and don't regret it one bit,it's been dead reliable with no problems whatsoever.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
speed6 isn't fulltime AWD tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
Legacy Spec B, Mazdaspeed 6....... hmmm what else...?
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I know that it doesn't have FI, but have you considered the G37x sedan?

It has a sunroof, awd, a punchy sound system and lots of power.

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriverman View Post
I know that it doesn't have FI, but have you considered the G37x sedan?

It has a sunroof, awd, a punchy sound system and lots of power.
Also being completely redesigned for 2014 I believe
Posted via RS Mobile
mj_39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Closest competitors I would say audi s4/s5, and MB c350
for non-euro you can probably put is350, g35/37 on the list as well

and why would you need an xi in vancouver? rwd ftw!
save some money and gas as well
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

had a 09 335i and a 06 330i before and here are my experience..

I found that these cars are great the first 2 years...but after 3 years/60,000km+, you start getting tons of problem (I had my 09 335i in for warranty service about 8-10 times this year alone. In contract, I dont' remember bringing my car in for warranty service at all the first 2 years)
It is almost as if BMW designed these cars to start failing after 3-4 years...
idrive would randomly reboot, and all warning lights come on out of nowhere telling me all the ABS, DSC, DBC, FTM system are inactive, had turbo/hpfp replaced, spark plug replaced, fuel injector replaced, muffler replaced, steering bolt loose, windshield fluid pump leaking...

It is still a great car to drive...and I guess these are no big deals if you are only leasing the car for 2-3 years and returning it

Also drove the new F30 328i for a few days last time I was in for service...
didn't like it so much....the interior feels and look the same as the E90
The steering wheel feels lighter and the materials feels cheaper, but that's probably because of the different trims/package (I have the M-sport on the E90, while the F30 loaner was a base model)
That constant auto stop/start engine thing is a pain in the ass...my parent's hybrid lexus has the same features, but the F30 engine start feels a lot more noticeable and jerkier
The signal light on the side mirror is very distracting..it is right on the corner of your peripheral vision and I always thought a car was coming up right beside me when I use the turn signal...
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
I STILL don't get it

are you getting MT or AT? I've test driven MT 335 and B8 S4 as well as AT 335 and B8 S4. I've owned 2 MT 335s and had regular access to a AT 335 and AT B8 S4 through family.
MT S4 I drove was god awful. Nothing beats a MT 3 series with sport/msport package.
If you're getting AT; they're both just as boring with the AT, so S4 or 335 doesn't really matter imo.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
For those that say S4 why? Its really easy and cheap to get extra power from a 335i. The S4 had a lot of understeer when I drove one.
S4 comes better optioned for less money, and looks a lot nicer in my opinion. Of course looks are subjective. I think the cheap power in the 335 comes at a cost in terms of wear and tear more so than on the s4 as well. Don't forget CTS turbo is right in our backyard here too. Maybe one of the best VW/Audi tuners for turbo vehicles on the continent. I am actually way more of a bmw fanboi than one would think looking at my past 2 cars, but looks wise, the non M, 3 series of today look so blah in stock form. Either car would be boner inducing for me in the end.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Infiniti G37XS,

329hp, you can boost 4lbs bring you up to over 400+hp, awd in 2dr and 4dr
Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow63 View Post
From my exp with the coupe, it's not really AWD, most ratio is still at the rear. Hence, pretty horrible during winter unless just flat road snow. Steering feel and brakes response deffinitely one of the best for its category. Not that fast due to its heaviness, but much more than enough for daily driving.

Also don't forget to get the aero front spoiler lip! To unlimit the number of "rides" you can possibly get at once
Not sure what you are talking about in terms of winter. 335xi with snow tires is a beast in the snow. Even through the worst conditions. Were you driving with all seasons or summer tires?

Also its slow? lol. ok.....check the stats
Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohboi View Post
Infiniti G37XS,

329hp, you can boost 4lbs bring you up to over 400+hp, awd in 2dr and 4dr
stock 335xi is faster, even though 300hp...more torque
Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #23
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Don't but a used BMW.
LP560 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

CTS Turbo? Biggest hacks in the game!
LP560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #25

Elaborate. I know DOZENS of big turbo vw and audis running their kits, and products, all with nothing but good things to say. Even PM if you want to not clog up the thread. I intend to take a trip there and would like to hear some negatives.